Chapter 72: Winds of tempest
48 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"May I-"

"Know-"

"Why-" Gabriel said.

"Are-" Or at least he was trying to.

"We-" He evaded a jab.

"Training-" Another jab barely evaded.

"Blindfolded?" He was starting to get a hold of it.

It was the third day of his training with Arya. The first day had been a disaster. After the initial fluke, he got his ass entirely handed over to him.

Arya left, huffing and puffing, without even saying goodbye, after a couple of hours. He had spent the rest of the day mutilating himself in the gym. Gaia had him have all the potions he wanted. They were, after all, stored in the gym for the most part.

In fact, Toughen had leveled up twice, and was now at 23% of Tier 3.

Gabriel had drunk only half a Tier 3 potion, restoring fifty points of Mana, doing so he could still use it for two straight days, one he would bottom out again, he would finish the potion.

However, he had found many, many Energy potions too. And after checking with Olivia, he was cleared that they did not cause any lasting effects if not tiredness. He could fight with tiredness. Or at least he could see how he feared. So he abused the hell out of those Energy potions, training his Dash like an obsessed. Before he was entirely unable to move, Gabriel had drunk eighteen Tier 3 Energy potions. His body felt as if it was made of spaghetti.

To reach the dining hall, while walking in those conditions, took him half an hour. Before he knew it, he had gone back to his room and collapsed.

Waking up the following day, Gabriel felt as if he had been run over by a train, multiple times.

Only in the afternoon, he had regained the strength to go train with Arya.

However, by doing so, he managed to increase Dash to Tier 2 at 82.5%. Simply put, it wasn't worth it. He would have to do it such in an actual fight. Though he had at least repeated Dash enough times to have to build a certain foundation about it. Even increasing the grace and minuteness which could incorporate it. Of course, it was only a base understanding of the Skill, but it would have made a difference.

During the course of the day, he hadn't forgotten to train Toughen, storing his… mutilated parts inside of his dimensional bag to then empty into the fake locker room of the gym, with a resonant laugh from Arya.

The second day, he had thus ignored Dash entirely but raised Toughen to Tier 5 11%, and given the repeated use of Helping Hand, the healing Skill had reached Tier 9 10.2%

The training had gone better, but given his groggy state, he did not shine. Nevertheless, Arya had seemed more satisfied as she left a couple of hours later.

 

Back to the present.

It was the third day of her training, and it was going on for more than three hours already.

It was almost time for launch, and Gabriel was almost entirely spent. The girl, too, was heaving.

They had finally found a rhythm in their exchanges. Gabriel was forming his muscle memory and increasingly relying on his other senses to tell him how and where to move. Arya had finally started not holding back on her techniques. Well, she would still have to hold back physically speaking because Gabriel's Resilience was still not there yet. She could still instantly kill him if he didn't use Toughen to defend. However, regular attacks couldn't kill him but hurt him severely.

Gabriel did not only have to worry about maxing his Resilience, though, but he also needed to meticulously sip at his Meridians boost to keep up with the girls' speed.

She was, after all, a Tier 3, probably mid-tier 3. He guessed she heavily relied on Alacrity, Power, and Stamina. Because she could be much stronger and faster than him, and she never tired. However, when they connected, his attacks did shake her. She evidently had left Resilience behind to focus on those three.

"Because- it builds confidence- in yourself. Trust-" She evaded an attack from him.

"-in your party, but especially- gives you an edge in most situ-"

"Situations!" Her punch connected to his shoulder.

Gabriel rolled back on the ground to discharge the built-up momentum before his shoulder dislocated. He was growing rather good with it.

"That's not all!" She continued, after a jump assault. She had switched to Kata of the Surge.

"You still can't feel battle intent and bloodthirst. I highly doubt you have developed any sort of battle sense too. Do you?" She asked, after a side whip kick.

"What!?" Gabriel asked wheezing.

"There are no Perks for those. Whether you master them naturally, or you waste a precious Perk in some useless divination bound abilities. Isn't it better this way? More natural?" She continued.

"I have- no idea- of what you're talking about!"

"You will understand!" She grappled him with her leg, bringing him to the ground with a loud bang.

"You fight, like someone who has been in a war, and for a good time too," she said, removing both their blindfolds. Her thigh pressed on his carotid. Gabriel slapped on it to be released. "But you haven't developed even the basis of those feelings. How is that even possible?"

Tired of lack of air, Gabriel used a Burst Attack, and Dash applied on to his core muscles. Doing so, he got her into a quick leg-grip and threw her aside. She instantaneously recovered.

"That's… a long story." He heaved.

"I don't like long stories," she said, rolling her eyes. "We all have them. Make it short."

"Not gonna tell you, either short or long. Only need to train with you," he spat.

"Fair enough," Arya grinned, then launched at him.

Arya did not hold back this time. What followed were a few intense minutes of continuously switching Katas from her. Gabriel could barely follow them and tell the difference. However, he resisted for as long as he could. In the end, he soon raised the white flag.

