Chapter 185
29 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 185: Training

-Val’s POV-

After the walkthrough town, I went back to my room. I rested on the bed and thought about what the Princess might do next. Of course, while thinking of her, my mind drifted off envisioning the details of her that caught my attention.

The next morning I couldn’t remember when I went to bed or what my last memory was. I did my usual morning training and noticed the Princess in the stands as usual, though she left shortly after my training ended. Usually, she would stay behind and watch my movements. As I saw her leave I followed till I reached her on the path back to the manor.

Val: “Princess..!”

She turned with a common smile, her eyes seemed a tad bit tired, but the expression wasn’t hindered.

Emelia: “Hello... Sir Val... What can I do for you..?”

Sir Val: “I just wanted to walk and talk with you for a moment before going to work.”

Emelia: “That sounds nice... What do you want to talk about.”

Sir Val: “I always see you watching the training, but never participating. I know it isn’t proper etiquette for a princess to learn the sword but I heard of how your father taught Princess Rose and was wondering if you learned as well.”

Emelia: “Haha, yes father tried teaching all three of us, but I never had an aptitude for it. The swords were too large for me, and I never had enough strength to wield them. I take more after my mother in that sense.”

Sir Val: “Were you taught basic defense?”

Emelia: “I wasn’t good at any of the physical activities.”

Sir Val: “Well, if your open one day this week I can train you to use a dagger, and how to protect yourself with it.?”

Emelia: “Mm, I don’t know.”

I opened the door to the manor for her and spoke as she walked in.

Sir Val: “I can tell you are hesitant, if you don’t wish to, I completely understand. I simply want to see you a little bit more protected. If you don’t wish to practice at the training grounds we can find a secluded place within the garden to practice.”

Emelia: “Okay... Please take care of me..”

Sir Val: “Of course. It’s my duty to see you taken care of, My Lady.”

As we parted I bowed and she continued to smile walking away.

————

In the afternoon, I walked down a tad till we were behind the greenhouses. No one was around and it was open enough to practice.

Sir Val: “Remember Princess, whenever you wish to stop or take a break please tell me.”

Emelia: “Okay, what are we starting with.?”

Sir Val: “Do you know how to hold one of these?”

I had a wooden practice dagger with me and gave it to her to hold.

She grasped it, I watched how she held it and tapped the back of my hand against the flat part of the wooden blade. It was knocked easily out of her hand.

Sir Val: “You need to hold it tightly, or a simple tap can cause you to lose your defense.”

I picked the dagger up. I grasped her hand and placed it where she should hold it.

Sir Val: “I don’t expect you to need such training but in cases where you have no one to defend you it is always good to know how to protect yourself.”

Emelia: “Is it because I worries you so much yesterday.?”

I let out a breath and spoke.

Sir Val: “Partly. Now, if someone is coming forward about to grab you or strike you, duck and jab, though make sure your body moves to their side so that you’re not left open to attack if your first strike doesn’t do enough damage.”

I showed her a demonstration and asked her to do the same.

I watched her try to do the movement from my direction, but it wasn’t great.

I walked behind her, holding her hands with mine I showed her how to stand with the knife in hand.

My hand slid around her stomach and waist as I spoke close to her ear.

Sir Val: “Breath deep, holding your stomach tight. When their within range slowly breathe out and complete the movement.”

I could tell she was moving her head to view me but I continued.

Sir Val: “Never take your eyes off your opponent. That leave’s you open to attack.”

I bent down with her and extended her hand as an example of how to jab. My other handheld her side and positioned her hips to support her thrust. After the single attack was done, I started to release my grasp, my nose slid past her neck, catching a whiff of her scent.

I backed off slightly and stood in front of her.

I presented myself as the opponent and she seemed to copy the movements well.

Sir Val: “This works well against those who leave themselves open, next I’ll show you how to disarm a person who shows no opening.”

I walked a few feet away from her and stood strong with my knees slightly bent.

Sir Val: “Come at me with the knife.”

Emelia: “Does it matter how I hold it.?”

Sir Val: “From my experience, individuals will hold it close to their chest with both hands, off to their side in one hand, or try slashing down from above. Though hold it however you like.”

She held it in one hand off to the side, I was waiting for her to dash forward.

She gripped the knife tightly and lunges it forward toward me. I backed up slightly and pivoted my body to the side. With a single hand, I grasped her hand twisting it so that she would let go.

We both stopped and I let go.

Sir Val: “You did see what I did, correct.?”

She was looking away from me as she backed away rubbing her wrist.

I walked close to her clutching her hand and rubbing the area with my thumb.

Sir Val: “I apologize if I was too forceful.”

Emelia: “No I’m fine.”

I grasped the dagger off the ground and handed it to her.

Sir Val: “Then it’s your turn to try.”

We both smiled and got into position.

———

To be continued

2