10. Was Once A Great Man
1k 10 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The young lady Ayan patted her beautiful new dress, looked at her glittering new hairpin and smiled to herself. Today she is going to the parade to meet the heroes. Oh, she also decided to buy flowers. Lots and lots of flowers, enough to make a pretty rain.

Clayton sat on his tall horse, freshly groomed and fed with its favourite carrot. The parade was long and fun, the petals rained down on them as people sent in their good wishes and gratitude.

It was his first time joining the battle and they won a victory against the enemies. He was even happier when he saw the little lady waving at him.

With wisps of red hair flying, she stood on the tallest balcony grinning at him.

Clayton smiled back ignoring the golden-haired girl giving him a bouquet.

 

 [The Saintess Came To Watch The Parade.]

 


 

Ayan was frightened seeing Clayton collapsed on the ground a few meters from the entrance. His cane was on his far right while he lay here in a sorry state with bruises and scrapes on his knees and arms.

"Why… what happened?" 

Clayton saw her panicked reaction, then he lowered his eyes, "I, I want to go to the toilet…"

"Father."

"Daddy." 

The twins ran to his side and hovered at him worriedly. 

"Why did you get up? Mommy said you're not feeling well." 

"Father, you must take plenty of rest," Raven said, distressed looking at his father's wounds.  

Clayton avoided their eyes and touched their heads, "This is nothing to be alarmed about, I am fine. I just stumbled on a rock." 

Ayan couldn't describe what she is feeling right now. Her whole body was chilled, she was shaking as well. The strange thing is that she felt like having a loud cry out of nowhere. Wordlessly, she picked up his cane and helped him get up in one smooth move. She did not know where she got the strength to pull such a huge man to his feet. Ayan put the cane back to his hand and said chokingly, 

"Do not be stubborn. The children will worry." 

She was answered by a soft grunt that seemed to be an affirmation. 

The four of them walked back to the cave, Raven hastily made the bed to let their father lie back comfortably. Ayan stood quiet on the side for several moments, lost in thoughts, before she remembered she needed to clean his wound. Clayton did not try to prompt her, he watched as she ran around looking for medicine, a short while later she wiped the scapes with antibiotic ointment. 

Clayton remained silent while she did her part fixing him up. Her cheeks were pale, the rims of her eyes were suspiciously red and her mouth that had been talking non-stop these past few days had flattened into a thin line indicating her upset. It was uncomfortably silent all throughout the process, none of them spoke, yet his eyes did not leave her.

Ayan told the boys to look after him first, she then walked out of the cave. She did not go far. She sat under a lush tree and cried her heart out. She dare not do it in front of Clayton. 

How could she not know that he ran out of the cave in panic? He must have thought that he had been abandoned after waking up seeing no one was around so despite his weakened state he pushed his body up to look for them. He just had a bad fever, it must have been painful to stand let alone walk but he, he got up. At the age of twenty-two, a youth barely out of college. If he were in her world, he should have been enjoying the prime of his life going out with friends or doing what he likes. 

But this is Clayton in this world, high born, a proud warlord that fell from the heights. He had been shouldering the burden for so many years. A young man enduring the slander to his name, the insult to his hard work and the attitude of his troublesome wife. All for the sake of his children. 

She can see that he had poured his all for the little boys. They were the only ones left to him now. 

For days they went on nonstop, finding the easiest way, avoiding dangers and she did not hear him utter a complaint. Even a seasoned soldier would need to rest what more Clayton. He is handicapped and at the limit of mental fatigue. 

Not seeing his sons when he awoke, the feeling must have crushed him. 

Ayan never knew sadness until she saw him there lying like a dead person. It was as if the world had abandoned him. If by chance they did not come back, Ayan can already imagine what he will do. She leaned on the tree hugging her knees crying silently. She did not understand why she felt like this. She had seen a lot of tragedies but nothing felt more real than Clayton's pain, it cut her heart. 

It took a while before she calmed down. 

Minutes later, Ayan pulled her face and smiled. She had let out the negative emotion and felt refreshed. But now that she is calm, she dreaded the moment of coming back into the cave as a wash of awkwardness came over.  

Why did she run out?

What excuse would she tell him for escaping?

Ayan groaned then decided to go to the stream first. Perhaps the cold water may have been the solution and so after cleaning her face, she walked back to the cave. The twins are sitting on both sides of their father quietly watching him. When she entered, Clayton opened his eyes. 

He was looking at her. Or more precisely to her swollen eyes. Ayan smiled stiffly. 

"How do you feel?"

"Much better," he said in a low voice. He eased himself up, Carmine took a pillow and put it on his back. "I will listen to you, I will not run out again."

Ayan's ears pricked. Did she hear him right? He was talking gently to her? 

"You better…" she murmured trying not to cry again. 

Huhuhu, it finally bore fruit. Patience is the key! 

Her distorted face did not escape his eyes. For some reason, he found it funny. 

"These things…"

"Ah," Ayan found it hard to open the topic about the fairy ring all of a sudden. 

She sat on a nearby mat. 

He looked at her. Waiting. 

