139. Consequence
350 2 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Many lives were lost in this tragic event. Family, Friend, we all lost people who are dear to us, but they are now on their way to meet with the Goddess Letza—"

Two weeks after the Invasion of the Gargankong, the fifth mass burial was held west of Sector 24, and it was led by a daemon no bigger than a three-year-old child.

It was of course none other than Lilith who stood atop the stage. By her side was a woman, one with golden hair. It was none other than Sylva. The second eye-candy present.

Lilith was given the chance to speak before a sea of grieving people to deliver a heartfelt a eulogy.

"---the heavens does not discriminate. From young to old. Rich and Poor. Only a person's character does. To us who have been left behind we are to celebrate th—"

She offered a prayer to those who have fallen victim to the Flood. Saying words she vaguely believed, like the dead going to a paradise, knowing they would be sent down to Hell to be cleansed and be reborn.

'There's a Heaven, but only those who are truly good can enter that place, and even then, they are given a choice if they want to go to Paradise or be reborn without the tortures of Hell. Even the special sections like that Valhalla one is hard to enter. Giving a Eulogy, knowing how complicated Afterlife Immigration is, makes this a fucking nightmare. Speaking of which, wasn't there a religion of the past that believed in Reincarnation? They even claim their Ancestors are watching over them? How does that work exactly? And didn't the Afterlife offer reincarnation as well?' Lilith's mind trailed into the distant strings of possibilities as she regurgitated words she rehearsed the night before.

Her mind wandered, but not one word deviated.

"As the Goddess Letza created life, she will accept the lambs who will join her with open arms." Lilith finished the eulogy with perfect delivery.

Finally, she breathed a sigh of relief and turned around from the people. Lilith raised her little arms to Sylva, "Up." the tiny Priestess quaintly demanded.

Sylva carefully picked Lilith from the box behind the podium. It was a funeral, but those who were only there because of necessity could not help but feel both horny and touched at the same time.

Touched to see something as cute as that play out right in front of them. In the two weeks Lilith spent in Sector 24, she garnered much support and attention from the media and the locals, even becoming a role model to some.

She healed the injured and acted independently, so seeing her being carried away like the child she was, melted the hearts of the most hardened veteran.

It was a wholesome scene, an image of peace in all the carnage that had transpired.

On the other end of the spectrum, there were those whose eyes only rested on two rather big targets that Sylva carried.

Because of Sylva's beautiful appearance. Her bountiful chest, slender and perfect figure wrapped in an alluring casual business suit that Mirsha forced upon the reluctant daemon was a sight to behold. Many of the guards who accompanied Government Officials and the ones in power themselves could not help but sneak a glance or two at her direction in befuddlement.

They have never seen such a beautiful daemon.

It was rare to see such beauty from even the prettiest of models and celebrities.

'Goddamn creeps, she's still too young!' Lilith shouted in her mind. Sylva was long from being an adult, and her mentality was a testament to that.

Though a daemon matures faster than a human, Sylva's maturity had shown signs of slowing down after her latest evolution. Even many of the daemons of her Village noticed the change instinctively. Those who once tried to pursue Sylva suddenly had a change of heart.

Instead of flowers they started sending her food. Or so Lilith was told.

Thus, Lilith's irritation and desire to end them increased ten fold,  'Tsk, can't believe I have to deal with these fools from now on.'

Lilith was especially full of distaste to those around her. Mostly because they were part of the Government.

Even in her past life, she rarely dealt with the Government. She didn't like the World Government and would often scheme to make their lives harder.

They were hypocrites and pricks who dealt with the underworld while acting clean. Lilith saw one of the worst types of people, though she's no better considering what she had done.

But hating her was not a problem. Lilith still hated the Government.

Sylva took a seat next to Mirsha, who wore a black suit and an eyepatch.

Mirsha lost her eye in the fight with the Gargankong.

