Chapter 47
306 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shouldn't have any more delays for chapters. Hopefully. 

Niamh’s plan had worked. Turn the stolen spirit destroyers into drones and use them to make sure the evil spirits couldn’t continue their dark desires. 

Keeva had not only gotten revenge on the spirits by shattering their souls like they had hers, but had prevented them from continuing their work elsewhere.

While she hadn’t originally been going for revenge, or so she told herself, it still felt nice that they had their own device used on them. 

Keeva saw movement in her periphery and jumped when she noticed Radah standing next to her.

Radah looked at Keeva with pride, “You did it!”

Keeva blinked in confusion, “Did what?”

Radah put a hand on her shoulder, “Stop the evil spirits. I was right to put my trust in you.”

Keeva’s mouth hung open for a few moments as she tried to process the situation, “How do you…”

Radah shook his head, “A shame about you and Étién. I would have stopped it if I could, but rules are rules… That’s why I go skiing a lot. Well, and other things. Helps keep my mind off of the things I’m not allowed to do.”

Keeva’s thoughts were jumbled, but Radah’s mention of skiing brought up a memory, “Wait… you were my last customer on the night I…”

Radah’s expression turned to one of sympathy, “The night you died? A shame that… You were just coming to a point in your life where you were considering turning things around, and then… boom! It’s over.”

Keeva slowly raised her hand and pointed at Radah, “You… you’re the Builder!? You put me in the brain jar!”

Radah smiled, “Bingo! I was looking for someone I could trust to command that ship and I felt I could trust you.”

Keeva collapsed to the floor, “But… if you can do that… why couldn’t you do something about the evil spirits. Why couldn’t you stop… stop them from… doing that to Étién?”

Radah’s smile turned sympathetic, “I’m sorry. Even putting your spirit in Luna was pushing the rules. You see, me and those like me aren’t allowed to directly influence the lives of mortals. The rules are less strict once you die so I was able to revive you and your companions using the resurrection pods, but after that the most I can do is talk to you like I did with the notes or chat with you like I am now, and even then I’m not supposed to let you know who I am.” He smirked, “Nothing I can do about it if you figure it out on your own, though.”

Keeva used her chair to help herself stand up, “So we couldn’t find you because…”

Radah nodded, “You needed to do this yourself. Although… I made sure you had the right tools to help you.” He brought up an image of Luna in front of them, “To think there was a ship drifting through the void for almost fourteen billion years. Had to patch up life support, and the reactor before refueling it and installing the resurrection pods.”

Keeva blinked a few times, “Wait… how old did you say Luna is?”

Radah laughed lightly, “Luna is nearly as old as your universe. How could that be? It’s simple. Luna isn’t from your universe, right?”

Keeva remembered how the glowing orbs had made wormholes that led to the place between universes, “So they were explorers and came to my universe?”

Radah shook his head, “That was even before my time, but my friend said she’d heard about humans from a galaxy similar to yours that had a prototype that ran into trouble with the Meatballs and disappeared. That’s how I got the idea to look for the ship. It wasn’t too hard because if you use wormholes early in the formation in a universe you create voids and cold spots. Just look at your map and you’ll see the galaxy where I found Luna is on the edge of a particularly large void.”

Keeva had noticed that, but hadn’t thought about what it might mean, “I guess that makes sense.”

Radah raised a hand, “This will be the only time I do this,” Keeva’s connection to Luna returned, “but I need to get rid of all the data and artifacts you have concerning the devices used to shatter souls.” 

Keeva felt the schematics for the device get erased at the same time as the repair drones moved to destroy the original devices both on Luna and hidden in Niamh’s place. She also lost contact with the three at Mljos Tersa’s core, which promptly cloaked.

Keeva made no attempt to stop him, “Alright. I was thinking of destroying them anyway…” She clenched her fists, “I don’t want anyone else to have to go through that.”

Radah moved a repair drone to a random bulkhead and opened it, revealing a device the size of a grain of rice, “Destroy all of these and you won’t worry about me spying on you anymore. I’ve put the location of the others in your memory.”

Keeva found the data immediately, “Got it.”

The man took a step back and looked like he was considering leaving, “Oh, and there’s an easier way of getting back to the Milky Way than jumping over and over. Of course… you’ll have to find that answer on your own, but I felt a hint wouldn’t break any rules.”

Keeva tried to think about another method they could use to get home, “Oh? Uh… I think about it while we’re finishing up with the Meatballs and the Ullians.”

Radah bowed to Keeva, “Please find Étién. You have a unique link with her so if you use that you should be able to.”

