22. Stepping into the light
119 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I am still alive, so that would mean no one came to me when I was asleep… there is no follow-up assassination; they were sure of my death."

"But if they don't report soon, they'll send more people."

Kiel's eyes showed a bright light, "I need to hurry."

A single day, that's all that he has to prepare.

Kiel killed his assassins; depending on the distance of their camp, they would send their response.

'I'll escape before sunset. But first, I need to make suitable preparations. I have too limited of a time.' The house cannot be left unprotected.

He wiped his tears and rummaged around the house. Searching for valuables that others might take an interest in, he spread his senses and sought out anything that radiated energy.

Kiel then felt a reaction in his dimensional bangle.

'Oh…' Inside the Dimensional Bangle, he saw four items left by his parents: a letter, a pile of spirit stones, a Soul-Beast, and a pill.

He knew what the spirit stones and Soul-Beast were about, but the letter and pill were a complete mystery to him.

Kiel wanted to open this letter before leaving, but he knew that it might stifle his progress thus left it for later.

"I must not allow myself to drown in my emotions."

"You have grown." The Ouroboros praised.

"Boros, I need your help. I need the remnants.' Kiel abruptly asked.

"It came from us; it will have a limited effect on you, Kiel." the Ouroboros said, confused by his abrupt request.

"I know, it is not for me."

"…I shall make preparation. But make sure to not waste this gift; only seven of it exists; they cannot be recreated."

"You do not need to be pressed for time; only a part of it is necessary. It doesn't matter if it is complete or not."

"I'll prepare one, do not worry. But it cannot be reversed once taken out, so you must keep it hidden, or else a plethora of problems will arise. For now, keep it in the dimensional bangle. Even then, the bangle will not last; the space will be broken."

Kiel nodded and thanked Ouroboros before heading to the storage room that had not been opened for years.

Kiel pushed its door and found nothing but a single crimson spear that hummed in aggression against Kiel.

His parents left it for him, though he did not know why they specifically left the spear.

'Did they see me practice my spear?' he asked himself but didn't really care.

When he found this spear, he didn't pay any attention and left it there in storage to rot.

He actually forgot about the tool because he rarely enters the storage room. This particular storage remained spotless and needed not much attention.

With spirit energy, he confirmed that there were runes etched under the floorboards, 'It is too messy to have been a [Rune Scholar].' He thought to himself.

'That's enough for now.' He said as he shook his head.

Kiel approached the spear, and it responded by sending a wave of intense sharp energy. The floor and walls were all scratched, yet it failed to touch Kiel.

Looking at it with a cold expression, Kiel was now just a step away from it, "Rot or be used? Give me an answer."

The space around him seemed to bend from the thick Spear Energy. Now that he's a cultivator, it was easy to touch the ceiling of the Sixth Step, though it was still too sharp for his body's liking.

The Crimson Spear dared not retaliate after sensing Kiel's pressure. It knew its own energy would be destroyed if it dared go against him. It didn't see how this human gained such potent energy, but that didn't matter, for it was more than worthy of becoming its wielder.

The Spear was tamed by sheer pressure, and as Kiel touched its shaft, he spoke, "If you cooperate, I will give you the chance to be reborn."

The Spear hummed in delight.

'A Spear with an Ego, but cannot speak… it has a soul but it is fractured... this spear is lacking to be a cultivator… can you give me your name?'

"…"

'Bloody Empress? So, you can still answer… you are aggressive but cautious; I like you. I shall remake you in the future.' Kiel took a liking to the spear.

The spear hummed.

"So that is how it feels to speak to weapons. It is quite similar to that of Soul Connection."

"It is, but only those who stepped beyond becoming one with their weapons can hear voices."

"I have decided to turn this spear into a cultivator."

Anyone and anything could become a cultivator: a dog, a monster, a human, a demon, and even a spear can become a cultivator.

With proper guidance and help, anything could become a cultivator if one has the potential.

