141. Growing Soft
294 0 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Do you want more water, Priestess?"

"No, I'm okay."

Held by Sylva, Lilith watched over the stream of people slowly dwindling in numbers. The funeral ended amicably and Lilith was fighting a headlong battle against fatigue.

"Bye-bye!"

"Bye-Bye Sayntess!"

"Bye-bye!"

But Lilith continued to stay awake as she waved the children goodbye.

Currently, she and Sylva were right beside the stage. A few dozen steps away from the main pathway guarded by the temporary fences. The children who didn't know any better waved goodbye to the little daemon and she saw them off with an amicable smile.

It was only Lilith and Sylva. No one from the Government or the Hunter's Association was with them. Not because no one was interested or they feared her, but because they were prohibited from approaching Lilith.

The past assassinations made it nearly impossible to approach her unless they were close to her.  Thus, it was only Sylva seated on a chair under a parasol the Hunter Association brought with them.

Lilith was fairly well-taken and cared for by the Hunter Association.

But, of course, behind her lovely smile directed to children. The tiny Priestess was always scheming.

'How is it looking, Alpha? Have you found a good article to use as a weapon?'

[I found three, one from Sector 25, the other from Sector 28, and the last from here on Sector 24. Should we use all three, or only one? Two of them are reuploaded articles.]

'If the article from Sector 24, use that as it gives it more legitimacy.'

[I thought so too, and this Raven Cross fellow seems promising, should I support him?]

'…do a background check, and research his history to make sure he's clean. If there's even a lick of bad press behind his brand, then instead of helping him, crush him. We can't be associated with them.'

[Understood… oh, and by the way, most of the people I found were on Bubbles. See, Bubbles isn't all that bad. Well, it is a cesspool, but still.]

Lilith and Alpha proceeded with their plan of controlling the flow of information… though they weren't specialized in the matter. Alpha was capable of interfering with minor algorithms and could push certain subjects on the network using what may or may not call magic.

"Priestess Lilith." a man's voice called out to Lilith.  The two daemons turned around and saw Ma-Po with a bright smile.  "Can I take your time for a minute?I know you are tired, but I think you would want to hear this."

"Yes, what is it?" Lilith said as she unconsciously tilted her head.

"I—ahem, excuse me." Ma-Po cleared his throat to calm himself down, "The HNP you asked for a week ago just got the okay, and we can give you and your Village 2000 Units. Hunter Mirsha even provided some with her own money."

"Really, Sir Ma-Po?" Lilith was beaming when she heard the news.

The reincarnated underworld boss made use of her charms and jumped from Sylva's arms to hug the Chief of the Hunter Association.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! Because of you, my Village will be able to see the future!"

After Lilith saved Sector 24, she left the representatives back home with one instruction, and that's to burn all human-related items they amassed. HNPs, WNPs, clothes, all of it were burnt to a crisp.

The weapons and armors were melted and recycled by Hammer and Anvil. The HNPs were thrown into a dungeon after the Gate closed. Erasing any of their past killings as much as possible. Only a select few carried an HNP and those were given by Mirsha.

Ensuring that nothing could be traced to them. Now, with Ma-Po's help, Lilith just got permission to advance the daemons' way of living legitimately.

From now on, if anyone asks where the daemons got the idea of any advancement, they could just point at the World Network.

Lilith was very pleased, 'I just got a good tool.'

She did not just mean the HNPs.

While Lilith was celebrating. Ma-Po was slowly coming to a slow realization of what he wanted for the future. Ma-Po, a veteran Hunter, could not help but smile seeing the child, the little daemon that was Lilith showed him affection, 'Man, my wife was right, we need a kid… maybe it is time to raise a family.'

The stubborn man who refused to have children as it would be unfair to them have finally saw the light. Ma-Po was beginning to think of retirement.

On the other hand, the celebrating Lilith… began to feel conflicted..

