Chapter 4
34 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4

That call never came from Grace. Franklin Labelle Jr. was pronounced dead ten minutes after his arrival at St. Anne’s hospital. When the ambulance pulled up outside the emergency ward the firemen were yet again performing CPR. Frank crashed inside the truck. All life saving techniques were used to no avail. Rushing him into the ER the team of doctors and nurses did their best to revive Frank but, the venom had taken it’s toll poisoning his body’s major organs.

The morning of Frank’s funeral was met with more pain and blame. Jo heard a knock at her bedroom door. Sitting on her bed dressed in all white from head to toe Jo waited patiently for her mother to enter. She hated wearing white. “It gets all dirty” she would say.

“It will teach you to be more ladylike Josephine” her mother would reply.

Grace entered the room sitting down next to Jo.

“You look lovely dear.”

“Thank you. Mother do I have to go? I don’t want to see him like that.”

“I want make you Josephine but, you might regret not going. You need to say your goodbyes.”

Jo noticed a small box in her mother’s hand.

“This was found in Frank’s pocket. I’m guessing he was going to give it to you that day.”

Grace handed the box to Jo. Her small hands were trembling while trying to open the clasps.

“Mother...”

“Here let me help you.”

Both Grace and Jo had tears streaming down there face. For Frank had gifted her with a very exquisite brooch.

“It’s a butterfly. It’s so beautiful mother.”

“Yes it is dear, it’s your birthstone. You were his, Butterfly.”

Jo spoke softly to her mother.

“Right before Frank stopped breathing he reached for my hand. I knelt beside him. He whispered.”

“Live for me my beautiful Butterfly.”

“That’s all I hear, even in my dreams.”

Grace wiped the tears from Jo’s face with her handkerchief.

“As I said I want make you go. Sarah want be attending either she’s taken his passing very hard. Would you like to keep her company?”

“Yes I think that would be best mother.”

“Okay I will let father know you’ll be staying home with Sarah. We will talk more when I return.”

As Grace was leaving she looked back and saw Jo pinning the brooch on her dress. Smiling and wiping at her tears she left the room.

“Sweetheart are you ready to go?”

Grace met her husband in the hallway.

“Almost, Jo will be staying with Sarah. Let me go get Vivian.”

“I’ll be waiting out front” replied Frank Sr.

Grace knocked on Vivian’s door while entering her bedroom.

“Vivian are you ready? Well look at you, Frank would definitely approve.”

Vivian had on a gorgeous print black and white dress. Her hair was curled hanging down her back with a black ribbon tied as a ban. The diamond earrings she wore sparkled bright.

“Mother may I wear a little lip gloss?”

“Just a little.”

“Thank you. Frank gave this to me last Christmas.”

“I know we went shopping together. He wanted nice gifts for you and Jo.”

“Don’t mention her name. It’s her fault Frank is gone. Her and that stupid tea party. I HATE HER!”

“Vivian Lee Labelle never ever say that again. It is not Jo’s fault. Things happen, life happens. It’s no ones fault. She is not going to the funeral, I don’t think she can handle it. We are all grieving, trying our best to get through this so, no blaming Josephine. Do you hear me?”

“Yes mother but, I will never forgive her.”

“You can be mad, angry, scream if you have a mind to, but don’t let your anger consume you Vivian. Jo will need you now more that ever. You're sisters and I want have this family falling apart. Father is waiting, let’s go.”

Retrieving her small purse, checking once more in the mirror, Vivian followed her mother out to the foyer where Frank Sr. waited.

Family and close friends gathered outside around the circular driveway. No words were needed. Bill the family’s chauffeur of 10 years escorted them to their private limousine. There was a very large crowd in attendance with standing room only in the church. Frank was very popular, a star athlete in football and lacrosse. At the young age of 12 he started an annual sportsmanship program for the underprivileged youth in his community. The funds raised would offer free uniforms and equipment to children needing assistance.

Although Frank was cherished and spoken over by many, no one expected what came next. As his father was speaking so eloquently thanking all who came to support their family. He asked if there was anyone else who wanted to say a few more words. A tall thin middle aged man stood. He walked to the front of the church, approaching the microphone he shook Frank Sr.’s hand, than touched Frank Jr.’s casket.

