Chapter 17 – Can you feel the sparks?
5.5k 20 173
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A new year arrived uneventfully. With small celebrations over, relatives prepare to return to their respective towns and villages. Because the village is secluded, it doesn't have access to regular-running, widespread transport route. A bunch of people group up together to hire the village head's cart and go to a small town nearby where transport is more accessible.

As I sit on the edge of the cart about to depart, mother comes to say her goodbyes. Well… “goodbyes”.

“Next time you come home, bring a boyfriend with you.” She pleads, grabbing my hands with her clammy calloused fingers. “You’re not like Lawrence who has a good job and good looks with girls chasing after him all the time. Don’t go looking for handsome rich man. Just someone who can support a small family is okay. I want to hold a grandchild from my daughter before I die.”

She praises Lawrence while stabbing her own daughter. My aunt, Lawrence’s mother, who was also on the cart smiles smugly at her words. “You’re right. With how capable Lawrence is, I won’t have to worry about holding my grandchildren in the future.” 

Little did she know…

The cart takes off, carrying a few of my family relatives and me. I blankly stare at the scenery, preparing to doze off until I get to the town a few hours later. 

><><><><><><

Background noise increases as the cart approaches the town. Because it’s right after new years when everyone’s trying to return home, the transport hub where carts, trishaws and carriages gather is busier than usual.

I swing my bag over my shoulder. It’s a lot lighter now that I’ve left all the new year gifts with my siblings. Since I need to prepare for the remaining journey, it’d be smart to visit the market for some food and regional goods. If I find a particular fabric I like, I might as well stock it up.

The topic of conversation in this bustling market was particularly interesting. Even if I try to ignore, some snippets of the talks just keep entering my ears.

“Near here…… well… in …… Dragon sighting!”
“... Kidding me…. Dragon?!”

Dragons are strong creatures whichever genre they’re in. In MMORPG worlds, they are the bosses in the dungeons. In fantasy sci-fi worlds, they are creatures possessing a large amount of magic with abilities to destroy cities single handedly. 

In shoujo world, dragons do all that, AND can transform into a beautiful man. And they will ultimately pursue the female lead. That, or it becomes the large pet who’s only docile towards the female lead.

“…. gold … scary eyes!”

It seems it’s a gold dragon this time. Who knows, there might be multicolour dragons for multiple female dragon warriors.

“…knights left…. Civil unrest… really!”

The kingdom's being shaken over the sudden dragon sighting. Knights are probably being organised and dispatched to subdue the dragon.

Either way, that's hardly an issue I should concern myself with.

I carefully weave my way through the market since it’s packed today. The number of colourful heads has exponentially increased since it’s post-festival season.

In crowded situations like these, I remind myself to be careful not to bump into anyone.

Lunch time. I seat myself at a table outside a relatively crowded pub, looking over the streets bustling with people as I wait for the ordered food to be served.

“Your potato stew and bread.” The waiter delivered my food and quickly went back indoors to serve other tables.

The aroma of the stew was quite appetising, and the bread was a tad hard but it's cheap. Gulping down my saliva, I pick some potato pieces with a spoon, gently blowing air to cool it down. My idle eyes still hover over the people on the street.

At this moment, a hot blond guy with bright blue eyes (generic male lead) walks down the street. His figure draws the eyes of women in a 50m radius, but he gives it no mind like a main character that he is. With each step he takes forwards, the crowd parts like Moses splitting the sea.

Then, there's a girl with orange hair carelessly running with her heads in clouds, her eyes not looking forwards… Lol typical.

You already know what’s coming, don’t you? They run into each other! 

I watch all of this unfold within a few split-seconds, my hand holding the spoon still lingering in air, the scooped potatoes still uneaten.

When the male lead sees the clumsy female lead dirtied with mud from falling, he shows no disgust at this. In fact, he found her shy face and her ditsy gestures a bit cute. 

When he helps the female up, when their hands touch, sparks flew up their arms.

That was when they knew. This must be their fated partner!

I’m pretty sure it’s static electricity though. Yeah no it doesn’t matter. Physics has its purpose to help grow romance in a romance world.

The girl stutters a thanks, hiding her red embarrassed face and runs away. She left the male lead and his outstretched hand which didn’t manage to pull her back. His longing gaze lands on the girl’s disappearing back.

He inwardly vows to find her - his soulmate, his fated one.

Yeah, show’s over. 

I swallow the now-cold spoonful of potato stew, and bit on the bread. I can make a tastier potato stew with cheaper price. 

What a waste of money.

173