Chapter 2 – Heroines are Dumb and Oblivious
7.9k 12 221
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It has been a few days since I've accepted that I am, in fact, in a fantasy world.

But, it won’t affect my life too much.

After all, I’m a mob character with no redeeming qualities.

My neighbours invited me to join them for lunch today. They had a good harvest of sweet potatoes from their backyard. And naturally, good food must be shared.

This is how small communities function; looking after each other’s back and helping out when needed.

Towards the centre of the large circular wooden table was a bowl of steaming sweet potatoes. When broken in half, the sweet potatoes shine deliciously golden. It's not much, but for us commoners, it's a luxury, a pure bliss.

The table hosts the neighbour’s family. A big one.

Normally, contraceptives are rare in this era. Adding to this, is the lack of entertainment. Thus, couples *exercise* happily once darkness set in for the day.

My family is equally big. But as children grew older, my brothers moved out to find work in more affluent places, while my sisters moved out after marriage.  The fact that I was a single woman who left the village to work made me somewhat unique in that scenario. My mom nags me often whenever I return to village, asking for my love prospects.

Mom, I’m only 15.

But marriage in this era happens as early as 12 years old and I can only be glad my family didn’t sell me to an old pedophile for money. My several capable older brothers are filial enough to send back enough money to support the large family. My mother surely raised them right... But I digress.

Speaking of which, my neighbour’s family seems to be nurturing an important character.

Sitting opposite me is a girl with glossy pink hair and bright blue eyes. I look around the table and see everyone else in the family had brown hair and eyes. Everyone has the most monotonous boring features, so much so that I cannot separate one sister from another.

Then there's her.

How exactly does genetics work in this world?

Or rather, why didn’t the father suspect the mother when a completely different-looking baby just popped out of her crotch?

The girl has a cheerful character and her skin glows with translucent clearness despite living in harsh conditions.

How? What skincare does she use?

Her hair glows dazzlingly even under the dim candle light. She can single-handedly illuminate the room with her hair, even without the light source.

Her oblivious nature is built into her because she’s an important character.

Isn’t it the case for most heroines to be inexplicably dumb to the point they can’t discern if the man’s making a move on them? To just blindly follow and be kidnapped because she trusts people? Surely they have nuts in their heads instead of brains?

“Tina, you have to eat more!” the important character girl, Aria, generously places a large potato piece into mine, depleting the barely enough food for a big family even more.

Her sisters sitting around the table glare at her action.

See what I mean? The heroine never reads her surroundings.

She’s kind, but you can’t get fill your stomach from kindness.

There is no reason to decline her goodwill. An extra piece means more satiety - plus, free food makes the meal tastier.

I thank her and slowly cut the piece of sweet potato given. The girl sitting next to her begrudgingly stared at my plate before licking her cutlery clean.

What?

Don’t blame me, blame your sister.

221