18. Taken for Granted
125 4 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tak!

 

Tak! 

 

Tak!

 

After going to the Jura Family, Jiang quickly left to find Kiel, knowing what he had done. It was already dawn when he arrived, yet the sound of crisp placement still echoed. 

 

In front of his house, Kiel played on his own, overlooking the East.

 

Jiang was at a loss for words.

 

Playing alone with his blood still streaming down his wounds, the board had long been caked in Kiel's own blood, yet he continued to play. He was no longer crying, but evidence of it remained.

 

"Master…." 

 

Kiel finally stopped and shot a glance over at Jiang, "Did you come from the Jura Manor?"

 

Jiang nodded.

 

"How is everyone?" Kiel asked as he raised his arm.

 

Jiang spoke hesitantly, "I'm sorry to inform you but only Lady Luca survived. Everyone died with a weapon in their hands. If not for someone's intervention and halting the flow of blood and burning her lifeblood to increase her chances of survival, she would have perished as well."

 

"Oh… so everyone died…." Kiel spoke with his usual monotonic tone.

 

Tak! 

 

"What of Irys' body? Where is she going to be buried?"

 

Tak!

 

"She has no relatives or friends, and Luca is unconscious. Master's identity as her friend remains hidden. Family Head Irys made sure no one knew you were visiting her per your requests. With all that said, as her doctor, I am considered to be the closest relative who is conscious; it falls upon my shoulders to organize her wake and funeral. Many townsfolk owe her for all the help she had given them."

 

Nearing her death, Irys didn't really see any more use of money. Her Family had substantial wealth, and Irys spent it to help those in need. Businesses flourished, the hungry were fed, those who were sick were given medicines, and the town was thankful for that.

 

The whole town would feel her loss, and when news of her death circulated, everyone grieved for such an untimely death. Just when she showed signs of getting better from her disease, assassins were sent to kill her.

 

No one has any idea why someone would do such a thing, and if they did, those who did it would have longed to perish before dawn arrived. Kiel continued playing all throughout the entire healing process.

 

Even when Jiang finished treating Kiel, the boy did not stop playing… neither did he allow anyone to play with him. For the next week, other than taking a bath, being treated by Jiang, Kiel continued playing independently. 

 

He refused to even eat or drink. 

 

The pieces hitting the board would echo all day long without rest.

 

Three more days later, another person accompanied Jiang to visit the lonesome boy.

 

Luca approached Kiel and sat across from him.

 

Tak!

 

"Family Head." Luca bowed respectfully to Kiel.

 

Lifting his eyes away from the board, Kiel looked her dead in the eyes.

 

It was a lifeless expression, without a semblance of light, "Do not call me that, Luca. I never married Irys, and never have I agreed to marry her."

 

"That may be so, but the Family Head already made preparations." 

 

Luca brought out a scroll, but Kiel only spared her a glance and was ignored. Luca opened the scroll and read it aloud herself, not minding his attitude.

 

—Well, if you're reading this, that means I died even after all the effort you put into keeping me alive. Now, I don't know if you will read this to its end or be bored halfway through, so I'm going straight to the point. I'm leaving the assets of the Jura Family in your hands, my only friend, Kiel. Everything that I leave behind my wealth and my treasures to you, anything that has value. This is the least I can do to accompany this useless blind annoyance.—

 

Luca finished reading the entirety of Irys' will. Jiang wasn't that shocked, and Kiel did not have much to say.

 

"I thought Irys was only blind physically, but it appears I was wrong."

 

"Family Head, watch your words." Though she respects and feels eternal gratitude to Kiel, even she has a reverse scale that cannot be touched. Hearing disrespect pointed at the previous Family Head's way was not something she would let be.

 

"Shout as you would, but that is the truth. We knew each other for three months, and now she presents me as the successor? In my eyes, it should be you who must succeed her wealth; you watched over her since she was young. You were like a sister and a mother to Irys, and I could see that you cared about her enough to risk your life for her."

 

"Don't think ill of the previous Family Head because it was I who wished for this arrangement. I was there when she abruptly made the decision to write her will; she asked me if I wanted to inherit everything, but I knew that I would only lead the Jura family to its downfall, so I asked her to choose the best candidate to lead us… and though the Jura family has no servants, we have the assets to rise again. With you leading us, we can rise again… and fulfill the previous Family Head's wishes."

 

The Jura Family would only fall if it was not handed to someone who could lead. Kiel was the best candidate one could find. He's intelligent, wise, resourceful, and broad-minded. He moved without anyone noticing and was beyond Irys in every front except his socializing ability.

 

Kiel was the perfect leader for the Jura Family to have a chance to rise, and Luca knew that he was the perfect candidate, "The Jura Family is from the Central Plains before we were betrayed by our close allies. The Family Head's parents were killed in a siege, and her depression led her to contract the Spring Tears. The previous Family Head did not say it to you, but, when alone, she would often speak of a chance… that the Jura Family could go back to the Central Plains and erect a tomb for her parents. But... more than that. We might be able to gather leads on who sent the bastards after the Family Head."

 

Luca knows that one of the bastards from the Central Plains orchestrated this, "Family Head Kiel, please... help me avenge her!"

 

TAK!

 

Kiel finished another game.

 

"Where is Irys buried?"

 

"…at the backyard, under the Silver Willow Tree where you two frequent." She answered.

 

"That is all I needed to hear… Luca, I understand your circumstances, but I still cannot accept the position of Family Head."

 

"But—"

 

"I am not finished." 

 

Luca could not defy his orders. He looked her in the eyes, a deep sadness brewing in its depths.

