23. Departure
281 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

High Noon

[Silver Forest]

The Silver Forest was not made of glamorous trees.

It was not named after its scenery.

In fact, it was not even recognized by anyone other than the locals of the Four Western Minor Towns under the Celestial Phoenix Mountain.

But still, it was called as such because of its King, the Silver Striped Tiger, whose cultivation level stands at the peak of True Spirit Realm.

It was near ascending its Demonic Core to a Demonic Bead and feared many.

It controlled a Forest that spans five hundred Kilometers; it was a King in its own right. Its claws could break swords as if they were twigs, it could summon a roar so loud that it could petrify the bravest man, and its jaws were strong enough to crush boulders.

Even the Celestial Phoenix Mountain's Core Disciples does not approach it in fear of facing the beast.

It had no contest, yet it now stood apprehensive before a young man whose eyes were no better than a simple unfeeling pair of black abysses.

"How peculiar of you, Spirit Devourer. You marched into my Forest with bated breath and killed every being who wished to contest with your strength just to find a reason and summon me? What is it that you want from this King?"

"I want someone to watch my doors until I return."

The beast whose body towered for five meters laughed. Its black fur, lined with silver, heaved up and down.

"GAHAHAHA! You speak as if it would be my pleasure to serve you." The Tiger moved closer to Kiel; its eyes were bigger than Kiel's head. The beast growled as its eyes revolved and turned red, "Do you really think I'll obey a [Spirit Devourer]? Your kind hunts mine, extract their souls and destroy the barriers the world imposed on Spirit Devourers, you arrogant beasts call yourselves the heaven's greatest creation to rule this world, yet none of you can't go beyond without our help. I don't obey such beings. What right do you have to command me? Who do you think you are?"

The being growled in anger, but Kiel did not react other than raising his hands. But the moment Kiel looked it in the eyes, the tiger's Spirit Energy emerged with a bush behind it. Despite everything the beast's show of bravado, it now looked at Kiel with apprehension and fear.

Kiel looked at the beast as he brought out a stick from his dimensional bangle; walking towards the beast, he was without a smile.

"You ask of me who I am with so much pride, yet you jump the moment you meet my eyes. I see that you are smart and listen to the instincts you have been given; I see now that you are worthy to obey me.

"Outside my family, friend, and pet, you would be the first one who I shall recognize. Now, I will give you my answer about why you should obey my commands.

"Tiger, I didn't really want to go back to this world because I came to terms that I am not actually suited to step into the worlds of cultivators. Do you want to know a secret? I once stood at the peak of my time, and I am the reason this universe exists.

"In a way, I am the rightful ruler of this reality, and your entire being is worth less than the dirt on my nails. That is what I wish to say, but in the end, I rejected that role, so I can only offer you one thing—"

Kiel stopped his steps and now stood before the Tiger. His eyes wandered to the side and into the bush behind the beast. The Tiger noticed this and immediately swung its claws with a roar!

"Don't you dare!"

Kiel responded by waving a stick in his hand. The stick and the Tiger collided; the claw survived, but the stick disintegrated.

The Tiger now got the advantage, but it didn't try to go any further.

Kiel's eyes were already different; the air changed, and fighting intent so thick the Tiger not fathom filled the air.

A warning from the [Spirit Devourer].

"— I do not wish to use a weapon as it had been a while since I used it for actual combat. I will kill you if you further try anything else."

The Tiger kept its claws.

"That is wise of you to do. Now, where was I? Yes, I was just about to tell you what I can give you. It is the right to live."

The Tiger sneered at his words, "The right to live? Do you think I am deprived of that? I am the King of this forest where no one can match my strength! Your kind cannot touch me; they avoid my territory in fear of meeting me. I need no one to give me the permission to live!"

Kiel looked at the Tiger as if it was a fool, "The Celestial Phoenix Mountain is a Minor Hegemon led by an Ascended. They could erase you with a wave of their hands, but it does not bother you because they wish you to grow and be ripe for harvest. You treat yourself as a King, but all you are is a cattle waiting for slaughter."

The Tiger growled as the showers of insults poured.

"Come with me and become my guard dog; if you do so, then no one will dare think of ever touching you — or your cubs."

The Tiger still wasn't convinced, "What makes you think that the Celestial Phoenix Mountain is bidding their time and what of my children?"

"Anyone with half the brain knows they can kill you and turn you into resources; it is only natural to think that they are fattening you with time. They will most likely turn your children into pets after killing you. " Kiel answered.

The Tiger was hesitant to speak, but in the end, it asked, "…how can you guarantee that? If this Minor Hegemon you speak of was so strong, how can you deter them? How can your name alone be enough?"

"Because if the Celestial Phoenix Mountain do that, all of them will die. My Sister used to be a part of them, and she's someone beyond their capabilities. They will not dare touch anyone I take under my wings... and I will kill them all if they try anything else. But, if you still want to be convinced... I will play with you for two minutes."

Kiel brought out the spear despite his previous words, 'I first need to instill fear before making an offer.'

Kiel allowed his killing intent to run wild. The entire Forest's beast quivered from fear and ran away.

