003 – Guild
177 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thanks to Dianne’s help, it didn’t take long for Eli to find the guild. It was just as she had described it, a wide three storey building with a vertical banner depicting two crossed swords draped over the front. After spending an appropriate amount of time admiring its architecture, he walked through the front door.

The inside of the Adventurer’s Guild was a lively den. There were four counters, with a line of adventurers in front of each. Some people were seated around tables, laughing as they swapped stories and boasted about their latest deeds.

Eli also spotted a large bulletin board covering the entire eastern wall, where many sheets of paper were pinned. Eli approached the board and realized that all of these sheets were requests. Some were from the guild itself, offering payment for materials or proof of subjugation of different monsters. Others were more specialized tasks like caravan escorting and even advertisements for dungeon parties.

 

  1. WANTED! Any herbalist, apothecary, or other skilled healer to be the fifth member of our D Rank exploration group. Must be able to hold his/her own in battle. Offering 25% share in loot!

 

  1. Has anyone seen my cat!? Fluffy, white, and fat female, answering to the name of Mallow. A reward of 50 silvers if she is returned to the guild or my residence in...

 

  1. Subjugation Request: Gnolls have been breeding prolifically in the Elkwood Forest’. Reward: 80 coppers for every gnoll nose collected.

 

  1. Collection Request: The apothecary’s guild requires a large amount of Mending Dewgrass. Reward: 35 coppers for every tuft.

 

  1. Collection Request: Armorsmith Pentaro needs a large supply of  “Three-Horned Red Boar” hides. The beasts can be found in the Elkwood Forest. Recommended to be at least C-Rank before attempting this request. Reward: 7 silvers per hide, more if in good condition.

 

Eli looked them over at a glance, fascinated at how fantasy-esque everything was. Well, everything except for the missing cat request, which incidentally offered one of the highest rewards on the board. Maybe it belonged to a rich person.

When he had his fill looking at the different requests, he lined up at one of the counters and waited until it was his turn. Surprisingly, despite the number of people, the lines moved fast and he didn’t have to wait very long.

“Next!”

Eli walked up to the old lady who was manning the desk.

“Hello, I’d like to register as an adventurer.” He said in his friendliest voice.

The old lady looked him up and down. “Your equipment?”

“I haven’t bought anything yet, but I’m planning to do so tomorrow morning.”

“...Well, don’t enter the dungeon or take on any Subjugation Requests until you’re properly outfitted.” The lady sighed, then handed a form over to him. “Fill it out, and then place your hand on the pedestal beside me.”

“Yes ma’am.”

The receptionist looked surprised for a while, then laughed.

“Aren’t you the polite one. You sure you’re signing up for the right business, boy?”

Eli smiled and paid no further attention to her words. He concentrated on filling out the form, which didn’t ask much other than his name, age, and occupation (he just used ‘swordsman’).

The lady clucked her tongue a few times when he handed the filled out form over. “Such neat handwriting too, you’d be an excellent clerk.”

“Thank you, but I really want to be an adventurer.” Eli said, then placed his hand on the pedestal. No way am I going to become a clerk! Drowning in paperwork for two lives in a row? Do I look like a masochist to you?

 

Name: Eli

HP - 50/50 MP - 50/50

Level: 1

Class: None

Affiliations: Kingdom of Lucretia (Citizen)

Bounty: None

Statistics:

STR - 5  END - 5

DEX - 5   AGI - 5

MAG - 5   WIS - 5

 

Skills:

  1. Basic One Hand Swordsmanship (Novice)
  2. Analysis (Mastered, Hidden)
  3. Otherworld Language Comprehension (Mastered, Hidden)

 

Similar to what happened when he entered the city, the blue stone lit up and a bunch of lines entered his mind. The receptionist seemed to be reading the same information as him, since her eyes were moving.

 

“Hmm. Your basic stats are good, but you’re probably the oldest level 1 I’ve ever seen. Have you never even left your village before? Such a sheltered child.” She laughed lightly while pulling out a small card from the pedestal’s base. “I’m getting more and more worried about you, so be careful alright? Here’s your card.”

“Thank you.” He looked at the card with interest. There was a lifelike image of him in the upper right corner, and four lines of text.

 

Name: Eli

Rank: D

Base: Yeon Adventurer’s Guild

Issued in the name of Branch Master Lorena Blackwake on Month 3 Day 18, Y687.

 

“This card will serve as your proof of identity and will be required for any transactions in the guild. There’s no fee for this one, but if you lose it the replacement will cost 5 silver coins so be careful. The requirement for being promoted to a C-Rank hunter and testing for a Class is to be at least level 10 and either complete three Subjugation Requests or defeat the 5th floor Dungeon Boss. Do your best to grow safely.”

The receptionist looked like a fussy worried aunt as she said that last part, making Eli smile despite being tired of hearing it over and over. “Thank you, Ms. Matilda.” He said, reading the nameplate on her desk.

“Don’t mention it dearie. Now, is there anything else I can help you with?”

Eli remembered his other purpose for coming here. “Um, I’m actually looking for an inn. Do you have any suggestions?”

Matilda’s eyes closed thoughtfully. “There’s an inn that’s popular among newbie adventurers like you. It’s comfortable, in a safe area, and only charges 1 silver and 50 copper coins a night. It also provides dinner for free if you’re willing to serve tables and wash plates.”

Eli smiled helplessly.

He had worked part time in restaurants as a teenager so he didn’t think that such work was beneath him, but the thought of spending his first night in an otherworld waiting on tables was a bit… in any event, he wasn’t broke so he’d just pay for the meal.

“Its name is the Grassland Mare, located at the east residential block...”

Matilda gave him directions and Eli listened gratefully. When he thanked her again and finally left the Adventurer’s Guild, he realized that the sky was starting to turn orange.

I’d better find that inn soon then.

2