Chapter 13: Victoria The Villainess [2]
1.3k 6 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 13: Victoria The Villainess [2]

Time passed. Slowly but surely, I learned a forgotten foreign word called love. Yes, I fell in love. At this age, I already knew that my parents didn't love me. They based my value on what I could offer—my magic. But Edmund's care was different. It was pure. He even gave me a white dandelion, making me blush every time. It was a new feeling.

He even brawled with the old gardener for the mere dandelion, all to back his love up. Even though he doesn't tell me the stories behind his bruises and blackeyes. I heard the stories of his attempts to steal some flowers in the garden from the gossipy maids as if it was the back of my hand. Such a shy and stupid man. It's cute.

I reached fifteen, and Edmund was eighteen. The count's heir Edmund courted me for real. I don't know what he sees in me. I am not useful to him. Yet, he still cared for me so much that I'd feel unworthy. His sincerity was crystal clear. He told his father and even got permission for my hand. My parents didn't even ask for my opinion and agreed in a jiffy as if they can't wait to get rid of me. They sold me like a royal cabbage. Edmund's father bought me at a high price.

Still, I was glad that they sold me to a good man. I'm not dreaming that I won't be married off. As a royal and a girl, I was bound to be a pawn. Perhaps they'd only waited for the highest bidder who would offer better terms. Even the few picture books I read in the world called 'Ertho' backed it up.

Even so, it shocked me that the creepy uncle of mine had pulled some strings behind our backs. He helped Edmund's father to get my hand. The reason? Neither of us knew. Maybe it was due to pity? Or he just wanted to get rid of me.

It was a year of bliss. The happiest days of my life. Though I have neither riches nor glittering gold, I felt like I found a purpose in life. Edmund was enough, I told myself. We live simply and innocently within the old castle's walls. I want to be with him all my life. Maybe I'll also share with him the secrets of my magic.

I continued to research my magic every night. Though one night, I unknowingly cast a mysterious spell that brought me to an impressive figure. My first encounter with a powerful lady. Her name was 'Leonora'. She had a long ash-gray hair tied in a trendy messy bun, a slightly aquiline nose, plus her awe-inspiring brows.

At first, I felt intimidated by her until I saw her slouchy attitude in her palace. I am glad she can't see me though. She doesn't have any magic, but she somehow inspires a suffocating presence. Even those old uncles and young ones seemed to fear her. May it be a man or a woman. Once she passes, they'd somehow tremble. Her husband or partner even fears her. My eyes twinkled in awe. What a fine lady!

Even so, I never thought that my encounter with this lady would change my view of ‘Ertho’. In a blink of an eye, the proud Leonora deserted her profession. I don't know why, but she's quite bored with her job. She went to a magical palace, a hundred goods lined up for her, a few noble and royal-looking people within the vast palace.

Leonora entered the shiny boutiques one by one. I knew it, she's a royal! She bought a large weird-looking sack called a 'bag'. I saw her lips rising, her eyes dancing like stars. She's happy. I don't know why, but every time I dream I always end up in unknown places with her. I saw the wonders of her world. It was marvelous, especially for a lady like me. A lady who lived all her life in stone castles.

Another year passed, I was already sixteen. I'm already an adult based on the kingdom's standard.

It was snowing when Edmund and I received a letter from the royal palace. A royal invitation. It was to formalize our betrothal and wedding. According to the terms, my name shall be blotted out of the royal lineage as one of the conditions. I wasn't fit to be there. Even so, they'll need my consent to strike me out of the Book of Royals. I'll be treated like my uncle. Only a dark blot in the royal history. It was part of the deal so that I can be married off according to my wishes.

I wonder what's in the king's mind and the other royals. There's no benefit in removing me from the royal lineage. Is this their useless pride acting up? Or is there a bigger issue involved? Even so, it wasn’t a terrible deal for me and Edmund.

Thus, we accepted the offer and had set our visit this coming spring.

The spring came in a flicker of my eyes. Wearing a simple white dress, carrying no signs of being part of the royalty, we traveled. I am prepared to both lose it all and gain it all.

For Edmund and me…

… and that day was the biggest mistake of my life.

I arrived at the great capital of Carmandy, the Royal City of Ariowell. The never-sleeping city that had once served as my home. Nothing much had changed, especially the useless grandeur of the castle. My hands turning into a ball, flashing memories of my childhood finding their way, awakened from their long slumber. The bad and good intermixing, a cocktail of emotions pouring out again. Hope? Fear? Anxiety? I wonder how Leonora would handle it if she was in my situation.

Will she feel the same as me?

I gazed and reminisced until a warm hand touched mine. I lolled my head sideward, meeting the gaze of Edmund. The silly man looked like he was worried about me. I smiled, saying, "I'm fine. Just memories."

The massive castle gates opened and saw the gemstones, which I once thought were beautiful; they weren't as shiny as before. I found no excitement in those useless glitters anymore, only familiar memories. I had this hunch that once the ceremony was done, I'd never return to this place again.

I entered the king's hall. I saw few familiar people, but also a lot of fresh faces. Time flies. A bow to the king, a simple audience for formalities. I saw the same old gaze of the family - the king, queen, and my sister. She turned into a great beauty. She had a long sapphire hair, a shiny thin tiara on her head, large watery eyes, luscious lips. Her long crimson gown draped and brushed onto the royal carpet with each step she took.

My blood family's eyes were still icy, but not as pricking as before. Everything went blank as I lost track of everything. A flood of memories flashed before my eyes. The king's word—'arise'—was the one which woke me up from my train of thoughts.