Gabe lay on the ground, gasping for air.

"Whoever has taught you the three basic Katas had received proper instruction. They were clean, perfect. However, the Kata of the Tempest needs to be worked on, it almost feels like you are doing a half-assed job on reproducing it, or maybe you just like... missed the Katas of Air completely."

"Wait. What are you talking about? How did you know that name? I don't remember telling you," Gabriel said, shooting up.

"Why would you need to? I know all seven forms perfectly. I've been training since I was a toddler, surely don't need you to tell me their names!" She answered, removing her sweat-drenched shirt.

"I did not receive any training in any other forms. Olivia only taught me the Katas of Foam, Tide, and Surge. The Kata of the Tempest I developed on my own, during a… tough time. And it was me coming up with that name!"

Arya blinked. "Well, I hate to break it to you, but you didn't invent anything. The Kata of the Tempest is the automatic answer to a challenging environment. It's the seventh and ultimate Kata, obtained by the confluence of water and air forms. It was named as such by their creators. However, if what you're telling me is really true… it means that you might have found yourself in the right frame of mind, at the right time, and in the ideal conditions to develop it on your own. Getting the name right is probably the natural result of your spirit of observation."

Gabriel failed to understand the concept.

"How did I create it exactly like those that invented it? And there I thought I had something good going on for once… turns out I've just gotten lucky," he shook his head.

"Well, it's not something that happens every day. We could interpret it as a stroke of luck or as you being very talented in the Flowing Disciplines. However, lacking the Flow of Air, that's only so much you could do." She shook her head, "Really, the more I think about it, the more impressive the fact that you came up with it on your own. Must have been through some tough shit."

If she sounded almost insulted by what he had said, she started sounding somewhat stricken by his accomplishment.

"Maybe… maybe I might have taken you too lightly. How long did you say you've been practicing the Katas for?" She asked, gulping down from a bottle of water.

"I did not say it, actually. But, counting the 'tough times', I'd say less than three months."

She stopped mid-action, the water sloshing on her white undershirt. She had a breast band to contain her almost flat chest, and Gabriel could clearly see that he was right in his judgment. However, she sported tight muscles that still enhanced her femininity.

"You're shitting me now," it wasn't clear to Gabriel if that was supposed to be a question or an exclamation.

He shook his head. "I told you. Olivia taught it to me. If we're talking about the actual time, then I've been trained in it for around a month. But my long story has seen me pass a couple of months in an… environment where time was stretched."

She looked speechless, "How the hell did you reach that level in three months? This is insane." Arya started pulling at her hair while thinking.

"Oh, come on! It cannot be that impressive… and anyway, I was fed some peculiar mind-concoction, probably some form of mind-bending as well."

"Oh, shut up! You have no idea what that even means!"

Arya seemed angry now, really angry. She headed to him with a malicious looking step. She took him by the collar, raising him up in the air.

"Do you have any idea what that means!? I've reached this level through a ridiculous amount of effort, training night and day. And here you are, acting all cocky because of your ridiculous talent!"

"What the hell! I did barely say anything to you!" Gabriel was trying to take it as calmly as possible, but he wasn't really that good at acting calm. If it wasn't for his principles of not raising a hand on a woman, ever. Well, at least a flesh and bone woman, he would have already answered in kind.

"I swear to Yggdrasil!" she said, summoning a Binding over herself, "If you are lying to me, I'm going to kill you. Right here, right now!"

"He's not." Came a voice from the entrance hall.

It was Olivia.

"Hey Oli, good to see you. Could you de-escalate the situation, please?" Gabriel said with a crooked smile.

"I taught him the Flowing Discipline of Water that was taught to me at Tiamat's dojo. That was sooner than a month ago. He's traveled to Alter by less than a month," she vouched.

Arya studied Olivia for a few seconds, then she sighed and let go of Gabriel.

"That's unseemly of you, Arya," added Gaia, just getting inside the gym."

"Oh, fuck you and your useless decorum," she answered.

"So, everyone's here. Should I worry about something?" Gabriel said, trying to shift the topic of the conversation.

Olivia shrugged, "Haven't seen you all day yesterday, just wanted to know how you were faring."

"Oh, checking on me, right." Gabriel nodded, arms folded. "Still not going to run away, yet. No worries."

"I think you should leave. You clearly won't receive any more training from me," Arya said, frigid.

"I thought we had been training together, not that you were training me." Gabriel shook his head.

"Since you are so talented, train yourself. You surely don't need someone so mediocre to teach you."

Gabriel sighed.

I see what's the problem here now. Can't do much about it, not with them here anyway. There clearly is bad blood among them, he thought, eyeing first Gaia then Arya.

"Alright. I'll leave. I'll leave you be, that is. I still need the gym, though."

"Fine. I'll leave then." Arya picked up her upper suit and left, not turning back once.

