Vol. 3 24. Rune Scholar
134 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moon was as beautiful as a million shining gems, yet under its beauty was tarnished land drenched in blood by thousands of lost souls.

 

In some beautiful garden, blood flowed without end. Servants watched in horror, but none moved, for they were all frozen in fear.

 

A man was on his knees with fear apparent in his eyes. His pants were wet as he pleaded with the woman for mercy.

 

The woman had long black hair that stretched down just below her waist, it was not tied, yet it stayed where it was meant to be. Her eyes observed the tears flowing out of the people in front of her; she was neither sneering nor laughing at his plight; she simply watched him for the sake of observation.

 

In front of her was a floating purple Zither. Her fingers glided just above its strings.

 

"Mercy, please, I do not know what is happening. My Father orchestrated this, he wanted me for, wait, no, please, don't—"

 

The man pleaded, but the lady touched the string—

 

At the sight of her actions, the young man clawed the ground trying to get away, but even then, his fate was the same as the others ""No, no,

noOOOOOOOOOOO!""

 

An ensemble formed with the hum from the Zither and the man's cries.

 

It was a grotesque ending to a performance.

 

The lady turned to the servants.

 

They cowered to be under her sight. They all wept and prayed to the Deities for a miracle. 

 

And in an unexpected turn, the lady decided to leave.

 

The Zither floated to her embrace as she left barefooted.

 

The lady exited the premises with her blood-stained soles causing a pitter-patter echo from a distance.

 

A trail of blood formed as a young woman's steps continued. With a passive expression, she resumed her journey.

 

"Soon, I will meet you, Kiel." with a cold tone, she whispered unto the dim moon.

 

Her footsteps soon resumed.

 

Her figure soon disappeared.

 

===

 

"The Dragon-Soaring Sect's destruction and its leader's death has been confirmed. It appears Lord Saber really was going to hunt for the perpetrator. I guess old Liu was not speaking crazily again after all."

 

"Is that really true?"

 

"If it isn't, then the Blood Dragon Sect would have tried to cover it or correct rumors. But as there were too many witnesses involved, they are doing their best to find the perpetrator and save face."

 

"But who could have done such a thing?"

 

"Who knows? But everyone from the Tiger Flower Town said that it was a woman with a purple Zither whose beauty is out of this world... They say that her cold gaze can make even the toughest of men feel weak to the knees."

 

"Where did you even hear that?"

 

"My brother, his lover, is a maid sent to the Dragon-Soaring Sect three months ago seeking employment through Lord Saber's recommendation. Lord Saber sent her there because they needed help and to give her a chance for better pay, but the lass not only received no compensation for her troubles, but she even got traumatized by the slaughter."

 

"Is that why Tarpio went to the Tiger Flower Town two weeks ago?"

 

"Yeah, the poor lass was traumatized. Tarpio picked her up and is now taking care of her while tending to the Silver Inn. Aiya, the poor lass, often experiences night terrors. Screaming for mercy, to be spared."

  

In front of a Tavern was a young man wearing a scholar's blue robe seated on one of the outside tables. He minded his business, reading and writing on paper or so it would seem, but the truth was, he's listening to the two drinking men nearby.

 

'Was another Assassin sent to find me?'  

 

This young Scholar was none-other than Kiel. He was in the middle of his journey to find his sister and avenge his parents. 

 

He originally planned on hiding himself but decided to just hide in plain sight. 

 

He always catches the attention of others, so he changed into a deep blue Scholar's Robes from the last Town and now continued his journey after deciding it was more convenient. 

 

Though, he did notice he attracted a lot of attention from women.

 

"Sir, here are your orders." A young lady came to him and set a plate full of dumplings on Kiel's table.

 

"Thank you." Kiel smiled, gathering even more attention from women who mysteriously always passed by, ''This road is really popular to women, I see. Is there a boutique nearby?'' Kiel kept the question to himself.

 

Kiel proceeded to eat dumplings, but his free hands didn't stop moving. He carefully wrote runes while considering what formation he could create using a particular rune as the center.

 

'My runes still work. The [Spirit Connection] still exists, so I do not have to worry about creating [Manifestations]. It is usable in combat.'

