Chapter 2 – A boss?
392 2 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A feeling of draining comes over him as strange incantations come out of his mouth, this lasts for several verses, which happen in a blink of an eye.

 

 

His mouth stops moving as he feels like passing out, a wave of fatigue washes over his body but he can see a ball of light appear before him.

 

 

He feels connected to this ball of light when a screen appears before him.

 

 

[Guardian Spirit, Level 1, Form: Mist, Strength: 10, Agility: 10, Vitality: 10, Stamina 10/10, Spirit: 10, Endurance 10, Skills: Object transformation.]

 

 

The ball of light has transformed into what seems like a strange shimmer of light. It looks spooky with how it's almost incorporeal. He looks at it when it seems to sense Kaleb's intent, it covers the creature's body in a shimmer of light. The flesh on it seems to be decaying at a visible rate leaving only the skeleton behind, it has been smashed up but as the mist integrates with the bones it twitches.

 

 

The skeleton reforms as the bones get remolded into a different form, it looks quite strange, but this is just the effects of the object transformation skill. It's able to manipulate, transform and transfigure nearly any item. It is just restricted to a single type of item at a time. Kaleb starts thinking about what sort of structure would be good for it instead of a skeleton when it stands up.

 

 

It looks quite menacing with its glowing red eyes, it has somehow got a black cape over its back as it stands up tall.

 

 

Kaleb stands up after sticking to the floor, the blood has dried as he was sitting there watching what had happened. The skeleton stands there proud while Kaleb gives it a mental command. It has retained the nails of the creature that attacked him, it punches the wall. It takes no effort to punch through solid concrete. Kaleb feels that he could do this too, but it'd hurt his knuckles.

 

 

The skeleton stops moving as he looks at the remaining item, a single coin. It has two colors with a number 5 in the middle.

 

 

[5 Survival Coins]

 

 

He inspects the coins unsure of what they do, it's gold in the middle with a black border.

 

 

*stomp stomp stomp*

 

 

The skeleton runs out of the room and stabs its claws through the neck of the twitching woman's body on the ground. Kaleb walks over to observe her, she has signs of being like the creature that attacked him.

 

 

"Uhh is this like zombie rules? Do I get turned if I scratched or bitten?" Kaleb asks aloud.

 

 

The skeleton pulls its hand out from the body as its bones look healthier and thicker, it's holding a couple of bones which it then shakes off flicking the entrails onto the wall. It's holding a large axe made from the rib cage and a couple of extra bones from the corpse.

 

 

"AHHHHHH!"

 

 

"RAHH!"

 

 

The distant sounds of screaming and the creatures or zombies attacking people hits his ears, he feels tempted to rush out and help people, but he steps back into his room shutting the door. He quickly checks his laptop; he has several messages waiting from his friends and family, but he can't connect to the internet anymore. He quickly closes it and collects his items into a backpack with his important clothes.

 

 

This is going to be like a survival situation so he quickly gathers all the water he can from the room, the overpriced food, and leftovers from dinner in the fridge will have to do as he puts it all into his suitcase. He secures his load just in time for the alarms to go off.

 

 

The screeching sound followed by bells everywhere, it's deafening as flashing lights come on.

 

 

An announcement comes over the speakers that he cannot understand, followed by a short English sentence.

 

 

"Run, Zombies!"

 

 

"RAHH" is the final sound on the speaker system before it's replaced with an alarm blaring in Chinese. He never had time to fully study the requirements as this was a sudden reassignment, he takes a final look around the room. The TV just has an emergency broadcast with a map of the local area, it's pointing out several evacuation points.

 

 

Strangely Kaleb doesn't feel much about the whole situation, he grips the beginners’ staff and walks forward. The skeleton is a couple steps behind him covered in clothes now, his head is covered as best as it can be, but it looks menacing with the mist coming from around its face.

 

 

A cloak covers the skull of the skeleton, but it exudes a mist that covers its eyes, anyone that looks closely would be able to see it's not human but there's not much to be done about that. They step outside the hallway, there's creatures both left and the right. He's unfortunately stuck in the middle of the hallway. All the doors are open so there's only a few creatures out.

 

 

The screams and yells sound, Kaleb looks in the next room and discovers the occupants dead. Their bodies have been ripped apart as the creatures reach their bodies, they seem particularly interested in the brains.

 

 

Kaleb steps in, the creatures notice him and pounce at him with their claws out.

 

 

Kaleb picks the one on the right while the skeleton steps forward to intercept the other two.

 

 

"RAHH"

 

 

*SPLAT*

 

 

Kaleb swings down on the head of the zombie, which explodes, the middle creature has impacted the skeleton trying to rip into its ribs while the remaining creature has been bisected by the axe.

 

 

The skeleton holds the creature while Kaleb looks at it closely, it has piercing red eyes in slits. The fangs on its mouth look vampiric, covered in blood while they don't fit in the man's mouth. His claws are black with a hint of green on the end while his feet also have some claws with the same goo-like substance.

 

 

It's snarling and snapping trying to break free, Kaleb whacks down on the creature's head causing its body to fall down on the ground.

 

 

"pftt, yuk. Gotta remember to close my mouth next time."

 

 

He looks at the bodies of the occupants, they should be dead as their brains are spilled out, so he opts to raid their fridge for food.

 

 

They stop by the doorway for a moment when the skeleton hands Kaleb an item, it collects items so that's convenient.

 

 

[3 Survival Coins]

 

 

He puts it into the pocket with the other coin when they combine into one, it now has a large 8 on it.

 

 

There's no more information about what's going on so he walks out into the hallway, there's screams everywhere but he can't panic. He's 35 floors up, there's not much he can do to get down and it'll be better to wait for the masses. It's time to loot.

 

 

He checks the next room.

 

 

There's a single creature in there crouched down, it's partially blocked but from the blood. It's easy to guess that they're dead.

 

 

Kaleb approaches the room; the creature is about 5 meters away as he quietly approaches. The floor doesn't make a sound, he's creeping along for two meters he just needs to turn a corner to see the room fully when the creature suddenly sniffs the air.

 

 

"RAHHHH"

 

 

It roars and runs towards Kaleb, the skeleton takes a step forward, but Kaleb tells it to stay back.

 

 

He grips his staff and times it.

 

 

"SHIT!"

 

 

The creature dodges his hit, he's flurried, and makes a sudden kick.

 

 

*RIP* *BOOM*

 

 

The creature impacts the wall behind it, Kaleb looks at his leg in shock and it's ripped.

 

 

"RAHH"

 

 

The creature makes another approach when Kaleb this time makes a proper strike, the staff comes down and makes impact with the creature's stomach.

 

 

It's bones snap as it crumples on the floor, its lower body is disabled, and its head is caved in but it's still snapping and reaching for its claws.

 

 

He makes another strike on its head, *splat*.

 

 

The creature is dead.

 

 

He starts panting from the encounter when a message is heard in his head.

 

 

<"You have advanced to level 2, you have earned 2 stats points, please distribute the points!">

 

 

A large energy ball flew into his head when the message came over his mind, he thought for a moment about what to do.

28