70: Lance and Lara
2.1k 16 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Read Early Content on Patre0n. Also consider Commenting and Joining Discord all on this URL: https://linktr.ee/donovel
[Patre0n latest chapter: 85]

"Grrr… Leon! Damnedest Leon!" Vadim kept growling like an engine as the smoke of his pipe danced around him conveying his rage.

"What's wrong with the Dwarf?" Eleanor came into the office of the Hall Master and saw both Erielle and Vadim facing one another.

"He's pissed at Leon. I told him what you told me in your meeting with the boy." Erielle replied.

"Well, that's a normal reaction." Eleanor said as she sat on the chair beside Erielle across Vadim's desk.

"So. Where is the little run?" Vadim slammed his hand on the desk.

"In some place as dense as a city, it is impossible to get a reading on his location." Erielle said as she held three green daggers together.

The Three Mithril Daggers of the old party, Reign.

"You can't detect where Leon is?" Vadim asked.

"I felt it a few times but just faintly. He's in the city most certainly." Erielle replied.

"Leon has a set of skills that are simply absurd. He can use the Magic that he sees for the first time as if recreating and replicating it." Eleanor said.

"I still can't wrap my head around it." Erielle said.

"Neither do I?" Vadim added.

"I swear to you I witnessed it three times." Eleanor said as she sat on the edge of her seat, "He copied the Darkness spell of the Shadow Magic from the Goblin Den, copied the Barrier spell of the Space-Time Magic from me, and copied the Flames spell of the Fire Magic from Edward. Not only that, he used the right on the spot."

"This is beyond understandable." Vadim frowned.

"This is… revolutionary." Erielle had a bright look on her face, on the other hand.

"What are you talking about? The boy is using some unknown magic that nobody has ever heard of. You of all people should know that these things shouldn't be in the hand of a child." Vadim refuted.

"But he's no longer a child. Boy's his age get married in human societies and lead their families and businesses. Some were even kings and leaders. Him arriving at such Arcane Arts is most certainly good news." Erielle said.

"But he is irrational. Humans are irrational."

"Humans are but Leon is Anna's son. He's half a Merlin and magic flows through him as it does with his mother."

"Guys! Guys!" Eleanor interrupted the two, "I know you're concerned but ask the expert about humanity here if you're going to talk nonsense."

She stood up and walked to the edge of the desk.

"We are Reign, the best Mercenary Company that ever graced this country. But the three of us out of the five members are a dysfunctional team. We lack Annabelle who was our strategist and thinker. We also lack the Captain who led us. Without these two, we are not a productive team."

Seeing Eleanor talk like that, Vadim and Erielle couldn't help but agree. The three of them together are a mess compared to the other two members.

"So we don't work with each other?" Erielle asked.

"What? No?" Eleanor shook her head, "We may lack the Leader and the Strategist but we are the Face, the Pockets, and the Walking Library."

Eleanor pointed to herself as the Face, Vadim as the Pockets, and Erielle as the Walking Library.

"Alright. What do we do?" Vadim asked.

"We tried to work alone with Leon. It didn't work." Eleanor said, "He's like a son to all of us. We shouldn't have acted alone. I am irrational; you, Erielle, are absent-minded; and you, Vadim, are overprotective. I say we can pull it out together if we just go and look for the little runt."

"Working together?" Vadim asked.

"Like the old days?" Erielle tilted her head.

"Doesn't sound that bad, does it?" Eleanor asked.

"You remember that we were forbidden to act together as a team by the Royal Family?" Vadim said.

"Screw them." Eleanor shook her shoulders.

"And the Golden Saints have enforced that verdict the day Leon was taken?" Erielle added.

"I don't care. Golden Saints or not, they can't mess with my family anymore." Eleanor raised her hands and shrugged her shoulders.

"Eli… let me remind you…" Vadim stood up, "You fear the Golden Saints."

"Yes." Erielle continued, "The reason you looked away that day was due to the fact that you and your husband were threatened by them."

The look on Eleanor's face switched from enthusiasm to doubt.

"You knew? All that time?" She asked.

"Yes. It didn't need much of a brain to figure out what scared you that day." Erielle said casually.

"But… that's why you guys… never blamed me?" Eleanor asked as she backed a step.

"Obviously." Vadim said, "Girl, the only thing I blame you for is not looking in Leon in the face that day. But that's something I can't hold in my heart forever and I let it go years ago."