Keeva wanted to ask Radah for more hints, but guessed he would have already told her if he could, “Of course I’m going to find her… uh… him.”

Radah straighted up, “I thought so.” He looked towards the door, “I should go now. You still have some work to do if you want to save this world.”

Keeva turned her attention to the destroyed consoles, “Oh!”

Radah was gone. She had turned her head away for just a moment and that was all it had taken for him to vanish.

Keeva noticed Charlotte frozen where she’d sat at their table, “You okay?”

Charlotte blinked a few times, “Th… that was… was really him? The… the Builder?”

Keeva sighed deeply, “Yeah. It was him. Probably won’t see him again.”

Charlotte stood up and walked stiffly to the back room, “I… I need a break.”

Keeva sighed deeply again, “Me too.”

Keeva sat back down and let her head fall to the table hard enough to cause an audible thump.

She turned her attention back to her drones Mljos Tersa’s core. 

Healer Fawinn and Charlson Elfston were unconscious so she moved a drone towards the control panels while moving the repair drone she’d brought to Mljos Tersa to the entrance on the surface, then inside, and towards the core.

Viennesoire hopped out of the cargo drone and trotted to the closest working console after stopping to grab the weapons from their unconscious enemies.

Keeva moved a drone behind her to watch her, and noticed a label at the base, in English, that said, ‘Cloning Control.’ 

Viennesoire noticed it too, looked at it for a moment, then moved to one labeled ‘Weather Control.’

Keeva noted on the weather control console that different areas were set to different biomes and Viennesoire even changed a desert area to temperate.

Keeva finally turned her attention to the two destroyed panels, which read ‘Core Systems’ and ‘Resurrection Pod Control.’

Keeva moved back to ‘Cloning Control’ and tried to interact with the hologram with no success.

Viennesoire had no trouble so she would have to get her help, “Can you see if you can access ‘Core Systems’ or ‘Resurrection Pod Control’ through there?”

The ever quiet Viennesoire moved through some menus before shaking her head.

Keeva wondered how she knew how to navigate through a computer so easily. Yeah, Keeva had let her use holographic interfaces on Luna, but only once or twice so there was no way she could have gotten this good at using them just from that, “Where’d you learn how to use a computer?”

Viennesoire didn’t look away as she replied, and changed an ‘arid’ area to ‘temperate,’ “Jaren is helping.”

That made sense, “Ah.”

The repair drone arrived and Keeva immediately got to work on the destroyed platform labeled ‘Core Systems.’

Once she got a panel open, she connected to several wires until she found one that connected her to the computer.

She was worried about the dead Adventurers, but containing the black hole trapped inside the metal core was a much bigger problem.

It was hard to miss the system for the black hole as a warning popped up on its own almost immediately, ‘Gravitic suppressors damaged. Containment system collapse in thirty seven hours.”

A schematic of the core sat under the warning text, and sixty four equally spaced panels flashed in warning.

Keeva groaned, “Great, we need to replace sixty four of these gravitic suppressor things. I wonder if they’ve got some spares around here…”

Vinnesoire turned away from the climate control station and walked toward Healer Fawinn, whom she poked in the face with her foot.

Healer Fawinn groaned and rolled onto her back from her side.

Keeva already had the plasma gatlings pointed at them so didn’t have to move, “Wakey wakey!”

Healer Fawinn opened her eyes, “They’re gone? You… destroyed the spirits?”

Keeva bobbed the three drones up and down, “Yep! And now you’re going to help us.”

Healer Fawinn closed her eyes again, “Kill me. I see no reason to help. Not after all I’ve put on the line to destroy this place.”

Keeva couldn’t see any hate, just contempt on the woman’s face, “Why?”

“Why? We’re mere playthings for a failed god. Just the thought of myself and my people living in this glass bubble for the amusement of such a being…”

Keeva could kind of see her reasoning, “Whatever. Better than being dead.”

Healer Fawinn sighed, “With this place gone, spirits will be born in other places. I am doing them a favor.”

Keeva recalled the people in the city, “Eh, they seem happy enough. Sure, the Builder made this place for his amusement, probably, but it’s not like he makes you dance like monkeys or put on shows for him.”

Healer Fawinn didn’t answer and rolled her head to the side.

Instead, Charleston Elfston sat up, “I share much of the same sentiment as my companion, but out of respect for your unexpected victory by means of using our own invention against us, I will help.”

Keeva pointed a gatling drone at the Aos Si man, “Sorry. Don’t trust you.”