“I’ll try not to be too long. Frank and I met at one of the lowest points in my life. I’d lost my wife to cancer, not shortly after I lost my home because of the financial hardship that occurred during her illness. Then I was let go from my job, being my wife’s only caregiver it was hard to work and take care of her too.

About three months ago it was a cold night. I was sitting in a Starbucks drinking a simple cup of coffee contemplating ending my life. My wife and I had no kids, we only had each other. The pills she took during her illness, well I was just going to take them and fall asleep never waking up again. Then this young man came over to my table asking if he could borrow the two empty chairs for his friends.

He must have heard something in my voice because instead of taking the chairs he sat down, reached out his hand to shake mine and said “Hi I’m Frank, you don’t have to talk I’m just going to sit here in case you need to.”

He started talking about himself and his family, then about his school. The private school he attended and his favorite teacher who had passed away about five months ago. He said her name, my wife’s name. You see my wife Lilly was his Advanced Placement English teacher. She’d encouraged him to read, read, read, any book, newspaper, magazine, just read, and learn a new word everyday. The internet has an endless wealth of knowledge.

As he was talking about her I could hear the excitement he felt as he interacted with my wife while she was his teacher. I don’t mean to go on but, please hear me out.”

Frank’s father motioned for him to continue.

“The Starbucks was getting ready to close. I still hadn’t said one word. Frank acknowledged.”

“Sir. I know who you are. You’re Mrs. Lilly’s husband, she kept a picture of you on her desk. She would speak of you often. It might seem hard right now but a better day is coming. I know I’m young if, you ever need anything here is my number, call me and we can meet for a cup of coffee, my treat.”

“I started to cry and accidentally knocked over the cup of coffee I had onto my duffle bag. Frank went to pick up the bag, I grabbed for it, in doing so all of the medicine bottles fell out. There was a look of panic on my face. He called one of his friends over, whispered something, then asked me to come with him. I felt so embarrassed and ashamed.

As we were walking out into that cold night I asked. Where was he taking me? He replied, “Home.”

“I told him I had no home, I lost my home. Then he said, “No Mr. Barnett I’m taking you home with me.”

“I was introduced to Mr. Applebee that night. He and Frank gave me shelter, they gave me hope. Frank never mentioned what he knew I was about to do. The next morning I had the honor of meeting a horse. Frank said he named her Lilly in memory of his favorite teacher. My Lilly.”

Getting more chocked up while talking Mr. Barnett continued.

“Senator Labelle, Mrs. Labelle. I can’t begin to tell you how special and kind your Frank was to me. Not knowing this a the time, my wife had taken out an insurance policy a few years back before she became ill. They contacted me two weeks ago asking where to mail the insurance check. I gave them the address to the ranch addressing it to Frank. The insurance company sent the check overnight. Frank and I opened the envelope together. We couldn’t believe what the amount was. That check was more than I expected. Enough for me to live the rest of my life in comfort.

With saying that I would like to donate $200,000 to the Franklin Labelle Jr. Sportsmanship Program, in memory of Frank and my wife.”

Grace beamed with pride. There wasn’t a dry eye in the church.

“Frank gave me a place to stay, a reason to hope, a reason to live. Thank you for raising such a considerate soul, I will truly miss my friend.”

As the service ended at the burial grounds, family and friends returned to the Labelle ranch for the reception, Mr. Barnett included.

“Mr. Barnett thank you for your kind words. My wife and I will make sure the funds you’ve gifted will be used as intended.”

“It’s the most I can do. As I said before Frank was and will always be my friend.”

Josephine stayed with Sarah in her sitting room. Sarah was reading a book as Jo was playing video games on Sarah’s computer. Grace had hired a catering service for the reception, she didn’t want Sarah to lift a finger. Sarah protested but, Grace was persistent.

“Frank was as much your child as he was mine. You’ve been here since his birth. If I haven’t said it enough, thank you Sarah for taking care of us all.”

The years past by with more turbulent seasons after another. Vivian and Josephine’s relationship never flourished as Grace had hoped. From one year to the next they argued or barely had two words to say to each other, for Vivian still blamed Jo for Frank’s death and a few other transgressions.

0