The fourth part.
402 9 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Wake up! Please! Wake up!” I begged her, only to be met with silence. Tears welled up around my eyes.

 

I had placed Yuri’s upper body on my lap, hopefully making it easier for her to breathe.

 

“Please…”

 

I hugged her, channeling a tiny bit of divine energy into her. Something that shouldn’t be done, ever.

 

“Please…”

 

Yuri coughed twice. I hoisted her on to my back, I needed to get her to the village doctor as soon as possible.

 

She was almost a full head taller than me, making balancing on my back difficult. In the end I managed to position her right on my back.

 

I got to walking, Yuri’s breath was getting more laboured with each step. The healing spell was losing its effectiveness meaning that I needed to hurry up. 

 

I used my magic to boost my agility, trying to be as fast as possible. Sweat ran down my forehead while I hurried.

 

I reached the doctor’s office in a few short minutes, out of breath and drenched in sweat.

 

The door slammed open and I walked in. The doctor was luckily still in office at this late time.

 

“Doctor! Yuri needs help!” I almost screamed, the heart beats from Yuri were getting weaker.

 

“R-right. Put her on the table.” The doctor was surprised at me arriving without any warning.

 

I did as the Doctor said, putting her on the table. He got to work, examining her breathing, heart beats, blood pressure and magic reservoir.

 

He gave her some kind of liquid, it flowed down into her throat and her fever dropped almost instantly.

 

Sigh. I think this will do for now but she probably has a few more days at most.”

 

“What do you mean Doctor? Can’t you save her?”

 

“No cure. At most I could probably extend her life.”

 

“So why won’t you do that?”

 

“Because it will cause unnecessary suffering.”

 

I collapsed into a mess, and started sobbing uncontrollably. The person who had given me a name, teached me to use magic, taught me how to be myself and lastly. The person I loved. It would all go down the drain if she just… Died.

 

The doctor gave me a comforting hug, I think me being a crying mess was taking its toll on him too. I calmed down enough to be able to take Yuri back to the shrine again, occasionally sniffling on the way.

 

After making it back I gently put Yuri on her futon, and pulled the sheets over her, making sure that she would have a good night's sleep. made dinner in silence. I didn’t have anyone to talk with.

 

I moved my futon to Yuri’s room, and placed it next to hers. For the next hour I would be constantly next to her, holding her hands.

 

I would end up crying myself to sleep tonight.

 

-o-

 

The following day Yuri would wake up again, and make breakfast while I slept. she woke me up by gently brushing my face until I couldn’t take it anymore.

 

“Ngh…”

 

“It’s time to wake up. Naomi.”

 

“...”

 

“You know what happens if you don’t”

 

“...”

 

I opened my eyes. Yuri was leaning above me, looking at me. I got embarrassed, I didn’t take a bath last night, or brush my fur before bed meaning that my hair and fur was a mess.

 

Her face was pale, paler than I’ve ever seen it be. Her eyes were dull, not shining as they did days ago. Bags under her eyes were developing, I think she had a nightmare of sorts.

 

But that embarrassment didn’t last, as it was washed away by the feeling of relief. I sat up and hugged Yuri tightly, while crying.

 

Yuri patted my back, while whispering into my ear ‘It’s okay, it’s okay.’

 

Tears hit the floor as I cried my heart out, letting out all my worries I had harboured last night. 

 

“Yuri…” I looked at her

 

“Don’t leave me… Please don’t leave me.” I mumbled while sobbing.

 

“I won’t. I won’t.” She replied while giving me a warm and comforting smile.

 

“I don’t want to be alone…”

 

even if Yuri said she won’t leave me I knew better. Soon she would stop being here doing chores, performing shrine rituals, making delicious dinner and most of all, be here with me. Yeah, she is my first love. 

 

I can’t help it really, her beautiful brown hair gently swaying in the wind, hazel eyes shining brightly like the stars in the night, gentle face that could comfort even the loneliest of people.

 

‘Sigh, I really love her. Why does this need to happen to me?’

 

I thought for myself. Asking myself what I did to deserve this. I killed several Soranaki and saved many people, so what led to this happening?

 

Sigh. What should I do with you? Going all baby because of me.” A tired sigh escaped from Yuri, as she kept petting my head.

 

“You know, I’ve always known that you love me.” She started talking.

 

“The way you get shy when you’re close to me. The happiness you get after I come back. I’ve always known.”

 

“Y-you knew?” My face got redder the more she told, she always knew.

 

“Yeah. I’ve always known. And I love you too.” She hugged me, while whispering the last part.

 

“I-I love you too.” I stuttered out the sentence, almost speechless at what Yuri just said.

 

She always knew?

 

I got teary again, thinking back of the memories I had made.

 

That one time I accidentally walked in on Yuri while naked, or when I burnt my food while cooking it, and perhaps the funniest of all. Turning water into wine.

 

I may have gotten a bit drunk… 

 

We spent the rest of the day together. 

 

Watching the sunset while on Yuri’s lap, I stared at her. I got misty eyes.

 

Her eyes lightly glowed in the sunset. I gazed at her, almost entranced.

 

“Mmm. Do you have any final wishes?” I couldn’t just stand there and do nothing, I am a fox spirit after all.

 

“No. Nothing. I just want to spend the last days with you.”

 

I sat up next to her, and leaned into her shoulder.

 

There was something peaceful about watching the sunset together. The calm, relaxing atmosphere, the sound of cicadas chirping away, seeing birds fly in the air.

 

I looked at her, before giving in for a deep and passionate kiss.

 

Our lips met.

 

Yuri kept me in the kiss for a long time, it felt like forever. But it felt good.

 

We broke out of our kiss, and I returned to leaning on her.

 

I think that I fell asleep at some point, because the memories for the rest of the night got fuzzy. Though I remember snuggling up with Yuri.

 

-o-

23