14. Getting Along
956 8 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

No one was more aware of his illness than Clayton himself.

It has been many years since he got injured by the enemy from the Datura clan, a group of lawless barbarians hidden deep within the mountains of Lattice. Yes, it wasn’t the invaders who managed to wound him, but the kingdom’s scourge instead.

Rumour has it that Datura were once a prominent and upright family of physicians who served the court. They saved countless lives during the Turmoil gaining their just reputation. However, the great name was eventually corrupted as ambition grew and thirst for power began to get the better of them. 

Datura Clan has many members, from its main family to its branches that eventually led to it being embroiled in a power struggle. As a result, countless opinions were formed and many ideals clashed. Some family members defied their old doctrine and began to indulge in taboo practices. 

The Lattice Kingdom ushered in a crisis. Different kinds of odd medicines circulated in the market, poisons began to proliferate and people were tempted. The monarch had no choice but to cut the source of the problem or the kingdom itself would be dragged down in the murk of their fight. Thus when the edict forbidding the use of poisons came down, Datura Clan was the first to fall down.

Unfortunately, not all of them were punished. Some escaped and chose to live in seclusion to recuperate. They laid quiet for so many decades until they regained their strength and started their revenge. 

The Grand Commander was tasked to patrol the borders of the north that time and ran into one of the barbarian’s hiding places. An inevitable clash happened, the young Clayton who accompanied his father got a small injury. It was only a trivial thing at first, like a small cut of a knife. Nobody would’ve expected that it would accompany him for a long time and erupt to torture him every full moon.

Thanks to the medicine he got when he met the little lady, the strange malady was reduced by half. Unfortunately, during his battle in the borders five years ago the old injury flared up causing him to nearly lose his left leg.  

Datura was known for publicising the poisons they made along with its cures. A trick to raise their victims' hopes for a time before gradually crushing them with despair. It was a twisted kind of revenge from a sinister enemy. 

Clayton knew from an elder that what he got was the poison called Hellfire, but the antidote could never be obtained in this lifetime. 

And even if you did manage to find one, it might have been at the cost of your own life.

The water jetting out in between the rocks fell on his body violently, but Clayton did not mind the pressure nor the cold. In fact, he quite liked it. Especially when he can feel the cold seeping into the flesh of his left leg and the caress of water on his skin. 

How long has it been since his left leg felt such minute sensations? Although he can move it, he had to endure the pain at every step and pretend that the growing numbness did not exist.

Sunlight bounced from the chrome colour of the sword blade to his eyes waking him from a long reverie. He realized he had been standing under the small waterfall way too long. If not for the Hellfire in his body, he would be shivering right now. The sword was placed near the clothes Ayan prepared. 

Speaking of it, he still hadn’t thanked her for opening the fairy artifact for him. The Enchantress Rose cane had been in their family for centuries, but none of them mentioned the secret. All his father knew was that it had to be passed down to the rightful heir of the family after he claimed the title. 

His lady presented it to him because she herself owned one. If it hadn’t been for her, there was no way he would have known. And there was no way to repair his broken leg.

He suddenly thought of Earl Elford’s insistence to marry her to him. Also, the many coincidences that the two of them shared since young… such as that medicine. 

There were three antidotes he had to take to completely destroy the poison of Datura in his body, but each one was impossible to obtain. 

Where the hell does he get one drop of fairy tears, a leaf from the Eternal Tree, and gold dragon’s blood? Ayan gave him the fairy tears when they were little, saving him from the pain. As for the remaining two…

"Daddy, it’s time to eat," Carmine called from the sandy bank.

The mischievous tyke sat on the side looking at the sword with shining eyes. 

"I’ll be there soon," he replied, then gently reminded, "The sword is very sharp, careful not to touch it." 

Carmine who had his little claws aimed at it retracted them back. He got caught hehe. Clayton shook his head and continued his bathing.

 

Night in the wilderness is a combination of excitement and fright, but Ayan had enough of both while her partner was away. Well not literally.

Escaping her tragic fate of being a wolf treat, she resumed the daily duty of looking after the children while curbing her anxiety by cooking. Thanks to this little hobby her mind was distracted, but after realizing she cooked enough to scare both Carmine and Raven, she was back to overthinking again.

She wasn't a paranoid person, it was a normal reaction from someone who grew up in a peaceful society. Though she loved outdoor camping she never had to worry about being any animal's next meal. Here, the danger she experienced was raw and it strung her nerves tight especially when there are two children who are particularly tender and juicy by her side. 

After worrying about food. She is now worrying about predators.

