Chapter 19: A Year of Hard Work
905 5 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 19: A Year of Hard Work

The boisterous yet eerie caterwauls coming from the dead forest had woke me up from my saccharine slumber. Everything was perfect aside from the thoughtless undead who loved to growl like a morning fighting cock. They were so evil!

Damn it! Are they roosters or what? Or did they eat an alarm clock before they died? After waking up, I washed up before stretching a little. A little exercise to start a perfect day and get the sleeping blood flowing.

The next step was eating. Enjoying the delicacies prepared by our dear chef, Eyad. He remained in the witch hut after Saria offered him guidance. As for Andre and Aron, they continued their adventures. Nevertheless, the two still visit Eyad from time to time, bringing hunted games and letters.

After eating another batch of sumptuous breakfast, Saria led me to her study. The area where she would teach me everything I need to accomplish the desire of my heart.

The objective of traveling this new world. With Saria’s assistance, for the first time since I’ve arrived in this world – things were falling into the right places.

Of course, not before spending a few hours in her laboratory. Well, I can’t have the best of both worlds, right?

As soon as I entered her so-called study room, I froze. Sticking out my head out of curiosity, I choked at the sheer size of Saria's so-called study. No, rather than a study. It's better and apt to call it a grand library instead. So, I will call it that.

The scent of old paper roamed free as the loose spider cobwebs showed how long the place had not been cleaned. Dust drifted in the air with every small move I made, wallowing like the snow of winter. The bookshelves along with the thick old scripts it held had already accumulated a lot of dust.

The dust had even filled the carpets below to the brim. A clear sign of neglect on the part of the owner of this place. The owner did not care for this massive library at all. It's a miracle that I don't see any molds, pests, or plants roaming in this grand library.

Even so, the library was huge enough to induce awe. I raised my head and saw rows and columns of bookshelves. Not one without any book. The shacks - full and filled to the brim. Too bad they’re not used.

The books towered above me. The shelves themselves were at least thirty feet tall. The wood used seemed to be rare. I'm not familiar with it. Perhaps, a natural product of this world like that Dumblewood.

I shifted my head and cast a gaze at the owner of this forsaken place. Yet, she was nonchalant as ever, looking aloof and bored as she looked at the library of dust.

I might need to flex some muscles and do some hard labor. "Should I clean first, Saria?"

Saria lifted her fingers, intertwining her middle and thumb, ready for a snapping motion.

'Flick.'

Then, I stood, my jaw agape by what began transpiring before me. The dust-laden lamps lying on the side of the bookshelves flickered as if it was being awakened from a deep slumber. One by one, the small flickers glowed like small suns, shining all over the room. In a blink of my eye, the whole library's grandeur presented itself to me and Saria.

Not yet done. Saria pulled her a tall rod out of nowhere. Soon, bright complex circles shone on the tip of her staff. Unlike Eyad's magic, I couldn't hear any weird syllables coming out of her mouth. All as if everything she was doing was the same as mere eating. Saria was not even breaking any sweat.

A light breeze flowed throughout the room. The wind, filling and passing through all the nooks and crannies of the library. I looked at Saria as her mouth opened, "[Carry Dust.]"

All the dust and dirt shook for a moment. I felt like they're being threatened at gunpoint. Freezing before jumping up as if they had come to life. The dust had gained life, gathering together on their own, following the whims of the wind.

"Begone!" The dust and dirt rose, carried by the spirits of zephyr. I saw a window atop of the shelves opening itself. The gathered dust rose and flew out of the windows. In a count of ten, the window had closed itself with a loud clunk.

"Wow." I rubbed my eyes at the magical sight. I held my chin fearing that it would fall to the ground.

Eyes shining, I looked at Saria with awe.

Without an ounce of shame, she snickered, "My own created magic. A great spell right?"

No words where needed. I nodded my head like a gullible kitten. My eyes shone like a kid who had witnessed a live-action true magic show for the first time.

I'm feeling like Saria's title as an archmage was not only for display. It cleared some of my doubts. This show of strength had convinced me that she was legit. After all, which archmage would use a magic staff manually to whack eggs? If she was an archmage, she would have cast a spell to whack eggs instead.

