Chapter 41
451 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So... it looks like our MC is dying peacefully in their sleep. 

In some of the polls I've put stuff in even though I was certain nobody would vote for it. This was one. Never thought it would get any votes, let alone win.

If it had tied with 'accident' or 'truck-kun' our MC would have died peacefully in their sleep while they were driving. "Grandpa died peacefully in his sleep. Unfortunately, his passengers died screaming in terror."

Viennesoire sat in a chair in the mess hall, surrounded by the crew. Her eyes looked at everyone’s faces with lazy eyes, and didn’t reply to any of their questions.

Charlotte stood to the side, trying to get everyone’s attention with a too quiet voice, “Umm… Uhh…”

Thanks to Luna’s overly sensitive cameras, Ryan heard Charlotte and walked over to her, “What’s up?”

Charlotte seemed relieved and her ears and tail perked up, though she didn’t look too happy, “Umm, Viennesoire wants you to stop talking. It’s annoying.”

Ryan glanced at the ever quiet Viennesoire, “She really hates talking, huh.”

Charlotte nodded, “She only talks if one of us sisters isn’t around.”

Ryan had suspected as much from his infrequent interactions with her, “Yeah, I thought so.”

Charlotte glanced at the crew and her tail lowered a little, “Um… can you tell them for me? I’m not good at interrupting people.”

Ryan wasn’t surprised, “Sure.” She faced the crew and cleared her throat, “Hey guys! The poor girl’s asking you to stop talking.”

It was mainly Becky and Anton doing the talking, so when they turned to Ryan, the noise in the room quieted considerably.

Anton crossed his arms, “Just trying to find out how your girlfriend is doin’.”

Becky nodded in agreement, “Yeah, but maybe we need to give the poor girl some breathing room.”

Viennesoire turned to Charlotte.

Charlotte nodded at something, then turned to Ryan, “She… she says she’s not sure if the Intelligence is Étién’s because it’s weak, but... it’s similar to her… umm.... your soul so it’s p… probably her.”

Ryan turned to Viennesoire, “Can you talk to her?”

Charlotte spoke after a moment, “Vienne says she understands, but can’t talk.”

Becky raised a finger, “So we have her bob up and down for ‘yes’, and move side to side for ‘no’?”

Charlotte scowled at Viennesoire before turning to Becky, “She’s already doing that.”

Anton looked between Charlotte and Viennesoire, “Little Miss Silence said something bad about Becky, didn’t she?”

Charlotte pursed her lips and didn’t respond and, judging from the look on her face, Anton was right.

Becky sighed, “Okay. Now the question is, what do we ask her?”

Ryan looked around the room, hoping for even the slightest chance at seeing Étién’s Intelligence, “Does she know how to get her spirit back?”

Viennesoire turned to Ryan and shook her head.

Evan tapped his chin, “Does she know who could?”

Viennsoire shook her head again.

Ryan had two things come to mind, “The Builder or we find those evil spirits.”

Mayu turned to Ryan, “I will help find the evil spirits. Killing more magic animals to get stronger, too.”

Evan stepped forward, “I will go as well. I may not provide much combat support, but I am sure there are other areas I could help in as well. Perhaps get a greater rapport with the Allen siblings.”

Becky grinned slyly at Evan, “The Allen siblings? You mean River, don’t you? I saw those googly eyes you were making at her last time you saw her.”

Evan straightened his shirt with a quick tug, and shifted on his feet uncomfortably, his face giving away his embarrassment, “She is a fine woman. I see nothing wrong with admiring her and her abilities.”

Anton shot Evan a look of jealousy, “Wait, Evan got a girlfriend before me!?”

Becky looked Anton’s Klingon body up and down, “You’re not going to get a lot of women looking like that.”

Anton looked down at his body, “But… I… I need to go see Mathew…”

Ryan could tell from his face why he wanted to see Mathew, “If you’re gonna die, do it here. You might not come back if you’re in another dimension.”

The crew’s faces went serious at the realization.

Becky put her hands on her hips, “I died once. If it’s to help save a friend I don’t mind dying for real. Most people don’t get a second chance and I’m not going to waste mine.”

Evan’s face relaxed, “Becky is correct. I have died twice, and lived a full life the first time. Using my extra time seems like a worthwhile cause even if it means this life will be my last.”

