Chapter 25 (part 2)
4.3k 5 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thankfully, Ning Wan quickly got the flowers away. Fu Zheng's symptoms gradually eased.

But though Auntie Xiao and her 'great love' had left, Fu Zheng couldn't feel at ease. When he thought back on Auntie Xiao's mannerisms, he began to feel like this was a bigger deal than he had thought.

He coughed. "Ning Wan, is this a sacrifice I must make for my career?" Then awkwardly admitted, "Something went wrong. Will you help me out?"

She looked at him and smiled. "What, weren't you going to solve the problem all by yourself? I just asked you to make some small talk with Auntie Xiao. No one asked you to go play around like that, did they?"

Ning Wan was going to criticize him further, but when she lifted her head, she found Fu Zheng staring at her with miserable eyes. His cold, aloof mannerisms were swept away to reveal a pathetic, injured look, and he was looking at her like an enormous, abandoned dog: 'You will help me, won't you? A righteous person like you wouldn't just sit on the sidelines and watch me worry, right?'

All of a sudden, Ning Wan could no longer keep up her fierceness. She wasn't capable of being cruel when Fu Zheng showed her weakness like this. All she could do was look away and pretend to cough. "Fine, who made me your mentor? But in the future, make it easier on me and listen to what I say, alright?"

Fu Zheng nodded obediently.

 

Without further ado, Ning Wan took the little pot of La Mer and met up with Auntie Xiao at a nearby café. Since she had taken the job, she wasn't going to put it off.

She had originally intended on impressing Auntie Xiao with her frankness and sincerity, persuade her to give up the idea of pursuing Fu Zheng, and finally return that expensive pot of cream. But even after she had talked for half an hour, Auntie Xiao remained silent.

"No, I won't do it. Am I hurting anyone? Is it illegal to pursue the path of my love?" Auntie Xiao said in a tragic tone. "Is it because I'm old that you think I don't deserve to enjoy being a woman? I'm just appreciating him! I just want Xiao Fu to enter my household registry! I'm a woman with courage and resources, and if I never chase my dreams, how will they ever come true?"

“……”

It is said that square dancing is the shadow of the rivers and lakes. One who could become a square dance leader might have been risen at least to the head of a sect in the ancient martial arts world. Their power was not to be scoffed at. Ning Wan had talked herself hoarse, yet Auntie Xiao had not budged even a little on the topic of her mad love...

But fortunately, Ning Wan had come prepared. She bit her lower lip and looked at Auntie Xiao meaningfully. "Sister Xiao, there are some things one can only hint at. I wonder if you've ever heard of this sort of thing? Some people are unable to fall in love with the opposite sex."

"What do you mean?" Auntie Xiao frowned.

Ning Wan did not answer outright. Instead, she gave Auntie Xiao a sidelong glance. "Sister Xiao, I've heard you have a 22-year-old son?"

"Yes, what about him?" Auntie Xiao answered, puzzled. "It's fine. My son won't interfere with my second spring. He's encouraged me to find a boyfriend."

"Thank goodness! That means he's quite a tolerant and broad-minded young man. You see, if you appreciate Fu Zheng so much that you must have his name in your household registry at all costs, you would have better luck changing your way of thinking and introducing your son to Fu Zheng. You know, this sort of thing is quite accepted among young people nowadays," Ning Wan insinuated with a smile. "You might not be able to lawfully have him on your household registry in China, but it's legal in many places abroad..."

At first, Auntie Xiao couldn't keep up, but the more she heard, the more her face fell. She lowered her voice, moved a little closer to Ning Wan, and whispered, "Do you mean that Xiao Fu..."

Ning Wan nodded, sorrow written all over her face. "Yes indeed, auntie. Fu Zheng is... Well, in short, I hope you'll keep this just between us, and... I am terribly sorry for your loss."

Auntie Xiao was silent. Auntie Xiao shed tears. Auntie Xiao's second spring was gone before it even began...

She heaved a bitter sigh. "Not at all, I still think very well of Xiao Fu. I won't discriminate against him, and I'll keep this secret for him..."

The desolate atmosphere sounded as though Fu Zheng was about to meet his maker. The next step would probably be to burn some paper money oh his behalf...

Devastated, Auntie Xiao murmured, "Fate is shallow, but love is deep. I didn't expect that… my only blessing with Xiao Fu would be as sisters…"

Uh...

Well, although her means might have been a bit unconventional, Ning Wan had completed her mission and cut off Auntie Xiao's affections.

 

Fu Zheng waited for an hour in the office before Ning Wan finally returned.

"Done!" She made an OK gesture to Fu Zheng and glanced at the clock. "Gosh, it's almost time to get off work. Come on, let's go to my house for dinner tonight. Room and board has officially begun!"

Unfortunately for her enthusiasm, Fu Zheng's heart was against it. "No need." He looked at her and said calmly, "I haven't been short of money recently. Since I have some spare cash, I won't bother you."

"But aren't you still in debt? Don't worry about it! Come and eat with me. Even if a fly is small, it's still meat. Even a few hundred yuan saved is still money!"

At this point, Fu Zheng could only blame his previous self for having been overenthusiastic in creating his persona. Now, in order to decline Ning Wan's cooking for a year, he could only strive to survive. "My family's business picked up a little, just in time to pay off the debt. There is a little money left, barely enough to buy a house and a car. I'm not that short on money."

He smiled at Ning Wan as though pretending to be strong. "As you know, a man should bear responsibility for himself. I'm no longer in such difficulty that I can keep accepting your kindness. There are people in this world who have it far harder than me."

"Where are you going to eat tonight?"

Fu Zheng pursed his lips and smiled. "Don't worry, I made a few dishes last night. I can go home and heat them up. They're cheap and good, and cleaner than eating outside. Poor children mature quickly, and I've already learnt how to take care of myself. You don't have to worry."

Hearing these words, Ning Wan finally rescinded her warm invitation.

 

Ning Wan really was gullible. In the end, not only did she buy Fu Zheng's story, but she was very touched by his ability to improve himself and gave him a few words of encouragement before bidding him goodbye.

Ever since she recovered from her operation, Fu Zheng's mother had been traveling abroad. When Fu Zheng landed in Rong City, she was still overseas, and his other relatives in the region were off vacationing all over the world. Apart from Gao Yuan, none of them were free to welcome him.

Because his mother had left in a hurry, she hadn't left him the keys to her home. The other houses they owned were currently empty, with no furniture or daily necessities. Fu Zheng had thus decided to stay in a hotel temporarily, and he had been there for a while. Fortunately, tonight his mother's flight would be landing, and he would finally say goodbye to hotel life.

He also actually had an appointment that evening.

His cousin Zhou Yingying was finally back from her ski trip in Hokkaido. Before going to the airport to meet his mother, Fu Zheng had agreed to have dinner with her.

The place was a small western restaurant owned by a three-star Michelin chef. Although it was expensive, it was an elegant environment, with few guests.

Fu Zheng arrived before Zhou Yingying, so he sat down to read the menu. Since he wasn't paying attention to his surroundings, he had no idea that his figure had already fallen into the eyes of an observant and conscientious person--

Ning Wan was standing outside the glass door of the upscale boutique restaurant, staring at him.

14