Vol 1 Chapter 3 – Reunion
115 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The faces of those within the village were eager, anticipating the arrival of guests. Parents with their arms crossed, children with happy faces, curiosity was in the air. Unlike the children, the parents had all met Hikari and Shana before. Roughly ten years had passed since Kira saved that girl under the moonlit sky. 

Above, the sun’s light burned the world, the heat intensifying, making them all feel as if time was ticking slowly. Hikari and Shana, as well as Setsuna and Kuro, were running late

In the end, the chief, who was doing his job for once, asked the women to take water from the village well and hand them out to those who wanted some. The wooden lid was slid from the thing, revealing a chilliness Setsuna had placed into it long ago, and water was drawn and distributed. Then the cover was slid back to protect the young children and the water itself.

To no surprise, the kids sat down, sipping the refreshing liquid as they waited.

Kira glanced into the distance with squinted eyes, thinking he saw movement. True enough, outlines belonging to four individuals came into view. There was a feeling inside the boy, perhaps from knowing Setsuna and Kuro all too well, that those arriving where those they were waiting for.

“Everyone, it’s them!” Kira announced.

A princess and her knight were almost here. The voices of excited children filled the entrance with jubilation. A fantasy soon to come true.

Opposite, Kira found the chief besides him, muttering and daydreaming, in his own mind clearly picturing something perverse in that almost-bald head of his. The argument between Kira and that pervert was an old one. Even if his memories were faint, he knew he had smacked the man with his words many times over to keep his perversion down. Yet, this time, what would Hikari think if she saw him next to such a pervert? Would she understand or would she hate Kira and the old man enough to leave?

Being next to a pervert could tarnish your image. In the end, he covered his face and sighed, embarrassed for himself and the chief.

“Honestly old man. . .” He muttered under his breath.

Though, there was a faint smile on his lips. The realization that, in the end, that some things never changed, and that was something to be grateful for/

‘I guess he won’t change anytime soon. Maybe it's not a bad thing. But, still, I wish he’d keep his gestures to himself.’

From atop the horses closing in, the crowd seemed like ants. Try as they might, the four individuals throttling closer with their stallions realized that distinguishing a person from another within that anticipating group of villagers would be a difficult task from their distance. Yet, deep down, Hikari knew one of them.

Keeping one hand on the reign, and maintaining her balance, the princess waved excitedly into the air, eyes shining in his directions.

“Kira!” She shouted with a face elated in joy.

She imagined it would be barely audible to the villagers, but that didn’t stop the girl.

Out in front, Setsuna led the group.

“I’m happy she can experience this outside the kingdom’s walls,” The man said.

“I agree,” Kuro replied. “If I recall. . .she wouldn’t leave Kira’s side. When her father came, she didn’t want to say goodbye.”

Shana joined in, nodding softly upon, as she maintained her eyes forward. “That does indeed sound like something Hikari would do. Ever since I met her, she wouldn’t leave my side.”

Then she drifted her head beside her, turning to the man she was still vigilant against.

“. . .Lord Setsuna, if I’m not mistaken, Kira is not related to you by blood?” She asked.

“You are correct, we are not related by blood. I knew his parents well, good people who didn’t deserve to die as they did.” Setsuna spoke directly about the matter, steady upon his horse. “When they left this world, I fulfilled my promise and took him in from the rain that day. I raised him like my own and taught him and Kuro how to write, to hunt, and to defend themselves-”

He paused as the words ceased from his lips. Perhaps melancholic about the memories he shared. Shana eyed the man, watching his calm face, yet his eyes, the one visible, still trembled slightly. It was a shocking matter, she thought, the strong-willed man who had showed little emotion since they met was hurting inside?

Setsuna regained his calm exterior.

“. . .me and my wife. Shana, might I ask you to not pry any deeper into my personal life?”

“My apologies, I did not mean to resurface unpleasant memories,” Shana replied. There was a piece of guilt in her heart, and thus she left the matter at that. Though, still, she was pleasantly surprised that the man, as famous and as calm as he collected himself, still had feelings within him.