Soon, we were dismissed.

After greeting a few people Edmund seemed to respect, my magicless uncle led us into a large tea room. He smiled at me, bowing as he opened the door.

The moment we entered, I froze. In front of us was my father the King, a loose smile dripping on his lips. I don't know why, but he looked too happy for me. Maybe I am just dreaming. Shifting my gaze, I saw my mother, the queen, my sister, and a handsome man. I guess he's my sister's fiancé. The same comforting beam filling their faces. Their once frosty stares had already vanished.

In front of them were delicacies and tea. They had already eaten.

What's happening?

They led me to a couch with Edmund. From the looks of it, he was as shocked as I was. No one opened their mouth. They then took an enormous book out. Opened before the gazes of everyone, I simply knew what the next step was. Are they happy because of this? I bit my finger and blots of scarlet ink immediately fell, dripping into my wrist. My body moving on its own, "I, Victoria Rothfield Rosenberg, of royal blood, doth ask my name be blotted out from the book of the royals. It shall be until eternit-"

Thud.

My heart skipped, the noise catching my attention. Before I could finish the incantation, I threw a glance at the source, hoping the noise was nothing of much importance. Even so, my senses told me otherwise.

Draped in royal crimson, he laid on the ground. My father, the king. The room froze, tense, dilated gazes all over the king's crown as it rolled freely on the scarlet carpet. I stood frozen, a block of ice, unmoving while my hands trembled. Fate played another tune for me as my sister followed suit next to the king. Not yet enough, my mother, the queen slid from her seat. Light shone from her hands, the healing magic of blue colors flowed like the aurora. The handsome man, the possible betrothed of my sister, fell as broken as a leaf. His condition, as grave as the king.

All eyes zeroed on me and Edmund, yet we didn't fall. The waiting turned into a scowl. In a mere fifteen seconds, I felt the chains of fate sealing me. I hadn’t ended the spell. The royal book flipped and a thousand papers flew. Though I'm not blessed with a great brain. I knew we all had fallen into an open trap. My name was partially struck from the magical book. I stumbled backward as I watch my surname in the book, erased, not even linked to the royals. Then, my middle named burned, vanishing as violet flame erased it. The only word that remained was ‘Victoria’.

I turned around and watched Edmund, his thoughts failing to catch up. He was as shocked as I. Not him. But who? A glance to the left. Ah, it was him. A tint of beam hidden from those poisonous eyes. His eyes met mine, a triumphant scoff dripped out of his mouth. 'My dastardly uncle.’

A sly grin dwelled on his lips as he opened his mouth. A guttural voice filled with emotion stunned the entire castle. "Guards! Hurry! Assassination! The royals! Fast! Patricide! Patricide! It was the second princess and her fiancé."

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Mages and Knights burst into the room in a flash, with fury rising from their eyes as they watched the people they swore to protect laying on the cold ground. Still, I sensed a few were acting strangely. The gazes shifted to me and Edmund. Fury swaying in their listless and bloodshot eyes. My voice caught in my throat as the knights pulled their swords and the Magus their staffs. Time froze as I watched the tips of their weapons aimed at our throat.

A swift sword frizzled. I watched the plotter of this chaos spurting blood from his neck. Shock and disbelief were evident in his eyes as the sharp, merciless sword took his life. He died just like that. With a thud, the traitor died whilst pulling us along with him. All into the spiraling abyss of his machinations.

"Hide behind me, Victoria! Edmund pulled me behind him, hiding me behind his shadows. I heard his firm voice as he glared at the knights and the Magus, "Royal guards! Stop! It was not us! We're framed!"

It was a trap. A farce. My soul trembled and shuddered. Edmund pulled a sword laying on display, ready to defend. A few royal guards stopped… but not all. I heard a chant flow through my ears. It was one of the royal Magus. I saw a glint of maliciousness within those eyes. He wanted me dead.

[Wind Blast!]

I felt my entire world spin, my feet lifted from the ground.

Bang! My breath was forced from my lungs as I bounced off the nearby wall, leaving me gasping and coughing. My ears rang, disoriented, my consciousness lapsed into the abyss.

"Victoria!"

The shout had awoken me. If I can only go back in time. I wished I hadn't opened my eyes. But… I did.

Edmund's thrown sword had already impaled the nefarious magus onto the wall.

I lifted my chin and saw Edmund kneeling before me. His eyes were as gentle as a peaceful stream, staring deep within my soul. I stood dumbfounded and mute as four swords passed through his chest. He held the sharp tips with his bare hands, refusing to let them reach me. Bloody crimson splashing at my cheeks, he slowly reached out his hands to touch my cheeks. Edmund's face slowly paled, yet a sweet smile still waltzed to his lips. As the swords retreated, pulled out from his doublet, he fell into my arms. "Live."

The knights who impaled the count's heir seemed confused, but so I was. No words could flow out of my mouth as the stream of scarlet flowed, dyeing the thick carpets with the scent of scarlet rust. Only incoherent mumblings came out from me, "Hah, ah, ah."

Soon, another group of royal guards arrived. Frozen stiff, I heard none of their voices. They sound too muffled to my ears. They pulled me and Edmund apart. It was the last time I saw him. My love and my worst nightmare.

The royal guards dragged me out of the room and had me chained, sealed, and blindfolded. They threw me in an icy prison—never-sleeping as the terrible memories haunted my soul—day and night. 

Thanks for reading. If you want to support me, please check out my Patreon. Credits to Rydenius and MarkofWisdom for the edits.

48