Kiel once saw a pill create its own body then eat the cultivator who wanted to eat it as an act of vengeance, 'It's not that bizarre.'

Kiel didn't argue, just reminded Ouroboros, "If it doesn't break, upon receiving my intent, then you can."

"Well, if it breaks, that just means it is not worthy." Boros started creating a method while it prepared the remnants, "But more importantly, are you prepared to wield a weapon again? With a proper spear amplifying your energy, you will destroy your body if you touch the third step."

Good quality weapons are sought after not only because they are sharper and more durable but also amplifies the strength of their user.

Kiel had only used a stick or his fingers to summon his spear energy for over fifteen years. Though it is true that to a master, anything could become a tool, one could only imagine if they have a real weapon.

"No, not now. I'll need a substantial amount of time before using a proper spear."

With that, he went and kept his journals and the letters received. Ame's last letter was dated years ago, and it was such a shame that Kiel would not receive any more of them.

But it was also a good thing for Kiel to plan on finding her. Her current state was unknown, but it's clear that she's also being targeted. Ame should also be a target.

'I failed to ask them… emotions really are dangerous when it clouds the mind.' Kiel sighed at this dilemma.

He shook his head off any doubt after keeping the Spear inside the bangle.

Kiel exited the house, different from the day before.

'I need to find good guard dogs to guard our home.' he was ready to go out and search, but his steps stopped as he raised his head and turned his attention due east to see three people heading in his direction.

They soon stood before Kiel.

The two on the side wore leather armor and had swords tied to their waists. The one in the middle had armor made of steel and a sword.

The two was not someone Kiel knew, but the fancy-looking man was the Guard Captain of Lily Town.

The Guard Captain's name was Aish.

Aish was neither strong nor upstanding but someone who liked throwing his weight around trying to prove he's someone worth more than the rest.

Someone who never earned Kiel's respect, only his ire.

"Can I help you with something?" Kiel asked without so much as a care for who he was.

Aish would have already lost his shit if it was anyone else, but it was not a secret that Kiel's sister was someone with unquestionable strength and status. No one would dare touch Kiel, less they wish to be erased from the face of the earth.

"Tch…" though that wouldn't be enough to hide his contempt for the abandoned son, "I need to ask you about something. Fice bodies were found nearby because of a fight between cultivators. The Town Lord asked me to investigate if the one who prevailed went to Town or somewhere else. Did you see what happened?"

Aish's impatience was very much apparent. He didn't like being around Kiel, whose visage and overall elegance were beyond him. Aside from strength, Aish could not stand above Kiel.

The fact that Kiel looked at him with ire and distaste without a hint of respect or envy did not help curve his anger.

'I can't have this ugly mug of his out of my eyes.' Aish thought to himself.

But it wouldn't be so easy.

"I was the one who killed them." Kiel answered without trying to hide anything. He reckoned this would help deter any pillager who would want to lay their hands on his house.

Aish and the other two looked at Kiel with befuddlement before bursting into a peal of wild laughter.

"Gahahaha! Are you trying to be funny? I didn't know you could do that. I don't know if you are aware of it, but the ones killed were all at the peak of True Spirit Realm. Do you think someone like you can do that? Stop wasting our time and just say you don't know."

Their laughter pierced Kiel; he had seen such a scene before.

'This should be the cue I prove them I am not lying….'

Kiel looked at them with a deadpan expression before stretching his hand forward.

Touch…

"What are you doing?"

His finger touched Aish's left shoulder, and while everyone looked at Kiel weirdly and asked him such words, he answered calmly, "Proving myself — Pierce."

“AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!”

Aish felt his body stabbed by a thousand knives without any pretense, and his pained roar echoed across the plains. He fell to his knees, his eyes rolled backward, and his tongue was sticking out as froth gushed out from his mouth.

'That's not good.' Kiel raised his brows, "He's of no use to me if he's unconscious."

The other two were startled and froze before they could open their mouths.

Their world was suddenly engulfed in a sea of blood.

