Southbound to Creaton Falls (1)
28 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“W-why are you here?”

 

Viran’s bewildered voice echoed throughout the desolate estate. Blood seeped deep into the dark soil beneath. Bodies were littered around in a gruesome manner as the crimson smell drifted into Viran’s nose.

 

“Shouldn’t you be thanking me?” Marcus asked with a straight face as he sheathed his sword cleanly.

 

“O-oh right. Thank you…” Viran said in a shocked manner.

 

He hadn’t thought about it back in Tenus Forest, but Marcus and the others must have been extremely strong considering the difference in numbers. Marcus especially, he had taken out a near dozen men without a single injury to himself. Were Viran to fight head on, he wasn’t sure he would be able to procure the same ending.

 

“Why would your guards try to kill you again?” Marcus asked suddenly as he pushed a corpse over onto its back before checking its pockets cleanly. It was clear enough that Marcus had little qualms with looting the deceased, Viran couldn’t care about it as well.

 

Towards Marcus’ question Viran was stunned. He wasn’t completely sure as to why they suddenly tried to kill him, although Viran wasn’t a Noble anymore his Father wouldn’t order him dead… 

 

“It doesn’t matter.”

 

Viran blurted out his answer immediately. Viran couldn’t understand why he had so much faith in the same Father that repeatedly went out of his way to suppress Viran, even to the point where he exiled Viran out of House Idicium.

 

“He made a Greater Contract with Craynor, my Father did. We have no relation to each other anymore.” Said Viran.

 

The Gods of the Empire and its people are in a cooperative pact where both parties benefit in the end. The Gods gain power through the faith of their followers while they gain access to the blessings of their God and a like-minded organization that will more likely assist them. Most followers of their God prefer this simple give and take contract between follower and God, however many are swept into an even greater contract. A Greater Contract essentially makes the follower completely reliant on their God. In exchange for some sort of blessing or wish from the God the follower is forced into a Greater Contract making them a close-aide to the God’s dealings within the world. No matter what the God orders the follower must follow to the letter or risk punishment.

 

What wish Lord Idicum had, it was unknown. But practically everyone in the Empire had already heard, and now House Idicium is said to be ruled first by a God and then Man.

 

“That so…” Marcus muttered as he thought. “Well I could use a kid’s help I guess.”

 

“Alright that settles it you’re coming with me.”

 

The assured and confident figure of Marcus stunned Viran as he wildly thought. Viran expected himself to refuse simply on impulse, yet his mouth only hung open as tears stung his eyes. He didn’t know why he began crying. Was it because of his memories of Tenus Forest? Or perhaps it was simply because he had no place to call home anymore. A faint feeling was felt in the depths of Viran’s chest, and it reminded him that he truly has no attachment with any person or place. His very presence in Wakeford Village caused so much trouble for the residents; Viran knew that their compassion could only stand so much in the end.

 

But even so Viran hesitated still. He wanted to leave with Marcus… But was that really alright? Viran knew that if he wasn’t killed here he would only cause trouble for the people he meets in the future. His teacher’s deaths were his fault before, and he couldn’t stand to let it happen again. Viran could feel his heart thumping out of rhythm, yet he hadn’t a clue why.

 

“Don’t think too much about it.” Ry said calmly.

 

It hadn’t been long since Ry spoke, yet Viran felt at ease hearing that familiar voice despite how much he despised its words.

 

“You’ve been told this before but… Thinking about why you feel these things is useless, boy. Just do what you want.”

 

Viran’s eyes shut tight as he spurred his mana once more. He was looking at what was happening to the villagers below… And he finally spoke.

 

“Yes…” Viran said in a shaky voice.

 

“Would you please allow me?”

 

Marcus simply nodded in a strange way when suddenly Viran could feel his hands weighed down by some metallic object. Yet even without looking at it, he knew just what it was. The unique texture and feel was unlike any other.

 

“I found this in the mansion earlier. I didn’t find a scabbard small enough to fit the blade, but I’m sure you’ll make do.” Marcus said as he gave Viran the cerulean steel blade.

