61.Point of no return
122 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I will show you the gap, between Pawn and a Queen."

Her tone is sure and confident.

Then she continue,

"But wait, Before that. I guess you need to know The gap between a normal person and a pawn first right. Hmm, I know this is not a question to ask on a day-to-day basis. But, Ray. How well you can fight?"

"Eh? Em... Average I guess? Probably slightly lower than average if I fight without using any kind magic."

"Hm? What about if you use that weapon of yours?"

"As for now, then probably I will be on the level of an experienced foot soldier."

"Foot soldier, huh? okay... that's probably good enough."

"Wait, what are we going to do?"

"You will know soon enough. Now let's go. And You're coming too Naomi."

"Yes, I understand. Your Majesty."

With that, we left the room and walk to 'somewhere' else.

-----------------------

I walk behind the Queen. Because she's the one who is leading.

Meanwhile, Naomi walks behind me.

Somehow, this walking formation makes me felt like a farm animal.

So I decided to distract thought by looking around while we're walking.

One thing that I realize, is how spacious this place is.

Well, I guess this is only obvious. but damn, this whole place is larger than my whole village.

Heck, it probably 5 times the size of my village while also counting the farmlands.

Truly, what a place.

----------------------

It was a training field.

I repeat, it was a training field.

It was a huge plain dirt training field.

I wish I could say that nothing is wrong with this field.

But the problem lies in what happened on this ground.

Take a guess, how do you think I know that this is a training field.

Well, aside from few soldiers who are lining up nearly.

There is another thing that is more, stand out.

"What is this place...."

"Ray welcome, to the training ground. This is the place where normal people were turned into full-fledged soldiers. And if you are talented enough a knight order."

"No, that is not the answer to my question. Stop pretending like I am the only one who sees it... Your Majesty, what is that?"

While shock, I pointed out the anomaly that I wanted the explanation of.

"Ehm... Naomi? Would you mind explaining it?"

"Pardon me, Your majesty. But, I think this is something that you need to explain yourself. Because depending on your answer. That probably would affect Ray's opinion of you."

"Well, I guess you are right." 

"..."

"So, Ray what is your question?'

"What is my question?

Why there are so many injured men here!?"

I said my question to her. 

From their outfit, I can tell that they are not even from one organization. 

The did not wear any kind of uniform. 

They are just normal people.

What I saw upon me entering the field, was Dozens of men injured and unconscious while being healed with a certain magic.

The medical team seems doesn't really bother by it. But, this is my first time seeing so many people injured in the same place.

"That is the result of their own actions. They are, the people who come here to challenge the Pawn."

She answered.

'Challenge the Pawn?'

I think that to myself.

'To challenge the pawn!?'

"This is ridiculous, why would they want to do such things?"

"They come here to challenge the pawn. Let say there is a prize for defeating her, aside from the prize it is also a great accomplishment. While the fight going on we usually pick a few of them to join the soldier."

"What...? Would you look at them!? They could die at any moment right now! Why would you not stopped them?"

"Ray! Your way of speaking to her Majesty is not appropriate!"

"No, Naomi it's fine. Ray, being a soldier is not all about skills. Skills could be acquired from training, what it takes to become a soldier. Is a strong will."

Her word although is true. 

It filled me with rage.

"...ah... I get it now... I know exactly 'why' you lead me here."

I felt irritated. 

This whole time, this entire time. I was forgetting one important thing.

As for why she asked me to play chess with her and as to why I am here on this training ground.

The queen is not just a ruler.

 She is the absolute power.

Up until now I bet, she has defeated countless of foes.

She is the Queen of this land.

The only piece, strong enough to hold that title.

And here, in front of me.

Is the power of the pawn that is hers.

This is her way of leadership.

 

And this is her decision.

I couldn't believe that I forget. She is the demon of the battlefield.

---------------------

I never experienced a war in my life.

I always thought that the act of well sentient beings to attack another is a stupid act.

I never even killed or even hurt a person in my life.

But, that is not the case with someone who's in here.

Here where I currently stand. 

This is the place of them who are mentally far stronger than me.

Coming here meant risking their own life.

They knew far before they even stepped their feet here.

Hell,

I could live my peaceful life up until now without killing a single person probably Is all thanks to them and the likes of them.

But, to think that this is how some of them got selected...

"Your Majesty, we are here to see the pawn right?"

"Heh... You finally got to the business huh? Why is it all of sudden?"

"Tell my, Your Highness. If I'm be able to defeat your pawn. What is my prize?"

"Ray?!"

"No, Naomi it's fine. So you are confident enough with your ability?"

"Your Highness, I am sorry If I may sound disrespectful to you. But, I am confident with my creation."

"Ray! Are you crazy? You don't even know spearmanship right!? You'll get heavily injured if you fight her!"

"It's fine. I can take it. So, your Majesty what is my prize if I defeat?"

"You sure are confident. I will grant you one wish if you can defeat her."

"It's a deal."

While filled with rage and irritation. 

I tried to not lose my reasoning and judgment.

I come to challenge the pawn that is hers.

To challenge the enemy that is still unknown to me.

'Lend me your help, Alpha.'

-------------------------

4