71: System Upgrade
1.8k 6 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Read Early Content on Patre0n. Also consider Commenting and Joining Discord all on this URL: https://linktr.ee/donovel
[Patre0n latest chapter: 86]

"I am glad to see you alright, Jessica." Leon said.

"You came back?" She looked at him in awe.

"I wronged some people and I owe you. Even a thief should have some honor." He laughed, "You can stand?"

"Yes, I feel… a lot better actually." She nodded and looked towards Jordi who was heating some food for her, "I just wished you never told him."

"Oh." Leon looked between Jordi and Jessica, "Don't push away your family."

"Listen, Leo. Ruth has the support of the Spider. He is a very fearsome and rich Boss and they will look for me. I don't want Jordi to be caught in this shit."

"Don't worry about it. We'll take care of Ruth."

"That's…"

"Tonight." Leon said.

Leon's words were serious. He was serious. But he was ignorant.

"You can't." Jessica shook her head, "How do you think we were defeated?"

"The Spider?"

"Yes but… that's not all. There is a subordinate of the Spider beside Ruth. Very powerful. Very scary. She… just… effortlessly… it was terrible, Leo."

"Tell me more." Leon took interest in what she was talking about.

"I'll tell you." Jordi approached as he put the plates of porridge in front of them, "Let's just start by saying it wasn't a human."

"A Monster?" Leon frowned.

"What? No. It looks like a human but it is like… not sure how to say this. Claws, fangs, eyes. Even the hair around her face didn't look human." Jordi said.

"A beast person?" At that time, Zal asked.

"I see." Leon nodded.

"Those are rare to see in these parts. They rarely come out of Udyrheim in the north." Zal said, "As you most certainly know. Those beast heretics are a mockery of the Light and Humanity."

Leon looked at Zal with a lag on his face. That was obviously racism just now.

"How would I know that I wonder?" Leon asked.

"Oh! Ooooh! Right." Zal looked at Jessica who wasn't informed that Leon is a so-called holy man or whatever.

Leon still looked at Zal with judging eyes. Jordi continued where he left off.

"That woman beast person was very agile. Flexible to the point it scared me. I hit under the stairway and watched it all." He said.

"How strong is she?" Leon asked.

"From what I saw, about the same as you." Jordi replied.

"What?" Jessica became taken aback, "Leo can't possibly be that…"

"You want the truth?" Jordi looked at her then looked at Leon who nodded to him, "I saw him dispatch two dogs earlier this morning as if he was killing flies. No knives, no claws, no blood even."

"I knew he was good… not this good though." Jessica replied.

"Just… don't doubt him." Jordi said while trying to hold Leon in some esteem.

"Alright." She didn't figure out what they were up to but it was thanks to him that she was saved.

"Back to work, Zal." Leon said.

"Of course, sir."

Leon watched Zal run back to the painting he was recreating and before he gave his full attention to that, he turned at Jessica.

"Do you still have any of the men left?" He asked.

"Of course not." She replied, "Ruth killed some to scare the others and the rest escaped."

"She can kill in plain sight? Isn't the syndicate formed to prevent such chaos?"

"She doesn't care about chaos. Ruth is a bitch through and through. She killed our mother just because she was jealous. She went after anyone who would threaten her position and kept me as a whore just to make an example of any other whore who would defy her."

"And she never expected you would revolt?"

"She knew I would eventually. She was just always ready for me. After the Bull's disappearance, the laws of the district are bound to change until the other Bosses divide it among themselves."

"So the killing will spread unless?" Leon looked at Jessica expecting her to come up with an answer.

Sadly, Jessica shook her shoulders unaware of what more to do.

"Unless we fight Chaos with Chaos." It was then when Jordi spoke.

"Sounds ominous." Leon said, "Go on."

As Leon and Jessica looked at him, Jordi felt a little bit awkward as it wasn't like him to be a thinker but this was his moment to shine.

"When you asked Jessica about revolting against Ruth, an idea came to my head. Revolting."

"Hm?" Leon didn't really catch it.

"What?" Jessica, on the other hand, realized what Jordi was after.

"The Revolutionary Front."

"Oh!" Leon made an understanding face then a confused one, "You're talking about those people who go on protesting everywhere?"

"Yes, but those are just normal people." Jessica said, "The Revolutionary Front are the ringleaders of the protests. They are some sort of rebels who cause havoc to fuel up the protests and turn it into a revolution that fixes the people's lives."

"Oh! Freedom Fighters." Leon finally found the term.

"Hmmm… kinda." Jessica and Jordi answered.

