Chapter 183
33 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 183: Dignity

The day went by quickly, as the two walked through town, stopping to eat at other food stalls and looking at certain shops. If a stranger were to look at them from afar they might just think the two were on a date.

Of course, to Emelia, it was in one sense of the word. In Val’s case, he tried taking it as professionally as possible, but that sort of attitude changed. He still saw the entire affair as a job, meant for the protection of the Princess. But by the end, he couldn’t deny he enjoyed it, and he’d probably say that roaming around with Emelia without a care felt quite nice.

A walk through the garden around towards the back of the manor was a good finish to the day.

Sir Val: “The walk through town was a very enjoyable experience, Princess. Thank you for choosing me as your escort, I feel my day off would have been plain without you.”

Sir Val: “I hope you have a good evening, Princess.”

He bowed and left towards the back stairway. Of course, she stood and turned to see Sir Bruce walking close behind.

Bruce: “So, how did it go, my lady? I knew the dress would work, but did he show more interest with the attitude change?”

Emelia: “I, I didn’t put up the act as you said to, I just acted like I usually do.”

Bruce: “You at least showed some restraint, men like to chase something they know they can’t have.”

Emelia: “I know, but once I was out there I couldn’t help it...”

Val walked up on the porch, stopping before the railing. He interrupted there conversation.

Sir Val: “I found your spirit so far quite charming my Lady. Though Sir Bruce, you had the right idea in mind, however having such a disinterested attitude only works with those who you are not already acquainted with.”

Sir Val: “And maybe meet somewhere in private to talk about such a confidential matter... Just an observation, you might want to consider.”

As he said his goodbye, his eyes lingered on Emelia, not leaving till he turned. His expression was a bit sterile, not smiling nor frowning.

Emelia was a little bit worried. She rushed around toward the stairs, reaching Sir Val before he walked inside.

Emelia: “Sir Val, I’m sorry, if I offended you..!”

He put his hand on her head and spoke close so only she could hear.

Sir Val: “It really is sweet how much you're trying to gain my favor, though don’t lower yourself to the point where you have to restrain your personality. That’s what makes your such a delight to be around.”

He backed off slightly taking his hand away.

“And as I keep reminding you, you are a princess, have a little more self-regard and dignity. You did enjoy yourself which was great, but this world isn’t always safe.”

He bowed once more and spoke goodbye.

Sir Val: “As I said already, good evening, Princess..”

She stood there twiddling her thumbs.

She looked up from the ground, Sir Val was already out of sight.

Bruce: “Do you think your chances are out the window at this point?”

She turned to him, embarrassed and a tad saddened.

Emelia: “No, there’s always a chance, though I’ll just not listen to your romantic advice anymore.”

Bruce: “I never won your heart so maybe you shouldn’t have trusted me in the first place.”

He started laughing and then she did. It wasn’t outrageous, it was held back and just a little bit to lighten the mood.

Emelia: “Even if it was a fail I still had a good time, and so did Sir Val it seems.”

Bruce: “Your happiness is all that matters, my lady.”

———

-Hugh’s POV-

Sylphy: “I thought we were heading to Azeron, why are we taking a detour?”

Hugh: “I didn’t want to either but I thought I’d inform the Beastman Republic about the situation and see how the troop are doing while we’re down here. I’ll also acquire a vessel to bring my men to the Elven continent since I know you don’t want to go back there.”

I hugged her and tried soothing her tension. Hugh: “It’ll only be a few days then we’ll sail.”

We sailed toward the Beastman Isles before heading north. Allowing them to understand the current situation, while resting and gaining supplies is always helpful. Father gained their friendship along with the Elven royals years ago and the ties never faded. This was my first time sailing to see them. It was a welcomed surprise for my crew and me. We sailed to the largest island, Brutus, and made it to a port village. It was larger than what I expected. From afar it was different from Human societies. It seemed a bit more rustic and embraced nature a bit more.

We had no trouble docking, the wind was on our side.

Red: “Are you sure they're going to welcome us, I know you have ties but do they know what you look like or who you are.?”

Hugh: “We’ll have the see, though the Demon’s soldiers here should know of my appearance.”

My men walked down the stair plank and waited for me and Sylphy did the same.

Sylphy and I held hands as we walked down the pier.

Two guards of the demon race walked up before we stepped off the pier.

Guard 1: “Apologies, but could you please identify yourself and state your business?”

I looked him in the eye and spoke.

Hugh: “Of course, my name is Hugh Vanity, this is my fiancé Princess Sylphy Lavender and these are my guards. We are here to stock up our boat and rest before sailing back north.”

He looked at my appearance and then at the others, and smiled nonchalantly.

Guard 1: “Though this is a surprise we are glad to see you, Your Highness, we apologize again, we were simply following protocol.”

They bowed and I spoke.

Hugh: “You shouldn’t apologize for doing your job, keep up the good work... Now, do you know of any good places to stay.?”

Guard 2: “If you would follow me, Your Highness, I’m sure the village leader would be glad to accommodate you and your party. Please follow me.”

———-

To be continued

2