Vol 1 Chapter 6 – Intruders
29 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chivalry. The word was a code. A vow knights followed from their hearts. They were soldiers who pledged themselves to protect the kingdom and its people. Brave warriors whose loyalty shined. Individuals who would lay down their lives for such a word.

Stationed outside Setsuna’s house stood Hikari’s knight, Shana. A devoted individual forever loyal to her princess, her childhood friend. Yet, she stood steadfast with her hand perpetually on the hilt of her weapon and a mind about with curiosity. What were they discussing behind closed doors? What was the secret her highness decided to keep from her? Shana would be lying if she said she wasn’t tempted to peek, but she resisted the urge. After all, though she was a human, a race of sinful individuals quick to temptation, she was above all a knight that trusted Hikari.

It is not my business to prune about in royal matters,’ She decided. ‘I am only a knight.’

Only a knight. A protector. Nothing more, nothing less. She was a devoted girl with a debt she couldn’t repay. The royal family, Hikari, saved her life as they did the rest of the royal guard. As such, their loyalty to them was stronger than any temptation.

Shana stood, finding that she liked the weather outside. The glow of the sun above highlighted her black hair. The gentle breeze fluttered her cape from moment to moment. She tilted her head back and glanced at the serene, blue sky.

‘I wonder if the discussion. . .’

Shana paused her thoughts as she heard footsteps behind the door. One, graceful and light, that she had heard many times over, clearly belonging to Hikari. The other, heavier, more direct, too light for Setsuna’s build, but perfect for his son, Kuro.

Shana shifted beside the door, her analysis correct as Hikari and Kuro stepped out of the house. Though, she was a bit puzzled why Setsuna did not follow them.

“Princess,” She bowed and rose, “Has the task your father set out for you concluded?”

Hikari frowned, hands on top of each other as she walked closer to her knight. She gazed into Shana’s crimson eyes. She admired the girl, forever following, serving, and risking her life for her. Yet, there was also regret for the all-too-serious girl.

She pouted slightly. Being outside the kingdom’s walls, she had hoped Shana would find time to relax, if only a bit. With Setsuna around to deter most that would seek to attack, she thought Shana would find time to enjoy herself as a person, not a knight.

“You are correct, however,” Hikari spoke, sharply, “I have finished informing Setsuna of my father’s request and I will inform him of his answer later.”

Shana blinked her eyes.

“Why did you bow to me?” Hikari sighed. “Why did you call me princess again?”

Shana instinctively reacted, wishing to bow, but stopped herself.

“Sorry. . .Hikari,” She said, lowering only her head.

Hikari smiled.

“That’s much better, isn’t it? My name sounds much more soothing than my status.”

Shana smiled in return, and nodded. “Hikari, do you know if Setsuna will join us later? And what he is doing in there?”

Hikari paused. She knew somewhat of the reason the man stayed inside. Though, it was something she couldn’t inform Shana of. Her hands were tied. The thought of having to lie to Shana was a painful one. A guilt ridden one. Yet, sometimes, the hardest things to do were needed.

“Shana, I wasn’t the last person to speak with him,” She replied, voice hiding her nervousness. “Kuro spoke with him last. Right, Kuro, do you know when he’s going to meet us?”

With a glance she tossed the question over to the boy by her side. Kuro stared at the two, gulped slightly, but still spoke.

“Yeah,” He said, “My father will join us later. When I, him, and Kira investigate the forest.”

Though both disliked telling lies, they recognized that some things necessitated secrecy. Kuro lied for Kira’s safety.

“I see. . .” Shana replied.

She didn’t buy their words in the slightest, but she saw no reason to press the two. She simply allowed them to think they had fooled her. After all, she was an understanding girl, who knew that not everything needed to be told.

Hikari stood, watching the children of the village as she thought about seeing Kira once more. If he was with them, with her business done in the  village, she could speak with him as much as she wanted.

“Kuro, let’s go find Kira,” She said. “Get him to join us and visit your mother.”

Shana turned to the boy. “Do you know where he is?”

Yet, Kuro wasn’t thrilled with their ideas. He frowned, then turned his glance away from them, hiding his gloom.

“We. . .we shouldn’t invite him,” He muttered. “It’s best not to ask. . .it’s a sensitive subject. He feels visiting Yuki without any memories of her is disrespectful. And, to him, its best that he keeps a distance.”

“That’s-”

Hikari paused. She realized why the boy had shed a tear at seeing her, remember her face, and her name. At that moment, perhaps she had been too caught up and hadn’t realized what it meant to him. To her, she was grateful she could be recalled. And, yet, she had told him to never forget her again. A vow he gave that he wasn’t sure off, likely pained him, and yet he gave it.

