Book 2-23.3: Inauspicious Gatherings
832 0 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lukas didn’t know what to expect when Aengus led him away from 28 Quartz. He certainly didn’t expect to be brought back down to the Lower Ring, into a tavern’s backroom and have a sack thrown over his head.

“You can’t betray what you don’t know,” Aengus whispered in his ear.

He stumbled after Aengus, led in the dark only by the other boy’s grasp on his hand. They went down some steps and walked on an uneven surface for what felt like an hour or so.

When his footsteps didn’t echo anymore, someone removed the sack over his head and he found himself in a chamber with no windows and only one door. He recognized Ruwell, of course. There were a dozen people in the room, all of them, except Ruwell and Aengus, wearing a hooded cloak that obscured all of their features.

The chamber was a strange oblong shape with odd protrusions that easily led him to believe that they were in a natural cavern. There were candles all over the place, too; no light panels powered by Animus. The air was neither warm nor cold; instead, it was a comfortable middleground--a little balmy but lukewarm more than anything else.

“Why am I here?” he whispered to Aengus.

“You drank the Zoi Elixir, didn’t you?” Aengus whispered back. “Well, that means you’re part of this group now.”

“Oh.” Lukas nodded, face impassive. But inside, his heart was pounding hard.

Nothing was for free, and having taken payment in excess of whatever service he had rendered, the bill had come due. Could he still back out? Say he would join and, once he was out of here, just leave? Who would he tell anyway? The constable would include him in any round-up and, once he was in the stockade, there would be no going back. Best he could hope for was a sentence to the hard labour in the Zarek mines where all manner of beasties would feast over his corpse. What would happen to Kiruna then?

“What…what is expected of me?” he stammered.

“Relax.” Aengus clapped his shoulder, “an oath of silence is all we need right now.”

“Backed by what?”

“An oath to the Threads of Fate, of course.” Aengus’ face hardened. “The Assembly of Freethinkers had been betrayed from within and they killed our leaders. They were too softhearted.”

“Alright, but what if I’m having second thoughts.”

“On some paths, once trodden, cannot be turned back on.”

Lukas just stared back for a long moment. Aengus gave him a cheeky grin.

“Come on, Lukas, aren’t you tired of living a hand to mouth existence? Here is the path to progress, a path to wealth and power. I’ve shown it to you, but it’s up to you to walk it. You think the nobles will ignore you and that you’re safe as long as you keep your head down? All it would take is if one of them gets annoyed with how you look. They have all the power here but we are about to take it back. We’re not alone!”

“Aengus!” One of the cloaked figures, a man from the voice, said.

“Oh, sorry.” Aengus chuckled and scratched the back of his head.

“Lukas Maeda Nadir,” the same man said, “you’ve been given a one of a kind chance. Thousands more in your situation would beg to be included in this Council. This is an honour you should accept, and not only for yourself but for your younger sister too. Don’t worry, we will make sure both of you grow strong in your own right. Together, we will be free of the Empire’s oppression.”

What should have been a reassuring speech just made Lukas fear more for his and his sister’s lives. But he was too far in to get out. It may have been too late once he accepted the Zoi. It may have been too late when he accepted Mazer’s offer to work for his Emporium. For that matter, did that loan shark know about this underground cult that was recruiting members out of his workers?

Or was he in on it too? That man sounded suspiciously like him. Or maybe he was just too confused. Their creditor had never forced them to do anything they didn’t want to. He could have had Lukas turned in for failing to honour a debt. The fact that it was his parents' debt only meant that the Empire would pay in his name, then force him into indentured service to pay it off. But that way, there would be absolutely no chance for Kiruna to get a leg up in her Atavism Ritual.

Lukas’ low Animus cap was a result of a low-quality catalyst and probably an even worse lineage.

He kept circling back to the Zoi Elixir. The…Council could supply him with more, and perhaps provide him with the tutelage that he had missed. It was a way for both he and his sister to escape the pit they had found themselves in.

He nodded. “I understand. What must I do?”

The cloaked people made a circle around him, Aengus and Ruwell joined them. Each held out a hand, which showed their varied Animus colours. They stepped closer until their Fields covered him from head to toe.

“Make your oath. Swear to keep the Council of Judgement secret from the nobles, the ruling class of Rumiga City, and any of the Legion, Militia, or Constabulary.”

“I swear,” Lukas began, “to keep the Council of Judgement a secret from the nobles, the ruling class of Rumiga City, and any of the Legion, Militia, or Constabulary.”

For a moment, Lukas couldn’t see anything. The cave and the people inside faded away and he was in complete darkness. And a moment later, he could see lines. Threads going all over the place, some intertwining, some cutting across each other. Some tangled up in a knot and choked. He could see a line, an orange thread, coming from himself, or rather, his Anima. It stretched out in the infinite void. There were countless lines touching his but only briefly. But there was one line that was deeply entwined with his. A grey thread. It looked dull and not quite there. Kiruna’s.

The next moment, he felt his string vibrate, as if something had plucked it. His entire being shivered and a rich tone reverberated in his Anima. The next moment, he was back in the chamber and the others were staggering away.

“I always hate it afterwards,” Ruwell muttered. “Well, that’s it then. Welcome to the Council, Lukas. Now, I believe it’s time to talk about duties and responsibilities, as well as rewards and payment.”