 

Out of curiosity, the young lady looked over Kiel's shoulder and saw the symbols; she tilted her head as she failed to make out any of them. Noticing her prying eyes, Kiel turned to her and asked, "Do you have a question, young lady?"

 

"…ah, no, my apologies, for I had done something so disrespectful."

 

Kiel shook his head, "Do not be sorry, young one. If you have questions, I see it as my obligation to enlighten anyone who has questions for me." he then laughed.

 

The young lady saw his bright smile and was enamored; that pleasant smile of his managed to put her at ease, so she asked, "The symbols, I was wondering about the symbols that you wrote. Are they words from another region?"

 

Kiel moved the symbol he drew to the side so the young lady would be able to see it,

 

"You can say that it is a language of its own, but it is not home to

any particular region as these symbols are used by cultivators who walk the path of [Spirit Creation] or [Spirit Formation], as for its name, it is referred to as [Runes]."

 

"Runes, that sounds familiar… oh, you mean that wavy lines [Rune Scholars] study… wait, does that mean sir customer is an esteemed Rune Scholar!? Dear me, please forgive me for being so blasphemous as to waste your time."

 

Kiel watched the young lady lower her head to apologize. 

 

The people around them all turned their attention to him; they too did not expect Kiel to be what he claimed himself to be. Even the two drinkers stopped their conversation to observe Kiel. Murmurs even started.

 

Taking note of this, Kiel momentarily squinted his eyes before returning to a simple gaze, "Please, do not lower your head. Being a Rune Scholar is nothing special; please lift your head. As I said, it is my job to enlighten others. I find it fulfilling to see someone else take an interest in my field of study."

 

"Tha-thank you for your compassion." The young lady blushed, seeing Kiel's wonderful smile.

 

'So, Rune Scholars are viewed with much higher esteem than before. Are they rarer now? Is it because it is now harder for them to grasp the Spirit Energy now that there is no longer a Spirit World?'

 

Kiel then noticed the young lady fidgeting about. She was uncomfortable with the situation.

 

While Kiel was in deep thought, 'But considering her reaction, it could also mean she's afraid of me... are we also seen in a bad light? There is no repulsion, so I supposed I am in the clear? I need to tread lightly.'

 

"Sigh*... young lady, now that I have answered your question, why not return the favor by telling me about this Dragon-Soaring Sect and the incident that happened last night. I am quite interested in it."

 

"Ah, ye-yes, sir, it would be my pleasure." The young lady's face visually brightened.

 

"The Dragon-Soaring Sect is a power situated in Tiger Flower Town that's southwest of our Rose Town. The Sect is the Hegemon controlling the Town; its Sect Master is the Town Lord and is the brother of our very own Dragon Blood Sect's Leader.

 

"Two weeks ago, news of his brother's death arrived two weeks ago and was just confirmed. A mysterious lady killed every man in the Sect; she left soon after and is said to be heading to Lily Town for some reason, so Lord Saber brought his men out to search for the woman and seek vengeance for his kin. They left a week ago, so it's not as chaotic now..."

 

Kiel nodded his head, "I see; that is enlightening. Thank you for informing me, ah, I must now take my leave, but can I make another order to leave?"

 

"Ah, yes, of course." This exchange lightened up the young lady's heart before placing his order.

 

He silently processed all the information he had gathered. He left Lily Town a week ago and a half ago, then arrived here earlier today. He did not encounter anyone because he avoided the main road, so he was clear.

 

''I managed to wipe my tracks, so I doubt she'll be able to find me… the Tigers should be smart enough to run if they need to.''

 

In deep thought, Kiel's façade showed cracks as his smile vanished into thin air. A cold air formed around him as he failed to control his face.

 

'But I still have to think of a method to escape and even kill such people... I need to be really thorough with circumstantial events. I am no longer the strongest. My constitution is irregularly strong, but I know that many new mutations and gifts will appear in this reality. Oddities were never seen before, similar to how Ame managed to slip from the Astral Path and reincarnate without having her memories erased. Facing and finding them might be rare, but it is not impossible.'

 

Kiel's eyes grew more insidious by the second; traps, schemes, and dirty tactics, everything that could be used against other beings, entered his mind. His gaze was laced with the most potent of all venom, killing intent.