Eleanor swallowed her saliva and bitterly looked down.

"Thanks." She said.

"Well, I am sure that the saints won't interfere this time. They hardly care about us lowly mortals unless it bothers their interest." Vadim cheerfully said as he returned to his desk.

"I wouldn't be sure of that if I were you." Eleanor spoke.

"Wait, what?" Vadim looked back, "What do you mean?"

Eleanor let out a heavy breath and struggled to find the right words.

"It wasn't the Saint Protector of the Royal Family that threatened you, was it?" Erielle caught up on the situation right at an instant.

"No. It wasn't." Eleanor shook her head, "It was the Saint Protector of the East."

This particular piece of information felt like a hammer spanking each of them right on the head.

"Protector of the East?" Vadim made a grim face, "That means not only Leon was given up by his father but… by the entire Eastern Lords."

Eleanor looked down and nodded.

"True."

"My mother would never agree to this." Vadim shouted.

"The Tsarina has a little say in the matter, believe me." Eleanor explained.

"It is like… we have become a group of insurgents." Erielle said.

"We have always been." Vadim said and looked at Eleanor, "The East is not his alley, the West is his enemy, and the Capital wants him dead. Even if he escapes, where would he go?"

"The East is not an enemy just yet." Eleanor said, "We still have friends."

"It is risky." Vadim spoke, "I'd take him to the Dwarves Empire. He'll be welcomed like royalty if he chooses exile."

"If he does, I will take him to Skydom. He always wanted to see the Elven Cities." Erielle said.

"It won't be good." Eleanor shook her head, "They will go after my daughter if that happens."

The East and the West are not best friends and the Royal Family keeps the balance. Leon is not useful to the East as a weak Lord but he's useful to the Royal Family to keep some key figures from the East in check. Without Leon, Alice will be the target, Alice won't choose exile as she has the potential to lead the Eastern Lords but not as strong support as Leon's who has the Three Ducal Houses in his back. Even in the Three Ducal Houses, not everyone wanted Leon to be a figurehead such as his father. Each family has its inner struggles and scheming factions. The Dwarves are part of the East and despite being an independent state, they can't defy the Golden Saint who acts as the Sole Protector of the East and has the final say in the matter.

Simply putting it, nothing is that simple and the political scene is currently hating Leon.

"As Annabelle used to say, One Objective." Vadim said, "What is our objective?"

"Our stronghold is still the East." Eleanor said, "Leon has the strength that surpasses everyone in his age group. I don't know what kind of strength is that but we can assume he will continue to grow splendidly."

"Fine. We take him to the East and we start clearing it out of opposition?" Vadim asked.

"That will be the current objective. Unite the East politically and protect our families. Once we meet Annabelle and deliver Leon safely, she will put everything together in a proper plan."

"I agree." Erielle said.

"Aye!" Vadim nodded.

"Good. Even though my former family won't sit still, it will be better than to play their game by their stupid rules." Eleanor finally made the decision.

"Oh, speaking of your former family. What happened to that Crown Prince guy?" Vadim got sidetracked immediately.

"Oh! That…" Eleanor cleared her voice, "Let's say… the Royal family is summoning every Healer in the land to ensure its bloodline remains between their legs."

"Holy…" Vadim's face changed color.

"Woah! I certainly was not invited." Erielle asked, "But what about you, Eli?"

"What about me?"

"Weren't you responsible for your Students' safety? The Royal Family isn't just going to punish you?"

"Oh! That." Eleanor said, "I blamed it on Edward, to be honest."

"Hah! She's the Face for a reason. How did you manage?" Vadim asked.

"Well… During the raid when things got down when Leon first appeared, I ordered the kids to stop the raid and stand on defense while I inspect the Goblin Den from inside. Edward disobeyed a direct order and started attacking the cave with Fireballs which, by some chance, led me to be trapped inside as rocks fell on me. By the time I got out, the situation was already over."

"The Queen of Bullshit." Erielle raised her cup.

"Aye!" Vadim grinned.

"Hey! I said never call me…"

*Knock Knock Knock*

At the time the door knocked and the three went quiet. No matter what, the presence behind the door is extremely faint.

A high stealth… no, Magically covered.

"Come in." Vadim spoke with his hand on the hammer under his desk. Erielle and Eleanor were circulating their Mana as well.