It also dawned to me again that I'm indeed in a magical world. I better throw away a lot of my misconceptions starting now. I'm already not on earth.

"Let's go and start your lesson, shall we?" Saria strode forward, leading me to her so-called study.

I was tongue-tied as I watch her slowly moving forward as if nothing had happened. It didn’t sink in quite yet. Perhaps, for her, it was normal. But not for a lady who never believed in magic. An aunt who held contempt against the clowns of every children's party she attended. I mean, I loved the kids of my friends but not those clowns. My feet felt lighter as I lifted them. I threw a zealous gaze at Saria’s back. I strengthened my resolve, bowing that I would do my best. It’s time to follow her.

But before I could even start my first step, she stopped again and turned to me. Her lips perked up. "Oh, I almost forgot. It’s a bit late, but welcome to my humble home!"

And just like that - the mysterious and secret knowledge of this world had opened its door for me.

***

Time passed, moving like the grains of the desert, passing through my fingers. As usual, it moved silently in the background of Saria's grand library. I raised my head, watching the moving ticks and tocks of the grand clock inside the large library. The way time was measured in this world was the same as on earth. The flow of time might be an established law of nature for both worlds. The clocks were almost the same, aside from the thirteenth nub, rearing its ugly head between the numbers twelve and one. Until now, I simply can’t get used to it.

"This is tiring." I sighed. Though the passion within me still lives, I still found that learning a new system from scratch was on another new level. I now appreciate the earth’s systematic teaching of students after getting transmigrated in this world. I had realized that learning things in this world would cost a fortune. Though in this world, fortune was on my side since I didn’t even need to pay a single copper coin to Saria. All I had to do was lay down like a lab rat and wish she would be gentle with me.

“Where are you looking at, Victoria?” A tundra-like voice entered my ears. I watched the rabbling magus break my inner monologue. She wore her usual baggy clothes, oozing earth’s lady principal aura. She reminded me of the good old times, making me winced.

“It’s nothing.” Turning my head back to the thick book that I once thought was awesome. But not anymore. When you read a thousand pages, again and again, it won’t be as interesting as you expect anymore. Not one bit.

I, Leonora, now Victoria, had been staying here for at least one year. I never thought that learning from Saria would be quite a hustle. The lines on my forehead crafted new valleys and mountains every time I thought how difficult the lessons were.

Also, how difficult Saria could be. She was a perfectionist. One little deviation would offer me a nagging.

As promised she taught me everything she deemed necessary for the journey I plan to take. The history classes and geography classes taught me quite a lot about this new world.

The witch hut lies within the outskirts of the kingdom of Carmandy - a no man's land called the dead forest. A wonderful domain no one dare to claim. The undead lands were loved by skeletons, zombies, liches, necromancers, and heathens. After an intense study session about this world’s geography, I realized my kingdom’s negligible importance in this world. It had a tiny fraction of land, merely a size of a province, as compared to the other nations. Still, I don’t know how accurate the map was. So, I can offer the benefit of the doubt to its validity and accuracy.

Well, in all honesty, I never thought that this nation was an insignificant nation. After studying both history and geography from Saria, I realize that the kingdom had a puny reputation aside from its puny land.

The Kingdom of Carmandy was a small nation in the western part of the Endramion Continent. A country whose pride lies in its bloodline and lineage.

I couldn’t help but sigh. Idiots never die even in this world.

In a nutshell, a historically elitist nation was founded for elitists bastards. I scratched my head thinking how come these bastards feel so much pride despite being a small nation. I even wonder how this nation survived the passage of time.

Anyway, politically speaking, the Kingdom of Carmandy was a monarchy ruled by a King and the royal family. Not that I care much. What bothered me was its thirst for getting new powerful bloodlines to mix with.

My best guess why it's still standing as a nation was because of the great ability of the royals of Carmandy to form alliances with various nations. Not by money or riches. Not by glory. But through connecting their bloodline, tying it to other nations. A prostitute per se.

