The Squad Allotment- I
199 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Suddenly the atmosphere reverted back and the crowd became noisy once again. Everyone felt relief as soon as they came to know the personality of our military instructor. Although he looked strict and manly from the outside, he actually was the complete opposite.

His outer appearance did not match his feminine nature, whatsoever. He was the perfect example of the phrase, 'Don't judge the book, by its cover.'

I lined up with the rest of them. I knew guardsmen were filled with lazy buffoons but even the high-rank officers had some screw loose or two.

The military instructor that stood on the wooden box, cleared his throat and began,
"If I may have your attention, please!", he said out in a louder tone.

The noisy crowd fell in silence once again. This time it was not a request, but a command.

The instructor continued,
"Thank you! Well, let me introduce myself. My name's Albert Alpine and I am one of the five commanders of guardsmen regiment. The entire southern province comes under my jurisdiction."

It's rather hard to believe that he was one of the top-ranking commanders of the guardsmen regiment. If people such as him were handling the chains of commands, then the day isn't long when the kingdom's fall. I don't give a damn, about this kingdom as long as Rose and Armin were safe.

"I have a busy schedule ahead, so I would like to keep it short! I hope everyone has brought along their appointment letter. Check behind your letter, there should be a little symbol at the bottom right corner. Check it out, right now!", he instructed as he stroked his mustache.

Everyone took out their appointment letter to find the symbol as instructed. I took out my letter as well from the pocket and I saw the symbol which was a crescent moon. It was a very tiny ink stamp in the corner that anyone would hardly notice.

The crowd once again started murmur as they discussed with each other. It seemed everyone received different symbols.

"Alright! Now I shall call out each of the symbols and those who have exact same symbols are to form a squad. You need to get acquainted with each other. Later every squad will be assigned with a senior guardsman who shall be the team captain. More details shall be given by your respective squad captain."

So that's how they had segregated the team beforehand. I wonder what my teammates will be like? I hope if I could work alongside them. I don't know if I could utilize my combat skills and rise up in the ranks. I don't have any general combat training but I trained alone in the night by myself. I don't think there would be much of a chance to show off my skills as a guardsman.

The instructor started to announce different symbols one by one. There were different types of symbols like the - tree, bullhead, footwear, wheel, etc

With each symbol's announcement, about four or five people left our line. The respective squad members gathered together where they occupied a small area of the lawn to hold a meeting between themselves.

Soon Crescent moon was called out and I marched out of the line. I looked around to see who would be my new comrades and I was surprised.
"Yo! What a coincidence, we all end up together! Is this a fate or what?", a certain young man approached in my direction with a goofy face and two more people followed behind him.

"Coincidence? I don't think so.", I replied back.

The three of my new squadmates were none other than the three people who had approached me before the announcement. They seemed to be acquainted in real life before this gathering.

How did we end up in the same squad?
There could be a chance, all 3 would have known the meaning of the symbol and got to know each other before this meeting.

But then, how come they knew that I would be in the same squad? I didn't show my letter to anyone else. So I don't think there approach was a mere coincidence, at all.
They could have rigged the allotment system for all I know. At least, it was clear that they were no ordinary rookies.
That's for sure!

"What are you talking about? This is just a coincidence! That's all. Haha!", he answered with an awkward laugh.

"Who are you, people? And what are you people doing here?", I asked.

The glasses boy, who stopped my punch started to glare at me in an infuriating manner. Whereas, the girl beside them, let out a small sigh.

"Eh... Huh? We are just- ordinary low borns, commoners like everyone! Just a rookie to become guardsman. Haha...ha!", the goofy boy answered as he scratched his spiky hair and laughed weirdly.

In the first place, nobody addresses themselves as low borns. It's a given that everyone in a guardsman rookie gathering was a commoner here, so there was no need to belittle themselves. His lies were clearly visible which just increased my suspicion fourfold.

"Well, I hardly believe that.", I pointed my finger at the glasses guy, "To explain this, how was he able to stop my punch? His moves were not of any rookie, that I know. How did he manage to move so quickly to stop my punch? Not any ordinary guy moves like that."

The goofy boy now was now in a state of panic,
"Oh! That was just a coincidence as well! Haha!"

"I don't believe you, one bit! Are you perhaps intruders or some kinda spy? I might have to report to the officials, if so.", I threatened them.

Well, they could be a spy from the enemy nation.

But he still continued his farce,
"What! We are not a spy!!! We are just… just a new rookie! Believe me, it's just-"

"Stop it! This isn't working guys. No pointing in hiding the truth.", the girl interrupts in between.

Both the glasses guy and the spiky-haired boy looked at the girl.
"But- isn't it too soon?", asked the glasses guy.

The girl seemed a bit angry as she narrowed her brows.

"You guys really suck at acting! Do you think anyone would be fooled by this? You don't even know how to blend in, I did say we were not ready for this covert mission as of yet.", she said out softly but with a serious tone

She then looked at my direction,
"Hello, Desmond Heller. Before we could discuss any further let's take a seat and have a proper introduction. Is that okay?"

2