'I hate this.' Lilith cursed inside. Ever since she became a daemon, she cursed being a child, yet, since they arrived at the Sector, her charms have proven to be effective. Entrancing the old and young people.

Because of her childlike appearance, Lilith was also seen as less of a threat. Any thought of her scheming was mainly thrown out the window,  'Dammit, I'm only proving this body's use.'

But she could do nothing but make use of it.

'A round ass can control the underworld; cuteness can conquer the world.' Lilith was still having a hard time swallowing the truth. But, seeing how many people were stopping to take pictures, Lilith could not find the words to say otherwise.

"Be careful over there, Chief Ma-Po; that "beast" might just bite your head off."

An old man spoke with a passing snide remark.

'Ah, shit….' Lilith knew who it was by the gravelly voice. When she turned around to confirm his identity, Lilith inwardly winced in disgust, 'Dammit, I hate being right sometimes.'

Surrounded by men in black led by a man with silver hair, Julian Alister appeared with a smile that was against his venomous chide, "As the Chief of the Hunters, I expected more from you, Ma-Po."

"I would never do such a thing." Lilith interjected with tears threatening to go down her eyes, "I would never hurt you, Chief Ma-Po."

"I know you wouldn't, Priestess Lilith. After all, you saved us when we needed a protector. Unlike some people, you are someone worthy of respect."

Julian's eyes twitched with Ma-Po's answer to the young daemon. He harrumphed as he smirked, "Well, don't blame me if you die from having your neck slit by that little gremlin."

Lilith did not answer. Not because she couldn't, but because she was busy whispering to someone else.

~Sylva, don't do anything rash, okay?~

Sylva was itching to protect Lilith from Julian.

~But Priestess, he is being mean to you!~

~Well, some Ogres have been mean to me, are you going to kill them as well? Especially Chief, to this day he's still saying I'm puny and weak.~

~...no. But they learned how to respect you, Priestess! This man is only looking down on you. And Chief… Well, he's Chief, he's a little slow and lacks tact. But he still cares for the Priestess, even in his own brutish ways. And he respects your leadership capabilities as well.~

~Good, then you should be understanding. This human is like Chief. He lacks basic understanding of the reality he's in. Because he does not wish to face the truth of his weakness. He's pushing it upon others in the form of insults. In other words, he's insecure, and we must pity such people. For their own inability to see right or wrong will cause them their demise.~

~I see….~ Sylva's anger was lifted. When she gazed at Julian's direction, only pity was in her heart. But, her pity did not stop at Julian but also the other humans, 'To think they call this man a leader. He ran away from a fight, and cannot even see the resplendence of the Priestess' existence. I pity them for being led by such a man.'

For such a man who could not see his position was rightfully below the Priestess made Sylva pity the humans under his rule. A tear almost escaped the young daemon.

Lilith ignored Sylva's over dramatic reaction. She was far more interested in Ma-Po's and Julian's relationship.

Ma-Po's face almost contorted when he heard Julian's words. It was clear that the two were not in any way friendly to each other.

'The Hunter Association and the Government had always been at odds with one another. I don't have to worry about getting on Ma-Po's bad side if I decided to kill Julian.'

The Government and the Hunter Association holding each other's hands to deal with the same did not happen too often. Ma-Po and Julian were no different.

They both hated each other's guts.

Ma-Po was not only a veteran at the battlefield, but he was also going at butting heads using his words against Julian. But it was not him who faced off against the Sector Leader.

"Sector Leader Julian, please stop joking around with Chief Ma-Po; we all know he'd never blame you for anything, or anyone else for that matter; how could he? You'd be out of the Sector at the bark of a dog." With his coat's left arm coat flapping with the wind, a young man commented at Julian with swords hidden behind his words.

It was Suzu Quinn, walking down from the stage accompanied by a sword-bearing woman whose hair was tied to a cute neat bun.

