On Duty- III
149 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bruno gave a long briefing over the recent events that happened within the capital.
I pointed out the piece of food that was stuck on his cheeks and Thalia wiped it off with her handkerchief. Now that distraction was out of the way, he again then started explaining.

Let me sum it up for you.

Apparently, the so-called Hooligans that said to have stolen some relic which was some kinda dangerous weapon. They broke into the Weaponry Development Research Facility which was situated in the Capital. As you can guess from the name itself, the Research facility was solely based on strengthening the military might of the Rublor nation.

So the Relic that was stolen was basically a prototype weapon from the facility which was still under the stages of development.

This new prototype weapon had both defensive and offensive attributes that have never been achieved before. Your regular enchanted gear possesses either defensive or offensive attributes. Only one type of trait can exist at a time in a single piece of equipment. If the mages tried to embed both attributes in a single piece of equipment, then the equipment goes haywire. The equipment then becomes volatile and it will create a big explosion eradicating everything beside it.

Hence the experimenting of combining both these attributes was forbidden by every country.
But it seemed the weaponry research department of our nation had successfully created something of such feat. This was truly amazing.

But now getting back to the main situation in hand, the prototype weapon was stolen.
The identity and the number of people who are involved are unknown. It’s been rumored that the hooligans that stole the weapon are from a dark guild called Killing Hearts. I hope that the rumor turns out to be false because it would mean even more dangerous of a foe then one can handle.

The Killing Hearts is a quite infamous dark guild for its number notorious and evil doings. The dark guild isn’t affiliated with any country and works independently. Many of the criminals have a huge ransom on their heads that are working with that guild. A very little is known about the main body of the guild, that actually runs the guild. Even the captured criminals who were once part of the guild known a little about the guild’s central members.

The world started to take Killing Hearts guild more seriously after they learned their involvement in the Vlosk City tragedy 15 years ago. All the nations labeled the guild as a terrorist organization and considered them to be a global threat.

After Vlosk city tragedy, there was no way any of the countries could turn a blind eye.
There used to be actually one more big empire before the Vlosk city tragedy. It was called the Kingdom of Atria which was a powerful and pompous nation and stood toe to toe with the current major kingdoms. Back then Rublor was still an independent country but still wasn’t in the league of the major nations. Although, Kingdom Atria was in good terms with our country.

The kingdom’s capital was the fortified city of Vlosk city. It was a beautiful and impenetrable big city with millions of population citizens along with the royal family and the aristocrats that ran the country.

But one day without any notice, the entirety of the Vlosk city just disappeared out of the map. The royal family along with, thousands of aristocrats, noblemen and the millions of citizens of the city all vanished without a trace along with the city. In the place of the city, there was a big circular hole spanning 13 miles in radius where once the city existed. The bottomless gigantic mysterious hole and the disappearance of the city were shrouded in mystery.

After losing the capital city along with its rulers, the Atria kingdom became a braindead country. Soon a civil war started to emerge within the kingdom and the remaining lords and outlaw militia started splintering the population. This gave an opening for the other nations to take over the lands of the Atria kingdom.

The whole world was in shock to what could have happened to Vlosk city. The countries put their best mages and soldiers to investigate the mysterious hole and the disappearance of the Vlosk city, that was named as the Vlosk tragedy. Although, the nation’s first priority was to gobble up the lands of the fallen kingdom. In 3 years, the remaining major eight countries split the Atria kingdom’s land among themselves and their sister lesser kingdoms.

A large empire with a history of thousands of years just fell within a couple of years.

Later it was found out that Killing Hearts guild were somehow responsible in the Vlosk city tragedy. The eight countries couldn’t turn a blind eye to them anymore, hence they have pronounced the Killing Hearts guild to be a global threat. The countries formed a coalition army to subjugate the dark guild but they couldn’t successfully rat out and capture the dark guild. The Killing Hearts were said to have disbanded and the members went into hiding.

If these hooligans really turned out to be from that guild then it’s more of a good reason to be on guard. Also, the new weapon with dual attributes would really startle the other seven-nation. But now that it was stolen by some hooligans and if it fell on a dark guild’s hand then it would cause a big ruckus. It will also give the other nations to persecute the Rublor kingdom for funding dark guild and sullying the reputation and ties with other nations.

Even the other nation might even blackmail the Rublor its new weapon technology as compensation for such treachery. I am pretty sure our kingdom won’t be able to take on all the country by themselves.

Hence, now I understand why the huge ransom and such security been placed all over the town.

After listening to the whole thing, I asked,
“But are you sure those bandits are still around the city and not left already?”

“There’s almost no chance for them to escape as the Capital as well all the district near the capital has been under lockdown. The bandits should be trapped within the Capital but it seems someone helped them behind the scenes and its been under investigation to find the conspirator as we speak.”

“So if they managed to escape from Capital’s lockdown won’t they be already out by now with the help of a so-called conspirator? If you guys have not managed to pin down this traitor, it would be already too late” I said.

To that Bruno’s face glimmered all of a sudden,
“That’s the thing! The Nevarlises leader, our chief commander was one step ahead. Her house took over the authority of the border of all the districts and passageways surrounding the 10 meters in the radius of the capital city.”

“Wait... what?” I squealed out in confusion, “So the chief already knew that robbery was going to take place?”

Bruno had a cheerful smile,
“Yes, indeed,” he replied.

“But then why did she not intercept and catch those robbers red-handed? Why go out of the way putting such a big net for a small fish?”

If she had just lockdown the capital city, then it would be much easier to capture them. But instead, she put a large scale lockdown? For what?

Now Bruno again had a perplexed expression,
“Well, the thing is some of the noble houses don’t get along with the Nevarlises house. So even if she was the chief commander of the military, she doesn’t have a lot of authority to get involved in the internal affairs of the country. So she didn’t acquire adequate permission to put a lockdown in the capital city as she lacked proof. ”

I see. Even if she was the military chief, in the end. There will be always people that will loathe you. So of course, the house of Nevarlises must have a lot of rivals within the other noble houses who don’t get along.

Bruno then again puffed his chest,
“With this elaborate trap, she didn’t even trap the robbers but also the conspirators have backed into a wall. Now this will be a long dragged game of Hide and Seek.

“I see,” I responded.

That makes more sense. There must be someone of higher authority to pulling the strings in this robbery. No way the robbers could have easily managed to get hands-on the prototype and get away with such ease. Laying out this wide trap was the only option left.

Also apprehending the conspirator would really be more advantageous in the long run.
It’s better to have a smart enemy than a traitor as an ally.

Some powerful households might be the ones helping those hooligans out.

The chief commander was really a sharp one to entrap the robbers while also ratting out the traitor simultaneously.

But still, there is a big question, unanswered.

“By the way, is it okay to discuss such a crucial topic in the cafeteria like this?” I asked in a worried tone.
Although, no one was seemed to listening on to our discussion, it still quite risky.

“Don’t worry.” replied Thalia, “William and I been keeping eye on the surroundings here. Also discussing here in public areas such as this would be less suspicious anyway.”

“Well if you say so,” I replied, “But what’s our role in all this?”

Before anyone could reply,
“Hey! The lunch break is over. Let’s get moving already!” yelled our captain as she stood in the doorway of the cafeteria with a half-eaten sandwich in her hand.

Bruno and the bunch got up their seat,
“Well let’s meet up tonight at midnight near the garrison. I shall explain everything later,” said Bruno.

 

Thanks for reading as always...
Sorry for the delay /('^.^)/

1