Coco said she was able to return because of someone's help that night. The last thing she remembered was the giant serpent's eyes staring at her. She thought that would be the end of her, but Coco told her that the creature had no malice towards her and it belonged to an old magical race. 

Then there is that mystical elk. If not for the bruises and scrapes she had she would have believed that everything was just a dream. Thankfully, the water from the lake recovered its energy and is now ready to use and healed her wounds. 

What she saw that night left a deep impression in her ordinary life.

The forest was enchanting, but Ayan was no longer the wide-eyed fool who thinks it was peaceful. She was done assuming since she was chased to death by those wolves. The earth-shaking experience had done enough to shatter her tranquil mind.

But you would be sorry to think she would just stay on the side and quiver like a frightened quail. 

What happened woke her up at the same time. It also made her anticipate the awakening of her partner in crime. (e.g. Marquess Clayton Rozenberg, Commander of the Thorns)

So now here she is in front of the bonfire facing her lord with an awkward smile after putting up the idea of asking him to help her strengthen her weak physique. To lessen the impact of embarrassment she purposefully opened a sixpack beer, made spicy chicken poppers and cold cucumber salad. You can imagine the lord's aghast expression. 

"Is the suggestion outrageous?" she asked tentatively.

Clayton was silent for a while before saying, "You should know that it wasn't going to be easy." 

Training his soldier may be normal, but his lady…? 

The sharp hiss from the beer can startle him a bit. Ayan handed it to him and put the plate of piping hot chicken in between them perhaps in hopes of bribing him. The thought nearly made him chuckle. 

"I can endure hardship. I just need your cooperation." 

He received the beer without airs and took his first sip of that sinfully cold, bitter-- it tastes so damn good beverage. Better than the ones he drank in the pub during night outs with his men. 

Seeing his eyes widen in surprise, Ayan knew she made the right move. 

"Are you certain about this?" he asked to confirm.

"You can punish me however you like every time I squeak a complaint. How does that sound?"

Clayton couldn't get over it. He looked at her as if she was possessed by 3 lunatics for half a day, but no matter how scandalized he is by the thought, he still had to agree. Well, the lady wants to improve herself. Why stop her?

This is a good sign. Though dreaming for a loving marriage might be far-fetched, he could very much expect a harmonious one with her being so agreeable like this. He took another sip and added a crunchy chicken in between. 

Clayton was merely obliging her, but who knew he would get addicted to the taste? The burst of spiciness plus the crisp and savoury flavour went well with the cold beer. Before he knew it, the two of them halved a large plate of chicken pops. 

"Alright, but I will decide on what kind of practice you can learn."

Ayan nodded eagerly. "Thank you!"

He looked over her side, past the flickering glow of the fire to her alluring grey eyes.

The colour reminded him of a stormy sky. Brewing fierce, unpredictable and exciting. Just like the weather he likes where he had to pull up his coat while enjoying the symphonic crackle of lightning. 

Right now those eyes were looking at him inquisitively, but dare not ask too much. Maybe it was the food, it could be because of the rare tranquil moment between them or maybe it was just his overall mood that made him think that perhaps it was time to fill her in with the details. 

Clayton decided to be honest with her about most of the plan. As for the rest, it can wait. 

"I have made preparations before leaving Lattice." He started after clearing his throat, "During the past five years of the new king's reign the court became unstable. In order not to be caught off guard, I gradually withdrew our important assets from the kingdom and transferred most of my trusted people to Asturia."

Ayan made no comment, she knew most of it from the novel's perspective. What she did not expect is that Clayton would tell her about his hidden cards himself. Does this mean he trusts her?

The question might sound ridiculous considering they are married, but who in this land doesn't know about their 'frigid' relationship? She never read anything about the lord openly revealing his wealth to his villainess wife. 

In fact, Lady Elford was thoroughly convinced he was now a penniless chap, but even so she did not leave him. Well, of course, aside from occasional tantrum fit which is to be expected from her spoiled and pampered self. Lady Elford would not voluntarily leave him if not for that unfortunate accident staged by the author to make the lord and the new heroine conveniently come together. 

Thinking about it made her mood fluctuate. 

Authors are like gods to these characters inside the story. It was she or he who set their personalities, backgrounds and such to conform with the world they made. But this is no longer a mere story, everyone here has thoughts of their own and a life to live. It was cruel to forcibly steer them away from their path just to make other people's lives convenient. 

Coco told her that she came here to correct the mistakes she made so she will do whatever it takes to see that goal reached. It doesn't matter if she became the true villainess incarnation as long as she can keep her people safe.