They could feel the abandoned son clutching on their necks from a distance.

"Move, and you die, speak, and you die, disobey, and you die," Kiel warned with a warm smile.

The two stopped while sweating bullets.

A wet patch appeared on their trousers.

Kiel proceeded to touch Aish's forehead with his thumb and woke him up from this slumber.

Aish took a big gasp of air. He wished to scream, but Kiel moved to dislocate his jaw.

"Do not make a commotion."

Aish's eyes showed confusion, but deep inside was pure and unadulterated terror.

"Plsh, jont kil, mi." tears fell as he spoke. His true nature finally appeared: a coward who had no backbone before the strong.

The air around Kiel changed as he remembered how a notorious torturer acted in the past. Emulating that person to himself, he spoke with an even colder tone as he grabbed Aish by the hair...

"I know the town looks down upon me; many laughs at me because I do not care about women or any form of pleasure. They think my family left me because I was useless and offered nothing good to anyone. To some degree, they are correct, but I was never abandoned; I simply chose to retain my mortality.

"You are right to not believe me because, until yesterday, I rejected spirit energy. But believe me when I say I killed those men. They were sent to kill me, and I erased them one by one because I finally had enough annoyance. I pierced their skulls, dug their chests with my hand, and obliterated their bodies because they displeased me. Why? Do you doubt my words? Do you want more proof?"

Kiel touched Aish'a forehead with his index finger as he stared at the arrogant man's eyes.

As he cried like a dog, Kiel finally showed him a smile.

Kiel continued, "It is good that can come to an understanding. Now, I will leave in search of a guard dog for the time being. Before you report to the Town Lord, go lap around town screaming what I did and spread what kind of person I truly am. Make sure to detail what you feel, parade yourselves, make it known to everyone, so they can finally shut their mouths."

He and Aish exchanged gazes, "Also, tell the Town Lord that I will go and collect the Dimensional Bangles my victims had in their possession. If he no longer has it with him, I shall take an arm and a leg as payment."

Kiel walked away after noticing that the three people around him had already wetted themselves, "If I return and hear nothing of what I have done, then I shall take your heads. If the Town Lord asks, tell him I am going to the Silver Forest to collect some pets."

Kiel's echoed words from a distance and terrified the three. They know not what this psychopath's intentions were, but they dared not find out.

The two left first, not even caring about their superior's condition.

Their minds were filled with Kiel's cold tone and eyes. Fear enveloped their senses.

They forgot about Aish altogether.

Using what little time they had, the two spread Kiel's true nature so that they may keep their heads.

But everyone who listened to them reacted as one would expect — they laughed.

They thought the two went insane, but soon, Aish caught up with the first two narrating the same story as the other two.

With Aish's injury as proof, what seemed to be an impossibility grew plausible by the minute. But of course, there were still others who didn't believe.

"Do you mean that person was no idiot? BAH! Do you really believe that?"

"Then do you mean to say that Aish the bastard would come running, tears streaming down his face, piss stains on his pants, and a hole on his shoulder, not enough proof?"

"For all we care, they might have been bewitched!"

"Who knows, but we'll see if their words were true or not once the boy goes to meet with the Town Lord. Everyone is already waiting for him; I'm going to the Town Lord's Manor; I'll wait there like the others. Do you wanna go?"

"Of course, I do!"

Conversations like this were regular that day; everyone, both young and old, men or women, gathered around the Town Lord's Manor.

[Inside Town Lord's Office.]

The Town Lord was devoid of a smile. In front of him were the three sorry lots that met Kiel.

Aish's bleeding had stopped, but his tears had not.

The Town Lord could see the gathering of people who wish to see what's about to unfold from the windows.

The Town Lord smiled, "Would you look at this wonderful mess. Who would have thought that something as glorious as this would happen? People expect their Lord to humiliate himself by bowing before a young man. Are you people happy to see this? You must be because you were the ones who advertised it!"

The table adjacent to him broke in half in a single hit.