 

The sword itself was given to him long ago by Marcus as a parting gift and it had been with him ever since. It was the first sword he personally took care of, and the sword that had kept him safe for so long.

 

“...Thank you.” Viran thanked Marcus sincerely.

 

Marcus and Viran begin to walk out of the estate together with a sword in hand. Looking down upon the village that sat still in an eerie silence, Viran and Marcus prepare themselves for the Knights walking forward into the estate in a jubilant fashion.

 

Viran heaved a sigh of relief when he heard the cries of terror from the village girl being dragged not far behind the Knights. The boy was glad they hadn’t done anything to her yet, being responsible for the cruelty thrust upon her wouldn’t dwell well in Viran’s mind.

 

In a quick discussion Viran and Marcus were able to plan out how things would turn out. As they both sat in silence across from one another waiting for the Knights to enter through the wall’s gate Viran felt something was peculiar. Something felt wrong with the estate, but the boy was unable to figure out just what was different. He quickly dispelled the worry from his mind as his blade pointed downwards to the ground at the ready.

 

The boy sat in silence as he waited for the right moment to kill.

 

The shuffling of steps and rustling of armor grew louder every second. The boisterous laughter and girlish screams of terror only served to cause Viran to clench his sword tighter.

 

“What?”

 

The Knight in front uttered a word of confusion to the chaos all around only to be killed a second later. Marcus’ blade was wedged fully into his chest by Viran. The boy had no misgivings to killing these people, he hadn’t thought of it anything special anyways. It was something he felt he needed to do.

 

“Die.” The hollow word spoken by Viran seemed to usher in the chaos that happened only a second later.

 

Viran pulled his sword clean out of the dead body before kicking it over. He felt the warmth that his mana injected throughout his body as he swiped his blade across the arm of another Knight. Blood flushed out of the wound as he forearm flew through the air and quickly Viran changed targets once more. In front of Viran stood a Knight as he agitatedly tried to slip his sword out of his scabbard, but he was never given the chance. As soon as Viran put his attention on the Knight his mana-reinforced leg kicked directly into the Knight’s knee. A crunch, a scream, and a thud all came out at once from the Knight as he cradled his destroyed kneecap.

 

“Goddammit!” A Knight yelled as he ran towards Viran with a morning star.

 

His arm spread out high in the air as he prepared to swipe down onto Viran’s skull. However a splitting image of Marcus’ black blade flew through the air and continued on through the Knight’s neck and the bodies of three more Knights beyond him before dissipating into wisps of black smoke. The Knight’s lost nearly ten people all within a minute and the concern could clearly be seen on their faces. The remaining few Knights were either cowards or complete drunks and they began to run away in a hurry, leaving those with backbones to fight their battle.

 

“Hey-!” The Knight turned back to stop them from running only to feel his blood rush out of his mouth and body. His eyes turned down only to see a thin blue blade sticking out of his body.

 

Viran’s dark grainy blue blade was dyed crimson in the blood of the Knights, yet that never made it any less efficient in killing these Knights.

 

With a lunge forward Marcus killed with an icy face. His signature calmness was active as he killed with impunity. Were others to watch Marcus swing his blade as a black mana buzzed on the outline of his blade they would be amazed by how everytime he swung his sword another Knight would be maimed or killed, but Viran was different.

 

Viran stood there with his eyes locked onto the form of Marcus and it amazed him. Viran knew little about true swordsmanship besides what he had picked up along the way and made better himself, but he could swear he saw a pattern in the movements of Marcus. It was as though Marcus’ swordsmanship was possessed by a triumphant God, every single swipe exuded a confidence and arrogance only befitting the strongest within the world.

 

There was rhythm in every battle thought, except it seemed that Marcus created his own rhythm and forced it upon others. Although Marcus fought harshly against numerous enemies at once he never let them decide the rhythm of battle. Marcus would force them to follow in his lead. Not a single blade or arrow could reach him, and they were all dispatched without being able to put up much resistance.

 

“...Do you think you can emulate that?” Ry curiosity was obviously piqued by the swordsmanship of Marcus.

