Chapter 16: Victoria’s Dilemma
1.1k 8 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 16: Victoria's Dilemma

The headache pounded, throbbed, storming straight into the back of my eyes. The pain pulsated as if a sharp needle had pricked the back of my eyes. The pain made me grit my teeth. It was terrible. The more I tried remembering that dream, the greater the discomfort.

Soon, I felt a light hand over my head, ruffling the lilac threads until it turned into a mess. I lifted my head and saw Saria watching me with a faint smile. "Don't try too hard. Your memories won't return unless another miracle occurs. Not by force. I'll help you and make sure your memory returns." Though she had a smile drifting on her face, her eyes were not smiling at all. "Then, let's raid the castle and kill everyone involved."

She looked blinding for a reason. That encouraging smile might have killed a lot of poor hearts, both men and ladies alike. However, her sweet smile felt a little evil to me. Between those angelic dimples, I could sense a bloody tower being built, one floor at a time. I thought she had already given up, but I was dead wrong.

Well, regaining the memories of Victoria might be a tad bit impossible. A wry smile drew a line on my dry lips.

I raised my head, curious about the maestro of all the chaos. The man behind the curtain. After all, it seemed like it was not purely from my uncle. "Can you tell me who's the man who did this to me?"

Transmigration 101: Once transmigrated, it's important to know who's on your side and who's not.

Upon uttering the question, I felt a chilly wind blowing. I moved my gaze and saw the crackling fires within the hearth, slowly running out of flames. I turned my head back and saw the face of Saria crumpling with anger. As if reacting to her anger, my eyes throbbed, acting on their own.

[Spirit Eye Lvl. 2 has been activated.]

"What the…?" I stood, mouth gaping, I saw an army of blue balls roaming in the room. All of them converging together, revolving around Saria as if they were celebrating. No, they were partying like there was no tomorrow. It was like the white shadow which I saw when Eyad burned the poor zombie, but this time they're far wilder.

The blue round beings appeared to have their forms and personality. Some were jolly while others were scoffing at me. They're getting on my nerves alright. They're acting like those useless directors in my company. Hey, don't think I can't see you!

Saria closed her eyes to relax her raging emotions. She took a deep breath, calming herself. The blue balls vanished, some even showing a feeling of discontent as they waved goodbye at Saria.

'What are those things? Can't Saria see them?'

The lady archmage threw a glance, finding my half-open mouth a bit strange. "What's wrong? Don't worry, I'll do my best to help you regain your memories. Anyway, it's the rotten prime minister… He was the one who…”

Her words stopped, and silence loomed for a reason I didn’t know. Saria’s gaze turned fierce, zeroing like I’m her prey. Oh goodness, I have a bad feeling about what was coming next.

“What happened to your eyes?" Saria rushed towards me, excited, not one bit of concern, but a ball of curiosity. Normally, I would expect some care to soothe my heart. But this damn witch and her bipolar disorder! Wait, maybe it's tripolar, but don't touch me. Hey!

I still know little about her. Despite that, I could see that this young and strange lady archmage truly cared about me. How? She's currently gazing at me like I am some precious experiment. There was even a tint of greed laying within those ferocious eyes. Oh no, baby, she won’t ever let me go.

It was the same familiar gaze that my good ol' crazy scientist friend threw at me from time to time before blushing. Believe me, that man had never forgotten to give me gastronomic delicacies during my birthdays. She's the same type of breed. So, I guess it's fine.

Or not…

"Hehe. Such a great living specimen." Saria’s words had killed all my remaining hopes.

I lifted my chin, acting like how those stuck-up royals act in those popular movies. Condescending but divine as I tried to get the higher moral ground. I must reign in her thoughts before it gets out of hand.

"Ehem. Dear Saria, I am a respectable spirit mage according to the knowledgeable but useless mercenary leader. Not a specimen. Though I remember little, please treat me according-ly…"

Oh no, she's losing focus. She doesn’t even hear me. Why the hell are her eyes getting shifty? That evil grin! It's familiar! Whoever spirit you are, I cast you out! I need a professional exorcist here. Ah, fuck? What in the marshmallow fluff?! Why do the shadows of that fat-ass boss still haunt me here in the otherworld?

"Don't worry, it won't hurt. Come a little closer, my dear niece. Come on. I'll give you candy."

Saria looked like an evil witch to me now. Every time she took a step forward, I took two steps backward. And before I knew it, my back was already against the thick wall.

"S-Saria? Hey! Please don't prick my eyeballs open, only a look, please! Respect my boundaries... Hey! Don't... Noo!”

From then on, I changed my name from Victoria to Saria's Experiment No. 1. Barcode XXXX.

***

Eyad's POV

The Witch Hut’s Kitchen.

Those damn traitors! We were supposed to be good buddies, but they left me here to go hunt! Not even waking me up. I feel like a slave rather than a respectable magus. Damn, I didn't study magic to be a chef and a house cleaner.

"Oh, it smells like charred bread. No, I gotta repeat it." A frown formed on my forehead. It doesn’t look edible; I’d rather eat shit than this black coal.

The bread must be nothing short of perfect. I guess I got to bake another batch fast. The cluckers egg is also ready to go. Sunnyside up or scrambled? Or Boiled? Hmnn, I'll add some tomato for the side dish. The plates are neat and clean. “Okay, good.”