Ayan felt a shudder rising from her toes up when those penetrating gaze locked on her. Clayton still waited, he was in no hurry, the person however appeared to be a lot more nervous than she showed. She would chew on her lower lip, looking everywhere but to him. 

"Ayan…"  

Ayan sucked back her fright and flicked her finger. A set of cooking utensils, much to his surprise, appeared out of thin air. 

"I-It's a magic artefact given to me. It can store a lot in it and... also has plenty of things not of this world. To be precise, this is like a tiny dimension." 

"What mommy said is true," Carmine chirped in. 

Ayan took out a strawberry, then orange and gave it to the children. 

"The strange fruits from before were also from there?" He asked with a calm expression. 

She nodded. Wait, why did he say strange? "These strawberries and oranges..."

"I have not seen anything like them before."

Her eyes went to the twins and she was given a nod.  

Ayan was stunned. "C-Coco what is going on?" 

"Just like he said, the fruits you brought are not seen in this world. Most of the ones you have inside the fairy ring are undiscovered varieties." Coco replied. It was his fault for neglecting to inform her about this. 

"Don't worry, I don't think the marquess is the kind who would be frightened just because you are a little peculiar."

Him, frightened of her? It's the other way around, dummy!  

She faced Clayton with a serious look, "The fairy ring is not harmful. The fruits are good for the body and the other things are very useful." 

"Alright." Clayton believed. He can see the children in good spirits, they are freshly bathed and wearing odd but comfortable clothing. "However, it may be dangerous if outsiders knew."

Ayan blinked then bobbed her head like a rattle, "I understand, this secret only belongs to our family of four. When we reach the exit, I will try not to use it too often but while we are here, let me."

He had not answered for a while. His mind was still engrossed in what she said 'our family of four'. Does that mean that even her father is not aware of her ability? Only he and the children know her secret. Clayton peered at her.

Warlocks are highly respected and enjoy attention from the common people as privileged individuals. Every person must have dreamt of becoming a warlock at least once. If she revealed that she can practice magic the king might change his mind and pardon her. So why didn't she?

Clayton had seen her wearing this ring for many years. He took it as an ordinary accessory she favoured. However, now it was different. To know that it was a magic artefact after all this time greatly surprised him. She clearly has an ace up her sleeve, it changes everything.

Ayan could have left and never looked back. She can do that— but not the Ayan in front of him now. Clayton fell into contemplation. Perhaps he hadn't understood her thoroughly from the very beginning. 

"I'm not going back to that kingdom if that is what you are worried about," Ayan said, throwing her sights outside the cave. "The reason I wanted to return is for father's sake but thinking about it now, he might have left the kingdom as well and went somewhere safe."  

Clayton was motionless, it was nerve wracking. 

"Didn't you have any desire to clear your name after a long silence?" 

Ayan wasn't sure if it was a genuine question or sarcasm. There was not much to make out from his detached expression.

She gave a wan smile, "Maybe at first, but I already realized my naivety. It has been so long, will people still remember? Even if they do, will they believe me after all these years?"

Not with a rival so powerful, she can twist the truth into lies and polish lies into truths. Run back there to plead once again that she had not done those crimes or ask the king to be fair? Haha…

"Oftentimes even the most solid evidence cannot save a person’s life. You know that being a soldier yourself, am I right milord?" Ayan adopted a nonchalant attitude as she went on, "If there is one thing I have learned while growing up in Lattice that is: Everything depends on the whims of the king."

So what if the rumours about her are not true? So what if the Grand Commander's family defended the kingdom for several generations? If the monarch wants you gone, you better start running in the opposite direction. 

"What kind of a king would dismiss a loyal vassal and turn a blind eye to the suffering of his subjects? It's not worth it."

He smiled faintly. Yes, she's right. They are not worth it and the farther they are from that place, the better. Everything they had in that kingdom is now gone, wealth, honour and titles. 

Clayton was silent for a few more moments before she heard him whisper, "Someday, he will find out what consequences his whims will bring him."

Ayan shook off the melancholy and beamed, "Since your body is not well, we will postpone moving forward for a few days. Is that alright?"

He nodded. "I listen to you but while I am indisposed, do wander too far from the cave when you go out. There are too many unknown beasts out there."

Ayan shivered. She had gotten so used into seeing docile looking animals these past few days that she completely neglected that there are more out there. Far bigger and powerful. Feral. 

"Don't worry, as long as they are not monsters or magical beasts, we can walk past without disturbing them." He subconsciously patted his right pocket. 

"That is to say you know the way?"

"Of course, why wouldn't I be?" Clayton asked, puzzled. Did she think they had been walking aimlessly?

The answer was written all over her face. 

Ayan felt stupid for asking suddenly. Of course you, ninny. Clayton only injured his leg, not his brain! 

To cover up her embarrassment, she made a lame excuse of doing something. Anything. 

Clayton watched her flee in a fluster then looked at his sons who were also looking at him with suppressed smiles. 

Hullo angels, you might get confused as to why I keep putting snippets above. Well, that's because I'm too lazy to put a full story of Ayan and Clayton's childhood hehe...

38