Chapter 31 – Always disturbed before confessions
5.4k 33 194
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As summer gives its warm greetings, the temperature rose. The number of orders soared as dresses are made for many garden parties held by several small and large nobles. Copy-cat mermaid dresses are now a new trend between the noble women, several tailors adding their own quirks to the familiar curvy silhouette which made its grand appearance back in Janet’s engagement party. There are some tailors who stepped up to claim the ‘mermaid tailor’ title and the label lost its charm soon after.

I started paying attention to the news after that event, realising I can’t remain clueless about what’s going on around me. It would substantially decrease my risk if I can prepare for the oncoming events if I had some clues.

Recent news have been more political; regarding the rising tension between the country and its neighbours because of the dragon appearance. Since the neighbour countries heard about the dragon sighting in the West forest of Alban Kingdom, they fear the fragile balance of power toppling when a country gains more military power. On the other hand, the Alban Kingdom fails to find even the shadow of the said dragon. But the neighbour countries won’t believe this, thinking it’s just an attempt to conceal the power to themselves.

I totally forgot about that dragon sighting event I heard about several months ago. How is this still an ongoing thing? 

Folding the newspaper and setting it down in my carry bag, I look out the carriage window and see a familiar Duke’s castle entering the view. Yes, the transmigrated villainess had called for my services. 

Today, my trusty partner is not with me in my dress pocket because he’s guarding the house.

Rolls of silk, laces, golden threads and boxes of jewelleries had been recently delivered to my door from Duke Wolfram’s workers; the expensive materials for Janet’s wedding dress occupies half the living room. I had no qualms about being robbed before - the best they’d get if they burglarise my house is my floral-print lacy underwear. But there’s too much to lose now if I get robbed.

I promised to make Jin some pretzels when I get back, so he’s taken his new responsibility very seriously.

“Miss Tina. Lady Rosette has informed me of your visit and asked me to escort you to the drawing room upon your arrival.” The butler cordially led the way to the very room I sat in the last time I came. As we draw closer to the room, I overhear an ongoing heated conversation inside.

Oh not again. More tea?

“Rosette, I wish you can see me more than just a brother.”

Wait hold up. What happened to the story the one month I was away? The stepbrother finally grew a brain?! A rotten one but still, a brain?!

The butler shifts awkwardly and clears his throat before knocking the door. Lol I can’t believe I’m taking the role of “the one who disturbs when someone’s about to say something important”. 

This is the most common (and annoying) thing that happens in every shoujo manga - whenever the man about to confess, kiss or progress into some steamy scenes - someone just rolls in like “heyooo sorry man, your plan’s ruined”. And mind you, this happens every single time for the first hundred or so chapters - the poor male leads are blue-balled constantly.

The man with silvery pink hair and teary red eyes looks at me and the butler when the door opens, clearly disappointed that all the palpable tension that he’d build up disappear.

“You’ll never be more than a brother to me, Issac.” Rosette, the villainess, says after much consideration. “I’ll pretend this conversation never happened.”

Oh shit. Is it okay for me to be hearing this?

When the drawing room clears out and there’s only me and Rosette left, the villainess plops down on the chair, her eyes devoid of life. Even then, she retains her noble etiquettes because her lazy droopy figure still oozes with elegance. I seriously have no idea how she manages to do that.

Then she starts mumbling in Japanese to herself, leaving my tea-sipping self on the other end of the table. Her voice as soft as a whisper, but in this empty silent room, I can clearly hear what she’s saying underneath her breath.

“To think I’ve transmigrated into a game I programmed, only to end up being a gender bender villainess. What horror…” She presses on her temples as she complain. “Being a guy trapped in this Grade-A body doesn’t do me any justice. At least give me a capture target’s body! Fuck.”

Cough cough cough. Sorry I think I just heard something that went beyond my brain computing level.

Realising that she went on a self-rant with me sitting across her, Rosette looks at me and regains her elegant smile. “Sorry to have you witness what happened just now. I didn’t mean to drag you into our family affairs.” 

“What do you mean? Nothing happened.” I smile with a deep meaning in my eyes, which Rosette picks up on. She grins in return, and her face bloomed like a pretty flower showered under summer rain.

I didn't hear anything. Huhuhuhu please leave me out of drama.

“I called you today to make a dress for my birthday party.” Rosette starts and she takes her time drinking the jasmine tea before she continues, “And I’d like something innovative from the 'mermaid tailor' herself. How about something kimono inspired?”

I start contemplating... Wouldn’t it look weird to bring an Eastern-themed dress to a European-influenced world? She'd stick out like a sore thumb in parties.

When she sees me hesitate, her slender fingers tap on her armrest - a small continuous drumming sound emerges from the wood.

“Is that a no?” She tilts her head, her lips curve into a playful smile.

“I’m sorry that I’m lacking knowledge but… what’s a kimono?”

Haha ya thought ya did something. Too bad you're not getting anything out of me.

194