Book 1-12.1: Shards
1.7k 3 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning saw all the teams near the flag pole in the central courtyard. Each cadet carried with them a backpack, their weapons, and supplies. Yuriko felt a bit strange since none of them had done any morning exercises or training. It made sense, of course; there was no need to waste strength when they were about to do something dangerous.

 

“The Shillogu Woods is a vast buffer zone between the Empire’s territory and the barbarians of the north,” Armsmaster Byrne began once everyone arrived. “The woods stretch for over a hundred leagues and this outpost controls only the first couple of leagues in. Nevertheless, constant surveillance has shown several Wanderers within ten leagues. Your task is to hunt down one or more of these Wyldlings. Harvest the shard inside them and return. You won’t be hunting blind, however: here are tracking reports of three of the Wyldlings. Team leaders, come forward and take one.”

 

Yuriko stepped forward, along with Maryn, and Braden. Armsmaster Byrne held out three folders. “Pick one.”

 

Braden nodded to the girls. Maryn was the first to reach for a folder, followed by Yuriko. Braden was handed the last one. The folder contained a map of the nearby woods with the outpost as the reference point. There file included illustrations and a report.

 

“16th Day of Fire

Scout Report

Shillogu Woods Outpost

 

Wanderer Class Wyldling sighted along the southwest quadrant of the woods, observed for two hours. Identified general parameters. 

 

Type: Humanoid, giant

Base: Insectoid, carapace

Limbs: six, two combat arms

Activity: Placid wandering, non-hostile to local fauna

Last Seen: lingering near the Twin Falls, two leagues from outpost, bearing north-northwest.”

 

Yuriko handed the report to Krystal while she unfolded the map on a table. The Twin Falls--called such for being the two tributaries of the River Caradec--was clearly marked on the map, as were several other landmarks. If they headed straight north from the outpost, they would find the lightning tree, a tree that had been struck and burned by lightning but had miraculously survived. The trunk of this huge oak tree had split in two, one side pointing directly north and the other southwest.

 

From there, they could follow the gullies and cliff faces west to end up at the bottom of the Twin Falls. The falls fell from a great height before falling into a common pool that turned into the river. They could make a camp nearby and Yuriko could scale a vantage point while Krystal could scout.

 

“Sounds like a plan,” Heron said quietly. 

 

“We’ll look for a fallback point once we’re near?” Mikel asked nervously. 

 

The map wasn’t that detailed, only listing major landmarks that were unlikely to change over the years. The map showed only ten leagues into the woods anyway. Yuriko studied other landmarks in case they got lost.

 

“We could just follow the tributaries downstream if we ever get lost,” Yuriko said thoughtfully. 

 

“If we can,” Krystal muttered, “the banks aren’t always suitable for walking.”

 

“Either way, it’s a landmark.”

 

“Everyone, prepare to leave,” Armsmaster Byrne yelled. “If you want a ride to the edge of the forest, head to the transport. We’ll expect you back with your kill by tomorrow evening.”

 

“Aren’t they sending someone to watch over us?” Orrin asked nervously.

 

“Maybe, maybe not,” Heron grunted. “This is hardly a dangerous mission. We even have a likeness of the Wyldling and directions.”

 

“There’s probably a watcher,” Yuriko said, “just that we probably can’t see them.”

 

“I suppose.”

 

Yuriko and the others followed Armsmaster Byrne, boarded the transport, and waited while it trundled to the forest’s edge. It took half an hour before they reached their starting point where two of the teams, Yuriko’s and Maryn’s, disembarked. 

 

She fiddled with her backpack, adjusting the straps and hopping up and down to test the balance. The backpack had a quick-release latch that, when pulled, undid all the straps. It was a safety measure in case the wearer needed immediate freedom from the weight. While it wasn’t heavy, she knew it would get in the way of her sword dance. 

 

Orrin waved goodbye to his twin. Braden’s group headed east along the tree line, crossing a footbridge over the river just before they disappeared from view. Maryn’s team followed Yuriko’s team along the trail that would lead to the lightning tree. 

 

The transport had followed a wide gravelled road which continued into the forest. They walked in a bunch, all ten of them, while they followed the path. It was about five paces wide, and was lower than the forest floor; no doubt flooded when it rained. It was in dire need of repair though it did run parallel to the river. In the centre ran deep grooves from where transporter wheels had dug into the mud.