Charleston Elfston cracked a smile, “As you should.” He glanced towards the exit, “The floor above has several storerooms of replacement parts for the core, however, we instructed three of our test subjects to destroy everything inside.” His smile broadened, “If you’re lucky, you might find something they missed. They’re not the most intelligent creatures.”

Ryan moved the cargo drone and a gatling drone to the next floor up.

The two prisoners stayed quiet, with Healer Fawinn doing some sort of meditation, and Charlston Elfston watching Viennsoire continue to alter Mljos Tersa’s climate controls with mild amusement.

It didn’t take long for Keeva to find the storeroom because the door leading to it was now destroyed and lying crumpled inside and just to the side of the entrance.

Inside, sounds of metal being crushed and bent could be heard.

Keeva cloaked the gatling drone and moved it inside.

The store room was vast, making some warehouses look small in comparison as the shelves looked like they went on for kilometers and also went up at least ten stories. 

The destruction caused by the test subjects sent by their captives was immediately apparent as it didn’t take Keeva long to find several shelves had been tipped over and their contents destroyed. It looked like the test subject, probably what they called the patchwork men, had been at work for several days at least judging by the amount of destruction.

Keeva’s attention turned to several dozen small drones, many of which flew to and from holes in the ceiling where they either placed or retrieved an item. There were also several equipped with tools that were attempting to repair the damage done by the patchwork men and were in the process of raising a toppled shelf back into position.

Keeva looked around the room and found a destroyed console not far from the door. If she could use the repair drone to hack into it, she might be able to use the system to find what they need.

While the repair drone arrived, Keeva used the gatling drone to follow the sounds of destruction.

The three patchwork men weren’t difficult to find, and were currently tearing at a shelf, destroying all they could get their hands on.

Keeva opened fire at the closest one, sending a rain of plasma bolts at it.

The creature’s skin resisted the plasma at first, but the sheer amount coming at it overcame it it’s resistance quickly.

Of course, it’s companions immediately found the attacking drone and began hurling whatever items they could while rushing at it.

Keeva jumped the drone to a different position, and opened fire at a second patchwork man.

Keeva was happy the drone was proving effective, but between its use of the cloak, it’s mini FTL drive usage, and with how quickly the gatling used fuel, it would be all but useless after this fight. That is, until she refueled it with the cargo drone.

Not that she cared, because there were now three dead patchwork men that could no longer destroy any more equipment. 

Healer Fawinn’s eyes bolted open and she rushed at superhuman speed towards Viennesoire. 

At the same time, Charlton Elfston leapt at the nearest gatling drone, his staff tearing itself from Viennesoire’s grip, and into his hand.

Keeva’s computer brain reacted immediately and moved the drone threatened by Charlton Elfston and moved the other to block Healer Fawinn from attacking Viennesoire.

Healer Fawinn’s arm glowed as she struck at the gatling drone now blocking her path.

Keeva couldn’t move the gatling drone for Viennesoire’s safety, but it managed to get a short salvo off before Healer Fawinn’s attack connected with it.

The drone survived the attack, it’s armor just above the gatling gun denting and splitting from the hit, the force of which had also pushed it towards the ground.

Healer Fawinn was still alive, but her right shoulder and upper arm had taken several good hits of plasma, revealing charred bone in some places and smoking charred skin and muscle in others.

Charleston Elfston didn’t turn to follow the drone he’d attacked and ran towards the exit at a speed that only a pure yellow build could. However, he still had nothing on Millefeuille and had no chance against a drone that could move at faster than light speeds.

Healer Fawinn struck at her drone again with her left arm, but a plasma bolt struck her in the chest as Viennesoire fired a plasma pistol.

Healer Fawinn staggered and clutched the wound on her heart, then fell to the floor, dead.

Viennesoire looked at Healer Fawinn’s body with contempt, before moving off to find a safe spot to hide.

Charleston Elfston didn’t stop when he saw the drone appear in front of him, but raised his staff and sent beams of light at it.

The drone took the hits like a champ, the beams of light merely causing the armor to heat up slightly, and Keeva opened fire at his legs.

Charleston Elfston looked irritated that his attacks hadn’t destroyed the drone and began moving erratically to avoid the now incoming plasma attack.

Once the second drone joined in on the attack, he had no chance of dodging the hail of plasma, but instead of letting the attacks cripple him, he moved headfirst into the plasma, taking hits along his head and chest, killing him before Keeva had a chance to react.

Keeva sighed. She had hoped to take them prisoner. Still, she felt no remorse for killing them. It was the fact that the deaths were now burned into her meat brain that worried her. She was going to have to live with this scene for probably the rest of her life. Even if these people were evil and despicable, they were still people, and she had ended their lives. Sure, she had seen others die, but this was the first time she’d killed a person.

