Day of Awakening (2)
33 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The boisterous laughter, the tinkling of glasses, the swirling of fancy garments, and the shining lights from the chandeliers up above created a picturesque scene within the large ballroom. Colors of every variety were worn that day whether it be green, black, or a stunning red, and just like the dresses the guests themselves were of many varieties. Beautiful young women dressed in tinkling jewels laughed amongst each other, those of age would every so often glance at particular suitors that happened to catch their eye. The charming young men of the ballroom joked around in a sophisticated manner, many of whom attempted to show off their strengths, hoping to at least catch the eye of a madam. Congregated within the middle of the ballroom were remarkably young children as they played and showed off to one another, their unrefined mannerisms were noted meticulously by the keen eyes of their parents. Sitting away from the younger generation were the Nobles of the glorious Fortunis Empire. Their conversations were meek and quiet in comparison to their offspring, yet their ears were sharp despite the distractions. The Day of Awakening was akin to a holiday, but in the political atmosphere of the Empire the scene among the Nobles was tense, much unlike the joyous laughter and grinning swirling in the ballroom.

 

Every word spoken by these Nobles grouped so closely together was deliberated through completely, so as to not reveal any unnecessary information.

 

However among these groups of Nobles were numerous children of the same age. The same age of Viran, and the real stars of the day. Each and every child there had already turned ten years old, and were prepared for the Day of Awakening. For children like these it was all practically assured that a God will choose them, but besides being chosen by a God there also remained the chance that a blessing will be bestowed upon them. Most sat around aloof and in a deep silence, a perfect portrayal of Noble elegance. Others shifted often within their seat, whether it be the high expectations put on them or the unfamiliarity with being in a group of people, it was evident these children shared anxiety over the issue. The remaining few opting in to join the varying conversations around them, a sign of intelligence and maturity for their age. Within these many variations from quiet, restless, and mature there remained a severe outlier. A boy different from others, his umber hair shook gently as he coughed lightly to himself.

 

“I see what you mean.” Viran said to Ry within his mind.

 

“Heh. I did tell you not to get your hopes up.” Ry said with a small chuckle, as though he enjoyed the show right in front of him.

 

Although Viran showed a quiet elegance that was approved by the many Nobles around, yet small spurts of restlessness would show through as he coughed lightly or ran his fingers through his hair in a fast manner.

 

The cause of such silence and restlessness from the young boy was due to the surrounding Nobles, or perhaps better put lack thereof.

 

In such a large banquet organization was a must, and of course all attendees were told of the seating arrangements before they had even arrived at the ballroom. Since the banquet hadn’t started yet the Nobles would often move seats towards people of interest for some talkative conversation, and the younger generation themselves stood out within the center of the ballroom. Viran was also placed at a wonderful, and expensive table. The only problem being the table was only big enough to sit two people, and the small table itself was moved a large distance away from most Nobles.

 

A small child of a particularly grandiose background sat alone from the rest, such special accommodations aren’t unheard of but are rarely seen. Not to mention in such a fashion as well, such a thing was bound to be brought up in the circles of the Nobles. Conversations that Viran himself heard almost perfectly with his heightened senses as he sat alone.

 

“That’s the Idicium’s boy ain’t it? There was a real nasty rumor ‘while back… Supposedly he attacked his Brother and was beat up heavily as a result.”

 

“Hmph. Leave it to the Idicium’s to do such a thing to their own children. I can say in full confidence that there is something wrong in their heads.”

 

“I’ve seen that boy somewhere… He came out of the servant’s houses outside early this morning didn’t he?”

 

“Why would a boy like him come out of the servant’s quarters so early… Perhaps he grew up earlier than the other children? Ha! I bet we’ll hear some lecherous rumors about that boy in only a few years from now!”

 

Viran’s face heated up slightly when his ears picked up that last comment. His fingernail quickly bit deep into the side of his other nail hard enough to draw blood, yet despite the strength Viran felt no pain from it whatsoever.

 

“Wow kid you’re really something special! A table all to yourself, you must feel plenty lucky!” Ry said in a mocking tone with enthusiasm.

 

Viran quickly turned his face slightly to show he was ignoring his Spirit companion, though that really was of no use due to the Spirit living in his mind.

 

“Don’t get mopey on me, kid. The real fun is about to start tomorrow during the Day of Awakening… Though I suppose the holiday will have a different connotation to it.”

 

Viran’s toe tapped lightly onto the marble ground as he tried to pass the time by thinking of other things, yet his ears would always follow whatever the Nobles said about him. Most of the gossip was of course negative towards him, but Viran was filled with a curiosity like none other.

 

‘Well at least I’m not a mess like him.’ Viran thought to himself as he gazed at a familiar boy.

 

Sitting alongside Lord Idicium and other Nobles was Gregory, Viran’s half-brother.