'Oh? It's that one guy. Is he done fishing for allies?' The last he saw of Suzu was him going around meeting with old men and Julian gnashing his teeth on the sidelines as the others tried their best to not associate themselves with the old coot.

"Suzu, you… when did you grow the balls to talk to your superior like that?" Julian laughed as he remarked, "Not too long ago you weren't even able to say anything when I looked you in the eyes. It's good to see that you're becoming your own man."

"Thank you for the compliments, Sector Leader. I try to be one, since I heard you didn't have any." Suzu countered with a "joke" of his own.

"You," Julian growled at Ma-Po, and the silver-haired bodyguard next to him stepped forward.

The air changed. Lightning flashed from the female bodyguard's eyes while a sword appeared from the man's hands.

The silver-haired bodyguard smiled, "You're way out of line, Vice Leader. It would be advisable to watch your words."

In response to the silver-haired man's advice, the woman with the sword stepped in front of Suzu, "Don't try anything."

Julian and Suzu stared each other down, neither wanting to stand down.

As for Lilith, she was enjoying their display.

'Not too bad.' Lilith praised, seeing the numbers above the heads Julian's bodyguards,

Lilith  rounded their levels to 220.

With the silver-haired man as the strongest at LVL 243.

Not too strong, but was impressive considering how humans didn't level up as quickly as daemons, 'They are strong for such a backwater place. But, Dhampy reached LVL 250 not too long ago. Should I just sweep this old man's house? Maybe I should send someone to clean his house. Torture him to make him more compliant… Nah, too risky. But then again, if I want to rule this City, having a pawn in the Government would be really useful.'

On the other hand, Suzu's bodyguard was a single woman. But, she was enough to deal with everyone present. After all, she broke through the LVL 250 ceiling. She had more skills at her disposal, considering the higher the level meant a stronger skill, Suzu's bodyguard was not lacking in confronting a group.

'She's also a sword wielder. At this distance she can kill them. But if she does, then there's also the possibility of the others just beelining to Suzu and taking him hostage. By then, she won't be able to do anything.'

Lilith was having fun thinking of the many scenarios.

However, when the climax of the confrontation was about to be reached, a curtain of crimson flames rolled and formed between the two camps, "That's enough; this is a place where the dead are laid to rest, not where you create one."

Mirsha entered the fray, stopping the conflict that could've broken out. But Lilith had lost interest in all of them by this time. She already knew no one would come to mess with the Top Hunter of the Eastern Stronghold.

[Mirsha: LVL 262]

"Huntress Mirsha, how are yo—" Julian was quick to change the mask he was wearing.

He immediately greeted her, but Mirsha simply walked past him. Ignoring his words, "Priestess Lilith."

She bowed to the tiny daemon.

"Ey." Lilith responded by raising her right hand and acknowledging Mirsha. 

Despite being the strongest in the Sector, Mirsha did not mind Lilith's act. Instead, she was just happy that Lilith responded. She had a big smile.

But when she turned around and faced the two groups, Mirsha's smile disappeared, "Are you actually trying to have a fight here?"

Mirsha's crimson flames appeared.

"I just watched my husband be laid to rest… so if anyone wants to continue, I will be more than happy to oblig—"

The following exchange could not be registered to Lilith. She just watched from the side, predicting what would happen. Predictable confrontation did not interest her.

"Sylva, Sylva—" Lilith called out to Sylva.

"Aiya, does the Priestess wish to return to Lady Sylva? Wait, wait… calm down." Ma-Po acted like a precautious uncle as he carefully handed Lilith to the daemon. He, too, disregarded all the fighting around him; he was too old to deal with all of them. Thankfully, Mirsha got his back.

Lilith hugged Sylva and as she rested her head on her shoulders, Lilith whispered in her ears, "Sylva, stop radiating that will to fight. We can't be seen acting out in public. It's still too premature of a time. You can play with the daemons in the Forest."

"…yes, Priestess."