Mayu turned to Ryan, then looked around the room, “I am not afraid. I want to see my husband and daughter again, but… I can be seeing them in the next life.”

Anton crossed his arms, “Am I the only one still scared of dyin’? Dyin’ hurts, ya know?” He shook his head as if to clear his mind, “I’ll see if the Dwarves can help out. Might be able to go see the Builder if we can’t get Luna back over there.”

Ryan liked that idea, “Yeah, I bet lettin’ them know where the Builder lives will motivate them.” She sighed, “I guess that means I’m staying here. Can’t run the drones or build stuff if I’m over there and I’m not using that stuff that links souls together.”

The Three Stooges entered the room together, and were oddly serious considering how they usually acted.

Marjolaine held up an arm and flexed her massive muscles, “I’m in! Those spirits are askin’ for it, messin’ with my friends!”

Madeleine put an arm around Marjolaine, “Yeah! Don’t know how we’re gonna kill evil spirits, but I’m gonna try!”

Millefeuille walked to Ryan, “I’ll find ‘em for ya! No one’s faster than me!” She patted Ryan’s shoulder, “Yet!”

Ryan cracked a smile, “Got nothing on Luna or the drones, but you’re good.”

Millefuille laughed, “Yeah, yeah… your drones are fast, but I’m the fastest thing alive.”

Anton shook his head, “Umm, no. That’d be Sonic the Hedgehog.”

Millefuille’s gaze shot to Anton, “What!? Where is he!? Can’t let ‘em get away with calling himself the fastest until he beats me in a race!”

Ryan giggled, “He’s not real. Just a video game character past his prime.”

Millefuelle paused, then nodded, “Oh! I remember now! Jaren compared me to him once.”

Vinnesoire walked over to Charlotte and tugged on her dress.

Charlotte’s ears and tail drooped as her face became depressed, “Vienne says the strings holding Étién’s Intelligence to Ryan’s soul will break in a couple hours. After that… it… it will probably be too late.”

Charlotte started tearing up and sniffling.

Becky rushed over to Charlotte, “Hurry and open the gateway! We need to hurry!”

Anton rushed to Charlotte next, “The dwarves might be ready to take us to the Builder. Hurry and open the wormhole!”  

Charlotte fumbled in a pocket and soon the gateway opened.

Everyone but Ryan, Sashae, and Charlotte went through.

Charlotte wrung her hands as she turned to Ryan, her ears and tail perking up slightly, “I’ll stay here with you.”

Ryan couldn’t imagine Charlotte doing any fighting and she was too shy to help recruiting people, “Alright. I appreciate it.”

Charlotte laughed awkwardly, “Don’t want Saki to starve to death…”

Ryan patted Charlotte’s head even though the cat girl was taller than her by a head, which made the gesture a bit awkward, “Yeah… wouldn’t want that.”

There was an awkward silence.

Sashae, who had been watching from the corner silently, stood up from her chair and walked over to Ryan, “I still have things I want to help with here.”

Ryan nodded to Sashae in thanks, “Thanks. Um, so… want to go back to the beach? That feast they’re making for us is almost ready.” She put her hand behind her head and laughed awkwardly, “Maybe we should tell them most of their guests ran off…”

Sashae turned towards the door, worry on her face, “Food sounds great.”

Charlotte put a hand on her stomach, “Oh… I’m not hungry anymore.”

Ryan ruffled Charlotte’s hair, “I’m sure you’ll get hu…” Ryan checked the Ullian camp, “Uh… they’re gone…” She checked the footage, “They started leaving after Pal did.”

Charlotte cocked her head to the side, “Why?”

Sashae furrowed her eyebrows and looked troubled.

Ryan shook her head, “No idea. I’ll ask.”

Ryan called Ullian Command.

A woman picked up immediately, “Hello Ryan. Is there a problem?”

“Everyone on the island but us left. I was wondering if something happened.”

“Not that I’m aware. They left for the day once preparations for your feast finished.”

Ryan relaxed a little, “They could have stayed and eaten too.”

“Please enjoy your feast. Ullia Headquarters, off.”

Ryan rubbed her chin, then shrugged, “Okay… I’ll send some drones to snoop around just in case, but for now, let’s go see what they made for us.”

Sashae cracked a smile and she practically skipped out of the mess hall.

Charlotte paused and twirled her index fingers around each other before looking back to Ryan, “Can I bring Saki? She can’t run away from the island, right?”