The three guards kowtowing on the floor trembled upon hearing the wreckage. They all raised their heads...

"It's all true, my Lord; we are not lying. That bas… that man, he's not human."

"So, you think someone with his skills and talent that boy lived without cultivation for years despite having the ability to do so? If it was an old Sage pretending to be a young man searching for answers, that, I might believe, but, that boy? Let's think about it; yes, he might have chosen not to cultivate for years, despite him having heaven-defying talent without anyone noticing to the point he was abandoned by his parents. Do you think someone like him can kill those five!? If that's true, I should abandon my role as the Town Lord and hand it to him because even I would not dream of fighting such people! Don't you think so too!?"

The Town Lord took in a deep breath to ask the people before him, "Do you think that's possible!? Do you even have a functioning brain!? Sigh, do you even know what level of cultivation he is in currently?"

"…Martial Master, he was a—"

BAM!

Aish was pinned on the wall as the Town Lord grabbed him by the neck, "MARTIAL MASTER! THERE! You have your bloody answer! He's only a bloody Martial Master! Do you think someone like him can do such things!?! Why couldn't have you seen through it and had to drag my reputation to the ground with your nonsense!?"

Whether it be the underground society or the one in the light, respect takes center stage in terms of currency.

To be respected was to have control; to be humiliated was to be a dog. One cannot become a True Leader without the respect of the people.

One must first hold the heart and mind to keep the reigns.

This world is ruled by the truly strong; the ones who could become Leaders and establish powers were the ones who get respected, not the ones who get trampled over.

'After I erased the Vollunds, now someone else is trying to rock my position with lies? Tch, if only it was someone else!' the Town Lord wished that the one messing with him was some ordinary person who had too much free time.

Sadly, it was the twin brother of the genius that rose in the ranks of the Celestial Phoenix Mountain.

Ame had created legends that spread throughout the lands and were someone he shouldn't dream of messing with.

In short, Kiel was not someone he could touch. Even if he was abandoned, the fact that he's related to Ame was enough deterrent to anyone stupid enough to antagonize Kiel.

But the Town Lord was now put in a precarious situation where he could not do anything against him.

The Town Lord is a kind but ferocious figure. If not, then he wouldn't have been capable of obliterating the Vollund Family without a second thought.

It would be logical of him to do what Kiel asked of him and give him what he claimed to be his, the dimensional bangles that had been retrieved from the corpses near the Town.

He would avoid any possible conflict with Ame if he did just that.

However, he had already seen its content he had no plans of giving them back.

'There were Stellar Stones and top-notched Breathing Techniques inside, if I can learn them, I'll be able to reach the seventh level… I can't possibly give it to him.'

The Town Lord could have just taken the Breathing Techniques, but the Stellar Stones and its other contents were also treasures he couldn't have possibly hoped to have. All of them were too valuable to give away.

This was now his, and he would not say otherwise. If he needed to, Kiel would have to be "convinced".

'I am not going to give it away.' Having touched the borders of greatness, the Town Lord failed to discern what was logical and not.

Holding onto the groaning Aish, he heard the whimper of the other two. He turned to look at the pitiful Aish, and with a sigh, he finally regained a semblance of calmness, "You two, bring the Guard Captain to the Healing Ward, asks for a pill to help him with his wounds."

"…" they were too scared to even answer.

"MOVE!" The Town Lord roared and the two quickly scuttled out of the room with Aish.

The Town Lord sat on his chair and made a deep sigh; he rummaged around his clothes and tightly held the two dimensional bangles.

Grasping onto it as tightly as he could, he was determined to keep it for himself.

"I shall not bend." He was serious with his words.

His words left his mouth, and he began to wait.

Is this greed or not?

Read Volume ending early at Patreon

 

Thanks for reading :) Hope you enjoy i

 

If you want to support this author and read ahead, Patreon have Chapters A week ahead (Vol. 2 is already finished)

Schedule: Monday and Friday

 

Rate 5, Review, and Favorite to support the story,

7