Chapter 23: The Next Step
724 13 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 23: The Next Step

The embers flickered from the burning fireplace, lighting up the velvety parchments and scrolls lying on the dumblewood-crafted table. The warmth slowly swam, spreading throughout Saria's grand library. The shadows of the bookshelves flickered as the illuminating sparks coming from the hearth shone unto the woodworks.

Two shadows moved in the center of the grand library. One was holding a thick old velvety book, reading through each work. Wisdom hidden in her eyes. Her silky lilac hair shining as the flames' visage sent its light towards her.

While the other one sat on the red couch nearby. Her emerald-colored eyes gazing towards the lady with lilac hair. Both curiosity and amazement were fluttering on her gem-like eyes.

There was nothing but silence as if they were waiting for something.

Alas, I, the lilac haired lady closed the book. I lifted a gaze and looked straight at the seemingly bored lady. From the looks of it, she's more interested in my expression rather than the book she gave me.

"Saria?" I sighed, stretching my neck after I'd read through the book Saria gave me.

According to Saria, my sister, the princess, personally wrote all of the things within the book. Initially, she hoped that Saria could solve it for her.

I released a groan, feeling a headache coming. "What the heck did the royal faction have for brains to make these silly mistakes?"

I stood up with both hands on my back. I decided to move around the large library. An old habit. Something that I developed during my time on earth. I like doing this every time I'm faced with a problematic issue. It was a good way to activate my sluggish brain cells.

Saria's set of luminous gems followed me. "Mistakes? So how's the royal faction. I need an honest answer, Victoria."

I looked at her and shook my head.

"The royal faction is barely standing at all. A light breeze of chaos will surely make them fall straight to a cliff." I tapped the book I've just read. I decided not to sugar coat anything at all. "It's terrible!"

To convince her further with my words, I picked a few examples within the book. A few proposals and decisions made my eyebrows reach the roof.

"First. Why in the world would you sell the earning assets of the royal family at this time?" I frowned. "Whoever thought of this plan is clearly a rat or an opportunistic worm. That's a damn magic stone mine! One of Carmandy's greatest natural treasures! The kingdom's primary source of money. The guy who thought of this is nuts! Screw him fast!"

“Saria, don't allow anyone to sell the magic mines. That's the kingdom's lifeline. Cut it and the kingdom will bleed to death. Though, you might be able to earn a lot. It’s not a good investment for the longevity of the kingdom.”

I felt a bit dizzy after seeing these childish mistakes. Are the guys in the royal faction really seasoned nobles? If I throw them in the modern business world, these poor folks will be eaten to the bone. Their way of thinking is so backward! How useless!

Striking while the iron is hot, I added another one.

"Second. Why do you want to pay Markandir for the death of their royal prince? It's like telling everyone that you've been negligent and caused the death of this playboy. Aside from that, based on your description, this prince is merely a useless truant in Markandir. We've lost a king! A king, Saria! Are you sure that they don't have a hand in the poisoning of my royal father?"

I raised my head, sighing at Saria. "Saria who made this decision?"

After I asked this simple question, I saw Saria flinched. She refused to meet my gaze, turning fidgety as if she made a big blunder. Thus, I toned it down a notch. "So it's you, Saria. Don't continue this and don't pay anything. Tell them that we're still investigating after finding new trails of evidence."

I pinched my nose before shifting to the next big issue, ignoring the sulking archmage aside.

"Third. I looked at a few issues about the royal coffers. Who the hell is computing these stupid numbers? How can a damn deficit turn into a surplus." I huffed. I banged the table in front of me.

“Composure, composure, Victoria.” Saria tried to calm me down.

“Composure? Is that edible!? I tried mentally computing everything from the royal family's enterprise earnings. And I am seeing here that you’re getting cheated at broad daylight!”

"Did anyone ask for the current market prices of olive oil? None right? How did I know? There's only one price here. It's 20 gold for one stupid jar! I checked a few latest books in your library that you've brought to me last month. Believe me or not. It's quite new, at least three months old. It showed the current market price for olive oil. It's only worth 3 gold coins a jug. The royal family got ripped! The one who sold those jugs to you at a high price might really be on cloud nine right now! No, the damn guy might be already swimming on gold coins. Forget it! Bring him here and I’ll personally escort him to heaven."

"For the taxes?! Oh, my good king! The taxes are being dodged by a lot of nobles here. Someones stealing in plain view! Look at this." I raised the book, pointing at one of its contents. "He should pay at least 100 gold coins. Yet, the computation here is dead wrong and he only paid 20 gold coins. My goodness, gracious! This is far from a simple mistake."