Ryan ‘woke’ Mikan up for the first time that day and fluttered over to Saki’s cage, and replied to Charlotte as she did so, “Give me a minute to talk to her.”

Charlotte nodded.

Aoi was napping on Mayu’s pillow and grumbled as Mikan disturbed the bed.

Saki lazily looked at Mikan. The poor fairy had lost most of her spirit thanks to being locked up, and Ryan thought it might be worth giving her a chance.

Mikan knelt in front of the cage door and smiled at Saki, “Want to go outside?”

Saki perked up a bit, her eyes looking around the room, “Mayu Momma will get mad.”

Mikan grinned, “Mayu Momma isn’t on Luna. She left to go find some bad people and won’t come back for a few days.”

Saki moved to the cage door and grabbed the bars, “Is the…” She looked around again, “Étién here?”

Mikan nodded and her and Ryan’s faces showed a deep sadness, “Yes, but Ryan is Étién now.”

Saki grinned, “And Ryan is Mikan! Mikan is amazing! Saki loves amazing Mikan! Has Ryan and Étién! Where did Étién go?”

Mikan looked around the room and Ryan looked around the mess hall, “She’s a mind that’s watching us. Momma Mayu and the others left to try to rescue her.”

Saki pouted, but it was obvious she was struggling to keep herself from saying something.

Mikan fluttered to Mayu’s drawer and opened it, pulling out a key, “Promise to behave if I let you out? We’re getting tons of good food to eat, and there’s a pretty beach to play on.”

Saki brightened up, “Saki will be good! Saki hates this cage! Saki doesn’t want to go back in!”

Mikan fluttered back to Saki’s cage and prepared to put the key in the lock, “Alright, but if you try to hurt anyone or try to run away, I’ll leave you on the smallest island.”

Saki nodded vigorously, “Saki promise! Saki be good!”

Ryan hesitated and studied Saki’s face. The fairy was obviously excited and she couldn’t see any hint that she was lying.

Mikan put the key in the lock, “Alright. It’s just Mikan, Charlotte, Sashae, Étién Ryan, and you.”

Mikan turned the key and the door popped open.

Saki eagerly opened the cage door and fluttered out, taking a moment to do some flips and spins in the air, “Saki so happy Saki is free!”

Mikan flittered up towards Saki, glancing at the scorch marks from her fairy laser she’d put there the first day after getting captured and hoped she hadn’t just made a huge mistake, “Alright. Let’s go have some fun!”

Aoi grumbled and sat up, “Saki! Be quiet!”

Saki fluttered to Aoi and grabbed her hand, pulling her into the air, “Aoi come eat and play with Saki and Mikan at the beach!”

Aoi rubbed her eyes with her free arm, “Aoi already played…” She rubbed her stomach, “But Aoi is hungry.”

Ryan opened the door and turned to Charlotte, “Alright. I let Saki out. Let’s hope she doesn’t do anything.”

Charlotte looked happy and a little relieved, “I will watch her. I think she is a good girl and just needs some time.”

Ryan shrugged, “We’ll see what happens after she sees,” Ryan gestured to herself, “me.”

Charlotte nodded in understanding and the two left the mess hall and waited next to the hatches leading to the other decks.

Saki stopped as soon as she saw Ryan, then slowly approached, “Étién is Mikan?”

Mikan was right behind Saki, and Ryan used her body and Mikan’s to speak at the same time, “I am Ryan, Ryan is Mikan.”

Saki stopped again and blinked a few times, “Waaa.”

Aoi cackled as she glomped on Mikan from behind, “That was weird! Do it again!”

Ryan was about to respond, when Mikan started convulsing uncontrollably and fell to the deck.

Saki shrieked in horror, “Mikan! What’s wrong!?”

Ryan’s brow furrowed in concentration, “I… I can’t control Mikan!”

Charlotte ran to Mikan, “I… I’ll take her to med bay!”

Mikan’s eyes opened and she stopped convulsing, “Charlotte…”

Charlotte sighed in relief.

Ryan became confused, “I didn’t say that...”

Mikan’s eyes focused on Ryan and spoke in Aos Si, “Ryan. He is calling me. I only have a little time left to say goodbye.”

Ryan’s eyes opened in surprise, “Étién!?”

