CH55 — Tihandu
669 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You’re still asking for more?” Rin Tin Tin’s finger played with the short blade as her head turned to look at her.

“Defeat is the best teacher,” Huling spoke while getting up from the arena’s ground. 

“Just stay down, I’m sure your oh so good friend Yao Khange will have time for you later. In the meantime, I’ll go look for Ku Lo.”

Yao Khange… 

After being harshly told off by Ku Lo, she had spent a lot of time thinking about his words. But the more she thought, the less things made sense to her, regardless of whether she stuck to her position or his.

Her initial theory of having someone pose as Yao Khange to incite conflict between the two suffered from a fatal flaw.

An enraged stranger seeking vengeance for a beating that Khange had no memory of would be unnecessarily suspicious.

On the other hand, the two faced Khange in Ku Lo’s eyes had no apparent reason to let him off the first time, only to take more action later.

Then there was the fight after their deal. Forget about giving away his identity, why would a possessive Khange send people to rape her in the first place?

When she snapped back into reality, her rival was already a dozen paces away. “Hold it. I’m not done with you!”

Rin Tin Tin huffed before sheathing her sword. “I’ll leave the sect and go search for Ku Lo-” She turned around. “You’re too boring and I’m running out of time.” 

“I’ll come with you!” Huling exclaimed behind her back. 

“What use of would you be to me?” Rin Tin Tin didn’t stop her stride. “With how weak you are, you’ll do little but slow me down.” 

“Where are you two going?” 

“Deacon Dai,” Rin Tin Tin bowed towards the buxom blonde, as was expected of her alias. “What a coincidence, I was to find you and tell I’ll be taking a leave from the sect.” 

“Granted.” 

“Deacon Dai,” Huling dashed to Rin Tin Tin’s side, too close to comfort — Her eye twitched again. “I’ll be going with her.” 

Rin Tin Tin gave her a dead stare. “Why do you persist?”

“We have the same goal, so why not stick together?” 

“Rin Tin Tin, take her with you, okay? I couldn’t even allow an Elder’s daughter to leave alone, but with you-” Deacon Dai tilted her head from side to side, twice. “I think that could go through” 

“Can’t you go with her? It isn’t like—”

“Enough! Student Rin Tin Tin, you’ll take her with you, understood?” 

While the sisters were extremely tight lipped about their own origins, Gingge had been more than happy to fill him in on general knowledge.

Tihandu was the southernmost city of the Spirit Continent subordinated to the branch of a sect on the level of the palaces, the sword sect.

It’s main economy was the excavation of Qi stone below a mountain range even further south that was traded and shipped through here. This prosperity gave rise to a multitude of clans — families who possessed mines and could dabble into the world of cultivation through affiliation with the sword sect.

Right now, Ku Lo’s eyes were on the city’s walls that ran alongside the Arctic Sea and on both shores of the Great Northern River. It was no fortress, but for its massive size and population, the massive brick barrier was probably sufficient. Anyway, it wasn’t like walls would hinder cultivators much so why bother?

“Za and Ingen were at each other’s throats for nearly three decades, even challenging the weaker families for mines during the competition to get ahead.”

“So they took your mines, too? And your sister is here to win them back?”

“A few, but more importantly, the Wuu! They stay out of everything, and just defend their claims as necessary.”

“At what level is the competition? I want to join, too.”

“Only the offspring of clans can participate.”

“I’m Gingge’s lover and husband-to-be. Once we reach your parents, we can make it official and that should do it, right?”

“n—” Gingge got started before Ku Lo’s consciousness shifted completely to a frail voice coming from behind.

“Lo’er-” Cough. “Are we here?” 

Ku Lo ordered for the horse to stop for a few seconds before continuing to travel by the stretcher place between two horses carrying it and his little sister. “We’re on the bridge already. Do you want me to describe it for you?” 

The three days of travel had taken a toll on Ku Xie, who was alive thanks to the healing amulet. Without it, she would have probably died on the way here.

“Mmm, I would like that,” Ku Xie murmured from under the furs covering all but her white eyes. 

“Okay,” he said and began to glance at the things around them. “There’s hundreds of people here. A big wolf-like monster is being ridden by two men in armour. The gate we’re under is the size of a barn.” 

“Is there anything-” Cough. “Warm?” 

“On the direction of the city, yes-” He stared down a long, bustling road leading into the distance. “Fires, so many fires. They must be keeping the temperature of the whole city up by a good bit.” 

“That’s good…” 

“Sleep well.” Ku Lo had halted his horse the second he had heard her just because of this. Ku Xie still couldn’t stay up for long, maybe two to three hours now that they were travelling. Every moment was precious, so he would always stop everything if she was awake. 

“Son, do you think those healers will find her now that we’re gone from the village?” His mother, Shu, asked him a question when Ku Xie was surely asleep. 

“They will.” There wasn’t a hint of hesitation in him. No one had told the ascetic where the Mahran Village or Ku Xie was in the first place so… Yeah, it wouldn’t be hard for the ascetic to find them. 

It was strange, but from the short glimpses he got of his strength, Ku Lo most likely wouldn’t be able to face him right now anyway. The ascetic didn’t harm her in any way, so I shouldn’t feel threatened by him. Although he still wished to discuss with him.  

… 

“What do you want?” Their group was halted by two men in front of a gap between a block of houses. “This is Huang Family territory.” 

Qingling presented a piece of carved wood. But with the focus on her, he noticed that while he was busy with the others, she seemed to have changed. 

Like when he’d first met her. Icy and distant.

And something new. A sharp, lethal presence.

They said things were difficult. But how bad is it that you look like you’re about to kill someone?

“Let them in! They are family member’s! Get out of the way before something bad happens!” 

The other guard obeyed, jumping his back against one of the two buildings which created the gap. 

Passing them and the gap in houses used as a gate did they come into a rather tight inner courtyard. The one he had in the Yin and Yang Sect was smaller for sure, but taking into account the buildings should accommodate dozens of people it was small. 

People noticed them of course, but stayed back and watched from the sidelines as their group arrived in the middle of the square, silently relaying messages through whispers.

“Old bastard! Come out!” Qingling called.

Complete silence, still no one talking to them directly.

Qingling had a face if stone; void of any expression.

Gingge seemed to go through a short struggle, but soon faced the big doors on the other side of the courtyard with a resolve similar to her sister’s.

Shu maneuvering Xie further behind felt almost obnoxiously loud.

In the end, a brawny man who had a bear leather around his head and shoulders walked onto the courtyard. “Who has the guts to go around my family calling people bastards?.” 

“Family head! Young miss Gingge and Qingling have returned!” Someone close to the doors and dressed fairly well for the standards of the onlookers informed him.

The family head turned to face the two, but rather than the one who had called for him, his focus was on Gingge.

“Ging’er, my pride! Did you visit to bring back your sister? Have you finally realized that she’s not made for cultiva—”

“No.” Qingling cut in.

“Didn’t I tell you this already? Only those with power have the right to speak, you keep quiet and listen.”

“You leave me no choice father.” Qingling drew her sword, aiming it straight at her own father’s head. 

“I demand a Honor Duel.” 

The courtyard exploded with chatter. 

9