But, just a whiff of Kiel's malicious intent was enough to let the Tiger know that he was no King but a frog trapped in a well.

"Can you give me your word that no harm will come to my children?"

The Tiger abandoned the idea of fighting Kiel, but it was still worried about its tiger cubs.

Kiel finally showed it a smile, "If you decided to guard my doors, you would not need to fight the strong, only petty thief. If you encounter anyone stronger than you, I encourage you to comply with their requests, and if you follow me, I will ensure to grant your cubs the power to hunt Dragons and Phoenixes."

Kiel showed the Tiger a gem no bigger than a nail with a flick of his wrist.

Three tiger cubs felt the change and peeked from inside the bush to see what it was that appeared. Their eyes shone as they saw the gem floating right before them.

"I will give you the Chances to reach the ranks that of which that could match the Primordials. So, Tiger, what say you? Will you reject your children this chance?"

"This... I shall follow." The Tiger again bowed to Kiel with more sincerity than before.

The Tiger just saw the start of all creation.

It could not refuse Kiel's offer.

===

The Town Lord gained confidence with every passing minute, thinking Kiel had died.

With every hour, he was celebrating with a laugh.

But when the skies bled and the sun was about to hide, hurried steps could be heard coming to his room.

The heavy doors opened with a bang.

The Guards' second-in-command came rushing, wheezing, trying to catch his breath.

"My Lord, please, help us!" he screamed for help.

The Town Lord rose from his seat and walked towards the Vice-Captain, "Calm down and tell me what's happening!"

The Vice-Captain took a deep breath, "The King of Silver Forest has shown its head... it's come to destroy us!"

No words were needed to be uttered, for the Town Lord already stood up to prepare for the worst.

"Tell the people of the Eastern Gate to retreat. Gather the guards; we shall be the ones to stand on guard and protect the Town!"

"What of Captain Aish?" The Vice-Captain asked.

"… He's incapacitated, he's speaking nonsensical things, he might become a liability than anything else. Do not worry about anything else; we are to protect the citizens!"

"YES, My Lord!"

The Town Lord moved, his steps faster than usual and his heart beating as if there's a stampede in his heart.

He opened the desk drawer to his right and brought out a single black circular plaque with two hundred runes etched on its surface.

The runes glowed red and wailed as if they wished to escape its confines. The Town Lord exited his room, "Let's go!" he said to the guards awaiting his orders.

The Town Lord moved across the streets from the rooftops to not cause any more commotion down on the busy streets. Heading to the Town's Eastern Gate, the Town Lord saw a hundred guards cowering in fear while staring at the approaching beast.

The Town Lord raised his head and saw the silver luster of the Tiger underneath the glow of the setting sun. His heartbeat raised, but as he landed on the ground, he pushed his fear at the back of his mind, "Do not falter! I am here with you!"

The Town Lord unsheathed the blade on his waist and raised it over his head. His shout carried heart and volume; his desire to protect this land surfaced for everyone to hear.

"THE TOWN LORD IS WITH US!" A brave soul echoed his words to the others, granting them courage.

The Town Lord smiled at this sight and then turned to look back to the beast. The plaque in his hands was about to activate when he noticed something out of place.

A figure was walking close to the Tiger as if he was taking a stroll.

The first thought he had was if someone managed to tame the beast of the Silver Forest.

"My Lord, someone is with the Tiger!" a loud voice announced for others to hear.

Hearing this made the others think that this might be survivable. However, they failed to see the Town Lord's following reaction.

"Ho-how is this possible?" He stuttered as he asked. Besides the Tiger was the idiotic Kiel, whose expression remained the same as always — uninterested.

The others also saw him the closer he approached them, and after a few minutes, the guards failed to control their emotions seeing Kiel standing in front of the Tiger, leading it as if it was its master.

Soon, Kiel stood before the Town Lord while the battle-readied guards watched with trembling knees.

They looked at Kiel in disbelief but remembering the jeers they once shouted at him, their mouths soon became ajar as fear of retribution settled in their hearts.

They remained silent, wishing Kiel wouldn't remember them.

Thankfully, Kiel didn't care about them and simply faced the Town Lord, to which he asked, "Did the guard captain do what I told him to do? If so, you know what I want."

The Town Lord heard Kiel's words, and his eyes twitched as his grasps on the plaque tightened.

Kiel took notice of this and then spoke lightly, "Roar."

A simple command was given, and the Tiger did what was told!

The beast let out an earth-shattering roar, and the ground quickly crumbled. The Town Lord staggered, and the guards all fell on their behinds, though some hanged on, they still soon fell to their knees.

The roar echoed throughout the Town; this caused the people hiding in the underground shelters to tremble in fear.

"That is a warning, now, give me what is rightfully mine… if you do not, then I will take your limbs, cripple your cultivation, and feed you your own genitals."

This is not a bluff.

No one really knew what kind of person Kiel was; he rarely interacted with people and kept to himself.

He rejected women and booze and had been under the scrutiny of the town's people for so long. Unfeeling and abandoned, that's who he was.

But at this moment, the Town Lord only saw an invincible being, and with his simple words, the greed got replaced by fear.

