Chapter 3
442 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3

<So… what am I supposed to do Dento? catch mice?> I say, having no idea how to proceed forward.
<You could, but they don’t give much life force, I would suggest going back to your Shrine Fortress, you were supposedly fighting there, there might be some of your power still sealed there> Dento says to me.
<Shrine!? I have a shrine!? also, sealed? how can it be sealed if I’m here? even if the original inhabitant of this body was the one that was sealed, how could it be in my body right now?> I bombard him with questions while I’m thinking: This is not helping… the questions are just piling on, and it’s just getting more confusing.

Dento answers: <Well look, I really don’t know what to tell you, she probably did some magical shenanigans to save herself, but what I can tell you is that magical creatures are not bound by their body, killing a magical creature most times is not as easy as just stabbing them in the heart, or chopping their head off, a creature like you can assume any form they want when they get enough power, you are gonna have to learn by yourself. And for the shrine business? She liked to be worshiped, magical foxes generally do, they commonly live in castles or shrines dedicated to them, since draining a creature's life energy when they willingly present themselves to you is better than going hunting, and draws much less ire.>
I sigh not feeling like piling on more questions and confusion, this shrine fortress seems to be my home, and if getting there can give me some answers, or even just a place to be safe in, I’ll be happy.

<How far is this shrine?> I say sounding defeated

<Should be about a day of marching, so if we stop talking and move out right now and you run we can get there by tomorrow morning, as it’s already past midday. you can follow me if you are done asking questions.>

I nod and start following the floating wisp at a steady march, no point in running. After a few minutes though I can’t stop myself from asking more questions as I march: <Is there anything I should watch out for while I’m following you?>.

Dento sighs and answers: <As I said anything bigger than you is a threat to you right now, you have no power and consequently no magic, my suggestion is, train your nose, smell everything, and if something smells like danger it's probably worth staying clear of it. Train your senses always, or you’ll end like me, challenging something way out of your league. It’s gonna get better when you gain more power as you can augment your senses with magic, but you can’t always count on magic, so eyes and ears open, and nose to ground>.

To be honest, this was the first thing that made sense since I awoke, and so I concentrate on my senses, taking in the smell of trees and grass, but also of the animals, making mental notes of animals I see and how they smell. Sadly except for differently colored birds and mice, it's most of what I see due to my stature, but  I guess that starting small and getting used to my fox instincts and senses couldn’t hurt anyways, and it also gives me something to do in this boring and uneventful march through tall grass, bushes, and trees.

13