Chapter 188
30 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 188: Sailing North

-Hugh’s POV-

The two of us and the rest of the men on the boat sailed for a few days from the Elven Continent. The first port city was in a human-held kingdom situated above the Asterak Kingdom. The port was nothing but a way station for mariners. Dozens of stalls sold goods and food. Many businesses had their affairs in shipping. A majority of the public gained their livelihood from individuals like us, who only docked to restock and rest.

I asked the captain to sail as fast as the sea would allow but even so, it still was going to be a long journey up north. He said that the next way station was a week away at best. Sylphy and I both understood how tiresome such a trip was and will be. Staying the night in a stationary inn was the best way for us to get a break from the ever rocking boat.

The food was well cooked though I could tell the workers weren’t used to seeing demons. Their guards were up the entire time we were there. The room was clean enough and a bath was prepared. After the night ended we continued on our journey.

———-

-Val’s POV-

It’ll take a month for the couple to arrive in Azeron. It’s likely His Highness will not want to waste any time waiting for the wedding. A grand affair, a simple gathering, all eligible options for the ceremony. All seemingly up to His Highness’ sisters to decide. Princess Emelia presented a special interest in the planning of her brother’s wedding. I smiled while watching the Princess’ giddy attitude. It was like she was planning her wedding. Nothing was being set up yet, just the preliminary steps, such as picking out where it will take place, who will be attending, and so on. All I did was stand in the hallway looking in on the young girl writing her ideas down without a care in the world. A smile didn’t leave her face and every time she had a new idea her eyes lit up. Such innocence was simply captivating, though I sadly had to continue down the hallway to where His Highness Leon worked.

Leon: “Oh. Val good that you’re here, did you finish compiling the expense report on all the territories?”

I walked in and handed the papers to him.

I stood and watched him read the papers.

Val: “Everything seemed normal, however, I’m not sure why the northern territories have close to the same expense number as the southern territories, their populations are much lower.”

Leon: “Well, a majority of our ore mines are in those territories so a large portion of the money is used to increase operations.“

Val: “Even so, if a majority of the people, cities, and ports are in the south why aren’t the expenses more.”

Leon: “The northern territories don’t have governing demon lords, their infrastructure isn’t as good as the south and it’s cold year-round. The southern territories have enough commerce to cover their expenses, but the north doesn’t have such luxuries so we have to make it so they have a chance.”

Val: “I guess that makes sense, a territory that can survive without the assistance of its monarch shouldn’t be prioritized over the development of their counterparts.”

Leon: “I guess that’s one way of looking at it.”

I sat down at the desk close by and asked a question.

Val: “The Princess’ seemed quite invested in His Highness’ wedding preparations, are you sure it’s right to leave everything in their hands?”

Leon: “Hu, I’ve planned enough weddings in my lifetime, I’m glad someone else took control...“

His eyes left the paper in front of him and we locked eyes for a moment. Then he looked back at his sheet.

Leon: “I’m sure you noticed Emelia in the library. I think we can agree that this is special for her?”

I smiled looking from him to the desk.

Val: “Princess Emelia is almost always seen with some type of smile, though I think it’s brighter today. I often wonder how she might act when her own wedding is being planned. Will her expression grow even more bright or will there be a bit of anxiety...?”

He looked at me as if reading my inner monologue or scoping who I truly was.

He sighed and we continued our work

———

To be continued

2