102. Am I Guilty?
1.6k 16 96
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hunter Mirsha has returned after fighting for us all, she limped over with a gushing wound tried to carry comrade on her back, but in the end, she returned alone—"

"The Scorching Forest had been plagued with death for the past months. The idea of peace hanged on the mission board for months and was only classified as a B+ Rank Mission. Many demanded its danger rank be raised as the mission, but the Association and Government remained silent when asked. But it was Hunter Mirsha who stepped up to secure our safety—"

The unjust rewards and exploitation of both the Hunter Association and World Government to the Hunters protecting the people appeared as the hundreds of deaths in scorching the forest were released.

Mirsha's story was questioned about what happened inside the Scorching Forest. A press conference was held for the deceased, and as her story was heard, many cried. She told them how she carried her ally out of the battlefield even when they were dying; the people's perception about the incident affected both the Hunter's Association and Government.

Some were skeptical and created conspiracy theories about how she was actually the one who killed them all. Even the absurd claims that there were no daemons and the government was trying to cull the Hunters surfaced for a time.

However, all these goblins who dwell in the depths of the basement using their mighty divine keyboard and the miraculous ration of potato chips were silent as a village of daemons, and the dead body of a [LVL: 188 Fiery Demonic Imp] and a mix of daemons was found, they shut up and concocted another theory.

Goblin dwellers aside, the words around the south-east Stronghold were strong; every media outlet that had nothing better to cover spent their time tackling this topic. Of course, the media spiced things up as they added some vague wordings to ensure they would get the ratings.

They praised Mirsha to the high heavens, raising her name making her an overnight sensation.

The Association responded accordingly and promised the people to change the current situation of the Association. They promised to provide the families compensation and then delivered on their promises the very next day.

A week later, the Association and government asked Mirsha to become the new face of Hunter's Association and tried recruiting new-bloods to be trained.

Mirsha agreed, only if her identity was to remain hidden.

Some saw it as a ploy, and the media said that they were only recruiting to put more men into the "meat grinder" that was the [Wildlands].

The Hunters' Association was questioned, and they only answered with, "It is for the safety of the people, and nothing more."

There were still mumbles and rambles after two weeks, but it could be said that the conversation had died down. Mirsha, whose level had been raised to 217 after the Association, helped her kill daemons.

Weeks passed.

Currently, Mirsha was alone inside a fancy hotel unit she bought for her family. She and her family have long passed living a frugal life. Mirsha finally managed to provide for them.

Currently, she was watching the news about the West of the Stronghold.

"The current situation of the S-Rank Dungeon is yet to be confirmed by both Hunter's Association. The World Government had been pressing them for information, but they keep dodging the question of what is happening.

"Team Apollo had just entered the Dungeon, but nothing had been announced. Their current situation had yet to be—"

Her bright red hair stood out inside the room. It was currently the afternoon and, her daughter, Lucia, was sleeping in her room, and her husband, Will, was working.

It was still the afternoon, and the sun was just about to set; however, Mirsha already felt tired. She inadvertently clutched onto her chest where the golden mark was placed.

She closed her eyes, "She told me she'll contact me... right?"

Trrrriing!

"AH!" Mirsha exclaimed after hearing her HNP ringing.

She was in trepidation, but it was not the daemon.

It was the standard-issue HNP rang. She took a deep breath before opening the message she received:

[Miss Mirsha — please be informed that your Blitzkrieg Wand had been completed, and the Robes of Ganesha your ordered have arrived already. We of the Lusio Family wish to know if this is enough for you to consider our offer. Contact us, and we shall sign the contract soon enough.]

Reading the letter, Mirsha sighed, for this was the seventh offer this month from a different Family. The last two weeks had been nothing but multiple meetings and appearances in commercials.

If this was the past Mirsha, she would have turned down the offer to appear on the media. She had been avoiding for so long, but after being cursed by a daemon and deciding to try harder, Mirsha just accepted the lot of them.

But now, there were different problems at hand.

'They only approach me because they think I soloed the boss and its minion when the truth is that I do not even know where the thing came from.' Mirsha had heard of the Fiery Demonic Imp in the Scorching Forest, but she didn't even face it, which made it even more confusing.

While in deep thought, she heard something ringing. It was not close to her, but it rang somewhere inside the unit. Hearing this HNP, she initially thought it belonged to her daughter, but then, as she searched and found herself in her and her husband's room, she stayed silent for a while.

Before her was another HNP… it was the one she received from the young daemon.

She took in a deep breath and then answered it. From the other side of the HNP, she heard a cute voice, "How have you been, human?"

Mirsha froze and failed to answer right away.

Memories of when she was questioned by a young daemon crept up to her.

The media and the Association were fighting over the truth, but only she knew what truly happened. The daemons of the Scorching Forest managed to slip away undetected. They planted a different boss monster and spread the remains of its minions.

The true culprits burned down their homes and brought with them the bodies of the deceased… they disappeared, and no one knows of this other than Mirsha.

If Mirsha was to come out and tell this to the world, she would help the association track down the villains that threatened millions' lives.

However, she chose not to because of the mark left by those daemons.

But does she hate herself for doing all this?

Yes… and that would be the answer she would give if she was lying.

The Hunters' lives were all lost before she could not do anything, and now, she was only doing her best to live.

When she begged that daemon so she could return, Mirsha already knew that she would do anything for her family.

After Mirsha calmed herself down, she remembered what the other daemons called the lass of a daemon and answered, "How may I help you, miss Apostle?"

Mirsha answered without a hint of guilt in her heart.

Mirsha abandons the humans for her family's sake, a quick question, do you guys find this repulsive? Or wrong?

96