Chapter 11: The Witch House
1.4k 6 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 11: The Witch House

The silent hut stood alone as it slept in the embrace of a persistent shadow. The motes and slivers of light kept reaching, but the house kept hiding away. And similarly, its windows stayed dark aside from the wavering light coming from within. Flame flickering, a candle shone enough to illuminate the dust trails and uncanny webs clinging to the hut.

'Gulp.'

Is this the place? I won't lie. I also felt scared. A witch might be cooking humans here. Hoho, my imagination is running wild. I do best with logic, but ever since I arrived in this world… screw logic!

Even so, it's now or never for me. Hunger had ruled my train of thoughts, rebelling against the strongest of fears. With light-footed steps, I went nearer as a moth attracted to the dangerous flame. I readied myself to enter the flames. I thought I was brave enough until…

"Nuhhh! Hmnff. Argghhh." The echoes felt familiar, the muffled exclamations of a gagged mouth. A chill stabbed my heart, making me stop on my feet. I shuddered. The sound of a man under torture crafted a scary picture in my mind. Sweat trickled from my brows as my face slowly turned ashen white.

I looked around, gazing at the thick dust and webs, poking them with my finger. Oh, don't let me start with webs. Don't tell me an eight-legged creature named Charlotte lives here? It was the sign of the olden years. Not even a week of scrubbing and cleaning could shine this piece of sh*t. Oh, sorry for the word. I mean dirt. Ah, can I run?

"No, I'm already here." Both curiosity and hunger had grasped the best of me. I was like an ever-so-curious feline ensnared by catnip. There was no going back. But in my case, it was the scent of wonderful food, torturing and luring me to my fall.

I crept around the hut and saw an open window, flickering lights coming from within. I puzzled about what my next steps would be. I desperately wanted to take a peek. This aunt had never felt so curious in my life.

Is this the effect of my transmigration and getting a younger body? If I was still the same Leonora as before, I surmised that I'd already been a few kilometers away from this spooky place. Then I'd activate my connection with the police and military to send the SWAT and the tanks in. Unfortunately, I wasn't on Earth anymore.

It's now or never. Steps still hushed, breathing silent, I elevated my head to get a brief glimpse.

"Ah, this thrill and excitement is the same as when I first tried bungee jumping." I licked my lips and took a peek. What I saw was a flickering red candle; its flames dancing with the faint wind blowing through the window. On the side, a gigantic cooking pot akin to a witch's cauldron stood, bubbling. I slowly lifted my chin to get a better look. It was the source of the mouth-watering scent.

My eyes brightened for a moment before dimming again.

"Hmf."

"..."

I hid, putting my hands over my eyes. 'What the hell did I just see?'

Three men hanging upside down, their legs tied with vines. No shirt, only a type of loincloth hiding a certain extremity. All three of them shivering, gagged, and exposed to the cold air. I gently put my palm on my face. A frown formed, crafting new mountains and valleys. "These idiots. Are they about to enter the big pot?"

Should I save these three stooges? They had saved me, after all. I took another peek, but this time, another eye met mine. I almost thought it would pop out when he saw me. I lifted one finger to my lips, expecting him to keep silent.

It was Eyad - the praying mage.

"Hmmffd, Fmdmasda, Fsahdh."

This stupid pig brain. You dare sell your savior! Stay still or this auntie shall crush you with my chaotic tongue-wagging. My eyes grew three sizes as I made eye signals. This stupid guy. I thought he was smart after doing some pyro-sorcery. But oh hell, I was dead wrong.

Whack.

"Arhhhhhhh."

"What are you getting so jumpy at Eyad?!" The icy voice of a lady drifted into the dusty witch house. I can only see her back, a broom, or wand laying on her small hand. It's a broom, I bet. A sacrifice, a broom, plus a cauldron. I also saw the eyelids of the other two men twitching as if they were the ones who suffered the heavy blow. It looked like they hadn't seen me yet.

I winced, my face crumpling like never before. Such cruelty. I want to pray for Eyad despite his act of betrayal. After all, his nuts got busted by some staff or whatnot. Eyad was squeezing the balls between his legs, the anguish crumpled his face like an old toilet paper.

The blacks of his eyes almost flipping onto the other side, wanting to see what was in the back of his white eye. This guy must be praying now. Wish that your poor boys are still alive. Your future generations are at stake.

Anyway, serves you right, poor guy. You almost sold me out there.

Pui!

Now, should I save them or not? I'm in a big doubt here!

I don't even know if I can even help them. The three mercs are powerful people based on what I know and experienced. Yet, they still ended up tied, gagged, and played by the witch. Maybe I should hit the road and escape.

Umu. This is a tough decision.

I love to take another peek to give the other two a signal. Ready to take another risk, I gulped and wore a brave face. My heart beats speeding with no red light holding them back. But how do I save them?

Turtle-paced, I took the chance, peering into the corner of the candlelit window. I held my breath. The chilly wind blew along my back as creeping shivers struck into my thoughts. Now or never!

Eyad seemed to have lost all signs of consciousness. Sympathies to the poor mage. I put my hands together and added a prayer. Shifting my gaze towards the other side, I saw Aron and Andre still shaking after witnessing the merciless deed. Not that I care much. Shake all you want!