Though she might be disappointed she cannot play against the humans, she wouldn't dare throw a tantrum against what Lilith advises. She didn't want to disappoint Lilith, nevertheless, she was saddened, like a child that had been rejected playtime.

Sylva pouted as she watched Mirsha and the battlefield with longing. She really wanted to join the fray.

Lilith sighed, 'She's really acting more and more like a child.' said the daemon who looked like an infant.

"Alex, that's enough; we're leaving." Julian harrumphed and turned his back on Suzu, "Watch your back, Suzu."

Suzu Quinn waved goodbye to his superiors and then bowed ever so slightly to Mirsha and Ma-Po before also taking his leave, "I will see you around, Hunter Mirsha, Chief Ma-Po… Priestess Lilith."

Lilith just nodded in response, 'He really doesn't like me, huh.'

She didn't like him either.

"Priestess, where are you going now? Are you going to the Village? Of course, the Village Leader cannot leave for so long, right? But traveling back is dangerous. Do you want me to accompany you?" Mirsha approached Lilith with gleaming and expectant eyes.

Lilith just shook her head in amusement, "We're going back to the penthouse. Lucia is waiting for us there. Luna is more than capable of dealing with stuff back home, so we're not returning to the Village any time soon. For the time being, please bring the car around."

"Ye-Yes, of course." A dejected Mirsha followed orders.

Watching the pitiful Mirsha leave, Lilith once more sighed.

Mirsha liked going to Lilith's Village because she could see Will when she does.

However, there were times that they could not go. She was slightly disappointed, but then she realized that she'd be able to play with Lucia as well, "Then, I will escort you to the penthouse!"

"...We will be in your care." Lilith could read her like an open book.

But, she didn't pursue the matter. Sylva was still pouting as she carried Lilith. The little Priestess then created a mind link with Sylva.

~Sylva, remember that plan I told you not to do?~

~The Solo Dungeon Raid?~

~No, the [Darkness Cultivation] one. The one I said was too dangerous… I'll allow that little Trial you concocted with your Big Sis Dhampy.~

~Really Boss Head!? Hmm, I know we proposed it and all, but will they take the deal?~

~Oh, they will. They are a loving family, after all. Just make sure not to kill Mirsha and Will.~ She added, ~ That's also why they're valuable. Message Dhampy, tell her I need to talk to her about this project.~

"Ye-Yes!"

Quickly, Sylva messaged Dhampy of the great news that Project: Darkness had been approved.

Lilith sighed, 'I am getting soft when dealing with her.'

***

East of the Bleeding Rage Valley — Lilith's Village (Tempt) Training Grounds.

The East of the Bleeding Rage Valley was nothing but vast fields. The West was a field with trees and floras and turned to the training grounds. Away from the prying eyes of the humans.

On the edges of the Forest, there was a cliff overlooking the ocean. On the edge of the cliff sat Dhampy with her eyes glowing a dark red color. Behind her were Chief and a few handpicked daemon on the ground trying to catch their breaths.

The daemons were an assortment from Ogres to Combat Pixies, all of which were groaning in pain. But amongst them, Chief showed the happiest of smiles, "Come on, Big Sis Dhampy! Let's resume the training!"

He yelled out, his back firmly planted on the ground.

"Say that after you lot get u—"

Bzzt~

Her HNP vibrated and immediately checked who it was.

'Little Sylva?' Dhampy read through the entire message, smiling by the end.

Immediately, she got up.

Chief smirked, "All right! Let's do this!" he yelled, his back still on the ground.

"No, we're stopping the training here. All of you are returning to the Village."

"WHAT!? WHY!?" The sheer shock brought Chief to his feet, "I AM STILL FULL OF ENERGY! AND NO ONE DIED!"

But while Chief protested, the others cheered. They could finally get some rest.

Dhampy didn't show any fluctuation in her emotions as she answered,  "I'm training someone else."

"…What?" Chief wasn't too happy to hear that, "Who?"

This was a long chapter --- thanks for reading as always!

19