 

As Viran was about to answer, the remaining few Knights ran towards him instead of battling the demon that was Marcus. Viran had tried to ingrain every movement of Marcus into his head. He wanted to try to do it… But attempting to follow another’s swordsmanship had its own risks in battle, just the same as spells.

 

“Luminous-!” The cry of a Knight was cut off harshly by the cleaving of a sword into his neck.

 

Viran’s body thrummed with mana, and although he had grown quite considerably it was obvious that his body’s mana was prepared to reach its end. Viran needed to finish whatever Knights he could in a safe manner, but he couldn’t hold himself back.

 

As Viran’s mana thrummed throughout his body in a wildfire, his blade danced through steel and flesh. Viran expertly attempted to emulate Marcus’ example, but there was still something different about both of them. Viran could tell that Marcus’ swordsmanship still exuded more of a heavy-handed and arrogant manner yet Viran was nowhere close to that point. 

 

As the last Knight fell Viran didn’t care about the blood that dyed his clothes and himself. All the boy did was slump his arms by his eyes as he stared at the sky above. The boy wasn’t feeling remorse for the Knights he had slain, rather he was thinking about the fight. While it is true Viran is definitely skilled enough, he had Marcus’ help and the jump on the Knights. Were Viran to face these Knights alone while they were prepared fully, there was simply no way Viran would be able to go through that alive.

 

He hated that fact, but it was something he needed to accept. However his inner thoughts were interrupted by the sputtering of the village girl.

 

“Y-you…” The village girl muttered in shock as she stared at Viran. The body and the blood around her, it was something she was obviously afraid of. However that much wasn’t too far out of reach, what truly was though Viran’s own eerie calmness despite having taken the lives of numerous men while dressed in their blood. It was the very image of a Devil in her eyes.

 

“You ok?” Viran asked as he walked forward, however something unexpected happened instead.

 

“G-get away! Get away!” The village girl screeched in terror as her hands fumbled on the ground.

 

As she fumbled to her feet she backed away from the blood covered Viran. The blood that dyed over Viran’s face was too gruesome and terrifying for her to handle, and the blade still dripping a warm blood caused her face to turn pale. She had watched dozens of Knights die without being able to put up a fight. Their guts fell out of their stomachs, they cradled their fallen limbs on the ground, while the rest couldn’t hide the shock written on their bodiless heads. Many had died without suffering, but most had to suffer as they died slowly.

 

“Go. Shoo.” Marcus waved his hands as he shooed away the village girl, this easily procured a hateful glance from Viran.

 

“...” The village girl looked on as fear seeped out of her eyes as Marcus’ black blade before running away. Blood dripped off of her farmer clothing as she ran away through the bloody mud.

 

“Did you have to be like that to her?” Viran asked as he shook his head slightly. Though tiredness lingered over his body and mind he felt himself a bit excited.

 

“We don’t have time to waste on a girl like that. Grab whatever shit you need here, then we leave immediately.” Marcus said simply as he began to look through the dead corpses again.

 

Viran’s head turned softly in confusion, just where were they going? Luckily for the boy, it seemed Marcus clearly knew what Viran was thinking.

 

“Far South by the Frontier, Creaton Falls.” Marcus said as a slight anger lingered in his voice. “I need to pay a visit to a lass down there.”

Within the matter of an hour Viran and Marcus left Wakeford village. Within the matter of two weeks, two cloaked individuals showed themselves at the front of Wakeford village.

 

“What a shitty place…” The taller cloaked individual said in a light tone as they peered at the villagers that stared back fearfully at the outsiders. Somehow joy could be heard in their voice as well.

 

The shorter cloaked individual beside them giggled in response to their words. Her small hands reach up to the hem of her hood as she pulls it down revealing a small girl near in age to Viran. Her black hair ran along her neck and down her back as her purple pupils showed her curiosity towards the village. However no matter how much the small girl looked, she didn’t find what she was looking for.

 

“Well I don’t see any Knights here… I suppose we do have a hunt with the Devil.”

 

A childlike grin expanding on her face immediately as she began to walk along with her companion.

 

1