Chapter 5 – Sudden Changes
268 1 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*BANG* *CRASH*

 

 

He made it to the office building, he landed a floor down, on some tables. He checks himself before seeing that he's fine, he looks around for any creature.

 

 

It's clear.

 

 

The skeleton makes a running and jumps over the alleyway too, he's a little confused as to why it doesn't just remake its body and float over, but it jumps over clumsily, nonetheless.

 

 

*BANG*

 

 

It impacts the floor below; Kaleb isn't worried about it as he gets up and takes a look at his suitcase. He opens it, only to find some mildly damaged food and some ripped packaging, but nothing major.

 

 

*THUD THUD THUD*

 

 

The sounds of banging at the doors and walls, scratching of creatures brings a wry smile to Kaleb's face.

 

 

He quickly barricades himself with the furniture around him and prepares to open the door to the hall.

 

 

"RAHH"

 

 

A creature appears from behind the door pushing it open, Kaleb moves behind the barrier he created.

 

 

It trips over a chair; he quickly bashes down with the staff. But another such creature quickly follows the first into the room.

 

 

*WHACK*

 

 

The zombie is hit on the head, but it doesn't go down. The now bewildered zombie stumbles forward as it's pushed by yet another one behind it. Kaleb quickly hits it again and readies himself to hit the one behind it. This one is covered in black skin; he hits it with the staff.

 

 

*thud*

 

 

It softly impacts the zombie’s neck; he pulls the staff back as the zombie charges forward.

 

 

*thud thud*

 

 

He hits it two more times, his heart starts racing as he's nearly out of stamina.

 

 

The zombie breaks free from the chairs, it brandishes its vicious fangs at Kaleb.

 

 

He reacts swiftly by pushing a table towards it, *SMASH*.

 

 

It waves its hand and smashes the table, its eyes glow as it approaches Kaleb.

 

 

"RAHH"

 

 

It pounces toward Kaleb; he smashes downward with all of his might.

 

 

*SMACK* *THUD*

 

 

The zombie is forced downward. Its head is conveniently placed where his staff aimed, a large axe is deeply lodged in its back.

 

 

The guardian spirit - Skeleton is standing there, its clothes are torn but its bones have a faint green shimmer to them.

 

 

The hallway is quiet as the skeleton holds out the rewards it has collected, it's a coin with a 20 on it and a green box, it's also holding two more stamina potions.

 

 

He quickly takes a stamina potion while holding the box, he looks at the skeleton.

 

 

"I know you won't be in that form always so uh, I can't really think of a good name for you. How about we call this form Bones from now on?"

 

 

The skeleton's eyes flash slightly as the mist around it dances around, it recognizes and likes its new name. It has reached level 5 leaving him behind, he looks back at the street. It is still absolute chaos, all the cars on the street are on fire and it has spread into the surrounding buildings. He looks down at the street and can't really see anyone due to the distance, but it's clear from the cars' positioning everyone is running around in no organized manner. In the distance he spots huge culverts going through the ground under the raised main road.

 

 

"Well...–

 

 

*BOOOOOM*

 

 

He's knocked backwards as the skeleton comes to protect his body; it travels through several walls.

 

 

Kaleb's body is in pain and he can't hear, his body feels like it's on fire as he can feel Bones pull him up.

 

 

His eyes wander about as they catch sight of just absolute fire behind him, he touches his ears and feels blood from them. He's gripping the green box which opens up, it reveals a sword. It appears in his hand, he can't read the information clearly, but it reads.

 

 

<Zombie Slayer Mk 1, a sword that specializes in anti-zombie and anti-pathogen carrier combat. Mark 1. Atk. 10-15.>

 

 

He grips the sword and makes some haphazard swings, it cuts through 3 zombies before the sword embeds itself on the floor, he grits his teeth and pulls it up and finishes off the remaining 3 zombies. He looks at the room, the skeleton is being besieged by 10 zombies and 2 creatures, Kaleb gulps as he feels blood coming up his throat, forcing it down.

 

 

He staggers forward, one step, two steps.

 

 

Bones takes a swing but can't pierce the hide, all these creatures have black skin. Kaleb takes a clumsy swing and bisects 4 of them, their claws swipe at Kaleb in revenge but Bones has already been able to finish them off. Kaleb takes a deep breath, he's running on empty stamina, and is now glad he took the stamina potion. The sword is much easier to use than the club, it just glides right through the zombies' skin, even the thicker black hide.

 

 

He holds it up and slices through two more zombies, Bones forces the remaining creatures back.

 

 

Bones reach into a corpse and pulls out another axe, this one is the same color as its bones as they have a stronger green color to them. It immediately hacks down with the axe; Bones is knocked back by the 4 zombies he was facing but somehow it manages to kill one. Kaleb steadies himself and takes care of the remaining 4, the experience flies into him as the last of the zombies are taken care of and he rests against the wall. He wonders what the hell is going on when he hears.

 

 

<"You have advanced to level 4, you have earned 2 statistics points, please distribute the points!">

 

 

'About damn time!' he thinks as he yells, "one to stamina and one to agility!"

 

 

[Kaleb Jones, Level: 3, Occupation: None, Title: None, Strength: 8+3, Agility: 11, Vitality: 8, Stamina 0/7, Spirit: 15, Endurance 13]

 

 

He stabs there heavily, panting while taking this opportunity to survey the surroundings and the remaining enemies.

 

 

His position is far from where he landed from jumping over the alleyway, he was blown 3 rooms over from where he was standing, as a trail of fire and destruction chased after him, his clothing has holes in it from the sheer heat emitted from the street, which is now filled with smoke. He has no idea what has happened but all he knows is that some sort of explosion threw him backwards.

 

 

The roars and screeches of creatures and zombies comes from the rest of the building, he recovers his stamina after 10 minutes. He and Bones spent this time roaming around, gathering all the drops from the zombies he killed. The stronger ones dropped a lot of coins and the number on the large coin in his pocked read 64. He also got a couple black and green boxes. Those contained another stamina potion and some strange weapons like clubs and small daggers. They were all bulky and less effective than even his Beginner's staff, so he decided to leave them behind; His luggage was already pretty heavy as it was.

 

 

Bones has upgraded to level 6, more than double his original level, which suggests that he's either leeching them off, causing himself to slow down leveling, or he has killed many things by himself. Its bones have transformed into a more solid green color but the mist that surrounds its body has become much thicker, it's like it has some sort of dry ice curtain all over him constantly, making it look rather conspicuous.

 

 

Wind whistles through the whole building, he exits through the opening that was smashed into the wall, taking care of any creatures that approach them. Some of them seemed to have survived outside the room where he landed. They're quickly approaching the main passageway, but he ignores them and crosses the rooms quickly checking them for food as he can smell smoke pouring into the building from outside.

 

 

He wets the cloth he's been using as the mask, over his face, as he approaches the outside, the heat feels intense as he's sweating with a wall between them. He crosses the final wall wondering how the hell he withstood going through it as he crosses the threshold. As rumbling shakes the building, his eyes go wide as he watches the sight before him.

 

 

The hotel is moving. Not a part of it, the whole thing.

22