"Man! This brings back memories. Back when I was in business, countries would pay those so-called Freedom Fighters to wreak havoc in the enemy countries. The right term to use was Contracted Killers but whatever."

Leon scratched his chin and pointed to Jordi.

"Do you know any of those people?"

"Yes, they gather up in a certain saloon. A friend of mine works there."

"Alright. Go set up a meeting with one of their leaders with me. Tell them we want their manpower and in exchange, I will trade with them a very effective weapon that will shift the scales in their favor."

Jordi looked at Jessica and she wasn't sure what to say but she eventually nodded.

"Jordi." She called, "Also, go by Molly's house and see her husband. Tell him to go to the saloon and to tell her to make sure that the girls stay in their rooms no matter what happens."

"Alright." Jordi stood up, put on his cap, and walked out of the warehouse as the sun was setting.

"Can you walk?" Leon asked Jessica.

"Yes."

"Good. Rest up now and when the time comes, be ready to take over the Saloon."

"We still didn't figure out what to do with the Spider." She said.

"With the Spider being just an outsider to the district, I doubt he will be able to do anything about those revolutionary guys. When Ruth is done for, you can cut a deal with him yourself."

"Alright."

Leon was finally done strategizing with Jessica and left her to rest. He then walked up and went to Zal.

"Looking good?"

"So far so good. I am just going to lose the sunlight now and I doubt the lamb will do me any good. Can I finish it tomorrow?"

"What is your progress?"

"I am almost certain that I copied most of the painting's remains except for the details in that corner. The central part which was torn has most of the Sea Serpent's head and when I think about it, I start doubting myself."

"You still remember it?" Leon asked.

"Yes but not to the finest detail."

"No problem. The optical memory is less than 60% accurate. While you do that, I'll think about something… and why don't you move towards that corner. There's more light over there."

"Hm?"

Leon was pointing to a less lightened corner which made Zal confused but he was actually making his hand glow. Zal caught on to that in a second and made an amazed face.

"Of course. I am clumsy indeed. Hahaha!"

Zal immediately started to move his workstation then Leon came after him and cast [Light Magic - Dancing Lights].

A few orbs appeared in the air casting pure white light to their surroundings which gave Zal much better visibility.

"Don't forget anything or I'll make you start over." Leon said.

"Don't worry, Your Grace. I have all the steps written. If I forget anything, I will stab myself in the eyes and present them as…"

"For fuck's sake, stop."

Leon got done with Zal and walked away.

He finally had nothing to do for the coming hour at least. He would love to catch some sleep but he's going to be very busy at the moment.

He headed out to a table, lit the candles using a little spark of his magic, and put a book in front of him.

"The Arcane Theory."

Day by day, Leon recognized how absurd this Magic theory book is. If he was asked how much he understands about the Theory, he'd say around 1%.

He memorized the book magically but he doesn't understand much of what it says unless for a few lines. Those lines gave Leon a very deep insight into Magic.

"Magic, whether it is an Elemental Sorcery or an Arcane Technique, depends on the concept of understanding and the limits of imagination and talent." The book said so.

In other words, Magic is a Concept, a phenomenon, Mana is the actual power, Spells are the manifestation.

The Manifestation of the Power depends on the Concept of imagining the Power. The imagination is the will that is applied to control Mana while the Talent is the ability to apply the will and produce the Concept.

It starts with an idea and ends with a concept.

"Magic is more like Philosophy for it loves to challenge the mind."

Leon understood those parts to the heart and recited them with his mind. The understanding of the Concept released his imagination even more and his will became fluid whenever it gets twinned with Mana.

Ridiculous enough, his Magic reached the unrestrained level overnight. This allowed him to apply the manifestations of the Mana in different ways.

For example; he can use Air Magic to create a Vacuum by spreading his Mana in a spot, pulling all the Air into his Storage, then trying to maintain the vacuum as much as possible. If possible, he can control Metal from Earth, Ice from Water, Electricity from Fire, and much more.

Those applications were in the book though which means the people of the world already know about them. The Vacuum Blast was his idea for the most part though.

But the Concept of Magic can still widen. Leon was good with the Elemental Sorcery but he still had it tough with the Arcane Arts.

The Combat Magic was very simple since it included Magic and Physical Application but the Knowledge Magic is still a mystery and Leon needed that.

In a way, the [Knowledge Magic - Read] spell is the most overpowered spell Leon has. With it, he can see everything about his opponents, read full books, and access his own status.

But that's because the concept of Reading works on what he understands.

But what if he can read something else?

One of the impossible applications of this spell is to try and read a foreign language. No matter what he does, if he can't understand it, he can't read it.