Besides them, the quiet Kuro’s eyes moistened over his father’s words. Silently on himself looking at the man he shaped himself after. That sturdy being who rarely shook, but when he did, did so twisting himself inside.

“Father. . .” He muttered.

Setsuna had already recovered, or at least recovered to the point where the prior event failed to show on his person. Like ice standing unfrozen. He focused on the task at hand, leading the group closer to the first village Lord Atem and his guardians had visited.

As they approached, able to now be recognized, Kira’s eyes knew two out of the four riders. The man who raised him like a son and the one who treated him like a brother. He was forever in their debt.

Yet, he drifted his glance, gazing at the two girls and realizing the pink-haired girl brought about a familiar sensation yet out of reach.

—a case of Deja Vu.

Memories forgotten and jumbled was all Kira knew. It was hard to give a definitive answer but, still, that feeling of knowing her lingered. And, yet, pain stung his mind at any attempt to remember. On the off chance he could, it would assuredly be a haze, a mosaic of broken time long past.

He hated that part of him. Unable to remember the things he wanted to, nor the things he felt he once cherished. Though the villagers made certain that he was okay through the years, Kira stood, silent like a broken doll, a person without a soul. For what was humanity without memories to carry it on?

 

Setsuna and Kuro were the first to dismount. Casually, they went up to the boy. Kuro smiled, hand held high.

“Long time no see,” He grinned.

The hands clapped together into a high five and separated shortly after.

“It’s been too long,” Kira replied. “I hope you’ve been practicing since you left? Let’s have a duel.”

Kuro chuckled, eyes igniting at those words as his hand hovered over the hilt of his weapon. “Anytime.”

The adults sighed. It wasn’t time to fight.

With swiftness, Setsuna smacked Kuro over the head. The boy jumped in place and turned to look at his father.

“You still have a long way to go to,” Setsuna said.

“I’ll get to it,” Kuro affirmed.

Shana watched the two with a hint of surprise.

“I didn’t notice his movement,” She whispered. “In a split second, he moved that close, unnoticed, and landed a strike.”

It was something she should have noticed.

“Kuro,” Setsuna stated, “You know Kira has to meet the young ladies, yet you both wanted to duel right now? Let’s leave such a matter for tomorrow.

Kuro rubbed the back of his head as he responded, “Sorry.”

Setsuna nodded then turned his gaze to Kira.

“And you. . .”

Kira’s reflexively stood at attention.

“Yes!”

He expected a grilling of a lifetime, but instead, Setsuna nodded once more.

“I’m glad you’re safe,” He said. “Someone is dying to meet you. Go meet her.”

“Yeah, get a move on,” Kuro chimed in.

Kira smiled, nodded towards his father and brother, and walked to meet the two girls. Taught proper courtesy by Setsuna, he bowed before the princess and her knight as Shana descended from her steed.

“How should I address you?” He asked, taught manners or not, he was unsure what to actually say.

“I am Lady Shana, the personal knight of her highness. However, formality is no longer needed. Please, treat us as you would anyone else,” Shana insisted, following Hikari’s wishes.

Kira eased a little with her response.

‘That’s a relief,’ He thought.

Now fixated on the young lady upon the white horse, her captivating appearance sent a blush to his cheeks. As she descended with the help of her knight, Kira and her eyes locked. As if a puzzle was clinking to place, a piece of memory once lost resurfaced.

Two children stood within the forest that surrounded Silva, the silver light of the moon shining. One a girl with pink hair, the other himself. Though the words were quiet, he heard.

“I’m Hikari, what’s your name?”

Kira froze in place, staring at the now older girl before him.

“Hi-Hikari?”

A trail of a tear fell from his right eye as he sobbed that name out.

Hikari leaned forward with her hands behind her back.

“I’ts me, Kira,” She beamed. “I’m glad you’re okay.”

“. . .”

Kira, though recovered from the shock of the memories, and the emotions of seeing the girl standing in front of him, alive and well, couldn’t reply. He stood stagnant and lost for words as Hikari took a step forward, then another, arms wide opened.

‘Wait what is she doing? That’s—that’s too close—’

His face brightened pink as the girl embraced him. Obviously, he wasn’t used to such physical contact with girls. Seeing their sight, the princess smiling happily as she took in his warmth, alarms rang in Shana’s mind as she too blushed.

