21. Milord Read The Wrong Script?
788 8 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

At the gate, the captain of the guards talked to some people briefly before letting them in.  

Eliott and Knoll's mercenary team had to go to the garrison to file a formal report while the family followed the captain towards the inn in the middle of the city.

"Mr Rozenberg, my job ends here. If there is anything you need my assistance with, feel free to visit me in the garrison and I will be glad to help." The captain said amiably.    

Clayton tipped his head, "Thank you, I'll do that."

After bidding farewell, they were shown to their reserved room by the awaiting innkeeper. 

"It's beautiful in here," Ayan commented as she feasts her eyes on pillars made of dark wood and polished stone floor. The room is on the highest third floor with a generous space and large windows lined with potted herbs to drive away unwanted insects. 

The twins and Milk had been silent since they were out of the carriage. Perhaps a little uneasy with the new environment but after entering the room, they started moving about to see what's on the outside of the little balcony. 

She took their luggage and was about to sort them out when she remembered something, "How did you know the captain by the way?"

Clayton was amused when he saw her look around modestly while tempering her excitement several degrees.

"We are not acquainted. However, the captain most probably received the signal from one of our people."

Last night before the fight began, he fired a signal while everyone was occupied to indicate their location. Whoever among the Thorns is the nearest will also fire the same signal to beckon the rest. They will then congregate in one place and rush in his direction to report.  

"So your men are still far away from us." It wasn't a question but a statement, "Who paid for our dwelling then?" 

"Don't worry," he said gently and unconsciously reached for her hand. "Everything has been settled. I told you before, I will not let you and the children be aggrieved. The Thorns were sent here in advance to prepare for our arrival." 

He was glad he can perform more for their sake now aside from hunting for food and fighting monsters. She had grown tremendously since they left Lattice and he felt he should also do more to deserve her changes. 

Clayton pinched the soft pads of her palm and indulged at the feeling. 

Ayan on the other hand had another thought in her mind. They successfully escaped the forest without her getting into an accident thanks to Clayton's training and her vigilance to the surroundings. However, this also means that she will soon meet the heroine along with the Thorns.

In less than two months, her influence with Clayton's men must have flourished enough to gain their trust despite her awkward position. Actually, she had little memory of that woman but she dare not open the topic despite being able to freely banter with Clayton. 

The heroine was hired as a nursemaid of the twins two years ago.

Following the novel's trajectory, Clayton did save her from being auctioned in the brothel and offered her a job in the manor. She was also brought along when they left the kingdom. As to what extent her influence on Clayton is, she doesn't have a clue. 

Ayan was suddenly weary by thinking about this. The things she refused to delve in while they were travelling are now here to haunt her. 

Although the novel said that their passion will ignite after reuniting here in Asturia she couldn't help thinking if the two already formed some kind of an emotional bond before leaving the Lattice Kingdom. The husband and wife had a rift before and it was easy for anyone to sneak in between the cracks. 

The heroine is still a tricky character in her eyes. She dare not underestimate the woman protected by the almighty author. 

On the other hand, if the two were really in true love and the heroine is not some scheming social climber but an innocent person that couldn't harm other beings, she wouldn't mind letting them pair up. 

If she is the opposite of her expectations then, Ayan can only do her best to fill in the role entrusted to her. She wants to cling on the marquess to gain a foothold in society? She will cut her way.

Coco would have loved to see the glint of determination in her eyes!

Clayton noticed that she went silent when he mentioned the Thorns and wondered why she had such a reaction. 

"My men, you have never met them before." 

Ayan blinked, "No, I haven't."

"They are the best among the soldiers my father trained. I studied along with them and they became my close-knit brothers so…"

"You don't have to explain." She said with a nervous laugh. It doesn't matter if the Thorns doesn't approve of her but before her thoughts could stray he added solemnly, 

"Ayan, as my lady, be assured that they will be loyal to you as they are loyal to me. You and the children, they will always keep you safe." 

Her heart shook and looked up to him incredulously. The marquess said the wrong script! Apart from the 'my lady' part, everything he said was exactly the lines prepared for the heroine. 

How… How can he say that!?   

"I know we had our differences before but now I look forward to knowing you better. Is that good?"

"Ah?" She blurted out dumbly.

He smiled faintly, why is his lady's reaction so amusing every time?

"I will try to be more patient and I apologize for being lax in these past few years."

Ayan could not speak. She just stood there staring at him. 

"I remember you asked me for a chance before," Clayton said in a low murmur, "Can I also ask for the same chance, my lady? I will work hard."

"Y-Yes." She blushed. What kind of answer is that? This is not a marriage proposal. "I mean yes-- certainly."

Oops, that sounded even weirder.