“We should comfort him,” She said, determined, “We should-”

“No,” Interrupted Kuro. “You didn’t hear this from me. You never show him pity. Showing him something like that would only admit that you agree with his thoughts. Telling him that you’re sorry for him will only tell him that he is broken.”

He sighed.

“Everyone wears a mask, Hikari, to hide a shadow of ourselves. And none more complex than Kira’s. I believe with my father that he’ll break through in time. In time. And you,” He stared into Hikari’s eyes, “You’re one of the keys.”

Hikari bit her lips as she clutched her hand, struggling to come to terms with Kuro’s words. The intensity in them. The emotions of care flowing through. And the strength his glance gave her.

“I had no idea he was hurting so much inside. . .” She said, lowering her head past the grace of a princess.

“Hikari. . .” Shana said as she watched the shaking girl. It looked as if she would move at any moment towards wherever Kira was and try and rip off his mask. She shook her head. “I agree with Kuro and Setsuna’s handling of the matter. It’s best to trend lightly when dealing with something concerning the mind and the heart.”

Hikari raised her head and glanced at the two. There were lingering tears in the corner of her eyes, which she wiped away then nodded.

“Okay, I will take both of your advices,” She said, “In time, I hope Kira opens up.”

Kuro nodded, grateful that she understood. He nodded at Shana, as well, thankful for her input.

“This way, then,” He instructed the two. “It’s around the back of the house.”

 

As the three moved to visit Yuki’s grave, Kira stood within the village, pondering after Mariko left. Still trying to understand her words. Yet, in the end, no matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t and gave up.

In the end, he decided to focus on finding Setsuna and Kuro. He walked across the village, posture and face calm. Soon, looking between villagers and children at play, he spotted Setsuna exiting the house’s door.

The man sensed him immediately when Kira walked closer.

“Is something wrong?” He asked.

Kira was puzzled. Setsuna was calm and his presence stronger than usual. He wondered if the man already knew about the findings. If he was just wasting both of their times. In the end, he decided to speak as he could not keep anything from Setsuna.

“Yes. . .but I reckon you might already know what I’m about to say?” He asked.

Setsuna looked into his eyes. “The tracks located in front of the forest’s entrance?”

“You’re as sharp as ever.” Kira smiled, relieved. “As I thought, you already know of the possible threat.”

Setsuna nodded.

“I discovered them with Kuro this morning before meeting our guests.”

“And what will we do about it?” Kira asked.

Setsuna glanced momentarily, left past the village and towards the forest. He returned his gaze a moment after, a trace of determination in his eyes.

“I shall greet the intruders with Kuro,” He said. “They threaten to break the peace and order here.”

He paused.

“Huh. . .” Kira muttered.

Setsuna continued his words, but this time shifting his tone and direction.

“I’m impressed of how you handled the findings. You caused no panic.” He pointed out that fact with contentment in his tone.

Kira spoke at that moment. “. . .do you know my request, sir?”

“You want to come with us.” Setsuna nodded. “Very well, I believe it time you visit the forest, together.”

Elation encapsulated Kira’s face and he smiled.

“When are we going?” He asked.

“In a few minutes. Though, I suggest you see Hikari before meeting me and Kuro at the entrance.”

“Where is she? With the others?”

“Yes. They’re visiting Yuki’s grave.”

Kira’s lips tightened at the mention of the woman. Since his condition worsened, memories drifting out of his reach, he had not visited her. The years had gone by he lamented his inability to remember Setsuna’s wife, someone who had taken care of him as well as Kuro. Visiting her. . .visiting her felt like a lie told to himself and those around him. What would he say when he saw her grave? What would he do? What could he do besides stand and watch a memorial of a person he couldn’t remember?

“I see. . .” Kira said.

Setsuna, though noticing the boy’s distress, began pacing away.

“Remember to say goodbye to Hikari. She is a good girl who worries for your sake.”

Kira nodded, digging and clawing himself momentarily out of the fractures of his mind.

“Right.”

 

Behind Setsuna’s home, amidst a flowerbed, a gravestone stood in the shape of a snowflake. It sparkled, gleaming pure white under the sun’s light, created from a material rich in mana and once found in this land.

The name ‘Yuki’ was engraved upon the stone in gold.

Shana stood before the construct, wondering how Setsuna had obtained the material it was made from and how he had possibly crafted it into such a beautiful shape. In the end, she decided it the result of power and connections working in tandem for the woman he loved.