Still unsettled with the experience, Lukas watched bemusedly while the cloaked figures slowly walked out of the cavern, leaving just the cousins and the first cloaked man behind. Once they were completely alone, the man swept his hood back, revealing Mr. Mazer’s tired face.

Lukas’ employer gave him a tired smile, patted him on the shoulder and said in a low voice, “Well, this is as much as I can do for you, lad. I promised your mum and dad.” With that, he followed the others out.

“Well, let’s get started,” Ruwell said enthusiastically.

Lukas drew a shuddering breath. It was too late to change his mind.

--------

The letter read:

“Colin Gael Foster…

Dear Mr. Foster,

At your request, herein included is a copy of your recent transactions at the Imperial Bank. We are pleased to be of service and acknowledge the instructions you’ve included in our previous correspondence…

Yours Truly,

Fergus Felixia Danari

Account Correspondent

Imperial Bank”

Colin scanned the letter quickly, then turned to the next page with the list of transactions. He found what he was looking for within the first dozen lines, a deposit made in Rumiga City amounting to thirty thousand Sovereigns. Braden Foster was the depositor.

“Well, that settles it,” he grinned to himself.

He folded up the papers, returned it into its fancy envelope, and placed the entire thing into his office’s lockbox. The family compound in Cierra Village was a humble affair. A couple of homesteads, a couple of warehouses, and a barn for the farmers’ branch. Colin was the head of the Emporium though he wasn’t the family’s patriarch. The distinction belonged to his father who was pushing on in years. No one other than Colin had made it to Knight and it was a sure thing that he would become the next family head.

Still, compared to the Empire’s Great Clans, they were nothing. Even the middling elite families were nothing compared to a clan whose lineage traced all the way back to the Shattering. Heritages grew weaker over time, too, when too many of the descendants were mediocre.

The twins had the best Heritage of their generation and Colin hoped that their potential would come to fruition. However, he wasn’t satisfied with his family remaining mediocre. But to elevate their level required copious amounts of Zoi Elixirs. The cost for that would be more than enough to bankrupt them ten times over. So what was an aspiring Clan head to do? Find ways, of course.

Thock, thock!

“Come in!” Colin called out. The door opened to reveal Lloyd, his younger brother and the twins’ father.

“Colin, do you have any more kaf leaves? I’ve run out already.”

Lloyd waved a hand holding a dark brown pipe, scattering some ashes along the way. His younger brother resembled him greatly though with several Jin more of weight and perhaps a bit more hair. Ever since Lloyd had failed to evolve his Facet to the Knight level, he’d given up and let himself go. A pity; his talent was as great as Colin’s back then.

“Sure, brother, here, have my pouch.”

He tossed a small leather bag. Lloyd almost fumbled the catch but as soon as he had a good grip, he pulled open the drawstrings, took a pinch of dried leaf, and tamped it into the pipe.

“Thanks! Oh, I hear you’re leaving again? But you just got back.”

“That’s how business is. We’ve got to keep the goods moving. Every day they stay in our warehouses costs coins. Not just in the upkeep but also of the lost opportunity to buy and sell more goods.”

“Yeah, if you say so,” Lloyd said indifferently. A moment later, smiled, “Have you heard from my sons? Braden’s made it into the Elite classes!”

“I know,” Colin nodded. “Good thing, really. I’d hoped Orrin would have made it too, considering his talent, but I suppose the competition for Sharom’s Elite was too much for him. Well, their status makes things so much easier.”

Lloyd shifted from foot to foot while he lit his pipe and took a long draw. The shadow behind his eyes faded as he sighed in bliss.

“Ah, I remember my time in the Imperial Academies.” After a while, his smile faded away. “Well, it wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows.”

“They’d have to fend for themselves, like every other child who qualified. They’ll reach Journeyman at least, so there’s that.” Colin got up and out of his chair and walked to his younger brother. “Come on, Lloyd. Help me pack for my trip.”

“Oh, where are you going this time?”

“South,” Colin said with a grin. “Things are looking up, finally, and we’ll have fine wine and enough Spice to last us a lifetime. And beyond.”

“Oh, and where will this Spice come from?”

“You know I can’t tell you that.”

“Why not?” he whined. “We’re brothers here! Shouldn’t you tell me everything?”

“Oh, alright.” Colin sighed. “Where do you think Spice comes from anyway?”

“Uh, Realmheart?”

“Just one of the ingredients. Not the most important one, but without it, the Zoi would be unstable. Well, what if I told you that there’s likely a substitute?”

“Really? What?”

“I can’t tell you.” Colin grinned impishly.

“Aww!” Lloyd groaned.

“I really can’t. Sorry.”

“Fine, fine. So where in the south are you headed?”

“Oh, at least Haveena. Maybe even to Kadrac City, for the beef.”

“What about Uaran City?”

“Not much I’m interested in there. I might head southeast of Kadrac City. Garamus has a limited cocoa trade and your kids are asking me for a lot more chocolate than they have the right to consume.”

“Garamus, huh? Well, bring back some chocolate truffles.”

“Of course, for your dear wife too.”

“Kodi would love that.”

Colin saw his brother off to the parlour where he would no doubt spend the rest of the afternoon in a daze. Colin lit his own pipe and savoured the feeling of his Animus growing more active. He had a lot to do and, with the agreements in place, everything had changed.

36