Clayton's eyes twinkled and his whole features lightened as he graced her with a very rare warm smile. 

Oh lordy! That smile was foul. 

"Thank you, Ayan." 

She was right, a mere apology was not enough for both of them. They have to acknowledge their mistakes and accept that what happened was negligence on both sides. 

"Meow...?" My humans are doing something fun. I want to join too! 

Ayan was taken aback when Milk jumped. She just realized her hand was being held when the naughty animal intruded to bite on Clayton's fingers again. 

"Milk, no!" She yelped, pulling him away.

Clayton hissed while glaring at the tiny maneater trying to eat him. Ayan grabbed his punctured finger and hurriedly cleaned it with water a few times. 

"Oh, you naughty cat!" She muttered when applying antibiotics. It wasn't the first time, sometimes there were even scratches from his tiny paws. 

Though Milk is only a cub, he is still a magical beast. His claws and teeth can already break the skin. Above her head, in an angle she couldn't see, Clayton glanced at the cat while thinking it wasn't so bad being bitten from time to time. At least the lady seems to be comfortable around him now.

Milk drooped his ears and looked at Clayton with wet eyes: I only wanted to play! 

He was answered by the male human's triumphant smirk. 

The cub's tears fell uncontrollably like rain: Uuuu… bad human! 

The stalemate was broken by a knock from the door. There were two big aunties carrying a large wooden barrel used for bathing. 

Ayan was distracted as she watched them place the tub behind a wooden partition and began bringing up buckets of steaming water.   

"Here 'ya go lad. One warm bath for the missus." The big aunt with a sturdy arm said while gesturing for the tub.

Truth to be told it was their first time seeing such a young and dazzling couple without some fancy clothes. They heard they had twins, the aunties eyes inadvertently swept Ayan's hips. Hmm, good shape. Narrow waist but round hips. No wonder she could give birth to two in one breath, and still such lovely children. 

The husband is also bursting with vigour. Tsk, tsk, what a good match.  

"For me?" Ayan pointed at herself puzzled.

"I figured you were tired from the trip."

Ayan's face that is to cool down went up in flames again. There is but a flimsy screen separating the bath and the sleeping area. How is she supposed to bathe while being stared at by a man? In the mountains, whenever she wanted to clean up, she would find a secluded brook or a pool hidden by a thicket. 

"A pity this room's on the highest floor, you could have tried our water pipe." the aunt broke her reverie.

"This inn also use a water pipe?" Clayton asked, crossing his arm on his chest. 

Last he came to Asturia, aqueducts are still under construction. He thought it would take a few years more before it could reach the other vassal states.

"Aye," the other aunt replied with a smile. "Tell you what, we fetch this water not from the bottom floor but the water closet on the second floor. Saves a lot of time, eh?"

Clayton nodded. "That is convenient indeed."   

Ayan remained trapped in her dilemma.

"You see, our land doesn't lack any water. It's everywhere so the lords decided to invest in water sources." 

After a brief talk, the aunts left and resumed their work.

"What about you?" Ayan fidgeted.

"There is a bathhouse not far from here, I will take the children with me." He said, "Feel free to use the room as you please. We will return before dinner."

Ayan took a short but relaxing bath in warm rose water. 

The travel was indeed very tiring considering how they were shaken from left to right for half a day. The door was tightly bolted so she put her mind at ease. The steam coming off the water had a faint floral scent in it, she only stepped out of the tub when the temperature cooled.

On the bed, her change of clothes was already spread. A pair of neatly folded underwear, a high waisted dark blue maxi skirt with a big bow at the back, a white long-sleeve blouse and a choice between a pelisse coat and a spencer jacket.   

Ever since she lost a lot of weight, she began wearing her clothes again. Thankfully she has a number of these long dresses that are similar to this world's current middling fashion which is not too shabby or too extravagant. If not, there are bolts of fabric in the warehouse she can pull and send to the seamstress since she cannot sew a whole dress herself. 

Asturia Empire is an open country despite having its own hierarchy. As long as you do not deliberately neglect or step on the rules, you are good to go. Perhaps it was because of the opening of the trade routes and the rise of the merchant class that those below the gentry can enjoy life as they see fit. 

Ayan put on the clothes transforming herself into a fine woman from the middle class. There were no expensive silver or golden threads, no lace or silks, furs and gems but the style is exquisite and gives off a fine silhouette. 

She plaited her hair then twisted it into a loose bun before finishing it with a dark blue crystal hairpin. Satisfied, she unlatched the bolt and waited for the men of her family to return. 

During dinner, Knoll's team arrived at the restaurant just across the inn. All of them are wearing dark faces. 

"Eliott went mad."

34