I flopped back to my seat, feeling tired. "There are also a lot of stupid policies here."

"Saria!" I raised my voice. The CEO in me burned with passion. Ah, I'm getting excited after seeing these troubles. Am I a masochist? "I saw some budget inserts to offer gruel to the masses for a long run. Please stop this. Oh, whoever suggested this tasteless policy please fire him. I don't want to see him sitting there."

"Why?" Saria asked. "The masses will have a good perception of the crown if we do this."

"Why? We're not even in a damn famine that's why!" A headache loomed, making me feel dizzy. "Offer them jobs! Don't feed them freely lest they become lazy. Do you want to feed them forever? The kingdom needs a functioning and working citizens. Not fattened pigs! Are we going to sell their meat to the demons of the north?! If so, then fatten them up more!"

I closed my eyes and… saw Saria, crestfallen. Signs of tears dwelled on the sides of her eyes as if she was hurt.

Wait! What? I want to faint right here and right now.

...

"So you're the one who ordered those things?" I touched my forehead, checking if my hairline had receded due to stress.

Saria nodded, bowing her head like a silly girl who knew her mistakes. "Y-yes."

I clawed my face. Come one don't cry on me. You're a powerful archmage for Endramion's sake. I stood up, walking towards Saria, consoling her a little. "Don't worry. I'll handle everything. We can still fix these mistakes easily. Even so, I want you to become my proxy. No one must know that I am currently alive. It's better if all the ideas will seemingly originate from you.”

"After all, no one can doubt a genius." I winked.

Saria looked at me, nodding. The flicker of confidence that she lost a while ago shone once again. "Alright, alright. I can do that much! Watch me!"

"That's good to hear." It looks like Saria had already acknowledged my abilities. One time she was consoling me, this time I'm consoling her. What a weird feeling.

I flopped back to my chair, opening the royal accounts of my sister once again.

The writing was quite neat and detailed. To even think that she decided to record everything in detail. Is it luck or foresight? She indeed has the talent either way.

Time drifted, passing by unnoticed. Saria had gone out once again.

It took me quite a lot of time to finish and grasp the current situation of the Kingdom of Carmandy. And for now, I got one word to describe it - corrupt. I can even estimate that the kingdom will fall within the next seven years if this continues. If they already sold the magic mines, it will even fall in not more than three years.

No wonder the Free Trade Union and the Empire showed their fangs in this kingdom. The kingdom was nothing but a nice and juicy prey. These two powers will literally break this country into two.

"The magic mines." I tapped the table with my fingers. I fell into deep thought, thinking what my next step will be. "From the looks of it, the royal faction had already been infiltrated. Should I smoke the guy out? Maybe, I can make good use of this."

A smile slowly bloomed on my face. It's been quite a long time since I've faced such an interesting situation. It's quite exciting for me. How will my experience in my old job work here?

I did a little stretching. A good way to keep my blood flowing.

Then, I moved back to my chair, pulling out the pen Saria had gifted me. It was a magic pen. It doesn't even need ink. All it needs is air plus mana and it's good to go. I, at least, know how to activate my mana. Still, I have no idea how I can use it for the other spells.

Anyway, I pulled an empty paper and started writing. I already have a few plans in mind. Everything must be handled swiftly lest the current status of the royal faction turns more troublesome.

My first mission was to clean up the dirty Stygeans stables. We need to kick the rotten maggots gnawing at the royal coffers. Hmm, the next step is getting help from those with real ability. I need Saria's help. We need individuals who can handle the soon-to-be-empty positions. These will be tough. I can judge their skills through their basic accomplishments but only through papers. I might offer the jobs to smart commoners too. For their personalities, hmnn. I think Saria will be a good judge.

I hope Victoria's, no, my sister will be decisive in implementing my solutions. Spill some blood if you must. No time to get emotional especially if two foreign tigers are hiding in your backyard.

I took a deep breath, diving deeper into the intricacies of the first part of the plan. I need to stir the situation back on track before dealing with the empire and the union.

The magic pen on my hand waltzed freely along with the paper. My thought flowing uninterrupted as the scent of ink meandered into the air. Soon enough, stocks of documents filled my table. The overall masterplan slowly took form in my mind. The gears in my brain trembled in excitement as I crafted one solution after another.


Don't forget to click that heart-shaped button to support the novel. Anyway, if you want advanced chapters whilst being able to support this novel, please check out my Patreon.

33