Mikan smiled and nodded, “I… Mikan is Étién. I did not think it would work, but it did. He… he helped me, I think. Use Mikan’s body. I know Saki doesn’t like me, but because she said that, I found a way to speak to you.”

Ryan ran over to Mikan, her eyes beginning to tear up, “Who is he? Why can you not stay in Mikan?”

Aoi flitted around Mikan, “What’s Mikan saying? What’s Mikan saying?”

Saki knelt next to Mikan, “Mikan is okay?”

Charlotte seemed to understand the situation and was tearing up too, “Mikan is okay. Be quiet for a minute, okay?”

Saki scowled, but nodded.

Mikan put a hand up to Ryan’s cheek, “This body does not have a spirit, so I cannot stay. He… He is the one that made our spirits. He said He would give me a new one. A male one this time. So I could be with you. He said I am one of the few who will have experienced having a female and then a male spirit.” She smiled, “Please, accept who you are now. You have my old body and spirit and I am glad it is you that has it.” Mikan’s expression turned remorseful, “I… wish I could have been with you in that body, and you in your old one, but I am getting another chance to be with you, and when I find you again, I will make you my wife.” Her expression warmed, but still had a hint of remorse, “I only knew you for a few weeks, but to think I would find someone I considered spending the rest of my life... no... the eternities, with.”

Ryan started outright bawling, “We will find a way to put things back to how they were. There has to be a way.”

Étién shook her head, “I… It is too late for that. I can feel my memories slipping. If I do not get a spirit soon, I do not think I will remember you, or anything. I will have to start over.”

Ryan caressed Mikan’s head, “But… I do not want this. I want to be with you in this body, and me in mine.”

Étién smiled and pointed to Ryan’s heart, “This is who you are now. Be happy, then come find me. We have a bond. It helped me stay with you as an Intelligence, maybe it can help us find each other after I am born again. I… do not mind getting a new spirit and being a man if it means I can remember the life I had, and you, the one that made me happiest.”

Ryan shook her head, tears scattering across the floor and Mikan’s face, “No… no… The others are looking for a way. There has to be enough time to…”

Étién shook her head in response, “You make an adorable woman. Please look for me. I promise I will become a man that you will love just as much as when your body and soul was mine.”

Ryan nodded reluctantly, “Then… then I will become a wo… a woman that you can love.”

Étién smiled and wiped a tear from Ryan’s face, “It is time to go.”

Ryan nodded, “I will find you.”

Mikan finally started tearing up, “One more thing…”

Ryan nodded again, “Yeah?”

“Ryan is a good man’s name, but a woman as cute as you needs a cute name.”

Ryan lifted Mikan’s head, “Yeah,” then kissed her on the lips.

Mikan was blushing furiously, then touched her lips, “I love you.”

Ryan kissed her again, “I love you too. I’ll miss you.”

Mikan went limp, and Ryan regained his control over her.

Ryan ignored Saki’s screams that sounded like a tea kettle, and stood up, wiping her face off, “I’m hungry, let’s go eat.”

Charlotte put an arm on Ryan’s shoulder, tears streaming down her face, “What did,” she sniffed, “Étién say?”

Ryan smiled sadly, “She… she has to go away.” She looked up at nothing in particular, “But she’s coming back. One of the Great Ones, probably, is giving her a new spirit and letting her be reborn as a man. Then… then we find each other. Then… we find each other.”

Aoi flitted around Ryan and Charlotte, “Why are you crying?”

Ryan turned to Aoi and smiled wholeheartedly, “I got to talk to Étién.”

Aoi looked around the room in confusion, “Aoi doesn’t see Étién.”

Ryan looked down at Mikan, “She… borrowed Mikan’s body, but she’s gone now.”

Saki stopped squeaking and crossed her arms, “Étién is gone now? Étién will come back?”

Ryan closed her eyes for a moment before answering, “Not for a while, but… someday.”

Saki turned towards the hatch to the lower deck in a huff and mumbled to herself before speaking, “Saki is hungry, let’s go.”

Aoi raised her hand in a cheer, “Food! Beach! Let’s go!”

Ryan shook her head. She had a lot to think about, but she didn’t want to ruin dinner and beach time for the others, so pushed Saki and Aoi out of the way and jumped down the hatch, “Let’s go!”

Charlotte looked confused, but ran after the other three.