It made her want to know the reclusive man even more.

Then hers and Hikari caught sight of two bewitching flowers made of ice. The details on the stems, the curves of the petals, they were perfect. They existed, unmelting as the sun shined upon them.

Kuro smiled as he watched the two shocked girls.

“The rock was a gift from the lord we serve,” He said, voice shaking slightly, “And the flowers were made by my father and me.”

Hikari, her hands gently touching the flowers, spoke, “They’re pretty. Though cold, I can feel the warmth you and your father placed into making them.”

Shana nodded.

“I’m impressed with your skills,” She praised, “I knew your father was a master. . .but it seems his gift and dedication passed onto you too. There is only one person in Alas who could do a similar thing.”

Kuro shrugged. “Thank you, it was the least we could do. After all, my mother touched everyone’s heart. And I’m grateful our lord left us a piece of his home to build her gravestone upon, and the materials needed.”

Hikari wasn’t surprised, but Shana was. She narrowed her crimson eyes. Their lord gave them this material so rich in mana? That was an expense she couldn’t imagine. How powerful was the one they served?

“Your lord must be impressive,” She said, “I would love to meet him one day.”

“Sorry, but our lord doesn’t allow any visitors at the moment. When he does, I’ll surely tell you,” Kuro replied.

Though she raised her brow, interest piqued, Shana nodded calmly.

“Please do.”

Kira noticed the trio immediately at the back of the house, seeing them paying their respects to Yuki’s gravestone. His minds began digging at his worries once more. Yet, he couldn’t allow them to notice that, so he stood at their far left.

Kuro, however, familiar with him, noticed his presence right away and walked over.

“Kira, you sure took awhile with the horses?” He mentioned, drifting away from any mention of his mother.

Kira smiled, his mask slipping back to place.

“Really, has it been that long?” He replied. “Sorry, I must have lost track of time. I helped Hina retrieve her teddy and told Setsuna about the tracks I found but, of course, he already knew.”

Kuro nodded. “Yeah, he’s like that. Though it’s still good you told him, better safe than sorry.”

“Yup.”

Kira did not mention the intense pain that shot through his body and eye within the stable, nor his struggle. He did not mention the thought of feeling as if his body was breaking apart in much the same way his mind fragmented. He did not mention the mysterious man that shined in luminescent colors. Instead, he kept those things to himself, deep and personal, close to only him.

Hikari’s face brightened immediately at Kira’s presence. She grabbed his hand and brought it closer to her, as if wishing to take all of him for herself.

“Thank you for helping Hina out for us!” Hikari beamed. “When she came for help with Mariko, Setsuna and Kuro told them to find you.”

Kira raised a brow.

‘If that’s true. . .was Setsuna testing me? Hoping I would find the prints in the midst of helping Hina?’ He thought, ‘Testing if I would come to him or spread panic?’

He smiled. Then, the feeling of unconformability welled up within him. Hikari stood far too close, her hand holding his. Kira’s eyes momentarily jumped about before regaining contact with her shining, passionate gaze that only saw him at that moment.

A blush spread across his face as he shook his head.

“No thanks needed,” He said, “I-I just did what anyone else would.”

Shana smiled lightly. “It’s nice to know that you can act like an adult when needed, Kira, unlike that pervert still encased in ice.”

The other three laughed.

“He is nice when you come to know him,” Hikari stated.

Kuro chuckled. “He’s also wise, .when you pick his advices right.”

Kuro glanced at them both.

“He will never change,” he said.

Shana, however, didn’t buy their words for a second. Instead, she rested her hand around the hilt of her sheathed blade.

“I’ll simply continue to await, should he try something,” She declared.

Eyes shifted as Kira, Kuro, and Hikari nervously laughed. They, with all respect, could not tell whether the knight was serious or not. Looking into her eyes, however, it seemed she might have developed a grudge against the man when she failed to lope his arm off after he went after her highness.

“Kuro,” Kira broke the atmosphere as he turned to his brother, “I just remembered. It should be about time for us to join Setsuna.”

“Right. We should get a move on,” Kuro affirmed.

Kira nodded and glanced at Hikari. Though he found the words difficult to escape his lips, he still spoke to her with an edge of confidence to his tongue.

“I’m sorry we have to leave,” He apologized, “But we must.”

Hikari shook her head.

“I understand, we will wait for your return,” She replied. The emphasized, “Please be careful.”

Kira nodded.

“Of course. When I’m back, I’ll make time for you.”