Viennesoire returned to Healer Fawinn’s body, knelt next to it, and checked her pulse.

Viennesoire stood up, satisfied Healer Fawinn was dead, and began walking to the exit.

Keeva focused on finding the parts they needed now that her drones weren’t under attack, and found where they were stored. Right in the middle of the destruction left by the patchwork men.

It looked like they would need to scan them and see if they could work from there.

With this done, Keeva updated the others on the situation, “Hey guys, I’m done. Gotta clear out a few patchwork men I passed up on the way down and I wanna try and see if I can get the Adventurers to surrender if I show them the bodies of their employers, so wait just another minute.”

Anton swore, “Took you long enough. Been sitting out here twiddlin’ our thumbs while starin’ at these ugly guys.”

Becky rushed from Shina’s back room with Charlotte and Shina, “Vinnesoire’s safe? Charlotte seems a little put off by something, so she’s not answering.”

Keeva nodded, “Yep! Healer Fawinn tried taking a swing at her, but she was probably doing it because I’d use a drone to get in her way and it was the only way she could get a hit in.” Keeva scratched her cheek, “I’ve got some bad news, though… Umm… the resurrection pod controls were destroyed. I think they even did something to the pods so the Adventurers might not get revived. So… umm… we should probably warn everyone that they probably won’t come back if they die.” She laughed wryly, “Just like normal people…” She breathed out through her nostrils, “And yeah… we have to repair the core or the black hole inside will eat this whole place in a day and a half… So… Charlotte, we’re heading back to Luna. We’ve got some damaged parts to scan then print sixty four of them… I guess I can get in contact with the Ullians and ask them about the virus plan… and…”

Becky raised her hand, “Stop. Breathe.”

Keeva felt herself shaking from stress and nervousness, “Sorry. I guess killing someone’s doing more to me than I thought.”

Becky hugged Keeva, “Listen, you had to do what you had to do.”

Keeva returned Becky’s hug, “Yeah… but I think I’m gonna need some time alone sooner than later.”

Anton’s irritated voice came over the comm, “Don’t forget to grab me and Evan.”

A Gateway appeared in Shina’s and Niamh walked through, with Mayu, Anton and Evan visible just behind her, “Please hurry. We can handle the remaining Adventurers.”

Keeva jumped the cargo drone to the deck of the pirate ship and dumped Healer Fawinn and Charlton Elfston’s bodies on the deck before going back to get Viennesoire, “Here ya go. Got to get Viennsoire and get some parts to scan so it’ll be another minute.”

Niahm’s eyes widened at the sight of Charlton Elfston’s body, “Elder Astarch. I was right. You were colluding with the evil spirits.”

Mayu walked to the bodies and began looking them over.

Anton paused to look at the bodies before going through the Gateway, “Looks like they got on the wrong end of the plasma gatling.”

Keeva turned away from the bodies and closed her eyes, the images of them dying appearing in her mind.

Becky grabbed Keeva and gave her side by side hug, “I’ll be here if you need someone to talk to.”

Charlotte seemed to snap back into the world when she saw Keeva’s distress, “Um… I’ll… I’ll be here too.”

Mayu stood up from her inspection of the bodies and gave Keeva a warm smile, “I will too.”

Niamh’s expression turned gentle, “As your adopted mother, I will do all I can to help you.”

Keeva smiled and looked at everyone in turn, “Thanks. It means a lot to me.”

Evan walked through the Gateway, “I would offer, but… such things are not something I have confidence in.”

Keeva shook her head, “It’s cool.”

Anton scratched his cheek, “Ya know. I… well… I’m not so good at that sorta stuff either. But if there’s somethin’ I can do, I’ll do it.”

Keeva nodded, “It’s a deal.”

Evan noticed River jump over the edge of the pirate ship’s deck, “Perhaps I should stay. River… If it’s true her brother is…”

Keeva waved Evan off, “Go on. If he’s really… well…”

Becky smiled sadly, “Yeah, her brother was a creeper, but he was still her brother. I’m sure she’ll be happy to have someone be there for her.”

Evan walked back through the Gateway.

Niamh turned back to the bodies, “Good luck! I will see to things here.”

The Gateway closed.

Charlotte turned to Keeva, “Do… do you want me to open it?”

Keeva shook her head, “Almost out with Viennesoire and the parts we need.” She turned to Becky, “So… the Builder came here. That’s why Charlotte’s a bit out of it.”

This of course led to retelling the conversation and lots of questions before returning to Luna.

7