“P-Princess! No, Hikari! This is no place for such a sight!” She spoke quickly, sloppily, voice rattling.

Being unprepared, Kira was already halfway to the ground. A soft sensation enveloped his body, as two round mounds pressed against him. It was safe to say that he was slotted between her ample bosom.

‘So soft. . .wait, I shouldn’t be thinking that!’

“Kira, I have missed you so much,” Hikari spoke, almost sobbed, as she stared down at his face. “You remember me, don’t you?”

Saying Kira was embarrassed would be an understatement. Saying Hikari wasn’t embarrassed herself would be a lie.

“. . .yes. I knew it was you. Seeing your face helped me remember what I had lost, even if it was just a piece of that day.”

Kira closed his lips, suddenly feeling a prickle shoot across his skin. No, they were the sensations of death stares coming off of the men of the village, jealous auras igniting. Easily, a dozen eyes were glued to his person, perhaps wishing to slice him into two and end his fantasy of embracing a princess.

“Huh. . .Hikari, I think you should stop now?” Kira pleaded immediately. He could defend himself, probably, but fighting a village of men was not something he wanted to do. No, he knew that if their looks could kill he would be dead.

“. . .”

No words left the princess’s lips. She was in the moment, eyes closed, enjoying the sensation of meeting someone after years of waiting. Certainly, she had no haste to speed things up. Haste would be for later. Right now, right here, the boy was in her arms and she didn’t feel like letting go.

“You’re lucky, Kira!” Kuro said.

“What should I do?”

Kuro didn’t respond, only chuckling with a shrug.

“You’re leaving your brother out to hang!” Kira realized.

Hikari opened her eyes.

“Kira, can you listen to my request?”

“What is it, Hikari?”

“Please promise that you won’t forget me again.”

Kira nodded. “Never again.”

Though he felt out o place making such a promise, he agreed to it. There was always a chance of forgetting, yet he still promised because those words seemed important to the young lady who seemed to have agonized over meeting him for a long time.

At that moment, cold air spiraled around the villagers, eliciting alarm as the shine of ice gleamed. Then, behind Hikari, stood the image of the village chief frozen in ice, hand reaching for the helm of her skirt to reveal a peek.

“You think about basic morals,” Setsuna pointed out as he glanced solemnly at the man. “I just saved your life.”

Shana’s blade gleamed silver at the man’s hand, the wall of ice touching and blocking the advance of her weapon’s edge. Her eyes narrowed at the village chief, certain he could hear her.

“Count yourself lucky,” She returned her blade to its sheath, then turned to the rest of the villagers. “Does anyone else wish to taste my sword?”

The men gulped.

Setsuna turned his gaze at them. “Well? Will you behave yourselves?”

“We will!” They shouted in unison.

Those remaining adults with some decency, wives and husbands, sighed. The children merely tilted their heads at the image of the frozen chief then laughed.

“Let me out!” He yelled. “This is abusing your elders!”

“It’s for your own safety, believe me.” Setsuna pointed out once more. “I’m no monster!”

Though the chief continued to whine, Setsuna merely sighed.

“The cage will melt in about 2 hours and you will be free. Stay and cool off in the meantime. I will not allow you to interfere with their reunion, lest you wish for death?”

It was at that moment that the chief fully noticed the image of the female knight glaring daggers at his figure, hand gripping the hilt of her recently sheathed sword. Shana really did wish to kill him. If Setsuna had not moved as he did, the old man would have lost an arm long ago.

In the end, he could only pipe down as Hikari addressed everyone, unminding of the events.

“To be honest, I’m a bit embarrassed. I simply haven’t seen Kira in ten years, causing my initial display.” She smiled, then proceeded. “My name is Hikari, first in line to Alas’s throne. I look forward to knowing you all over the next few days.”

Everyone gathered around her and a slightly perturbed Shana. Voices of children and parents penetrated their ears.

“Wow, a real princess!”

“Welcome back, Hikari, It’s been too long.”

“I hope you’ve been well, princess.”

