Chapter 37 – Second chance at life
7.2k 36 187
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s just short of a month before Janet’s wedding. While Cecile busies herself with the floral decorations of the venue and the bride’s flower bouquet, I occupy myself with crafting a wedding gift for Janet. What the gift will be, is a secret for now - but it will turn out to be something useful, knowing her fate as a female lead.

Today is another usual day where I am visiting a client’s house to take measurements. The client is Countess Graham, her husband famous for his womanising and unfaithful personality. He has an official wife and a concubine living under the same roof, with two half-daughters sharing the same mansion. 

Now, doesn't that sound like some cliche novel setting?

Of course it does, we can see the drama unfolding from a mile away.

After I step off the coach upon arrival at the large mansion, I am greeted by the gatekeeper who offers to guide me to the main building. After passing through the massive garden filled with red roses, the gatekeeper handed me over to the head butler of the Count’s household.

“Madam has been waiting for you.” He greets with a formal tone, his slicked back grey hair and his straightened bowtie give off the vibes that this man is an uptight clean freak. “Just this way.” His gloved hands wave with a gentle motion, and he leads the way to the wife’s changing room.

Passing through several paintings adorning the white walls of the hallway, the maids occasionally look up from their tasks and bow to acknowledge the butler passing by. The footsteps of this old man was steady, every step forward always had equal distance to the step before. His straight posture as he walks and the way he indifferently nods at each staff member makes it apparent that he was the boss running this mansion when the master is away.

The butler’s steady steps slowed and came to a halt before a large fancy polished door. After knocking and informing Countess Graham that the tailor was here, he kindly opened the door and gestured me to enter.

“Nice to meet you Countess Graham, I am Tina. I am grateful you decided to trust me with your formal attires for the upcoming autumn social season.”

“There is no need for such formalities, I called for your services because you had a decent hand for design and tailoring.” She replies with a straight expression, her ruby red eyes and the numerous red gem jewelleries decorating her neck emit an imposing aura. “I need a dress for my daughter’s upcoming social debut.” 

“That is certainly possible, Countess. I would like to take her measurements first and then we can discuss which dress style will be suitable for her.”

The countess gives a dismissal wave and the maid in attending quickly moves to guide me to the daughter. On our way, I look out the windows overlooking the huge garden which appears like it's been splattered with red paint from the multiple blooms of red roses.

“Kyaah!” A girlish scream came from the garden outside, and I witness a cute blonde girl running into the open arms of a tall white-haired male. She shivers in his surprised embrace, pointing at a snake slithering its way through the garden.

I'd label that "Move #53" on my soon-to-be-published book "101 heroine klutz moves".

Having seen enough, I look away from the window and rushed my steps to follow the maid as she led me further down the large hallway.

“Young miss had a headache last night so she may still be asleep, please wait for her outside while I go in to wake her up.” The maid politely informs and left me standing outside.

… A few mumbles could be heard from the maid, soon followed by what sounded like a glass vase shattering on the floor.

“This can’t be!” I hear a female voice laced with surprise. “Mary, bring me a mirror.”

... Nononono. Why- WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN ON A DAY THAT I’M IN?

Can I guess the next words out of her mouth?

“How old am I right now?” I muttered underneath my breath in resignation and as soon as the words left my parted lips-

“How old am I right now?” The female voice escapes the small crack in the double door separating me from the room inside.

This is a classic opening to a time travel/second chance novel.

A female lead who went through an unjust life, desires to change the outcome before her coming death. ‘Give me another chance! I will do better!’ A repeatedly used concept for a story of revenge, where the main character abuses their knowledge of the future to change their unwanted fate.

How do I know for sure? Who the fuck runs for a mirror unless they’re narcissistically in love with their own face that it’s the first thing they want to seen as soon as they wake up? But even more, who actually forgets their own age that they had to ask a maid to confirm? It’s just a weird question, okay?

“The tailor is waiting outside to take your measurements.” The maid quickly helps the young miss dress up and invites me into the room.

Lotte Graham, the daughter of Countess Graham, sat on a leather sofa bench when I entered the room. With unfocused eyes, her whispers unconsciously counts the number of days until social debut, which seems to be a major event in her previous lifetime.

“20 years. 20 years back.” She mutters, as her fingers rolls into a tight fist clenching on her dress. Her eyelids flutter shut and she sighs. When she reopens her eyes, they sparkle with an unknown source of determination.

“Tina, was it?” She suddenly looks up and smiles at me. “I’d like to suggest a design for my dress.”

... Fuck. I want to run away.

I guessed there would be drama, but I didn’t think there would be a time traveller coming into the story.

“I’m only a humble tailor, young miss. I cannot guarantee I will be able to make the dress that you suggest.”

“I believe in you. I know you can.” She generously places her slender hands my shoulder.

That doesn’t sound good. What the hell did you do in the future, Tina?

187