Chapter 8 – Those dodgy areas
5.8k 16 215
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's early in the morning, I hear a small whine from the front door while eating breakfast. That must be Ginger, a stray dog I’ve been feeding since I started staying in this hut.

I collect my leftovers into a small clay pot and head for the door. The chill seeps into my bones once I step out and a full screen of morning haze makes it hard to see beyond a few feet in front of me.

A cheerful pup wagging its tail greets me when I look down. I lovingly smoothen its rough fur and pat him on his head.

“Good morning, Ginger”

He woofs in response.

I leave his food beside the front door and head back indoors. There is a long ahead of me, so I need to get ready to work.

I pack up the finished work and head to the customer to deliver orders. The customer I’m delivering today is a small noble whose mansion is a bit run down and out of town, a noble house only in name. The journey there is a bit rough. As in, I’ll have to pass through some dodgy areas.

We all know how dodgy areas are a good plot-convenient setting. But I can’t forever avoid these areas and I need to make my living. As long as I’m careful, it’ll be okay… I think. 

Actually, did I just raise a flag by thinking this?

I head out as the sun slowly rises, the morning haze settles down noticeably. People are already moving about for work, travelling in different directions. Chatters ensued, but it’s not loud enough to disturb some heavy sleepers still sleeping in.

After a good few minutes of walking, I finally approach the battlefield. At least it’s not as deserted as I thought it would be, there are a few commuters making their way to the farms located outskirts of town.

Now, the important thing you have to be aware of while moving through what’s labelled “shady” area is to NEVER BUMP INTO SOMEONE. Don't collide with them, don't run into them, don't go anywhere near anyone. Just don't.

The most common sentences in these scenes are— Oh I don’t even need to continue. Look.

A girl rubbing her eyes tiredly walks with her eyes half-open through this street. Strands of rosy red hair descends beyond the hood of the cloak she’s wearing. 

On the opposite side, a group of thugs walk down the road laughing with each other. 

Neither party are paying attention to where they’re walking. So naturally, they collide.

“OW! What the hell!”
“Oh? What is a delicate lady like you doing in this area?”
“Hey missy, you broke my arm when you bumped into me!”

Truly, medieval era scammers roam this area like cockroaches roam in sewers. The small delicate lady cowered under their scrutinising stares as they probe her with more insensitive remarks. Her large watery eyes glittered green as a stray tear fall down her rosy cheeks. 

“I-I’m sorry.” 

I’m giving her extra marks for stuttering, it really added to her cuteness.

“Sorry doesn’t cut it! Do you take us for idiots? You have to pay for his medical bills”
“Ah well, I’ll let it go if you’re willing to pay with your body”

“N-no. I don’t have any money…”

“Hahahah that means you’re willing to sell your body!” The man licks his lips as he lewdly looks up and down at the girl’s figure. Ugh disgusting. He reaches for her small waist. The small girl shivers violently with fear upon the extending hands.

Now. This is where someone jumps in to help. It’s only natural that the female lead is unsullied by scum trash like them.

Oh see, there’s her saviour.

“Ronald that’s enough.” A deep voice rang, and the rowdy bunch settles down immediately. A tanned male with sleek black hair messily tied up. The scar running on his cheeks didn’t contribute to his ugliness but only made him more eccentric and hot. Ah yes, that’s the vibe of the male lead who rules this dodgy region.

Probably holds the title “Master of the underworld” or something, I don’t really care enough to know.

He lets out a puff of smoke from the cigarette, lazily stands up and walks in between the girl and the thugs.

“Scram.” He orders, and the trash group immediately disperses away. 

“Th-thank you for helping me." The girl bows with gratitude, her wide eyes blinked away her tears as she smiles cutely at the man. "How can I ever repay you?”

The man only looks at her face without saying anything for a long time. There’s probably a long monologue going on inside his head about how cute she is and how anyone is able to pull his heartstrings in a long while, but since this isn’t a manga where you can read thoughts and I’m a mob character just observing… to me he just looks like he malfunctioned mid-conversation.

“What do you think about being my personal pet to repay me?”

Ahhh so he’s one of those types, huh? Girl, you just landed on a sadistic freak who likes seeing women cry. “I want to see her cry more” and all that. 

But he’s a male lead and because he’s handsome, this rotten personality is totally passable. If this were said by an ugly bastard instead, he’d be labelled scum. These are the usual double standards which exists even in modern world.

“I-if you want me to…”

Sis you agreed to that all too easily. I’m disappointed in you.

Anyway, the show is over. If I stay any longer, I’ll be running late. 

As I continue walking down the road, I see a drunk blond good-looking guy walking down my direction with shaky steps. His rough unkempt hair gave him a wild vibe, his clothes are disheveled. His gaze is unfocused and he’s mumbling something under his breath.

I agilely avoid crashing into him by moving to the opposite side. He walks by me and bumps into a small chipmunk looking girl behind me. Then he passes out on her, the girl flustered upon what to do with this unconscious handsome stranger.

Not my problem.

My point is, always have your eyes open when you pass dodgy areas.

215