Ayan was quiet for a long time. Seeing her listening to him earnestly, Clayton went to ask. "Are you not mad at me?"

"Ah?" She was lost for a moment before coming back to her senses, "W-Why would I be?" 

Ayan had the urge to hit her head with a brick.  

"For keeping things from you. For excluding you from the decisions I made that may change our lives." 

She opened another can for herself while doing self-reflection. If she were a true ancient woman who lives by the society's standard and follows the common doctrine where a wife is submissive to her man, this kind of conversation was unheard of. It was already generous of Clayton to share his thoughts with her. However, Ayan is not ancient and her views have always been liberated. But still, she admired him for treating her with respect, if not unconditional trust. 

Lady Elford is such a lucky woman. 

She rubbed her thumb on the surface of the cool beer can, "Now that you told me, there is no reason to be angry. I understand why you did that. After all, I was very--" her tongue froze at the word horrible. She couldn't be cursing herself now, could she? That would be weird. 

Clayton never thought he would hear her say something so agreeable when he was fully expecting her to be flying into a rage. After all, she did suffer a lot these days. 

Still, he wants to make sure she does understand the severity of his choice. 

"My lady, we are entering a new territory which we do not have any influence whatsoever. Everything we inherit is null."

Ayan nodded gently. 

"Though I may not be able to give you the life of an aristocrat, I promise you and the children will not be aggrieved." he said solemnly. 

"I know you did your best," she suddenly said while looking at him with a silly smile. "Thank you."

Clayton was unprepared for it and didn't know how to react.  Thankfully, Ayan turned her eyes from him to the sleeping boys inside the cave and did not get to see his expression. 

She smiled. Not the flattering nervous smile he always sees her wear every day, but a real sweet smile that came from the heart. Through their days of getting along, he had picked up a lot of her habits, as well as the bad ones. 

He knew she was wary of him and she only relaxed her guard whenever she was with the twins. She could laugh and smile with them unrestrained while she was unconsciously reserved around him. Clayton was indignant at first, but he gradually adapted. He was the same himself. 

Both of them were still weighing each other's temper. Gauging moods and observing. He did not know why he eventually found the unusual relationship funny. 

Today he found out that Lady Elford was unexpectedly bold and cunning. He put his gaze back to the fire hoping to burn away the afterimage of that little minx's smile. 

Then he heard her say, "I'm glad you are honest with me."

She was prepared to live a peasant life the first time Coco told her about coming here. Adding a roof over their head is already considered a good deal. Titles are the least of her concerns. 

"Another thing, Asturia Empire may not be as peaceful as it is in the future. You have heard of the unrest erupting from several parts of the continent. However, among the other kingdoms out there, it is the only place I can think of for now. If you have other opinions in mind, you can tell me." 

"You also feel something is going to happen?" Ayan asked. 

"Just a hunch. The movements of other kingdoms are very suspicious, added with the gradual spread of the furies and wraiths in the mainland. The barrier holding the Dark Continent may not last long." 

Ayan's little heart jumped. So it's really going to happen. The demons will come out from hell and take revenge on the living.

This will be the start of the new volume about the fight between demons and men. Several kingdoms will fall under the siege of the dark legion. Famine, pestilence will ravage the land that even the old empire cannot resist.  

"D-Do you have a good plan?" She doesn't believe he will just let things happen just like that. 

"We'll find out once we reach the empire," he answered vaguely. 

He already arranged for his men to send a message to an old friend in Ava with regards to the upcoming outbreak. There was still a year before the estimated fall of the barrier. He just hoped that someone from the upper ranks heeded the warning and made early preparations. He may not be able to deliver the message directly to the emperor, but Clayton is, after all, a famous figure all over the continent. He may have lost his position, but his influence and prestige among his peers was still there. 

"I guess my choice to prepare was right after all," Ayan said absently while nibbling on the food pinched in between her fingers. 

She licked the red sauce off her thumb, a moist sheen was left on her lower lip. She licked it again putting Clayton's attention to her pink tongue. 

"How is your leg, by the way?" Ayan asked.

He blinked.

"It's good." It doesn't hurt as much as before and he didn't have to rely on a cane to prop himself upright.

 

You know I'm lame with titles... ahaha... been a while since I posted. Lots of things came up, thought I was going to get sliced for kidney stones so I got a little crazy for a while. Humph! Turns out, it was only infection. Darn thing kept me in bed for a long time. So remember folks, WATER. Lots and lots of water. Anyways, just wanna share with ya cos I'm sooo happy my baby kidneys are okay! :) 

37