Ryan easily outpaced the others, and arrived at a long table lined with covered platters of food and sat in a chair with a good view of the ocean and waited for the others.

Aoi arrived next, “Ryan fast! Teach Aoi to go fast too?”

Ryan giggled, “Go ask the Guardian.”

Aoi scowled, “Guardian weird. No thanks.”

Saki fluttered in not far behind Aoi, pulling Mikan by the hand, and looked over the table, “Is the food good?”

Ryan lifted a lid off a platter, revealing a mixed vegetable dish, and shrugged, “We’ll see. Looks good, though.”

Aoi lifted a lid off another platter, revealing a meat and vegetable dish that resembled a traditional Chinese food and not the Americanized stuff, “Yuck! Too many vegetables!”

Ryan nodded in agreement, “We can just pick the meat out…”

Charlotte walked up to the table and considered the food, “Is there any fruit or desserts?”

Ryan looked at Charlotte in surprise, “Hehh, I thought you’d scold us for not wanting to eat the vegetables.”

Charlotte’s ears flattened a little and she scratched her cheek, “I… I don’t like vegetables.”

Ryan lifted another lid from a platter, revealing another meat and vegetable dish, “Well… still better than what we get in the mess hall.”

Charlotte sat down and looked sadly at the vegetables, “I hope they’re not bitter. I… I don’t like bitter.”

Ryan couldn’t help but smile as she considered Charlotte, “You’re a sweet girl, so you like sweet things?”

Charlotte blushed.

Aoi and Saki finished uncovering the last two platters, revealing some sort of dark bread, and a platter of fruit Ryan didn’t recognize that had a fuzzy skin and yellow flesh.

Ryan was about to reach for a plate when Luna received a radio transmission. It was Oln.

Old sounded nervous and distracted, “I see you’ve started your feast. I know it’s such a paltry way to thank you, but it’s a start.” Ryan was about to reply when Oln spoke again, “Which leads me to something that we truly regret. This feast is actually a trap, and we’ve placed several large bombs around the island. We have no intention of hurting you if you stay put, but now that the alien threat is gone, we have some business we need to attend to with those religious fanatics and we need you out of the way. You see, they hold the greatest means of food production and we have decided it is in the best interest to not have such a valuable resource under the care of just one faction. So, until we have secured these resources we need you to sit quietly and watch from a distance. I don’t think I need to tell you what will happen if you try something.”

Ryan began moving drones around Ullia in an attempt to see what was going on, while trying to keep a straight face so the others wouldn’t panic.

Oln finished, “We will let you know when you’re free to leave the island. Please do not respond.”

The radio transmission ended.

Ryan tracked the source of the transmission to a buoy in the ocean to the north.

A drone spotted several large aircraft and dozens of smaller ones emerge from the ocean to the far north east, near the pole. Then another group to the south of that. Then another on the small sea on the opposite side of the pole. They were all heading to the same spot. A mountain range on a small continent to the east of the first aircraft group.

Ryan looked around at the tents surrounding them. There were bombs somewhere in there on top of surveillance cameras. She could probably make it to Luna and escape, but the others couldn’t, especially Charlotte.

So, Ryan grabbed a plate and tried to act natural as she watched the aircraft approach their target.

Once plated she turned to Charlotte, “So…” She needed to distract herself, “Étién said I should change my name. What do you think about…”

Charlotte and the fairies ate while arguing about what Ryan should change her name to, blissfully unaware of the attack happening on Pal’s people. 

There had to be something she could do to get them out of this.

Here's to hoping I didn't make Ryan's reunion with Etien cheesy or cringy. 

This week's poll will choose our MC's attractiveness. The big thing about this is that I won't reveal which choice is what, so you're gonna have to vote blind. Possible options are the generic beautiful to ugly spectrum. I'm doing this because most of the votes would probably go the the extreme ends of the spectrum and want to give the middle choices a chance.

Update:

How about 'Mikan' as Ryan's new name? Already uses it, kinda.

Now that most people have voted, I'm putting the key for the poll now. I've made it so people can't change their votes, so new voters will have to save you.

1-Unattractive

2-Beautiful

3-Above average

4-Ugly

5-Average

Attractiveness
  • Unattractive Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beautiful Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Above Average Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Ugly Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Average Votes: 1 5.3%
Total voters: 19 · This poll was closed on Dec 6, 2021 06:31 AM.
7