I caught sight of the witch. I could also see an old book sleeping on her right. A cute plushie doll laying on a small table on her left. That must be her voodoo doll and grimoire. It made my heart almost miss a beat. Damn, so cute! This world's witches are so unique. I like it!

Time to put in the effort. I lifted my head, good enough for the other two to see me. I waved, lightly swaying it like a leaf against the wind. I must catch their attention. Ah, it looks like they saw me.

The plan is no plan. I can't think straight due to hunger. So, I'll sneak in and take a scoop of the soup in that cauldron and think later. As for the three dangling stooges, I’ll think of a way later.

I raised a finger to my lips. Please, don't be like Eyad. I thought.

Aron's and Andre's eyes widened like saucers. Yes, same as the probable new eunuch, Eyad. I wonder if they will also try to sel-"

"Hmmmgff."

"Hmmngdgggggghgh!"

"…"

A chilly voice passed through my ears, "What? You want some whacking too?" The frosty voice returned. But this time, far chillier than before. I even quivered after hearing the witch's furious voice reaching my ears.

Then the two stopped. I want to learn that too.

I saw the two gazing at me as if they're pleading for me to save them. Whew. I know, I know.

I gazed at the two and smiled, raising a thumbs up. But not so fast. My warm grin fell, turning into a scowl, my thumps up flipping down. "Not after you tried to give me away."

One could only betray this aunt once! I give no second chances for traitors! If you can troll, so can I!

"Hmmfff! Hmnffhhh!" The stooges' face dropped, realizing that I was about to make my great escape. The two shook their limbs, trying to break the vines, grappling them as they uttered nonsense through their gags. Hey, the struggle is real.

"Shut up! You fools want to be like Eyad?!"

Aron and Andre threw a glance at me, sending obvious signals to the witch. "Hmnff. Hmff."

"Fine!"

Whack. Whack…

"Ugh."

"Awuh."

So evil! Such a cursed witch! Showing no mercy to the eggs.

Thus, I, Leonora, now Victoria, turned my back. With an iron conviction, I sprinted. I shall dedicate my escape to you, my brave friends. The faces of the three when they got whacked flashed. The image burned into my neurons. I shall never forget your betrayal and sacrifice!

That's what you get when you play with this lady. The last laugh shall be mine. Muahahaha. Wait? Why am I acting like a kid? Anyway, who cares! Hunger does wonders!

But before I could even run back into the dark forest…

Plop. Splash.

My dirty dress got splashed with water. Why is there a small stream here? I glanced back at the witch house, wishing that they did not hear the splashes I made. Please ignore me, Miss Witch.

"Who's there?!"

I froze, along with my luck. I lifted my ragged dress, trying to move away from the darn watery pond. "Stupid dress! So heavy!"

"Show yourself!" I saw the blots of golden light flying out of the witch cottage. They looked like butterflies - pretty. But it's not the right time to do some sightseeing. Running away is my current priority.

Damn, this aunty has got to think! Think! I need a plan. Oh, I know.

"Meow?"

"…"

"A cat? But no cat lives in the dead forest! No use in fooling me, you damn assassin!"

Of course, that wouldn't work! I lifted my heavy skirt, dragging it like a wet carpet. The plan is to escape back to the dark, creepy forest. Who cares about food? I can't save the fools once I'm caught.

Grr…

Okay, my stomach is as guilty as ever. Ignore that I said anything. Ignore!

I raced back into the dark forest, a pack of hungry golden butterflies trailing behind like wolves. I'm scared! Sarcasm intended!

The patches of dark, swaying bushes inviting me to come inside. The scent of dirt and poo raising a soulful call. The dark forest devoid of light, wishing for my presence. Hey, hey, hey, ain't this forest much scarier compared to this witch's territory?

My 200-hundred meter sprint became a jog, then became a walk, and I metamorphose into a slug. I bobbed my head, huffing. Do I really have to go back there?

I turned my head and saw the beautiful butterflies trailing behind me. As compared to this bleak forest, I'd rather have these beauties spirit me away. They appeared like Blue Morpho butterflies I saw in Central and South America. Not blue, but gold, and they shine for justice's sake! Shall I call them, 'Shiny Gold Morpho Butterflies?'

Hell, what's happening to me?! Why do I feel so muddled? Did someone drug me? Who? The doggo tree?

'Cough. Cough.'

"Huh?"

I glanced at my hand, which I used to cover my mouth. What's this sticky thing? The golden butterflies flew over my head, letting me have a splendid view. Blood?

'Arghh.'

A stinging headache buzzed my brain. Ah, I want to puke.

Swaying left and right, I can sense that I am losing my balance. ... What's this?

Thud.

Blood, goo, and saliva dripped out of my snout and mouth. My blurry eyes glimpsed a staff aimed at my face. My thoughts drift into the dark, to the abyss as I go… Am I going to die?

"You… wait? Victoria? I-is that you? I should..."


Thanks for reading. If you want to support the novel whilst having more chapters, please check out my Patreon. Credits to Rydenius and MarkofWisdom for the edits.

52