Book 3-10.01: Visitors
763 1 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lucille Sybil Kinnock idly fiddled with her shoulder-length silver hair while her chauffeur drove the landcrafter down Rumiga Boulevard. Their destination was the Imperial Provincial Palace of Rumiga, an opulent affair that doubled as the Imperial Territories’ centre of state. It housed the administrative, judicial, and military arm of the Empire, in charge of this slice of land at the Empire’s extreme edge.

Today was the weekly meeting between the governing forces of Rumiga City. A joint affair between the two ducal powers, the Agminis Legate, and the High Adjudicator. Though the last one was likely to skip the meeting.

Lucille wasn’t the Duchess: that honour belonged to her father, Duke Solomon Kinnock, though he was getting on in years and still hadn’t advanced beyond the Knight level. Granted, Anima strength was not a requirement to hold noble office but personal strength was always a bonus. Especially here in the frontier where there were numerous other powers seeking sole dominion over Rumiga.

The landcrafter turned into the palace’s driveway and came to a halt at the gates. The driver exited the cabin and opened Lucille’s door for her. She only snapped out of her thoughtful mood when he said, “Madam?”

“Ah, yes. Thank you.”

She ignored the hand held out to support and got up and out of the landcrafter. The constabulary guards snapped a salute, side-blades held high on their right hands, as soon as she stepped out.

She nodded a small greeting to them but otherwise ignored the guards. She walked down the carpeted hallways barely paying attention to the people passing by, or the glorious ornaments by the walls. She’d been to the palace several times in her youth, and more often now that she had reached the heights. Her father had formally deputised her to represent House Kinnock, though it was something she didn’t really enjoy doing. However, her only sibling, a wastrel of an older brother, was even more unsuited to this duty, and she wouldn’t allow her lesser cousins the chance to rise above the main lineage.

The council chambers were on the second floor, just beyond the grand staircase. The glittering chandelier shed warm yellow light down the great hall. Lucille calmly strode up the stairs, taking the eastern side traditionally reserved for the Kinnocks. Her counterpart was either not yet here or already in the chambers. With Mori, she really couldn’t tell if he would be early or late. He was never on time though.

Mori was Duchess Elin Esras’ protege, occupying roughly the same position as Lucille did, and for all intents and purposes, should have been her equal. Except for the fact that she was the strongest one here save for the Legates of course. Legate Jiro Segawa wasn’t here though, and Legate Iola Brygos didn’t like political games. Agminis’ sole duty was to keep the province safe. They weren’t in charge of expanding the Empire’s reach in Rumiga--that was Vagaris’ job.

The trouble was that Segawa would rather sail in the Chaos Sea than push for their interests down south, or up north. So those decisions fell to the Ducal houses, whose purpose should have simply been governance and trade.

The house guard opened the doors to the chamber for her, and she walked to her seat, eyeing the early occupants with some trepidation.

High Adjudicator Erwin Sharine was actually in his seat, leafing through a pile of papers. Mori Esras was already there, along with his mother, Duchess Esras, though the elderly woman looked like she was dozing. Mori gave her a guarded look.

Neither Legate was present but Agminis’ Tribunus was. Agatha Kaspar looked like she’d been pulled through a wringer and hung out to dry. Her clothes were rumpled and her hair a frizzy mess. Still, the woman’s Anima radiated readiness and power. The slightest hint of danger and she would spring to deadly action.

Standing near the corner were a couple of dark green-robed attendants from the Church of the Everlasting Order, both masked. One was clearly male and the other, female. The Church Attendants always witnessed this little council, though they rarely offered their wisdom.

It looked like Lucille was the last to arrive. Even her aide, her Shieldbrother, Erasmus Donnet Dinia, stood with arms crossed behind her seat.

“Apologies if I’m late,” Lucille said slowly as she settled into her armchair.

“No, you are just in time,” High Adjudicator Sharine replied. “Well, since we are all present--Duke Kinnock will not attend, I presume?” he continued upon Lucille’s nod, “then we will begin the council meeting.”

The Adjudicator, the dukes, and the Legates took turns to officiate, and today happened to be Sharine’s turn.

“First on the agenda.”