Shana received some of this sincerity as well, mostly from the kids. She stood, wooden, eyes blinking at the little creatures.

“Wow, you’re so pretty!”

“A knight, so shiny!”

The knight didn’t know how to act. “Er. . .umm. . .thank you?”

The hands of little children tugged at Hikari’s outfit. They wanted to play, to make memories with a real, breathing, princess.

“Come come, miss! Let’s play! Let’s play!” They shouted almost in unison.

Hikari gently smiled at them and replied, “Yes! But what shall we do about our horses?”

Kuro piped up at that moment.

“Kira can take care of them, can’t you?” He shouted over the voices abounding.

Kira nodded. “Yes, I can. You can go play with the children, Hikari.”

By the time the princess and her knight were entertaining the kids around the village’s bell, Kira was on the ground, half-covered in dirt as he laid there, staring at the sky. Kuro’s visage grinned down at him, creating a shade from the sunlight as the boy offered a hand.

“Are you going to sit there?” He asked, amused. “You better get a move on.”

“Thanks, I needed it,” Kira replied as he grasped that hand, helping himself up.

Kuro noticed his smile.

“You seem happier than usual today,” He pointed out.

Both stood shoulder to shoulder, watching the two figures in the distance running about, playing tag with the village kids. It was, so to speak, surreal to see a princess dirty herself for the enjoyment of children, and a knight, though bumbling about with unfamiliarity, try her best to keep up with the kids running circles around her from a lack of inexperience.

Kira’s smile brightened. “I recovered a piece of my memory of Hikari, and I got to see her, and the kids, enjoying themselves. Of course I’m happy, even if I have to take care of horses.”

Kuro patted his back.

“While you do that, we’ll prepare something for our guest to eat,” The boy waved behind himself as he walked away.

 

Inside the spacious stable,  Kira, being successful in securing the horses, made sure they were comfortable. Gathering hay, drinking water, and some treats like apples before meeting up with the others.

But, someone wanted his time.

Blood dripped from his nose, splashing the ground red, and stopping his advance. A sharp pain shot through his head as he stood, staggering and breath rushing, clutching his chest. It felt as if the painful scar was beating, expanding, and ripping. It felt as if a sword was tearing into his skin. His vision burred and his knees crashed against the floor.

“Haa. . .haa. . .” He felt as if he was suffocating. “Haa. . .”

A figure appeared from the shadows of the barn’s corner.

A man stood there, perhaps in his twenties, perhaps in his thirties. He looked strange, transparent, but not completely so. Perhaps a ghost. Perhaps a spirit. He glowed in the colors of a rainbow, dressed in clothing fit for royalty, and, upon his face, a mask of white gold, matching his clothing, concealed his identity. A cape flowed from his back. The only clue as to his person were the two gorgeous eyes staring through his mask’s sockets.

Teeth gritted, Kira maintained his composure. Thoughts swarm through his mind, almost melting the pain away, but he felt no ill will from the stranger. Yet, his curiosity was still strong. Why was the man here in front of him?

“The everlasting darkness is returning, wishing to devour all. It looks to claim your humanity. Only blood awaits those in its way, becoming corpses under his feet. Trust in your current Guardians.” The man spoke with a voice impeccable to pin down. “They will remain loyal to you, defend you, as they did me all so long ago.”

The light of his body flickered, the colors swarm, purple, orange, red, blue, all those that made up a rainbow. Then. He vanished.

Kira blinked his eyes.

‘Was that Lord Atem? No. That makes no sense. There’s no reason he would come to someone as broken as me. Not to someone clinging onto borrowed time, waiting for his heart to beat its last.’

Kira, in the mindset of his thoughts, was forced out of his mind as he clamped his mouth shut, teeth tight, a sharp pain invading his left eye. Then it was everywhere else, crippling him in the hay of the barn.

Grasping his shirt, breath faster than it had ever been before, his other hand reached for his burning eye, its pupil shaking.

“Please, don’t look at me that way?” He pleaded as his eye flashed to one of divinity.

For a split moment, his left eye swam in the iridescent light of creation.

 

'Plot by Lord Atem, Written by LotsChrono'

 

1