The door opened, two figures in white clothes appeared. They looked clean and rich but their expressions were solid like metal.

An intense atmosphere started to evolve as the two figures walked in with their faces revealed. The one ahead was a female of a shorter build than the male behind her. The two of them have black hair, eyes, and pale skin. Their hairstyle felt a bit sharp as well but they were kinda different in terms of mannerism. The two of them looked in their mid-twenties though.

Vadim let go of the hammer he was about to pull and walked around his desk to the front facing the girl and before she could react, he rushed at her and grabbed her up and the two burst into laughter.

"Look at you, Lara! I've missed you dearly, girl!" He laughed

"Haha! Vadim, it has been ages." The girl Lara replied as she hugged Vadim.

Beside her, the other man stepped ahead.

"Aunt Eleanor, Aunt Erielle. We meet again." He spoke.

"Good day to you too, Lance." Eleanor said.

"I haven't seen you and your brother together in ages, Lance. I can almost mix between you now." Erielle also greeted him.

As if he was instantly touched, Lance held his face which seemed to have had a little blush unfitting of a young man such as him.

"Truly. Leon resembles me that much now?" Lance asked, hardly concealing his happiness.

"Tsk tsk tsk. Lance has always had a soft spot of little Leo." Lara hit her brother on the back, "Anyway, we just wanted to drop by and see what is the latest on Leon. You still can't find him after he escaped?"

"Haaah! That boy has an infuriatingly good talent in disappearing." Vadim said.

"And Magic as we last heard." Lance said.

"But Leon using Magic? This is something to celebrate. Maybe fix the wedge in the family between mom and dad." Lara said.

""""I doubt."""" Erielle, Eleanor, Vadim, and Lance spoke at the same time.

"Yeah. Wishful thinking." She looked down and felt a little better.

"My sweet daughter-in-law." Erielle stood up and held Lara's hands, "Don't let it get to you. So, how was the investigation on your sides?"

Lara accepted a hug from Erielle while Lance started speaking.

"It went all over the place." He said, "First, we tried to investigate a hand in the Northern District called the Bull Gang which is a part of the Syndicate. The only clue led us to a heist of a painting known as the Pride of Del Mar."

"The Pride of Del Mar? I wanted that painting so much." Eleanor said, "Shame my butler couldn't arrive in time when it was stolen."

"This trail went cold after the disappearance of the Gang of the Bull so we investigated another rumor. Some sort of Brothel Owner was looking into the incident in which Leon escaped and wanted to buy information about the one who escaped. She seemed to have been misled though."

"I believe the Royal Agents were also on that trail." Vadim said.

"Indeed they were. They arrived at the same result as us. That brothel owner seemed to be trying to ride on the chance and make connections with the aristocracy involved."

"Which brothel?" Vadim asked.

"I think it went by the Honey Saloon or something?" Lara said.

"An inn then, not a brothel."

"Does it make any difference? I wouldn't take cover in that place's shadow even if it kills me." Lance said.

"But I heard that you went to see Alice?" Eleanor asked.

"Yes, we were tired and we wanted a fresh set of eyes. She said something about House De Sade being a potential prospect to look for a place Leon may hide." Lara said.

"A bit far-fetched." Vadim said.

"My daughter has an unusual way of thinking. Did she tell you the reason?" Eleanor asked.

"Instinct, she said." Lance answered.

"Won't help with someone as tricky as Leon." Erielle shook her head.

"There is a final clue, however." Lara said looking at Lance.

"When Vadim gave us access to the guild records, we took the liberty to check on Leon's papers and… his Appraisal Ceremony documents are, as we know, forged."

"We looked for the forger and found a fellow who goes by Zal. A Monkey from the Twilight Syndicate."

"Ah, he is called the Artist. I know of him. A nutjob fellow. What did he say?" Vadim asked.

"We were just heading out to see his place." Lance said.

"We were just about to head out as well. We came up with a good… attitude, I'd say. Not gonna say a plan." Vadim said.

"Fair." Eleanor nodded.

"So, the five of us?" Lara asked.

"Let's see to it then."

And a group of absurd five individuals headed out to look for Leon. It was afternoon and the day was a good day to do some mischief.

Read Early Content on Patre0n. Also consider Commenting and Joining Discord all on this URL: https://linktr.ee/donovel
[Patre0n latest chapter: 85]

59