"I need more insight."

Leon decided to risk it now. He had that thing he kept delaying and he's not sure if this is a wise choice to take but he was at the limit.

He finally took out the Hint Gem which he still kept.

"So. The Ring wants me to Read this so it can access its power. In a way, I am identifying it for you so that you can increase your abilities. If you hadn't controlled my mind earlier, I wouldn't have even considered the risks. Sadly, now I am desperate."

Even after two months since reincarnation, Leon couldn't level up the Knowledge Magic skill even once. It got under his skin that this magic, which he uses all the time, is this difficult to master.

"Alright, you wanted it, you'll get it. Read!"

< Analyzing… >

< Analysis Complete! >

"That was fast!"

< System Upgrade Item "₱#!£¡@№6®3® $70№€" is encrypted by an unauthorized user. "₱#!£¡@№6®3® $70№€" requires the command of Decryption and Data Reset. Do you wish to proceed? Y/N >

"You're taking my opinion now. I am glad we're progressing." Leon smirked in mockery, "Alright, go ahead."

< Decrypting… %1 >

The process started to take a while and Leon was mesmerized by the strange behavior of the System whenever the Ring takes over.

The Ring of Horus has a strange power that interferes with the System of this world. This System which was created by the Holy Mother who is the prophetic figure of the Light Faith.

Why can the ring do that? This question is beyond Leon's understanding. The fact that a game's world turned into reality was surely the doing of the ring but in a way, it is impossible for the ring to create a reality which only means that the Ring is not the only thing that is at play here.

The Game was as well.

Harem Impact, with such a silly name, there's no way that a story of a Prince just passed through time and space to a world where reality had nothing such as Magic.

"There's no answer no matter what I try to think."

< Decryption Complete! >

"Finally."

< Data is being reset. >

< Success! >

< You have acquired the System Upgrade Item, "The Philanderer Stone". >

"The what now?" Leon laughed uncontrollably.

His laughter ended short, however, when he looked at the ring in utter abhorrence.

"You little piece of shit. What do you want me to do with a thing called the Philanderer Stone?"

As if to answer his question. A message appeared.

< Importing Data… Confirming Upgrades… >

< System Authority has increased. >

< The secondary attribute [Charisma] shall be added to your Status. >

< Calculating your passive Charisma. >

< New Functions added! >

< Upgrade Complete! >

As a series of messages just passed through, Leon felt as if his head was splitting from the amount of information that went in. When he looked at his status, there was indeed a secondary attribute displayed.

——————————
< Status >
- Name: Leon Dark
- Age: 16
- Race: Human
- Level: 21
- Class: Warrior (+10% Str)
- Class: Rogue (+10% End)
- Titles:{Legendary Thief} {Man Slayer} {Black Cobra} {Rabbit} {Arcane Theorist} {Unholy Thief}
——————————
< Main Attributes >
Strength: 31
Endurance: 32
Agility: 32
Perception: 32
Intelligence: 37
< Secondary Attributes >
Charisma: 11
——————————
< Proficiency >
- Talent: 200%
- Affinity: All
- Special: Dual Class
——————————
< Skills >
- Artillery Technique Lv.9 
- Blade Technique Lv.6 
- Unarmed Technique Lv.5 
- Stealth Technique Lv.8 
- Riding Technique Lv.6 
- Martial Technique Lv.5 
- Swimming Technique Lv.3 
- Engineering Technique Lv.3 
- Polearm Technique Lv.3 
- Marksmanship Technique Lv.3 
- Woodworking Technique Lv.2
- Drafting Technique Lv.1 (New)
- Enhanced Stamina Lv.5 
- Enhanced Mana Sense Lv.3 
- Fatigue Resistance Lv.4 
- Poison Resistance Lv3 
- Pain Resistance Lv.4 
- Physical Resistance Lv.3 
- Mental Resistance Lv.5 
- Heresy Resistance Lv.3 
- Hemorrhage Resistance Lv.1 
- Fire Resistance Lv.2 
- Acid Resistance Lv.1 
- Space-Time Magic Lv.1 
- Knowledge Magic Lv.1 
- Shadow Magic Lv.2 
- Light Magic Lv.2 
- Fire Magic Lv.1 
- Air Magic Lv.3 
- Mysticism Magic Lv.1 
- Earth Magic Lv.4 
- Combat Magic Lv.5 
——————————
< Features >
Ring of Relife
Unrestrained Magic
——————————

Read Early Content on Patre0n. Also consider Commenting and Joining Discord all on this URL: https://linktr.ee/donovel
[Patre0n latest chapter: 86]

59