 

"I could've saved Irys if only I was stronger, but... I failed. Do you think I don't want to avenge her? But, I cannot leave my home just yet. I promised to wait for my family here. I will not leave this town unless it is absolutely needed. Irys is a friend, but I will not persecute my own tasks to fulfill her dreams. Besides, I know that I will not be a good leader in my current state. Maybe, one day, when the time comes, and I decide to leave, if you still wish for me to lead you, then come find me. For the time being, I will remain here and wait... and recuperate for the right time when I can stand again." 

 

Kiel was strong, but his state of mind at the moment wasn't. He's aware that he can be led by emotions, and if not checked, he would only implode without accomplishing anything.

 

His promise to his parents was the only thing keeping him on the ground. The prospect of seeing their smiles when they return keeps him from wanting to cause destruction.

 

He cannot leave lest he risks becoming an advent of Death.

 

"Then, what am I to do? I grew up to be a servant and a protector of the Family Head; since young, I served her, and now… without her… without anyone to give orders… I know not what I should do."

 

Tak!

 

"...If you really want to, then, I shall take the mantle in name only.”

 

"Re-really!?" the light returned to Luca's eyes.

 

"Do not celebrate; I will still not do anything. As for what you can do…wait here." Kiel abruptly got up and entered his house.

 

He went and rummaged around the house and came out carrying an ax and a book.

 

"That is—" her eyes immediately turned savage seeing the ax in Kiel's hands, "—so you had it, all along."

 

"The one I killed was wearing a mask and burnt his face to ensure we wouldn't be able to trace back anything to someone. So, I tried to see if it had any soul intent on it to see if I could create a Tracing Swallow and trace it back to its creator."

 

"Did you find anything?"

 

Kiel shook his head, "It was wiped of any intent, and I am left with nothing. You can try to find its creator yourself. The Runes that housed the essence of the flames in its core are very defined. Every rune is distinct to its creator, especially with such a flame. If you want to know who created this, either trace the Blacksmith who crafted this ax or go and find who possesses the Azure Serpent Flames. From its divine attribute, it's not something common. If you want to do something, then… find clues to who killed Irys. If, one day, you find out who they are… I will kill them. And burn their souls as incense before Irys’ grave."

 

Though he was but a boy, his words were not something the two adults would take lightly. The words he spoke were not light. He meant every word. Every single intent it held would be acted upon in the near future.

 

He then handed the axE to Luca, “One of them also had flames that smelled like Blood. Look into that as well.”

 

“...I will, Head.”

 

Kiel soon turned to Jiang and handed him a blood-stained book, "This is the very basics and necessary skills you need to become a Spirit Doctor. The words I used might be archaic and outdated, but it should connect to today's era. You are now a True Spirit Realm cultivator; you should live up to 150 to 200 years without a problem. The cultivation I taught you should last until you reach Ascension; by then, you should find a new method of cultivation."

 

"Thank you, Master. I will live up to your expectations."

 

"Don't do that.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Live to fulfill your own wishes. Follow your own dreams. I am but a person you encountered in your life, insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Do not tether your achievements to my view."

 

"I... I understand." Jiang bowed deeply, thanking him for his guidance and wise words.

 

Staring at them, Kiel stepped back into his house, "The two of you can leave now. If you need anything, come find me. The two of you should erase any thoughts of sending me anything; I have enough to survive. I can take care of myself… I bid the two of you good luck."

 

Kiel closed his doors, and as he did so, he could tell that the two kowtowed at his doorsteps before leaving. 

 

He remained without words.

 

His eyes were still without light.

 

That day, he only stepped out of his house at around dusk and found the board clean of any blood.

 

He looked at the horizon and carefully picked the pieces. With his body regaining normal function, Kiel left for somewhere.

 

He arrived at the Jura Family Manor, where dozens of people visited Irys' grave. Kiel hid in the shadows and waited until there was no one present. 

 

Just before midnight… Kiel stepped out of the shadows.

 

He walked past the burnt gates and mansion to the garden behind.

 

Underneath the Silver Willow Tree, there was a lone tombstone.

 

When he closed his eyes, he could still hear her… and when he opened them, he could see Irys frolicking about.

 

He looked up to the moon, but only disappointment was reflected in his eyes.

 

"At your current state, you know full well you cannot open the path," Ouroboros said knowing what Kiel wanted deep in his heart. 

 

"I know…." He answered, "…I am a fool, aren't I?"

 

Kiel stared at the tombstone, his eyes wavering.

 

His breathing… shaking.

 

"I already knew… but I still took it for granted. Knowing I would save her… knowing she would live… I acted foolishly."

 

"Do you miss her?"

 

"… yes." he answered with a pained smile, “...deeply so.”

 

He got on his knees and began carefully setting up the board in front of her grave.

 

One last time… he wished to play a game.

 

The pain of loss haunted him, and as he began another game, he realized another truth to living.

 

Everything was fleeting, and only when it was lost can one truly understand what they once had.

 

Thus, Kiel moved a piece with trembling hands and started another game.

 

Tak!

 

As his piece echoed, a single tear hit the board.

 

“Let’s play… my friend.” Kiel looked forward and saw a girl that was no longer there with him.

 

Tak~

 

Kiel mourned Irys' death with a game. 

Thanks for reading and your patience for reading the story to this part. 

Sorry for my abrupt disappearance.

To support the story, rate, review, comment, or just favorite the chapter.

To those who want to read ahead, join the Patreon if you can.

New Schedule: Monday and Friday

9