 

Trees with wide branches grew on either side of the road, extending a canopy overhead. It gave them shade while still leaving enough of a gap to allow sunlight to filter through. Yuriko walked where there was a clear line of sunlight; the warmth of the sun on her skin made her feel more energetic.

 

Bird calls, animals chittering, and insect noises filled the air. There was an incessant buzzing sound that started after a few minutes walking. It was loud, but not unpleasant. Millie had a sour look on her face though.

 

“What’s wrong?” Yuriko asked.

 

“Stupid bugs. Why can’t they shut up?” Millie growled. She kept poking a finger in her ears and wincing. 

 

“Oh.” Yuriko shrugged. There wasn’t much anybody could do about the bugs singing but she realised that Millie was probably using enhanced hearing techniques.

 

A half-hour hike later and they could see the lightning tree as the road curved east. Maryn’s team bade them farewell as they continued on the road. Yuriko and the others glanced at each other before they ostensibly rearranged themselves into their formation.

 

Krystal led the team, followed by Yuriko, Orrin, and Mikel. Heron brought up the rear. In a couple of minutes, they were next to the lightning tree. It was bigger than Yuriko expected. The trunk was taller than she was before it split in two, falling partially on the ground before it turned back up. 

 

If they believed the map, they were to move west from here and would find a gully that would eventually lead them to the Twin Falls.

 

“Or we could head west and eventually hear it, probably,” Mikel said. “I don’t fancy walking at the bottom of a ditch where we could be ambushed.”

 

“It could hide us while we travel,” Krystal said, “or we could walk alongside it. Anyway, there’s a path here heading west.” Krystal’s eyes glowed blue for a moment. “Deer path, I think. Few humans passed by here.” She looked at Yuriko, waiting for her decision.

 

“Let’s take the path. We can follow the gully for now but I agree with Mikel. I doubt the bottom of the gully would be easy hiking anyway.”

 

Krystal led the way with her Plasma Lancet held in one hand and a machete in another. Yuriko held her rifle in both hands, muzzle pointed down but ready to bring to bear quickly. Heron was using his spear as a walking stick. Mikel was fingering his side-blade while Orrin had a hand on the holster on his hip. 

 

At first, they twitched and started with every bestial call. Once, a chattering squirrel dropped an acorn on them while they passed under its tree. Orrin yelped that time, drawing a snide laugh from Heron. They heard the babbling brook before they came upon it. The water was only a couple of inches high, with smooth rounded stones on the bed. Without a word, they followed it upstream. The brook eventually led into the gully, while they opted to stay on the higher ground. Eventually, the gully grew deeper than Yuriko was tall. 

 

After a while, they were forced to detour around several boulders that blocked their passage. They were further barred from returning to the bank when they were confronted by a thick copse of trees and berry bushes.

 

“Wild lavan berries!” Yuriko exclaimed. She plucked one of the thumbnail-sized purple fruit but before she could touch it, her instincts screamed at her.

 

Squeeee!

 

She jumped back just as something barreled through the bush. She stumbled against Heron, who caught her while she tried to regain her footing.

 

“Ooff!” He grunted as her backpack slammed against his chest. 

 

With a hoarse squeal, the wild boar that almost skewered her wheeled around and pawed the ground, dark eyes darting between the cadets. Krystal aimed her pistol at it but didn’t fire. Orrin had fallen on his bottom in surprise while Mikel’s hands were glowing red. With a snort, the animal turned tail and scampered off, following a trail and disappearing into the undergrowth.

 

“Are you okay?” Heron asked her, his breath tickling her ear. He had dropped his spear when she crashed into him, though he had enough strength and balance not to fall over. 

 

“Yes, thank you,” she said breathily while she felt her cheeks redden. That had been foolish. Once she regained her balance, she grabbed Heron’s fallen spear and handed it to him. “Sorry about that.”

 

He nodded and smiled as he accepted the weapon. He actually had a nice smile when he wasn’t smirking. 

 

“Too greedy,” Krystal smirked. “I don’t think those are completely ripe.” 

 

“I like them with a bit of tartness if they’re fresh.”

 

Smoke rose from Mikel’s hands while he waved them around and blew on them. Heron helped Orrin up on his feet. His face was flushed in embarrassment while he dusted the seat of his pants. 

 

Keeping an eye out for other hostile pigs, Yuriko plucked a handful of berries.