After she had left, Gaia sighed. "Excuse her. She's rather intense, always has been."

"I don't mind it." Gabriel shrugged.

"Anyway, do you know this other wind discipline or something?" He asked Olivia.

She shook her head, "I've only been trained in the art of water; few teachers remain of the Flowing Air. The discipline has declined with the Fairies."

"But she knew how to use the Kata of Tempest. I've seen her do it. Though I haven't seen anything different from the Flowing Waters, who thought her then?"

"Arya does know about them. But her master has made her vow to use them only in combat. She cannot share them until she's worthy of it. That is. She clearly isn't yet." Gaia was clearly displeased with her cousin.

"Oh. Who was this master then?"

"The Champion of Fairies. Clast's grandfather," she answered.

"People keep mentioning names as I should know them. Who's Clast again?"

"Right, you wouldn't know. Well, it's useless then, you'll meet him in four days anyway. I just suggest you not to take out your Sk'rayr spear. He might react… unkindly."

"Damn. Everybody has problems with someone here! Can't find normal people! I want to go back to the Traveling Hearth; times were easier then!"

Olivia chuckled. "I had fun too, those few days."

"Should we leave this Herald thing be and go work there?"

"It's a deal?" She answered.

"Why the hell not!" Gabriel said, "I'm going to shower, and I'll be out. I still need to train my Resilience, though. It's not a spectacle for children. So, I won't be coming for launch."

Gaia seemed displeased. She had most probably just gotten back from her shift at Yggdrasil. She was the first to leave.

"You know she's entirely taken by you, right?" Olivia said, following him into the fake locker room.

"Gaia?" Gabriel chuckled, "She's taken by the idea of me. The eminent Herald. Shaper of Worlds!" He faked a laugh. "That's what she's taken about. She doesn't even know one detail about me. Nor do I need her to know. I'm not fond of people who try to trick me. I've forgiven her, but that's it."

"You could be friends, with no strings attached, you know?"

Gabriel, who was changing himself, threw his drenched shirt on the floor and turned to Olivia.

"What games are you playing now? Is this some sort of trick?"

"Trick? Of course not. I merely wanted you to know the possibility you had."

"You've changed, Olivia. Or maybe the person I've come to know was not you, to begin with. What has that witch done to you."

Though, as he asked the question, a scene played out in his mind, a memory.

"Now that I think about it, you've been cold ever since I refused that Binding you offered me. Why did you even ask me in the first place? You said you wanted to gain the power to kill the Priests with your own hands. Why make me do it then?"

Gabriel started feeling as if he really did have no one whom he could trust.

"No, Gabe. It's not as you think… we've both been through a difficult time. You've gone through something scarring, and I've been… invaded completely by a mind and a Spirit that weren't mine. I've let her take command of my body for two weeks while waiting for you."

"But why did you let her? Couldn't you fight her?"

"I- I could if I wanted to. Yet she offered me her powers Gabe… I've had a taste of Skills of Legendary Tier… I could plow through the Tyrants and other monsters in there with her Skills... In two weeks, my life's changed… I've grown forty levels, Gabe. Forty…"

Gabriel shook his head. "I bet you could have done without her. You would have had me if you dropped her. I would have fallen for you; eventually, you, know?" Gabriel chuckled, "Dumb as I am, I would have pardoned you everything, probably helped you up too? But now? How can I really trust anybody now? Especially you."

"But you said you were sorry! What's changed? I thought you had understood. It was a role I had to play. I was the only one who could do it in The Witch and Tiamat's court. They offered me a golden opportunity. I could never have refused it! It would have…"

"So it was a farce all along? Ever since you've come back from The Deep?"

Olivia nodded slowly.

"I was the only one, and I was there at the only time which would allow her plan to come to fruition. Gabriel… I'm a half-blood. My mother was a mermaid. My father a human. Only pureblood are accepted in Tiamat's court. I have been called only because of the Witch's foresight. I could have never said no."

"Why couldn't you?"

"Do you have any idea what it means to be the only truly alone? No family? No backup? No one to look at you not for what you are but for what you represent?"

Gabriel didn't answer, but he did not look convinced. So, Gaia continued.

"Have you seen The Cradle? It's The Den's main fortress of civilization. It has probably all the races in the world. But there are no merman people. I'll let you think about that. There's no reason pushing it further. You are not even trying to listen to me," saying so, Olivia left without turning back once.

Gabriel had no idea what to think anymore. He could have sworn he saw a glint of tears in those huge eyes. It sure was not hard to understand what she had been through if he actually thought about it some more. But even so, given that her first instincts had been those of lying to him, how could he hope to give his full trust to such a person?

Maybe there was no coming back for them. Perhaps it was time he found his own road, even if it meant being a lonely one.

As he thought so, a lizard, previously invisible, appeared at the frame of the door. He smiled at her.

Maybe not that lonely, after all.

5