Chapter 15: The Magus of the Witch Hut
1.3k 8 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 15: The Magus of the Witch Hut

The wide-arching room was far from what I had imagined. What my two eyes saw from the outside was nothing but a mere illusion. It was not some plain old hut. Far from it; the vibrancy, as well as the nouveau rich feeling coming from the room itself, was quite sinful.

I gawked, curious if I was indeed in the same hut or had been transported into some other castle or mansion. A well-designed red-brick fireplace warmed the four corners of the room. The curtains were carefully seamed to show utmost elegance through those colorful verbose threads. I could see a few gems attached to it. One look and you’ll know that it's shouting ‘I’m costly’.

Aside from that, my trained eye for premium products told me that these crimson couches where I was currently sitting were crafted and designed for rich individuals. Wait? Should I just enjoy this luxury and ignore everything? I'd rather describe this place as a home of a billionaire who just wants to make his house as grand as possible. The room was spacious, though not suffocating. It was around a hundred plus square meters. Yes, this room alone.

I'll find the truth soon. But for now, I better take a seat. Inhale. Exhale. And relax. I laid myself into the care of the lavish fluffy couch, letting my entire body sink in delight. "Ah, this place isn't so bad at all.”

The crimson couch was so fluffy that I was falling in love with it again and again.

'Yawn.' I'll rest a little. Only a little. I'm still trying to remember that weird dream. Why can't I remember it? But it feels so important… Maybe if I sleep again, the dream would revisit me.

"Ah, I can't stop anymore. I just want to take another nap…" I rested my eyes, letting my thoughts drift into the void.

Bang!

Like a frightened kitten, I jumped up from the cozy couch, wide eyes, gazing left and right. What the hell?! "What? What?"

Suddenly, a beautiful lady of the same height as me leaped, grappling, I mean hugging me. She almost made me stumble on the damn smooth floor as I received her unexpected bear hug.

She owned striking emerald-colored eyes, glittering brightly under the fiery embers of the hearth. Her hair was darker than the night as it swung from left to right. There was also a strange wizard hat akin to the witches of the old sitting atop of her head.

Though the hug was tight, I experienced a great warmth, making me choke up a little. No, I won't cry! Am I so hug deprive? But I hugged a lot of trees in my past life though when I was still a part of the tree-hugging society.

After a minute, she raised her head and eyed me from top to bottom. "How are you, Victoria? Did they hurt you? I should have been there! That stupid cousin of mine is still as stupid as she can get!"

The emerald-eyed lady pulled my hands, bringing me to sit with her side by side. In all honesty, I don't know what to say. Still, I could feel my hands shaking for some unknown reasons.

The real Victoria knew her—the fragments she left recognized her. I wasn't privy how, but I just had this feeling that it's the fragment she had left that was acting up. It wanted to take over for at least one last time. That was how I felt. After all, I could feel a quiver in my soul. Yes, for one last time. A wry smile formed slowly on my lips and I let it be so.

"S-Saria." I unconsciously opened my lips, and warm trails trickled, dampening the edges of my face. "I-I'm so sorry. Because of me. I-I."

Those were the few unconscious words that came out of my mouth as I gave up controlling the burbling emotions within me. Even so, those two words were met by a warm pat on my head. I ended up lost in her emerald-colored eyes. "I know what happened."

"I never expected that stupid uncle of yours would make a move soon." The lady frowned, a bit of guilt saddled in her words. "And I failed to assess how ignorant your father was! His wish to kick you out of the royal line slew him!"

I sensed a wave of great anger and irritation rising from her. It waltzed along with each of her words. With a sigh, she gazed at me. She lifted her hands and massaged her brows, stuttering. "I-I'm really sorry for Edmund and the Count of Cloves. I never thought that the mission given to me by your father was a ruse to make me go away. Ugh, damn it!"

"Edmund?" For unknown reasons, the words were uttered slowly from my lips.

I felt a great tremor rocking the anchor of my soul. My tear ducts broke, spilling all their reserves like a dam. A dose of images rippled into my eyes as the face of a shy man wandered into my thoughts. A distant memory. A piece of my heart saddled with guilt and pain. He was familiar and was not at the same time.

I unknowingly raised my chin and gazed at Saria, my voice shaking. "W-Why?!"

As the booming voice flowed out from my mouth, I sensed something shattering from within me. The soul fragment. I could sense that another crack exists in there. My eyes lost a piece of their luster and I had regained control over my body once again.

An eerie silence loomed all over the four corners of the room, leaving only the crackles of the fireplace to soothe the room.

"I don't know what to say. If you wish so, I can help you become the ruling queen. We'll kill everyone who plotted against you!" Saria's eyes turned sharp, her tone as deep as the sea's abyss. "That's all I can offer."

I, Leonora, turned Victoria, felt a chill flooding every inch of my body. I felt an intense bloodlust coming out from the stunning lady. I felt like I was being exposed to hundreds of needles all aimed at my throat.

The beautiful lady standing before me was a certified crazy. I deduced that she’s far crazier than all of the crazy ladies I've met in both of my lives. She's as serious as hell.

I took a deep breath and sighed, "Nothing's ever going to change if we do that."

"Wait, who are you?!"

I froze. Did she find out that I'm not Victoria? It felt like a fishbone was stuck in my throat. "I-I'm…"

The sharp glare zeroed on me as all the hairs on my arms stood ramrod like an army. Did I get busted?

