58.A certain contract merchant
112 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The 3rd week of June.

I was on the way to meet Naomi's client.

Somehow instead of go with horses, we decided to use a carriage.

And a carriage just for two people journeys.

That's a bit too luxurious for me.

She said that this is some kind of formality among nobles. But, I still couldn't help but to felt weird.

Sure, this may be just a normal thing for nobles. But, I am not a nobleman and prefer going out with horses instead.

Also, this is the 8th day of the journey and with me being inside a carriage. I don't know where Naomi gonna take me.

I felt worried as usual. 

But, good thing Naomi keeps me a company with a small talk every now and then.

But, now when I thinking about it. 

I think... that is not a good thing to do in this kind of situation.

It distracted me from seeing all the landmarks that would help me know where we are heading.

Sure, let's say that I trust Naomi. 

But, being ignorant of my surroundings is still not good.

I really should have fixed this bad habit of mine if I don't want anything bad to be happening right behind my back.

Master is right, probably this is one thing that will never change about me.

I wonder if one day this will lead me to make a big mistake...

With that said, I'm glad Naomi seems to be a trustworthy person.

-----------------------

"So, how much longer we're gonna be on this journey?"

I ask that question to Naomi.

"Just two more days. I still need to keep your existence secret after all. So... you know... I have no choice but to take the way around the main route."

"Hah... It's sure hard to be a piece of secret information. But knowing there are literally hired kidnappers after master Wilfred. I think this is for the best. I bet no contract merchant would ever be seen brought someone with them unless it's an important part of the information right?"

"Exactly. And with the words about your existence already out, being king of iron successor. If somehow more information about you got leaked, there possibly will be someone who's gonna shift their attention to you. See? Aren't you saw, just how kind and caring I am by telling you this information?"

"Yeah, but all of that information you just tell me still is kinda obvious though..."

"If you pay me. then I'll tell you something that is more surprising~"

"Yeah? Like what?"

"Do you gonna pay me?"

"I'll think about it."

"Then I'll also hold on to this information for now~"

-------------------------

"Say, Naomi. About this client of yours..."

"Hm?"

"You previously said that contract merchants lived by selling information. And with not all person can afford contract merchant services. You gonna make a long contract with certain people to get money out of selling information to them. right?"

"Yeah, what about it?"

"Say, is money the only factor for your relationship with your client?"

"Hmmm... That's kinda tricky a question to answer."

"... really?"

"Yup. But, I will try to answer it just for you."

"Oh, how kind of you."

I said that with a playful remark.

"Usually to this kind of question. I need to know your reasoning. If your reason for asking this is simply because of curiosity. I will simply answer yes. And said nothing more."

She said that with a short confident voice. As if to end a conversation.

"If? So what if this isn't because of curiosity?"

"That means. This is a question used to reveal one's character and an answer as simple as 'yes' just won't do."

"What would be your answer then? if that the case."

"Hmmm...... It's still about money. But, I won't accept blood money. Money that will make the world bleed is just not worth taking."

"I see."

"Yeah..."

An answer that I wanted to hear.

She said it with a clear voice of an innocent. Proof that in her words there is no lie.

And that probably her real character.

"You know, Naomi? I'm happy to know, that I can trust you."

"What? About your information? Don't worry I won't just recklessly sell your information. There are simply too many disadvantages for me if I'd do that."

"Thanks."

"Sure."

"You know? I've been thinking."

"About what?"

"What is your thoughts if I said, I want you?"

".... That.... is..... really out of character of you. What? Is this like in a personal relationship, relationship? Or a business relationship?"

"Em... Business?"

"Fuh... You make me worry for a second there... So, you want to buy priority status for my service huh?"

"Yeah, I started wondering if someone will be sent to kidnap me, your service would be so helpful. There is also another advantage of having a reliable source of information. So what are your thoughts?"

"Do you gonna pay me? I'm not that cheap of a woman, you know?"

"Of course I'll pay you. Also, stop wording it like that. It makes me feels weird."

"You are the one who started it!"

"Well, I thought it would be funny to see your reaction."

"Buuu.... To toy with my heart like that... Pfft-  Hahaha~"

"Hahaha~ sorry, sorry."

"Nah, it's fine. Well, That is not a half-bad offer."

"Really? So, what is your answer?"

"Hmmm..... I will think about it~"

4