 

“Want some?” she asked, offering the handful to the others. It was time for a small break anyway. Heron grabbed a couple, popping them into his mouth. Then his face twisted and his lips puckered.

 

“Sour!” he complained.

 

Yuriko ate one. Her lips puckered from the tartness but she smiled afterwards. “It’s good.”

 

“If you say so.”

 

Orrin had a couple but both Mikel and Krystal demurred. Both of them sat on a small outcropping and pulled out their water canteens for a drink. Orrin fished out a strip of beef jerky and nibbled on it. Heron leaned against a tree, taking a sip off his canteen. When Yuriko finished the berries, she washed them down with some water. Once they had caught their breaths, Yuriko’s team continued on their path. 

 

The detour around the thicket took a while and it was halfway to noon by the time they returned to the gully, not too far from where they had to stop in the first place. 

 

“Maybe we should have just followed the gully,” Krystal muttered.

 

“Well, we can just jump down to the bottom, it isn’t that deep,” Yuriko said.

 

“Only if you want to break an ankle,” Krystal observed. The bottom was littered with rotting leaves, twigs, and stones. A small misstep could injure, what more a jump from above?

 

“We do have ropes.” 

 

“Fine, you’re the boss.”

 

Soon, they managed to descend the steep slope without issue. Yuriko recovered the rope and bundled it back into her pack. Sunlight passing through the canopy gave the ground a mottled look. There was ample space to walk, though their steps caused the leaves to crackle and the twigs snap. She had initially tried to refrain from snapping any leaves when she walked but the tediousness of the task and the fact that it slowed her down to a crawl made her decide otherwise. 

 

Yuriko looked up at the canopy every now and then, sometimes seeing some small animals making their way across the interwoven branches. Across the brook, the loose earth turned into an escarpment, exposing solid grey stone underneath. The canopy thinned at that point, allowing sunlight to bathe the earth. Small blue flowers dotted the opposite banks, with bees the size of her little finger buzzing about.

 

The brook meandered for a while and after they walked for an hour, Yuriko’s stomach started to grumble. They weren’t far from Twin Falls, she hoped. Her feet were starting to ache, and from the way Krystal was limping, she needed to cast Recovery soon.

 

Eventually, the brook disappeared into a wall of stone and earth. They found themselves in a dead-end with the top of the cliff a dozen paces high. Heron shrugged, took off his pack and grabbed a coil of rope. 

 

“Watch my back,” he said. Up he went on the cliff face. It was an easy climb, Yuriko thought, finding a lot of hand- and foot-holds just on a visual inspection. She kept her eyes, and the Plasma Caster, aimed above but all went well. Heron secured the rope and dropped it down into the gully.

 

Yuriko quickly shimmied up the rope, bracing with her feet against the rock. She ascended quickly, and Heron gave her a hand near the top. 

 

The trees on the hilltop were spaced widely, nearly three to four paces between trunks. Small twigs and green leaves littered the ground. Down at the bottom of the hill was a large pool with a stream leading away. The roar of the waterfalls was quite obvious up here, she didn’t know why they didn’t hear it down in the gully. 

 

Krystal, Orrin, and Mikel soon joined them at the top. 

 

“Beautiful,” Mikel breathed, pointing at the two waterfalls that gave the landmark its name. One was only fifteen paces high, while the other soared nearly thirty paces. The pool was surrounded by fine sand and the water looked deep, though it looked clear further away from the falls. 

 

Yuriko drew her Animus up to her eyes to magnify her vision. A stag with at least fourteen points on its antlers was drinking by the shore, opposite it was a big tawny wildcat. Several predators and prey seemed to be peacefully drinking in the pool. None of them showed any aggression whatsoever. 

 

The Twin Falls were also clear of any Wyldlings as far as she could tell. Admittedly, she couldn’t see beyond the bushes and thickets a dozen paces from the shore though. 

 

“Looks like we’ll have to track it down from here,” Yuriko muttered.

 

“What did you expect from a scout report that is nearly a week old?” Krystal said drily.

 

“One could hope. Let’s find a place to camp. I’m hungry and it doesn’t look like we’ll be done anytime soon.”

-----

Hello all! ?

We hope you're enjoying the story so far. We love reading and replying to the exchanges in the comments, too!

Just a quick note to add that advanced releases are available on Patreon so if you can't wait to see what's coming next or you want to show support for the series, do visit our Patreon page! ?

52