Sharine waved a hand to an aide who channelled Animus into a projector in the middle of the chamber. A list of names appeared in the air between the seats.

“These are the leaders of the so-called Assembly of Freethinkers. All were apprehended or killed by the purge that began two years ago. It is only recently that the task has been completed. The last Freethinker was killed during an apprehension attempt. The Constabulary will investigate his hiding place for evidence of further insurrection…”

Sharine continued on about petty details that Lucille barely paid attention to. The Freethinkers were a radical group who wished to liberate Rumiga from the Empire. Fools, the whole lot. Lucille knew just how much the Empire’s support was needed to keep Rumiga City and its provinces running. Without the constant influx of goods going through Delovine, their industry would have long dried up and they would be cast at the mercy of their neighbours.

“...If there is evidence of a successor organisation, we will have to uncover and eliminate them before they can introduce more instability in our already precarious situation,” High Adjudicator Sharine concluded.

“Is there any evidence?” Mori Esras asked.

“Not at the moment.”

“Suspicions?”

“Of course. But no evidence, nonetheless.”

“I see. Shall I move on to the next item on the agenda?”

“If you please.”

“Ahem, Your Grace, Your Honor, Tribunus, and Madame, allow me to bring to your attention the figures brought about by the latest Chaos Storm to hit our shores.”

He waved at the aide who changed the image on the projector from a list of names to a bar graph.

“Monetary losses from infrastructure damages are higher than previously experienced. Most of our structures in the Upper Ring have suffered at least minor damage. The Circuit Tram routes are urgently in need of repair and it is estimated to take at least a couple of weeks, thirteen days to be exact, to enact repairs. I request even beginner students of Sharom and Lunette to aid in this endeavour otherwise it would take even longer.

“As for buildings, total damages amount to roughly seven million, twenty thousand, five hundred and twelve Sovereigns in the East quarter alone. The West suffered less, the total amount in Sovereigns not exceeding a hundred thousand. Most of the damage was in the roofing, which sported cracks and leaks. Damage to our parks, greenery, and orchards are also significant but easily remedied with some efforts from our Verdanists.”

Mori took a deep breath.

“The Mid Rings, and more specifically, the Channel Quay suffered much damage, though mostly to the Legion’s defence against the Chaos dweller incursion. Much of our troubles, I believe, are due to the Asheron Court’s attack.”

“I heard from my sons that there were casualties,” Lucille interrupted. “Some of the Academy’s students were either wounded or abducted. What is Agminis to do about this?” she demanded.

“Patience, Madame Kinnock, we will get to that in good time,” Mori said placatingly.

“Are you telling me that the matter is not urgent?”

”It is,” Tribunus Kaspar interjected, “but everything that could have been done is already being done. Unless you wish to volunteer your House guards to the task?”

“I’m sure you have it in hand,” Lucille sniffed, “but if it comes to that point, then we will not shirk our duties. What about the Esras? Will they commit their strength to this endeavour?”

“We will if it comes to that point,” Mori said hastily. “Ehem, let me continue. The Asheron’s purpose…”

“Is to capture seeds,” Tribunus Kaspar interrupted. “We know this already. They have always sought to reduce the plane’s defenders by turning them into their own strength. They have not succeeded in the past and they will not succeed in the near future. Not when we have our say.”

“Yes, but we have a dozen missing children, and nearly a hundred missing servicemen,” Mori half-shouted. “The Legion is remiss in its preparations! Why, you had to summon academy staff to help you hold the line!”

“Agminis protects more than just Rumiga City, please don’t mistake this point,” Kaspar answered coldly, “We did not expect Asheron to directly control the storm. Still, it must have cost them dearly to do so. An expeditionary force has been created to chase after the Asheroni while they are still within the vicinity of the Channel. We will take our people back.”

“See that they do,” Lucille said grimly.

“The storm is still in the plane’s vicinity,” Tribunus Kaspar continued. “It has pulled back from the barrier and is drifting generally north, parallel to our shores. We will need to deploy observers to keep track. However, once it goes beyond the Empire’s northern border then we have nothing else to fear.”

“That is all for the Chaos storm, then,” Mori Esras concluded.