"He-Here are the dimensional bangles." The Town Lord presented two bangles to Kiel.

Remembering the encounter, Kiel recognized them.

He accepted them and no longer paid the Town Lord any attention. Walking past the deflated Town Lord, Kiel threw him a book found inside the Dimensional Bangles.

The Town Lord took noticed and picked up the book. His hands trembled, seeing that it was the Breathing Technique he so desired.

Before the Town Lord could even say anything, Kiel's words rang, "Keep it, I have no need for such a thing. Share it with promising youths so that this town could prosper."

"Tha-Thank you!"

Kiel entered the Town with its Lord bowing his head before his magnanimity.

When Kiel returned to his home, he gave the Tiger five commands:

First: kill anyone who wishes to tarnish and plunder his home.

Second: do not destroy the town, for the Town Lord would most likely protect his home in exchange for the Breathing Technique.

Third: do not risk their lives to protect his home; if they cannot defend it, then leave and search for Kiel to report as quickly as they can.

Fourth: the three cubs are to find Kiel once they reach the age of fifteen. However, if they can create a human body even earlier, they can go anytime.

Fifth: Should the Father Silver Striped Father create a human body, he will replace his post and search for Kiel.

These commands would be etched in the heart of the Silver Striped Tiger.

"If I am to obey these commands, will you truly give us the gem?"

"I already chose to let you live, and I have no plans of abandoning my words. I have shown you the treasure that I have promised; there is no need to reject you for its possession. Do what you are told, and you will be rewarded. Wait, I forgot something, I have a pet Ox, and at the moment, she is out, fighting Spirit Beasts. When she returns, inform her of what I said… do not kill her."

Anyone would merely follow these commands with a half-hearted approach, but Kiel knew these Tigers would not do such a thing.

Though it was partly through threats and manipulation using fear, there were other reasons why they would not betray him — three reasons, in fact.

An altered spirit devouring method inspired by the [Seven Star Void Breathing] which Kiel created from what remained of the past in his free time.

He also gave them fighting techniques tailored to a four-legged beast.

And a promise that he will give the Tigers a much more fruitful future than what could be. He promised the Father of the Tigers a chance for his Children's Rebirth.

This chance to change their destiny that which their bloodline dictated, was what brought them to his side. As for whether they believed his claims or not, Kiel only showed them a substance that could only be found in his possession.

The treasure he had could be argued as the greatest treasure in this universe.

It was something that could not be obtained outside of his hands, after all.

But one might question what this treasure may be. If its value was just like how it's described, why promise it to a beast of a Silver Striped Tiger's caliber?

Why not use it to entice something or someone stronger?

Just like before, the answer is simple: these Tigers are [ordinary].

It was not because of eccentricity or because Kiel felt like it.

No, it was because this would create a better outcome for him.

A King does not appreciate a chest full of gold because he already has an entire treasury.

But a peasant would risk their lives in exchange for five pieces of such luxury.

The Tigers would appreciate this gift more than anyone else. Though he did say he did not wish to chain them, Kiel managed to do more than chain them with this.

He nailed them to his side with a promise of grandeur with a simple glimpse of his existence's depths as proof of his claims.

Kiel restrained them using an invisible chain known as gratitude, desire, and most important of all, terror.

Kiel looked at the setting sun one last time from his home and finally decided to leave.

He noticed that the Town's People were actually in the plains as they tried to catch a glimpse of him.

Kiel noticed this and brought out his spear.

He drew out the Third Level Master Spear Energy and then cleaved the earth, leaving a deep gash on the ground.

The people who saw what he had done got scared.

Kiel's voice then echoed, "I leave my home in search of my Sister who went to find greatness! My house is guarded by the mighty Silver Striped Tiger, and anyone who wishes to pillage it shall die by their fangs and claws!"

This was his message to the village, but it was different for the Tigers, "I leave my home to you."

"Yes, my Lord."

"…Do not call me Lord, my name is Kiel, and I deem you worthy to speak of my name."

"I understand, Lord Kiel."

"…seek me out once the conditions are fulfilled, I will then show you the greatest mysteries of this World."

"But you have not said where you will be going; how will we seek you out?"

"Do not worry, for my name shall echo in your ears soon enough. You will know where to search for me."

The people of the Town and the Tigers watched Kiel walk westward.

It was a beautiful sight, and it would be told how this young man's journey started for many generations to come.

'This should lead anyone searching for me astray.' He thought to himself before changing direction for the north.

He also went the other way after leaving the people's line of sight.

Kiel decided he would disappear.

Only when he's ready would he show his shadow to them.

He does not care what happens; he has his own goals from here on.

Kiel decided to reclaim the hold of his life.

Vol 2. End

This is the end of Volume 2.

 

Thank you for reading this story up till this point. There are not that many readers, but I appreciate you all giving it a try. Also, we still have no review for the story so it would be much appreciated if some of you can give it a review (preferably good reviews.)

 

Supporting the story with comments even if they are just stickers is something I love seeing.

 

The story will resume a on the second Monday of march. I will post the chapter on Patreon next week, however.

6