Chapter 34 – Interrupting arguments with a kiss
5.2k 18 192
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ms. Tina, I came here to deliver the gloves that you’ve left behind during your visit.” The sickeningly friendly smile on the face of the Duke’s daughter only appears to be taunting me.

… Leave a servant to do this kind of petty thing.

“Thank you. Would you like… a change of clothes perhaps?”

“Ah, I feel quite bad to ask you of this. But if it would not be a bother, yes please.”

If you feel bad, just don’t come here in the first place. (ꐦ°᷄д°᷅)

I’m a - cough cough cough. duke’s daughter. Cough cough. I know you hate me being here. Cough cough But stop glaring.[Japanese]

Oops, I didn’t know I was glaring. That would’ve been quite a disrespectful sight for the knights and maids in attending to see.

Claang. 

The dropped “fancy” guest tea cup shattered and it was too late when the realisation caught up with this mishap - pieces of nicely glazed ceramic cup with little pink rims lay broken on the floor and the tea which spilled made a creative splatter artwork.

There goes my poshest tea cup. No wait, this isn’t the time to be worrying about this.

I fucked up. I fucked up bad.

“Sorry, I’ll prepare another cup of tea.”

“It’s okay Ms. Tina, I’m already grateful you are lending me a dress from your collection. If you could show me a room I could change in?”

“Yes.” I nod reluctantly. “Just this way.”

“It’d be quite inappropriate to have my maid and knights enter another person’s private room, isn’t it?” Rosette laughed politely, “Would you help me change, Miss Tina?”

… Can I say no? (ಠ ∩ಠ)

“Lady Rosette it is unsafe for you to enter a stranger’s room without protection!” The maid following her warned her with worry.

Give. That. Maid. A. Promotion. 

“This isn’t a stranger. Plus I’d love to get more advice on dresses. We have much to talk about! Isn’t that right? Ms. Tina?

Fuck…………

><><><><><><

Three weeks later from that eventful day where the transmigrated villainess kindly threatened my peace in return for helping her with the heroine Aria next door, I finish the wedding dress for Janet. 

I start my journey towards Cecile’s flower shop at the centre of the town, the ideal meeting spot for all of us. A cute black fur ball in my dress pocket snuggles into the corner and sleeps soundly as I walk through the market.

Jin has been surprisingly docile these past few days, spending most of his time disappearing to play with the stray dog Ginger. I have something in my mind telling me that this is abnormal, but I’ve left it to rest since I’ve got this huge responsibility of making a wedding dress.

Sorry, but I cannot multi-task to save my life. 

The arrival of summer is advertised by the abundance of seasonal fruits on display, the variety of brightly coloured flowers and the refreshing fruit drinks on sale. People wear lightly coloured cotton clothes and simple summer dresses.

When I arrive at the florist shop, I am yet again surprised to see the familiar face of “Ben” who seems to be having a conversation with Cecile. This undercover duke is so carefree chasing his young love, I wonder how his territory is holding on…

“…You have been lying to me this whole time?” Cecile’s eyes were moist and red, her freckled cheeks flushed with anger and betrayal.

“…” Duke Cannes only knows to remain silent, his eyebrows pulled together in frustration because he couldn’t come up with a reason to explain himself. It was true, he did lie to her for the past few months.

“Say something! Give me excuses!” Cecile beat the Duke’s chest, sobbing while doing so. The hurt in the Duke’s eyes portrayed so much self-blame and regret. “Tell me you didn’t mean to. Just… anything…” 

“I loved you, Ben.” She pushed him away weakly. “Oh wait, I can’t even call you Ben. It’s not your name, is it?”

Tears rolled down Duke’s stoic cheeks, with his lips bleeding from biting in anger, his clenched fist shivering. But he couldn’t retort.

“Leave.” Cecile gave him a broken smile. “I can’t love you anymore. You know that, don’t you?”

As I watch this drama unfold, I feel some shuffling inside my pocket. The small hamster peaks out from the pouch and become another audience to the couple’s fight.

It looks like it’s going to be an unreconcilable fight, doesn’t it?

The hamster looks up at my question and nods. 

What would it feel to find out the one you’ve loved all this time has been keeping their identity a secret, lying to you all this time, not being truthful?

Betrayed? Like you’re not trusted?

It’s a common trope where MCs hide their talents or identities to “downplay” their abilities. It makes it satisfying when some antagonists look down on them only to get their asses kicked because the MC was too OP.

However, when it comes to romance, it makes it hard because there is a lack of mutual trust in the relationship - when one party knows too much about the other, but it cannot be applied the same for the opposite party. 

There are also several reasons why a huge difference in power like a commoner and a high noble doesn’t work in relationships. Not being classist, but when you are brought up in different environments and different norms, it is hard to find things to ‘relate to’ and you find many things to ‘argue on’ instead. Of course, this doesn’t apply to all couples.

But as we know, this is a shoujo romance world. These concepts are all promptly ignored.

“Cecile!” The duke’s hoarse and cracked voice interrupts my couple therapist rants. His outstretched hands hugs Cecile from behind, his head burrows into the nook of her neck. “Sorry. I’m so sorry.”

“I trusted you.” Cecile’s quiet voice carried weakly throughout the empty second floor. I sit on top of the staircase so I can wait for the fight to end.

……

When the silence got long enough for me to wonder if the fight was over, I looked around to see what’s going on. 

They are passionately kissing.

Ah… I mean, I saw this coming, but...

DON’T END YOUR ARGUMENTS THROUGH KISSES?! Bro you have so much to talk through???

A KISS DOESN’T SOLVE YOUR TRUST ISSUES.

Why is it that a woman’s valid reasons to be angry are always interrupted by kisses, and somehow they always work in stories?

“Tina?” Janet arrives to the store, calling my name out for the couple to hear.

They parted from their embrace and look around towards the staircase to witness my annoyed face staring at them.

192