When compared to the real powerful nations, Carmandy falls far short. They do not have much to offer aside from some magical mines and a few connections.

A good example of a powerful nation was the Empire of Langarde who boasted the most powerful military in Endramion. A classic war knucklehead. Even so, they had the smarts to choose the wars that they're sure to win. And most of the time, it's against the other races or weaker nations. A bully per se.

What the empire cares about were its honor and glory.

Another powerful and interesting nation is the Free Trade Union. Rather than a nation - it's more of an organization comprised of semi-independent states. Each state had its own state leader with its own policies.

The thing is… they’re rich. Filthy stinking rich. How I wish that I was transmigrated over there. Let me be a bullied daughter who will rise from the ashes and become a phoenix.

Nevertheless, based on what I've read from the history books, these guys are not strongly knitted together as a nation. They're even experiencing quite a lot of internal infighting. Some stupid rich sons kicking each other per se.

What this nation cares about were money and profit.

There's a lot of other nations within Endramion but these two stand out the most. The two nations also shared a border with Carmandy. According to Saria - there were other continents in this world waiting to be discovered.

But for now, she told me to study the whole Endramion first. She’s right. I need to chew and digest information one at a time. “Done!” Tapping my fingers on the thick book before me. I caressed the book, gazing at its title – Guide to Endramion’s Landscapes and History. The title itself shouts of boring! I only finished reading it now in all truth. Through the otherworld language skill, I could understand the words of this world.

I've read what I needed too. And what Saria wanted me to read. Oh, Saria's taxonomy class was also interesting. I discovered that the giant cauliflower that ate me was a true prick of nature.

Even so, it was a herbivore. So I and the trio got pooped out in luck. Shall I call myself a lucky poop? Meh, I feel like laughing for some reason.

Treant of the Dead – the name of the first monster who ate me. A stuffy and corny name in all honesty. The cauliflower got its name because of its love to roam in silent, dark, and moist forests. Especially in places where undead rises.

There were other mysterious plants described in one book that I've read. The book titled 'The Mysteries of World: Plant Edition.'

My taxonomy lessons included a lot of other magical plants and mythical entities. Some of them even appeared to exist on earth and the imaginations of damn authors. Oh, the imaginations of quacks as well.

According to Saria the Encyclopedia's wealth of knowledge elves, dwarves, and gnomes. Dragons, merfolk, unicorns, and other mythical creatures do indeed exist.

She even claimed that she saw them a few times while weirdly looking at me.

Soon enough, I was able to confirm it with my own eyes. One time I heard a loud noise echoing outside, a buzzing sound akin to loud flapping wings plus the signature roar. A living dragon. I was not that scared at that time. The only thing in my head that time was - 'I want one.'

I mean, who could blame a dramatic fantasy-loving soul like me right? A tear-worthy drama plus an awesome magical effect was all I needed to make me an avid fan. Give me a dragon and I shall show you my might. Make it a male and I’ll make it my lover.

During my time on earth, aside from my travels, watching series and movies were also among my rare passions.

The Continent of Endramion was a melting pot of all magical imagination of my world. Does this world have anything to do with Earth? My excitement drifted out, showing itself on the sides of my lips. I'm getting giddy. "How long must I wait?" Bang! I narrowed my eyes at the new stack of books splattered all over my table. A pair of emerald eyes looking at me from above like some old school teacher. Her glossy black hair sashayed with blatant disregard. “Saria?”

The archmagus smiled, “You're not looking busy enough so I had prepared a new set of books for you. You’ll like it.”

Her words made me flinched. That was the nth time she said that. I took a gulp, finding the courage to ask a question. “What’s this all about?” “See for yourself.” I pulled the heavy book atop of the mountain, flipping it to gaze at the title. “Fine.”

It was a must-read. I sighed before opening the book as soon as I got the gist of what it was all about.

The title was, 'Easy Guide for Dummies: How to Survive in the Continent of Endramion.'

 

Thanks for reading. Don't forget to click that heart shape button. Do check out my Patreon for advanced chapters.

32