"What's your complete name?" The archmage's eyes squinted, staring, full of doubt. Her cool gaze peering into the excess of my soul, lifting her fingers to her jaw.

"Victoria Rothfield Rosenberg."

"Good! Now, tell me, what's my name?"

How in the world am I supposed to know that? From easy, it rushed to impossible level question. Hey, that's not how things should go! Should I use appraise, but I heard she’s an archmage. That might make me look guilty. Still, I decided to go for it.

"S-Saria?"

"My complete name?" She flashed a bright smile.

[Appraise]

Name: Saria ???.
Job: Archmagus
Level: 80

The hell!? Hey buddy. Why do you always fail me? Where are the middle name and surname that I was looking for?

"I-I" Her chill-inducing eyes scrutinized me from the lilac-colored threads above my head up to the nails of my toes. No time to wait for a wise answer. A fast and straight answer might be for the best. I gazed straight into her eyes, taking a deep breath, conditioning, and calming myself.

"I don't know."

"Hah, I knew it!" She strode, taking a seat on the red couch in front of the warmth of the hearth. She sighed, glancing at me, her eyes meeting mine as if she was searching for something in my soul. Her expression, still and calm, a sign that she expected it all.

I walked with light steps towards the red couch. For now, I obeyed and calmly allow her to do what she saw fit. It was the best course of action.

Ah, she sighed again. I could see pity in her eyes. What the hell was this all about? I won't lie, I am getting quite curious and nervous here. After all, this beautiful lady called Saria had storm-like mood swings. She was quite unpredictable.

One time she wanted to raid and murder. She then asked my name for unknown reasons. And now she deflates like a balloon.

The moment I took the seat. She pulled me. My body moved along as if it was the natural thing to do. I felt a warm hug wrapping around me. An embrace I felt so familiar with for unknown reasons. And for another unknown reason, I felt extremely safe.

"Don't think about anything." A whisper waltzed by, carried on a light heave. "I know everything, don't fear. You can ask me anything, dear."

"Those dumb people had made you suffer quite a lot." She pulled away from the warm hug, gazing straight into my soul. "You have lost a part of your memories, haven't you?"

A simple way out for the first time in my damn otherworld life? "This, this…" I choked, a tear almost fell. Alas, fate was playing the good man card without putting me into an irrational situation.

Hey! If you're in my place, what will you do? Well, for me, I faked a damn tear and answered a damn… "Yes."

With that, my life as Leonora ended. Not with a bang or a coffin, but with a lie. Just as so, Victoria became me. My words showed I had already accepted my newfound fate and identity.

I was curious how the hell did Ms. Archmagus reach such conclusions? I wished to thank her for this peaceful way out.

"I never thought your uncle was as much of a bastard as your father. The envious wraith almost took you along with him," Saria uttered, her hands pinching the midline between her brows. "The thoughtless man killed a king, a foreign prince, almost killed his nieces, and poisoned the direct royal line. All while not knowing he was nothing but a pawn."

My eyes grew three inches wider after catching that interesting piece of information. I frowned, trying to fake my way out. The scent of conspiracy, I could smell it! I gained this sixth sense after watching too many romance and drama movies.

My innate curiosity was enough to make my lips flapped like a machine gun. "W-Why did he do that? A-And why can't I remember anything? Is there a magic that can restore my memories?"

The archmage observed me, slowly shaking her head as she watched my surreal acting.

"I… I still lack information. And unfortunately, I can't help you much with your memory loss. I have some torture magic that can make you remember, but after that, you'll get your brain toasted and turn into a fool. Want to try your luck?"

Of course, I shook my head so hard that it almost fell off. I only have one brain here, so I gotta give it a lot of love. "So why did I lose my memories? Did he cast some evil magic on me? How did you know?”

Saria looked at me, wearing a whiff of a smile. She then nodded. "Calm down. One question at a time. Although your bastard uncle couldn't do magic, the innate royal spell used to remove your name out of the royal line was all that he needed. The spell requires three things: your acceptance, your blood, and the chant ingrained in all the royals. And you must not be interrupted.”

‘That’s four.’

“Out of these three things, it seems like the cause of your memory loss is because your chanting got interrupted. The royal chant when stopped or broken midway can cause death or memory or personality loss according to what I read from the old records. Nevertheless, you are a rare case that managed to survive and lived. In any case, you are a miracle.”

Saria moved closer to me, gazing deeper into the so-called window of the soul. “I can even still see a few fragments of the royal spell on you."

The dream I had about a lady called Victoria was still with me. Though, it was already quite blurry and felt far. As if I was only an observer. Nevertheless, I could still remember tidbits about that weird dream. The random images were bugging me. I felt like it was slowly fading away as time passed.

It felt like some dream that you’re going to forget after you wake up. Yeah, yeah. I know it's a friggin’ dream alright. No need to slap it in my face. Damn! I don't like this feeling. I could still remember it all after I woke up. But now…

Wait, what was the dream all about again? A deep frown cruised through my face as I tried to recall the choppy images. Even so, all I got was a nice bout of headache. Maybe it's related to the soul fragment thingy.

Hah, why is my life so complicated?


Thanks for reading. Don't forget that favorite button. If you want advanced chapters, please check my Patreon.

Credits to Rydenius and MarkofWisdom for the edits. ^^

50