With a final goodbye, both Kira and Kuro left and headed towards the forest’s entrance. As she watched them depart, Hikari frowned, her face dropping and losing its strength.

“They will be fine, have faith,” Shana consoled her, “Setsuna will surely take care of them.”

Though the knight knew the man very little, she knew the tales of his strength, and she had experienced, first hand, the chilliness of his aura alone. Something that had caused her to draw her blade and ignited a wish to duel him.

Hikari nodded.

‘Setsuna, please watch over them.’

 

Kira and Kuro arrived before the two ancient trees and noticed Setsuna immediately. He stood, eyes closed as he took in the surroundings as if he were a statue, a part of nature itself. Both arms placed behind him, he had waited patiently for them for however long they had taken.

Sensing their presence, his eyes opened.

“Kira, I have one condition,” He spoke immediately, though not rushed, “You follow my orders.”

Kira composed himself.

“Yes sir!” He answered.

Setsuna nodded and turned around.

“Come, then.”

The three entered the forces that once dripped in the fall of a fallen, pure darkgress. The sun founds its way through leaves, highlighting the place. Setsuna took the lead as they ventured deeper into the territory, trees and foliage as far and as much as the eye could make out.

He halted and the two followed suit, caution running through their blood.

“Kira, Kuro, is anything strange to you two?” Setsuna asked them.

Kira paused. Thought for a moment. Then spoke.

“There is no sign of life. No sounds,” He replied as he took a glance at his surroundings. “It’s too quiet.”

Kuro agreed, “In a forest, there’s nothing stranger.”

Setsuna returned his gaze forward, picking up movement ahead.

“Be on guard,” He said, “I believe we have guests.”

A large, circular, clearing greeted them as they walked forwards. At their backs came three figures. Another blocked their front. Each wore black cloaks that hid their appearance. Attires that seemed to blend with the shadows of the forest.

Their murderous intents pierced through the air as they grinned, daggers in their grip dripping with a coating of poison. They wished to kill. Loved to kill. A game which excited them.

Kira and Kuro drew their swords immediately, faces flickering with caution. Yet, Setsuna had no shred of worry, arms still behind him. To him, the situation was still under his control.

“Greetings, I am Lord Setsuna and these are my sons, Kira and Kuro,” He spoke calmly, but loud enough so that all those there could hear. “Can I assume you are the leader?”

In front of him, the tallest assassin stood with a smirk dancing on his lips.

“Look at this gentleman.” He chuckled, causing a wave of pronounced laughter from those behind the trio. “Very well, I am indeed the leader of these fine troublemakers!”

His arms spread as if he were showing off his prized collection of pets.

“Might I ask your targets?” Setsuna inquired. Since the man seemed rather eccentric, there was no harm in trying to confirm his assumptions.

“Kira, Princess Hikari. . .” The man said as his grimly smile deepened, “And the recovery of a relic.”

Setsuna nodded.

“I see. . .”

Though he was calm, Kira was not. Why had they mentioned his name? Hikari, he could understand, she was the princess of Alas so that made sense. But him? He was merely a village boy with hazy memories.

‘I’m a nobody,’ He thought as he stared at the leader of the assassins, ‘. . .is it just like that masked man said?’

The cloaked figure moved his hand and displayed his dagger.

“Why don’t you hand them over?” He said, “And we shall let the rest of you go. Isn’t that nice of us? We wouldn’t even attack the village any longer. A good deal? No? A kind deal, no?”

Setsuna was unimpressed with the sugar-coated words of the man. He knew their type. Since when had assassins ever left witnesses? As soon as they were entrapped in this circle, he knew a battle was bound to begin.

He smiled.

“You may not wish to hear this, but I swore an oath to protect Kira. As such, I won’t be handing him over. And I won’t give up Hikari, nor the relic,” He replied, smiling confidently.

“Cocky bastard!” The boss spat out those words. “Very well, then we shall kill you all!”

The leader gestured Setsuna followed him.

Obliging, Setsuna gave his orders as he was led further into the forest, confidence in his tongue.

“Kuro, please only knock them out, I wish to have a chat later,” He said, “As for you, Kira, I shall not be long.”

Three assassins remained as the air grew with tension. Kuro and Kira stood, ready for the fight soon to break out.

“Kira.” Kuro grinned. “Like ten years ago. . .you got my back?”

Kira didn’t remember, but he smiled nonetheless as he gripped his sword tighter.

“I will always have your back.”

Kuro chuckled.

“Let’s do this then!”

 

'Plot by Lord Atem, Written by LotsChrono'

1