Chapter 1. Graduation
334 7 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

+ + +

Sakura petals drifted from the blooming cherry trees. 

The scenery was picturesque. Numerous male and female students dressed in Josian Academy's intricate ceremonial uniform filled the campus lawn, and the sound of constant chatter swelled loudly in the air. The teachers were dressed in their nicest formal clothes, a large white tent had been erected over the courtyard on this special day of the year.

Graduation.

It was a day that marked adulthood in the Kingdom of Lugarnica

After receiving their diplomas, men would go on to begin their careers.

Women would quickly enter marriage and become housewives. Most of them were already betrothed, and a majority of women were engaged by the time they were thirteen. It was common for most girls to be married within a year or two after graduating from school.

Perhaps it was a conservative tradition, but this was the longstanding culture in Lugarnica.

Women were not allowed in the military, and they were forbidden from most jobs.

This way of life was completely normal in this country.

+ + +

"You're not going to the graduation ceremony, Karius?" A silver-haired boy asked.

"No. I hate it." A black-haired boy responded.

His eyes were narrow and slender, with a dark shadow that seemed to lurk underneath his brow. He was only seventeen years old, but he was tall and built like an impenetrable mountain, as one might expect for the vice-captain of the Josian Academy fencing club. His swordsmanship skills were monstrous like a demon’s, and his brute strength was already on par with adult knights who served in the royal vanguard. 

Next year, he was slated to become the ace of their team.

Under his leadership, he would absolutely lead Josian Academy to victory in the national tournament.

The smaller classmate sighed.

"Captain Sulles is graduating this year. I'm sure the seniors would appreciate it if you went to see them off. They were really nice to all the underclassman in the club, you know? At least, I kind of want to say goodbye. They taught me a lot."

"It's just a dumb ceremony," Karius retorted.

He slid down the stairs with a sheathed wooden sword in his hand.

"If you want to go to graduation, go by yourself, Faust."

The black-haired young man pushed open the door to the gymnasium. A heavy bag hung loosely from his shoulder, and it was filled with all kinds of protective gear and leather armor, but he carried the equipment like it weighed absolutely nothing.

He turned around to face Faust.

"What's wrong with you, anyways? Why are you always following me?"

"We're the only two second-years in the varsity club," Faust responded. "Even if you're a big grumpy grizzly bear, I'm still kinda responsible for you. I mean, if you get suspended for skipping out of a required student assembly, that affects all of us on the fencing team. It'd be tough to train for the team battle over summer break if our ace vanguard is missing."

"I won't get caught by a hall monitor."

"That's what they all say before getting a detention slip."

"Just leave me alone."

The redhead cut in front Karius with a mischievous grin on his eyes, blocking the way onto the gymnasium floor.

He was dying to talk about some juicy bits of information that he had just heard, and he seemed oblivious to the fact that the black-haired boy was completely averse to useless conversation.

"Hey, Karius. Aren't you curious to know who the omega's were this year? Sebastian was wearing a dress. It was super interesting. I never imagined that the student council president would be one. It's a shame, because he would have made a great archwizard, and I always thought he would definitely be going to the Magus Tower. Apparently, he's engaged to a businessman in the shoemaking business. Isn't that hilarious? I heard that everyone was trying not to laugh when he stepped up to the podium and stumbled over the hem of his skirt."

A foul look appeared on Karius's eyes.

"I don't care. I hate omegas."

His voice was cold and frosty.

In this universe, there was a third biological sex.

Approximately 5% of men were born with vaginas, and they were known as omegas. In the Kingdom of Lugarnica, they were legally treated as women, and similarly expected to bear children and get married upon reaching adulthood. Although civil rights advocates have made major advances in recent years, and most schools did not require their students to publicly disclose their true sex, the adult world was different.

At the prestigious Josian Academy, omega men were required to wear skirts at the graduation ceremony.

Faust frowned.

"Oh come on, Karius. It's not good to be sexist. Omegas are people too, just like the rest of us."

"I hate omegas." Karius repeated darkly.

"Just because they're a bit feminine, it doesn't mean that it's okay to bully them." Faust protested.

"Shut up, Faust. Or I'm kicking you out."

The redhead looked apologetic and flustered.

"Seriously though, you can't go around saying that you hate omegas. You'll get in trouble, and the newspaper club will write a scoop complaining about sexism in the fencing club. In recent years, the school administration made hazing a serious offense, and it's a huge deal if you're caught harassing people for their gender."

"I don't care. I don't want anything to do with omegas. I don't even want to see them."

Faust sighed in resignation.

"Just... try to keep your thoughts to yourself, okay? You're going to offend someone one of these days."

Karius said nothing in response.

He unsheathed his sword and raised the wooden blade in front of him.

He focused on his breathing, and zoned the rest of the world out.

 

5