 

"Bastard, do you have something to say!? Who are you to glare at me like that!?"

 

The bright and kind scholar act momentarily disappeared, but Kiel was woken up by an angry shout.

 

His eyes returned to being gentle as he caught sight of the one who called out to him. It was a young man whose clothing made him seem one who walked the life of a wealthy noble.

 

By his side seemed to be an adviser of sorts, a person pursuing his studies. It was a young man wearing a scholar's robes, and behind them were two guards around Half-Step True Spirit Cultivators.

 

On his waist was a sword, but his foothold was flimsy. Kiel made a quick

calculation in his head and deemed him killable, and that goes for the guards hiding in the shadows.

 

However, Kiel stood up with elegance instead of making trouble for himself. He cupped his hands and apologized, "I would like to seek for forgiveness, as a Rune Scholar, it is of great shame that I show such a face, but as I have received enlightenment, I pursued it and unknowingly showed such offensive sigh to this Young Noble without me noticing."

 

The Young Noble snorted at Kiel; he wanted to take a step forward and say something clearly he was not the brightest, but then, the fellow next to the young man tapped his shoulder. The adviser moved close to the young noble's ears, and then, the arrogance disappeared, replaced by a face of terror and anxiety.

 

The Young Noble once more turned to Kiel, his expression mellower than before, "Haha, I see, it was nothing but a misunderstanding." The young noble apologized as well.

 

The Young Noble grew nervous and began sweating profusely. 

 

"Honorable Rune Scholar, my name is Iren. You and I walk a similar path of runes, and so, in my Young Master Talio's place, I offer my deepest apologies for he has been on edge since his father, Lord Saber, had just left to avenge his brother. To make amends for this misunderstanding, would you like to eat with us for lunch." The Scholar stepped up, assisting the flustered Young Noble. The Scholar had a smile on his face. Cupping his fist with his palms, he bowed.

 

Kiel looked at Iren; his eyes told him he truly wanted to make amends with what he had done. Kiel, however, lowered his head, "It is a shame, but I have just eaten and already placed an order to go. I should be leaving this Town soon, but thank you for the offer. Furthermore, I was in the wrong as well. Letting such a sight be shown to others is as shameful to a Scholar as it is to a swordsman breaking his sword."

 

"…I see, that is indeed a shame, please, do take care on your way. There's trouble brewing in our region, after all." Iren turned to leave but decided to stop, "Oh, I would like to ask if sir Rune Scholar would be going to the [Seven Stars Examination] and get his license?"

 

The corner of Kiel'sKiel's eyes twitched, but he made sure not to comment on his reactions too much, "I have no plans to head there as I wish to meet with a student of mine before the end of the year."

 

"Is that so, well I just wish our path may intersect once again.""

 

"I too hope so as well." Kiel agreed and walked away. Iren, together with the Young Noble, left with a crooked smile. Kiel observed them and then noticed the number of people looking at him weirdly. They all had smiles, but he didn't know why.

 

Were they judging him for not taking a stance in what he had done? Were they staring at him with contempt because he apologized and avoided trouble instead of coming down to the opposition's level and killing everything that breathes?

 

His parents taught him better.

 

Kiel did not care, for he was in the wrong. 

 

But their reaction was very much well understood.

 

'I failed to control myself again... having emotions is making it hard to control my killing intent. But that Young Scholar managed to control the situation quite well, considering the scent of Spiritual Ink on him, he must be a low-skilled Rune Scholar. It is good to know that Rune Scholars are not detestable people. Which explains the reverence in the Young lady's Eyes.'

 

Kiel was glad he did not have to fear being a Rune Scholar as a front.

 

Kiel reviewed his Runes until his dumplings arrived, returning to his seat, and he left after thanking the young lady.

 

His steps were silent and didn't feel natural. He was striking to the eyes, but he left no impression whatsoever. When Kiel left for the nearby Bamboo Forest, barely anyone could notice him.

 

'I need to get the Key and Doors ready... hmm?'

 

Kiel was just about to enter the forest calmly, but then, his eyes turned sharp, and he stopped.

'I am being followed.' Trouble was already upon him.

Thanks for reading

5