"It was a beautiful eulogy, Priestess." Mirsha praised.

"Thank you."

She was the Representative of the Hunters and Lilith's secret bodyguard.

Not only was her husband only alive because of Lilith, Will was also under Lilith's Village's care. Mirsha received all of this after she tried to kill all those daemon and even Lilith when she went berserk.

But she was forgiven and was given so much. Lilith saved Mirsha in more ways than one, transforming the human into one of Lilith's ardent believers.

Lilith chose to just remain seated on Sylva's lap, it was softer than the cushion anyway, and the looks of envy would feed her ego.

She really liked showing off more than she would like to admit.

Mirsha smiled seeing Lilith comfortable, "I am happy to know you are full of joy. But, might I remind you, your husband just died? Please shed some tears." Lilith whispered.

"Ah!" Mirsha quickly covered her face and sniffled.

'She sucks so much at acting. Alpha, how long will this ceremony last?'

[Two hours.]

'Two hours!? Sigh*, This is going to drag.'

Lilith cursed her current fate. This was her fifth and last funeral, she should be used to it, but for some reason, she felt like it was taking longer than it should. She complained, but Lilith, throughout the entire funeral, held a bitter smile on her face.

"May I please ask for everyone to be on their feet for the final send off." the host requested the people.

The final announcement was made.

Right on cue, Lilith was lifted from the ground with wind. Everyone watched with wonder and great expectation in their eyes.

"Louise, Nikana, Oliver, Tel'tan, Howard, Angel , Suron, Yama, Take, Yi-hoon—"

"She's saying them all again…." someone in the sea of people mentioned.

Lilith spoke every name of those who had died as she had done so over the past week. Those who were grieving, quietly waited for their loved one's name to be uttered by the daemon.

To be remembered by the Herald of a Goddess made them feel at least a little comfort.

To every name that was announced, Lilith felt genuine sadness and even guilt.

These people had families of their own. They had aspirations, someone they loved. No matter how little they were, these people were once alive.

Now, however, they were nothing but corpses.

And it was all because of her.

Lilith already predicted that many would die if she went through with her plans.

Even when she ruled over the underworld, Lilith tried to spare her those uninvolved.

She wanted to at least be able to lie to herself that she was a good person. That she was different from the others even if her actions were so reviled.

But this time… Lilith could not make that distinction. She commenced the plan knowing many would suffer. No, she made sure many would feel fear and the pain of losing someone they loved.

All so she could salvage their hearts and live a long-lasting impression of a saviour. To be separated from the daemons the humans hated.

Lilith was saddened. She was guilty. But, she did not regret anything.

Their lives were the cost for the safety of those who followed her, were the lives of thousands.

And Lilith now was sending off these lost souls

"Oh Divine Light, guide the souls to their destinations. May they watch over their loved ones and be given another chance in life. May the Goddess give them peace that they deserve—Divine Light."

A ball of Divine Light was sent to the skies that basked the grieving with a soothing touch. Giving them a small faint of peace.

Lilith looked over their reverent eyes.

They were smiling and were full of gratitude for the divine act she was doing.

Not knowing it was Lilith who caused them their deaths.

But even so, Lilith smiled at them.

She looked at them with a pair of magnanimous eyes.

For she was the benevolent Priestess.

The Savior Saint.

[Are you okay, Lilith?] Alpha asked.

'...there's a bitter taste in my mouth.' Lilith answered as she once again forcefully swallowed the shame she was feeling.

[You had no choice. It was for the sake of everyone's survival.]

'No... I did have a choice. Don't take that away from me.'

[...]

'We cannot lose ourselves in the words "No choice" there is always a choice. And every choice has consequences. This bitter feeling is just a speck of that consequence.'

There were many hypocrite Government Officials present. But even when their sins were combined, Lilith remained the biggest hypocrite present.

Thanks for reading

Lilith's actions have consequences and she's not blind or numb enough to not see this.

24