 

His coal black hair looked to be raggedy and thin and his own clothes were stained with a red wine, staining it in multiple locations. His own eyes constantly darted from left to right, the boy seemed considerably on edge as sweat was close to beating down his own face, a face that has since lost its youthful hue only to be replaced by a pale sallow. Viran could see everything clearly from where he sat, the shaky hands, the shallow breath, and the cowardly stupor the boy would find himself in whenever someone called out his name.

 

“Hoh. So that’s what it is.” Ry exclaimed.

 

“What is? What’s wrong with him?” Viran asked back.

 

“...Well I don’t want to ruin the surprise, now do I?”

 

Viran shook his head with a sigh. He was unsure just how to treat Ry. Oftentimes the Spirit was completely unreliable, but other times his presence and advice was crucial for Viran. That much he had to admit.

 

“If you stood your ground more often, maybe I would tell you.”

 

“Would you really?” Viran huffed.

 

“No, I wouldn’t.”

 

Though most of the time the Spirit was simply too intolerable for him to handle.

 

Amidst the gossip and chatter that swirled around the entire ballroom, making it quite hard to hear, the small noise of a tinkling glass silenced the room within a single moment. As if they had planned it beforehand the attention of every person in attendance was solely upon a well dressed old woman with a sparkling crystal glass within her hands. Her smooth and pristine voice filled the room.

 

“His majesty, Emperor Clarus II will be arriving within moments. Please go to your assigned seats and await his arrival.”

 

Just as her words ended men and women alike swept past each other as they scrambled to arrive at their seats. The younger children who hadn’t remembered their seating or had gotten wrong were quietly admonished before being brought back to their right seat. The Nobles and their children alike sat in a refined manner, and the uneasy ones attempted to stifle their disturbed nerves as they waited for the Emperor to arrive.

 

Amongst all of this Viran merely looked down at his own table, he didn’t need to move at all. As his gaze swept through the orderly sat Nobles and their tables, Viran noticed a certain pattern between them. Though Viran was almost completely unaware of the political situation that plagued the Empire deeply, Sir Leonard still made sure to drill into him the names of the renowned Lords within the Empire and their own political affiliations. From the knowledge he had spent countless hours remembering it seemed as though all of the more well known Lords were placed with other Lords that shared the same sympathies with them, or in other words, were a part of the same faction that wished to dominate the politics of the Empire.

 

“I guess you need to be able to do that much if you want to be Emperor.” Viran mumbled to himself.

 

“Oh you noticed? Whew.” Ry sighed in relief. “I really was beginning to think I had chosen a dolt as a host!”

 

Viran silently cursed to himself as he waited for the Emperor’s imminent arrival.

“-That’s why, if he reigns upon his promise, I wish to ask your help regarding this.” The thunderous and divine voice filled the entire room as a pressure fell upon the shoulders of an elderly individual.

 

“Very well, we’ll have to speak about specifics at a later time, though. I have a banquet to attend to after all.”

 

Just as the pressure lifted from the room the elderly man swept back his mangled white hair as he clicked his tongue in displeasure. The sudden request from a God was one to be glad of, but there were distinct negatives that associated itself with each request.

 

Emperor Clarus had spent too much time readying his hair for the banquet, yet whenever a Godly being communicates with him it all becomes ruined within a moment. The Emperor with his wrinkled face winced as he looked at his hair once more in the mirror, it’s past glory was completely muddled.

 

Despite his urge to spend another hour readying himself for the banquet, Emperor Clarus knew what things had priority over the other. The Emperor quickly reached to his neck to grab the silver chain that hung their idly. Attached to the chain was a purple pendant with a swirling pattern embedded within it, making it appear as though it was just an exotic seashell.

 

“I suppose we should act according to his wishes. It’s only another debt he will have towards you after all, Lord Fraus.” Emperor Clarus’ wrinkled face curved as a small smile plastered over his face.

 

“Hrm.” The God Fraus groaned slightly in contemplation. “It would be a good idea to have Craynor go along with my wishes in the future… But with the changing of eras the impossible becomes possible, I fear that our actions may have a far reaching effect that we cannot possibly know of. That boy especially.”

 

Emperor Clarus’ excited eyes dampen for a moment with disappointment as he responds with his own view on the matter.

 

“That may be true, but with the changing of eras we need to prepare enough before disaster falls upon my Empire. We cannot let opportunities like these run by us! Complacency in times like these will only lead us to ruin.”

 

Just as the Emperor finishes speaking he promptly checks himself once more in the mirror as he throws his white hair over.

 

“Now, I have a banquet to attend to Lord Fraus. Please, just think about it.”

 

Just as the Emperor drops the purple pendant down his neck once again he speaks, not to anymore but rather himself. As though he himself is attempting to convince himself of his own words.

 

“Inaction now will only ensure we are left behind as the world carries on.”

 

The Emperor steps out of the room, preparing himself for what was to come next.

1