I kneaded the dough, adding a little warmth in my hand through magic.

The bread must be incredibly soft after all the princess had just woke up. She might suffer indigestion problems if I feed her hard meals. Oh, a warm and light soup might be nice. Okay, let's prepare it. Where’s that damn cabbage, a little carrot, a pinch of salt, and some screaming mandragora for a spice of magic!

[Squeeelll!]

“Damn mandragoras are so hard to handle.” I flipped the knife, using its unsharpened backbone. I struck the screaming freak with the back of the knife. Again and again. “Die you! Die!”

Soon, the noise of utensils filled the entire kitchen, all in harmony at the hands of the cooking mage.

After the ordeal, I felt a lot of stress that I had been accumulating in the past few days, vanishing. As for the shrieking mandragora, it was as dead as it could be.

Hah, I'm really glad that the princess woke up. At least, I won't have to deal with that crazy witch anymore. Or else I might suffer from an untimely death. She makes me cook. Makes me clean. And damn, she’s not even paying for my crystal coins yet.

And despite all the hard work, she's still like an ungrateful block of ice.

Anyway, I think I should bring this food while it's still warm. Then, I'll go get that ball-busting witch! Peh, I'll get my revenge one day, you wicked lady! But for now, let me deliver the food.

I hope the princess would like my dishes.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

No one's answering.

I opened the door where I left the princess. Only a little, enough for a good peek. I stopped immediately before the door could even make a sound.

And I saw it.

I closed my eyes for a moment, trembling, wondering if I was suffering from some stress-related mana deprivation. Pinching my cheek until it hurt, trying to guess if I was dreaming. I was not.

After all, Saria, the youngest of the three still living archmagus of Endramion. The archmagus dubbed as the stiff-faced witch was smiling like a child. I'll be honest, I thought I was getting blinded by a ball of light. The honest and pure smile washing away all my evil thoughts. She looked as pure as a saint.

Then, I saw her pulling a weird sharp serrated object out of nowhere. She dragged out a large table used for skinning and processing beast corpses. With a spirited grin, she tugged the princess with force into the table like a baby chick.

"Oh, my goodness!"

She flipped my evaluations of her again. She shattered my casually established saint-like image of her like brittle glass.

"S-Saria? Hey! Please don't prick my eyeballs open, only a look, please! Respect my boundaries. Hey! Don't… Nooo!"

Yes, princess, I shall respect your boundaries… and of the witch.

There you have it. Honestly, I don't know what I shall do. The screams turned into squeals. I closed my eyes, joined my two palms together, and called for the goddesses' help. "Please keep the food warm for me, my dear goddesses."

Should I also pray for the young bitch? Maybe not. After all, I could still remember how my tough nut got shelled with a wild staff. Not once, but… Oh, the shudders. Let's dig a hole and cast these memories away. Though the archmagus had healed me with her potions, the mental scars remained fresh in my heart. I could still recall the painful experience. My flesh tingled, quaking every time I glimpsed that memory. That nightmare had made an indelible mark within the deep recesses of my soul.

Because of that simple misunderstanding, I suffered the worst fate. It even changed my motto in life. Before it was, "You might fail and suffer, but you can do it again."

But now? I changed it wholeheartedly. Now it is…

"Never again!"

Every swing was like a nail pounded by a dwarves' hammer. Ah, the pain and the agony. No one could fully understand except me, since, unlike the two lucky shits, I earned the full brunt of the witch's anger. The first strike showed no mercy at all.

I sighed.

I made my decision.

I stood at the door, waiting for their hardcore 'skinship' to end. Of course, I ignored the cries for help. I kept the food warm with some chore spells as I waited. Then I heard a series of screams. I moved my gaze upward and a sweet smile of revenge slipped on my lips.

"No!"

I nodded my head, whistling a little before breaking out into a grin. I couldn't stop it from emerging from my face. "Such a sweet tune."

It took at least five minutes before I heard the next call from the room. No, rather than a call. It was more of a roar. "Eyad! I'm so hungry, where's my damn food?! Now! Now! "

"..."

My revenge only lasted for five minutes. I guess it's already done. But oh, well, better than nothing. I pushed the tray towards the door and knocked.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Then I pushed the door like the gentlemanly magus that I was. Pushing the tray cart inside the room with ease and a light heart.

"Princess, your food is here." I seasoned my face with the most comforting smile I had ever done in my life. Let's play along as if I don't know that the witch is here. "Please eat it while it's still warm…"

Then, I saw two emerald lights gazing at me like I was some trash ready to be burned.

I shuddered, gasping for breath, sweat trickling from my brows. I felt like I was being watched by a ferocious predator, making me lose one or two breaths. A pair of emerald eyes were staring at me like I was a big nuisance.

She then rushed at me with displeasure. Her famous white-hued staff crafted from orc bones appeared out of thin air. She scowled while poking my neck with it.

Turning my head, I glimpsed at the princess. She had herself tied and bound. Her eyes calling for help. A dry smile drifted on my face and a thought flowed on my head. I grimaced. 'Damn, I had been caught in the unlucky princess' antics… again.’


If you want advanced chapters, please check out my Patreon so that you could read all that I had written in stock. Credits to Rydenius and MarkofWisdom for the edits. ^^

 

40