“Thank you,” Lucille nodded. “Then I will speak of conditions in the Federation of the City-States of Rumiga. Our agents have noted some civil unrest in their southern cities. While we are not sure of the cause of this, some of its repercussions will be felt here. Ivala City has increased tariffs on essential goods coming from our end, which will make it difficult for our traders to make a profit compared to theirs. I propose we match the level of tariff on goods coming from their end.”

“What manner of essential goods?” Sharine asked.

“Grain, refined sugar, and honey.”

“Essential goods indeed.”

“Five percent is the current tariff, isn’t it?”

“Yes. I propose we match the fifteen percent they raised on goods that they normally export.”

“Kadrac beef, handicrafts, and spices,” Mori grunted, “those are our essentials.”

“We can live without them,” Lucille said, “but we cannot allow them to profit above and beyond what is proper.”

“I am reluctant, but I agree.” High Adjudicator Sharine nodded.

“What about you, Duchess Esras?”

“We concur.”

“So be it then. The increase in tariff will affect all goods coming up from Ivala and from Haveena on the other side of the Zarek.”

“I’ve long suspected that the Federation has funded the Assembly of Freethinkers. Do your agents look for evidence across the border?” Sharine asked.

“Yes, we do. But so far, either their involvement is nonexistent or hidden so deep that we cannot find it. Still, I wouldn’t put it past them. The Federation has always insisted on their right to the plane, claiming that they had come first here.” Lucille shook her head. “This sentiment is more prevalent in the southern cities where our influence and threat is not readily apparent. Their Council of City Lords keep their citizenry in check and have not made any aggressive overtures yet. However, Garamus City’s representative has been pushing for expansion to the north. Fortifications in the Aegeas Plains are all within tolerable limits.”

“Agminis does not observe any aggression in the Aegeas. They are content to fortify their side of the border. Even so, our trenches and carronade emplacements are secure. The Aegeas Plain is several leagues wide, our defensive structures cover the length and breadth of it. In fact, most of our strength is there, and at the northern forts,” Tribunus Kaspar noted.

“That’s it for the Federation.” Lucille continued. “Now we have some reports on our northern border. As you know, the Iron-Skin Tribe has been a persistent thorn in our side. The Celestial Refraction is coming soon and after that is their ritual obeisance to their land gods. Their annual raids to blood their warriors often happen in the middle of the Season of Water, but there are small raiding parties throughout the year. There are casualties to the local militia there and I move to bring more reinforcements to that area. There are also signs of the varied Tribes coming together in a horde and we must nip that in the bud.”

“Hundreds of thousands of Chaos twisted barbarians roaring down our countryside,” Mori remarked. “Too bad doing more than to increase our forces at the border forts will cost us too much.”

“Indeed, but more importantly, surveyors at the Cinderfield Hills have returned with promising results.” Lucille gave a small smile. “Samples have been dug and have shown traces of Jadeite.”

“Imperial?”

“Jadeite! Oh, Ancestors! We must secure it!”

Lucille nodded to herself at the furore.

Imperial Jadeite had many uses, and it was one of the backbones of the Empire’s Animatech. Rumiga had been colonized simply because the very city they lived in had a large deposit of jade and jadeite. Deposits that have long been depleted, unfortunately, with most of the minerals shipped back to Realmheart. The Imperial Capital voraciously devoured such resources. And out of the imperial machinery came Zoi Elixirs, Colossi, Arkships, and other wonders that made controlling its vast territory possible.

“We must send an expeditionary force as soon as possible. We must fortify the Cinderfield Hills!”

“That’s several dozen leagues north of the border.”

“Imperial Jadeite is too important. We must make an effort.”

Lucille settled back into her armchair, watching the theatre of greed run. Imperial Jadeite in its refined form was useless to her advancement, she knew. But raw jadeite may still hold fragments of Chaos’ secrets. Ennoia.

She would do anything to advance to Dominus. Only then would she be able to step into the theatre of the Empire’s greater powers.

Erasmus placed a cup of tea in front of her and she picked it up and took a sip. Perfectly sweetened to her taste. She nodded her thanks and the man gave her a toothy smile and a quick squeeze on her shoulders.

It looked like the council meeting would last a bit longer than she anticipated. It was a good thing she had cleared the rest of her day for this.

41